Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Odarabla's infinite BS thread for the foreskinned (AKA Smack Down)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adamantium
Id like to but atm im investing money into alot of **** so eventually i might if the car doesn't sell. I got someone coming to see the car soon so who knows. If not its not big deal, ill just build a v6 or a fox or something. I like my car but as a toy there are lighter chassis to begin with.
Fair enough. Good luck with the investments, hope it pays off.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:13 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks man.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

L92/Ls3 is for sale.
Ghey.
kills me more that i have to sell the L92
Still ghey.
Originally Posted by Gt4urass
It's pretty hard to beat an F body from a performance/dollar standpoint, but retail is certainly not their strongpoint lol.
Buddy has an Fbody with $10k into it including the cost of car that ran a 9.9@140.
Originally Posted by "MAC"
O5 black ls2 vette with 77k miles looks clean and stock under the hood has Borla cat back exhaust or just Borla tips on it. Guy wants 25,500 its an auto as well. Is it worth it or no?
I really want to sell you something.
Originally Posted by 427zm
No. 22 period. He doesn't take it, move on.
This.
Id like to but atm im investing money into alot of ****
Not sure what type of investments you are talking about, but if they are the adult ones, let me know if you want some advice.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:15 AM
Banned

I was thinking more on the lines of 18 to 20k for that car thats what kbb prices them at. Hell i even found a ls2 with a nitrous kit up to a 300 shot (if im not mistaken) on it built engine for sell for 25k. Id buy the built one over this stock one any day.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:47 AM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Well you paid too much thats what he told me, my dad n lil brother lol
Go ahead and get you on of those then, see how much you actually spend. Do you know what it costs to build a 1000 whp capable motor, fuel system, drivetrain?
Originally Posted by ZNix
How much?
4k. Eagle crank, Callies rods, wiesco pistons, clevite bearings, melling oil pump, arp head studs, main studs, 243 heads. 0 miles.

There you go Mac, a 1kwhp capable motor at a discount, doesn't leave you much money to finish lol.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:01 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sw07gt
Go ahead and get you on of those then, see how much you actually spend. Do you know what it costs to build a 1000 whp capable motor, fuel system, drivetrain?

4k. Eagle crank, Callies rods, wiesco pistons, clevite bearings, melling oil pump, arp head studs, main studs, 243 heads. 0 miles.

There you go Mac, a 1kwhp capable motor at a discount, doesn't leave you much money to finish lol.
Add in about 6K for a reliable turbo kit with a good fuel system (on the low side), about 3K for a decent rear to hold all that power, and 3K for a transmission. You're well over 7k, unless MAC is going to do the typical Fbody owner thing and just put all that power in there and not do anything to the trans/suspension/rear and not be able to put it down.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:52 AM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I had about 7k in the motor, 6k in the turbo kit, 4k in the trans, 1200 for a converter, 1500 in the fuel system, the rear would have been another 2k if I hadn't bought a car with it. Plus all the misc bullshit. It adds up fast.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

I had about 7k in the motor, 6k in the turbo kit, 4k in the trans, 1200 for a converter, 1500 in the fuel system, the rear would have been another 2k if I hadn't bought a car with it. Plus all the misc bullshit. It adds up fast.
Yep. Even a H/C car with decent heads is going to cost you when you factor putting it to the ground. I had around 8000$ in my WS6 and still hadn't done the rear end yet. I'd hate to calculate how much money I've spent on modding over the years, I'd probably have a heart attack. And that's buying a lot of things used off the forums.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:11 AM
9 Second Club

Yes it does. I learned that all to well with my TA and I'm glad I built it with quality components. The next car is going to be a budget beater with a chinese turbo on a junkyard pullout. **** it, stock 4l80e/converter with a shift kit. Stock motor with new springs, cam, gaskets, and 80lb injectors. Ebay **** components because I want to see what I can get away with in a 600-700whp fun **** box.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Close to $15k just in the motor of a POS LT1 .
Old 05-07-2014, 09:35 AM
7 Second Club

Received 315 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
Close to $15k just in the motor of a POS LT1 .
Dats gay. lol

Mac will be at 1000whp for $7k. Y'all have waaaay over spent.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by islander033
Dats gay. lol

Hahaha NA is expensive for a dinosaur :p.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by islander033
Dats gay. lol

