Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

'11 5.0 Vs. '98 SS *Video*

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
LOL.....I'm very curious as to why your car had the JE pistons and carillo rods installed as well. Only reason I can see the previous owner doing that on a stock LS6 is to.........lower compression for boost, which could be why your set up dynoed so low. That would blow *** if your at like 8.5:1 and trying to build your car all motor.
Agreed. Like Redfire pointed out earlier with the LS6 head being slightly smaller at 65cc which raises comp. to about 10.6:1. Could explain the piston swap. That could explain the low dyno numbers. Then such a small cam. its obvious the prev. owners intentions were to run boost. I wonder what the CR is now?

Last edited by LT/LS Guy; 04-04-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:59 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Dude get that thing tuned. You should pick up at least 20...maybe 40 rwhp. Check my sig, that's a stock ls6. You should have no problem with a 5.0 from a roll. Not knockin op's car but yours should run way better.
I know LS6s are very strong engines, but a GREAT trap speed for a stock C5 Z06 would be 119-120mph. So where did you pick up an extra ~5mph in a heavier F-body? Are your bolt-ons just that effective?
Edit: Just in case it sounds like I'm doubting what's done to your car, know that I'm not at all. I guess you just have a combo that really works well.
Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
Agreed. Like Redfire pointed out earlier with the LS6 head being slightly smaller at 65cc which raises comp. to about 10.6:1. Could explain the piston swap. That could explain the low dyno numbers. Then such a small cam. its obvious the prev. owners intentions were to run boost. I wonder what the CR is now?
Makes sense
Old 04-04-2011, 05:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by itsslow98
410-420 with just a tune and cold air intake on the 2011s, good for 118mph trap speeds, thats rolling. Good runs OP. Mu brother has a JLT and handheld from Amazon Racing thats hes waiting to put on after Ford fixes the Tranny.
A friend of mine has full exhaust, cold air intake, and tune. He only put down 425rwhp.

Just throwing that out there..
Old 04-04-2011, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 433 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I know LS6s are very strong engines, but a GREAT trap speed for a stock C5 Z06 would be 119-120mph. So where did you pick up an extra ~5mph in a heavier F-body? Are your bolt-ons just that effective?
Edit: Just in case it sounds like I'm doubting what's done to your car, know that I'm not at all. I guess you just have a combo that really works well.

Makes sense
Thanks. It's been a evolution in finding the right parts and tinkering. My SS is light @ 3100, actually a little less now since I ran last. It is still a complete car with all creature comforts (even airbags but their about to go)and sounddeadening and is my DD. I just like to optimise setups. It would probally go faster with a better 60' but with the 10 bolt and 6sp it's tuff. I want to see it go 10 before I take it out and put the ls7 in. I've been foolin with this car for 12 yrs and engine for 9 yrs.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by brians91formula
A friend of mine has full exhaust, cold air intake, and tune. He only put down 425rwhp.

Just throwing that out there..
Thats what Ive seen mostly too either 411 is a little high or headers dont do squat on these cars which i doubt lol.
Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Thanks. It's been a evolution in finding the right parts and tinkering. My SS is light @ 3100, actually a little less now since I ran last. It is still a complete car with all creature comforts (even airbags but their about to go)and sounddeadening and is my DD. I just like to optimise setups. It would probally go faster with a better 60' but with the 10 bolt and 6sp it's tuff. I want to see it go 10 before I take it out and put the ls7 in. I've been foolin with this car for 12 yrs and engine for 9 yrs.
What did the car run at full weight with just the ls6 and bolt ons? I think that is a good representation of what this car should run
Old 04-04-2011, 09:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 433 Likes on 340 Posts

11.80@119.8 on 18's no dr and poopy mac headers
Old 04-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by egott_91
LS6 cam and LS6 heads is what he's saying. So, the cam and heads that came on Z06's.
Did everyone and their brother miss the fact that the OP listed the camaro as a 1995 with LS6 heads/cam? Kinda hard to put LS heads on a LT1!

All you guys were so busy either raving on the 5.0 or defending a LS6 that you missed that. tsk tsk, what is happening to the kill section when not a single regular catches such a blatant typo? lol
'95 SS Mods:
LS6 swap heads and cam
Full lenght headers
slp cat-back
Typhoon intake manifold
Slp smooth bellows
slp lid
Full suspension with ebiach lowering springs
JE pistons
carillo rods
comp lifters
Monster Clutch
Old 04-05-2011, 06:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Did everyone and their brother miss the fact that the OP listed the camaro as a 1995 with LS6 heads/cam? Kinda hard to put LS heads on a LT1!

All you guys were so busy either raving on the 5.0 or defending a LS6 that you missed that. tsk tsk, what is happening to the kill section when not a single regular catches such a blatant typo? lol
Impressive catch! typo fixed.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones

Heh... Yeah well... The title said '98, the vid said '98, car looks like a '98, the swap stuff is LS, both are members here and active in the thread... NOPE... Didn't catch it! Someone probably noted and didn't care.

