Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.0 vs 2000 ss

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, well I put on my tranny mount last night. And went for a test drive. 10x better but still need to do motor mounts. But, I still hear movment under the car going over bumps. Suspension, maybe? Any ideas?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
No one said a LSX wasn't a great motor. It was just said you aren't smart enough to make a Ford power plant run fast.
Or maybe they just dont want to go through all the trouble of trying to fit an overweight barn sized engine into the car, and then trying to get it to go fast.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Or maybe they just dont want to go through all the trouble of trying to fit an overweight barn sized engine into the car, and then trying to get it to go fast.
If that's the case, they haven't learned enough about the 302 or 351W engine. Maybe some people think replacing several additional parts is good for their wallet...
Old 04-03-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lmao

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
No one said a LSX wasn't a great motor. It was just said you aren't smart enough to make a Ford power plant run fast.
Yes, it really takes a rocket size to make power in a Ford motor vs. a chevy On second thought, I think you do need to be a rocket scientist to make power in a 2V or 3V
Old 04-04-2011, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
Yes, it really takes a rocket size to make power in a Ford motor vs. a chevy
GM small blocks are widely considered the "easiest to build" V8 on earth. Ford and Dodge require some thought. Back in the 70's and right into the 90's, it was commonly said that "any monkey can build a SBC, but to build a Ford you'll need to think."
On second thought, I think you do need to be a rocket scientist to make power in a 2V or 3V
Not really... Apply turbo or supercharger... run 12's. It's almost that easy with those engines. To run REALLY quick... Yeah, you need a clue here and there. The thing is, 302 and 351W based engines are included in this conversation(along with any other viable V8 one may like- even the LS series). Therefore, it really doesn't matter how hard it is to build a 4.6L and that's almost the entire reason we're talking about a swap. To me, it's a waste of time, money and engery to use basically any engine not based on the W block for any Mustang. I wouldn't bother using a Ford engine in a Camaro either, because the LS is available for those.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
If that's the case, they haven't learned enough about the 302 or 351W engine. Maybe some people think replacing several additional parts is good for their wallet...
Ah, thought you were talking about 4.6l engines... Those pushrods aren't too bad.
Ever consider people buying a fox body roller? Maybe they have an LSx laying around, or got one for dirt cheap... I know you hate the idea, but theres no getting around the fact its still a good swap.

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Not really... Apply turbo or supercharger... run 12's. It's almost that easy with those engines.
lol... FI = 12s for you, bolt ons = 12s for us...
Old 04-04-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Ah, thought you were talking about 4.6l engines... Those pushrods aren't too bad.
Aren't too bad? Heh... As if they're not outstanding.
Ever consider people buying a fox body roller? Maybe they have an LSx laying around, or got one for dirt cheap... I know you hate the idea, but theres no getting around the fact its still a good swap.
Hmm... Maybe it's me, but I thought I covered that thought in just about my 1st response to the LS idea. If not, I know I have in the past.

It's not that I hate the idea. It's that a 351W base, at least, should be considered for most because it's long been proven. All said, it's less expensive than the LS and so far, it's way quicker for those who wanna get serious. I'd not opt to use an LS in a Mustang for drag racing... Someone else has already used the 351 and I'd be embarrassed to go through all that trouble, only to have my *** handed to me on the drag strip by a less expensive, more powerful, factory based build. Considering which LS based engines are "cheap" compared to a 351W, I'd stick with Ford on this one.

The LS is a good swap. The 351W is a better than LS swap.

lol... FI = 12s for you, bolt ons = 12s for us...
For me? No... I have a 4.6L engine, but it's not in a Mustang and it's factory stock. I could build a 4.6L to run 12's on motor though, in a Mustang, no question in my mind. My point was, using a simple approach can net long term results. There are plenty of FI Mustangs running quicker than 12's, many with little else done.

If 12's was the ultimate goal, I'd just say trade it on a new one and go race.