More like 0 cause that **** will probably go POP as soon as it starts up the first time. I've been into cars for long enough to know you get what you pay for. LOL
Old 05-07-2014, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by willizm
Yes it does. I learned that all to well with my TA and I'm glad I built it with quality components. The next car is going to be a budget beater with a chinese turbo on a junkyard pullout. **** it, stock 4l80e/converter with a shift kit. Stock motor with new springs, cam, gaskets, and 80lb injectors. Ebay **** components because I want to see what I can get away with in a 600-700whp fun **** box.
There's something to say about both a solid motor build and a JY build. I appreciate both. A nicely built motor is neat in that it's completely finished out and will live a long while. A JY build IMO is cool as well, b/c of its modularity and the fact that the car isn't built as much around a motor, but more around a turbo setup, w/ the motor being a throwaway. Denmah, is the king of this!
Old 05-07-2014, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was thinking more on the lines of 18 to 20k for that car thats what kbb prices them at. Hell i even found a ls2 with a nitrous kit up to a 300 shot (if im not mistaken) on it built engine for sell for 25k. Id buy the built one over this stock one any day.
You don't always get what you pay for with a built car. Could also be buying somebody's mistakes.
Buy it people! So I'm not tempted to...
Originally Posted by wooddaniel
Add in about 6K for a reliable turbo kit with a good fuel system (on the low side), about 3K for a decent rear to hold all that power, and 3K for a transmission. You're well over 7k, unless MAC is going to do the typical Fbody owner thing and just put all that power in there and not do anything to the trans/suspension/rear and not be able to put it down.
Meh, you can fab your own turbo kit for much cheaper.

We have 4 local turbo kits now done with a cheap harbor freight welder with 0 issues thus far.

I've also hated how most guys only focus on power and nothing else. A few local turbo guys did that last season and wondered why their cars ran like dog ****. Now thankfully they are seeing the light and running 4l80s, 9" rears, and suspension.
Originally Posted by willizm
You did get a good deal on the 6.0/4l80. Most claim the 5.3 is better for boost, but Andy is clearly getting things done with his 6.0. As far as the 4l80, with a shift kit, quality circle d stall, and a quality cooler, it will take A LOT of abuse. More so than most built 4l60s.

The one Andy ran 9's on he got from the east side for $200 or $250
There's something to say about both a solid motor build and a JY build. I appreciate both. A nicely built motor is neat in that it's completely finished out and will live a long while. A JY build IMO is cool as well, b/c of its modularity and the fact that the car isn't built as much around a motor, but more around a turbo setup, w/ the motor being a throwaway. Denmah, is the king of this!
I just think it is fun to see how much you can push the budget builds, but also enjoy the feeling of knowing I can run the car and make it home that night.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:10 AM
9 Second Club

The 5.3 is more desirable because it's generally cheaper and using some of the smaller turbos they can be pushed a little further than on a bigger cube motor. I only bought the 6.0 because I got all the matching **** for it from air box to driveshaft for too good a price. The way I see it is I'll end up getting a nice multidisk converter in the future for the TA. I'll "hand me down" the yank py3400 I have toward this build. Stock 80e converters will hold up to the abuse, they will just be turds until you get a proper stall.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Meh, you can fab your own turbo kit for much cheaper.

We have 4 local turbo kits now done with a cheap harbor freight welder with 0 issues thus far.

I've also hated how most guys only focus on power and nothing else. A few local turbo guys did that last season and wondered why their cars ran like dog ****. Now thankfully they are seeing the light and running 4l80s, 9" rears, and suspension.
I was just throwing out a ballpark, I'm sure someone with the knowledge of how to fab one could do it cheaper. Keep in mind I was including the fuel system in there too.

The below statement is why I did all of the suspension/transmission work on my WS6 before I did the heads/cam combo. Was saving for a rear when I was forced to sell it cause of my divorce. If I found that car for sale I'd buy it back in a heartbeat.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:47 AM
9 Second Club

I feel the same way. I can appreciate both schools of thought pretty equally. It's amazing what some folks can get away with on stock bottom end cars and just have fun while having a **** if I care attitude. I watch alot of the Denmah videos just because I think the guy is hilarious when he talks about how he goes about different things that would make most people cringe.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I really don't wanna deal with replacing my window regulator currently, I can move the window by hand and it will hold its place just cant use the handle, been driving around with it since late last year and forgot to address it over the winter. Think I can get past tech with just wedging the window shut? If not I'll switch it but I'm lazy
Old 05-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Banned

Getting NOS tomorrow 100 shot not 200 shot

Quick Reply: Odarabla's infinite BS thread for the foreskinned (AKA Smack Down)