Most of us probably just played the video. That's what I did.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HHHHMMMMM may have my work cut out for me, but I still say a stock Grandnational will smoke you. Those 5.0s are strong for sure."The force is strong with you"
Old 04-05-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MillsMotorvation
HHHHMMMMM may have my work cut out for me, but I still say a stock Grandnational will smoke you. Those 5.0s are strong for sure."The force is strong with you"
A stock GN will smoke what? That, I'm not sure of, but if you're thinking it will smoke either a 98 SS or a new 5L, I think YOU are already smoking something!

A GN-X would show a good effort, but a stock regular GN would have almost no chance in a drag race, let alone handling contest. Great for what it is, it's no competition for most of todays "sports oriented" cars.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanna try

Good races
Old 04-05-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
A stock GN will smoke what? That, I'm not sure of, but if you're thinking it will smoke either a 98 SS or a new 5L, I think YOU are already smoking something!

A GN-X would show a good effort, but a stock regular GN would have almost no chance in a drag race, let alone handling contest. Great for what it is, it's no competition for most of todays "sports oriented" cars.
minimal mods on a GN would smoke about 90% of todays sports oriented cars from a dig on the street without a doubt. try it out and let me know how it goes for you.

and btw the GNX werent a whole lot faster then regular GNs.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by itsslow98
minimal mods on a GN would smoke about 90% of todays sports oriented cars from a dig on the street without a doubt. try it out and let me know how it goes for you.
I'm well aware of their potential. That potential isn't stock once implemented. I'm not too concerned w/ most GN's. It isn't like the majority are 9 second cars. Btw, you need a 200-4r for one? I don't need mine anymore.

and btw the GNX werent a whole lot faster then regular GNs.
Yes they were. When I raced "the family cruiser" it ran 14.40's stock. A real GN-X would nail 13.4's with a good driver with no trouble. No amount of great driver was going to get close to that in an otherwise stock standard production GN. The X was simply all by itself in its class and romped on even the Corvette back then, at least in a drag race.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

I'm well aware of their potential. That potential isn't stock once implemented. I'm not too concerned w/ most GN's. It isn't like the majority are 9 second cars. Btw, you need a 200-4r for one? I don't need mine anymore.

Yes they were. When I raced "the family cruiser" it ran 14.40's stock. A real GN-X would nail 13.4's with a good driver with no trouble. No amount of great driver was going to get close to that in an otherwise stock standard production GN. The X was simply all by itself in its class and romped on even the Corvette back then, at least in a drag race.
I wouldn't put a G/N as being that slow now. lol A decent launch should get one in the 14.0-range. But your right about the X being much faster. Atleast by a 1/2 second in the quarter with all things being equal.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Well... The one I drove to the track and raced wasn't any quicker stock, and I've seen at least 50 orhers that weren't. I have read that some ran as quick as 13.8, which I never really believed because I honestly never saw a factory stock one break into the 14.10's. I saw a few run .20's. Ours was an '86 though... I should add, I'm just talkin' about 1 track, back when it wasn't such a good track.

Still, the GN-X would easily outrun the base version right up to its speed limiter. I've seen those "at work" and they were quite impressive. Any intercooled GN is, really. It's not as heavy as it looks, but it is more powerful than it looks.The X though... In 1987, those ET's were unheard of in any American vehicle.

Today, a well driven stock SS or M- GT will easily beat the GN-X, quite frankly and when those two finish their quarter mile, they'e all over the limited speed governer of the X. So... it would simply never catch up.

GN's were great, but that was then and today they just haven't a prayer against these new pony cars unless they're modified.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Well... The one I drove to the track and raced wasn't any quicker stock, and I've seen at least 50 orhers that weren't. I have read that some ran as quick as 13.8, which I never really believed because I honestly never saw a factory stock one break into the 14.10's. I saw a few run .20's. Ours was an '86 though... I should add, I'm just talkin' about 1 track, back when it wasn't such a good track.
The '87 GN's got a bump of about 10-15rwhp. They were rated 245 at the fly (vs. 235 for '86). Ive seen them go high 13s/14-flat all day on numerous occasion. The lighter "WE4" Turbo T was even quicker.

Still, the GN-X would easily outrun the base version right up to its speed limiter. I've seen those "at work" and they were quite impressive. Any intercooled GN is, really. It's not as heavy as it looks, but it is more powerful than it looks.The X though... In 1987, those ET's were unheard of in any American vehicle.
They weren't too on the light side either. A base WE4 coupe weighed in at just under 3500 while a fully loaded GN sat right at 3800.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:18 PM
***Repost Police***

Buddy of mine has a lightly modded GORGEOUS '87 GN. I'll ask him if he has any pictures.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
The '87 GN's got a bump of about 10-15rwhp. They were rated 245 at the fly (vs. 235 for '86). Ive seen them go high 13s/14-flat all day on numerous occasion. The lighter "WE4" Turbo T was even quicker.

They weren't too on the light side either. A base WE4 coupe weighed in at just under 3500 while a fully loaded GN sat right at 3800.
Still not too bad considering they were body-on-frame construction and were all metal...even the bumpers.

One of my friends has a few GNs ('86 and a '87), and another has a '86 he's owned since new...with mods they are a blast to drive.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:19 AM
Teching In

get some 4.10's and run him for 100 lol