Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Odarabla's infinite BS thread for the foreskinned (AKA Smack Down)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by "MAC"
Where you been? Did you get a new vette? If i remember right your vette got totaled a while back?
Mainly been moving: career move w/ my same company but in Austin. As for the Vette: Yes, I did, and yes it did. I bought the Red C6Z in my avatar. It's currently in the shop getting a bunch of improvements made.... Cam swap, milling the PRC 265's, ported Fast, NW 102, LG CF CAI, LG Catback, LG coilovers, 2 piece rotors, and new MGW and shifter box. Overall, it's losing 70lbs, 40 of which is unsprung mass.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No PBs today. Nam was packed..only got four runs in. However, tires are working awesome. Track was actually pretty good too. I apparently need to throw them a lot more RPM or some pressure, because I started them at 15 cold and it bogged all the way to 5500 RPM clutch drops. Wish I would've been able to get another run and dump it at 6k but way too many cars already lined up at 4:30.

First run was basically to break in the slicks...second run I had adjusted the MC because it was too close to the floor and I think I was letting off too slow and it wasn't hitting the tires, and the next runs 5k and 5.5k launches bogged off the line (1.78 60s). Gonna be good at our fall Dragging Rights and I might have to limiter dump it with how sticky that track is going to be! Lol. Last two runs, nearly identical (5k and 5.5k clutch drops). I think because the car is so heavy it really likes the stiff sidewall, so we'll see what happens when I can throw more at it.

Last edited by Guitar; 10-19-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Guitar
No PBs today. Nam was packed..only got four runs in. However, tires are working awesome. Track was actually pretty good too. I apparently need to throw them a lot more RPM or some pressure, because I started them at 15 cold and it bogged all the way to 5500 RPM clutch drops. Wish I would've been able to get another run and dump it at 6k but way too many cars already lined up at 4:30.

First run was basically to break in the slicks...second run I had adjusted the MC because it was too close to the floor and I think I was letting off too slow and it wasn't hitting the tires, and the next runs 5k and 5.5k launches bogged off the line (1.78 60s). Gonna be good at our fall Dragging Rights and I might have to limiter dump it with how sticky that track is going to be! Lol. Last two runs, nearly identical (5k and 5.5k clutch drops). I think because the car is so heavy it really likes the stiff sidewall, so we'll see what happens when I can throw more at it.

With cooler weather, and a higher launch rpm; you should get a new best next time at the track
Old 10-19-2014, 07:07 PM
***Repost Police***

Definitely pretty effin consistent.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job, man! Like the 60' especially. Now, I know I will get my *** handed to me both on the street and at the track.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been better 60' - the 60s were good but because the car bogged the 330 was bad and the 1/8th was only 7.9. Good 1/8th will be low 7.70 and get me where I want to be. DA was about 650 today (My personal best it was 100) and I wasn't exactly power shifting like I normally do (because normally the trans acts up but today it was doing okay). Dragging Rights should be pretty good.

I've got two options I can do at this point: Keep the car as is, get the 11, spray it next year. Don't get the 11 at DR, put the 4.30s in next year, go ahead and do Viking coilovers and MWC front suspension to keep working on the same setup and prepare for the turbo build which will happen either way. Spray is going to be more expensive and I'm still going to want to go turbo eventually...so thinking just keep working the car down cam only.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been better 60' - the 60s were good but because the car bogged the 330 was bad and the 1/8th was only 7.9. Good 1/8th will be low 7.70 and get me where I want to be. DA was about 650 today (My personal best it was 100) and I wasn't exactly power shifting like I normally do (because normally the trans acts up but today it was doing okay). Dragging Rights should be pretty good.

I've got two options I can do at this point: Keep the car as is, get the 11, spray it next year. Don't get the 11 at DR, put the 4.30s in next year, go ahead and do Viking coilovers and MWC front suspension to keep working on the same setup and prepare for the turbo build which will happen either way. Spray is going to be more expensive and I'm still going to want to go turbo eventually...so thinking just keep working the car down cam only.
Maybe we can give it a run at Dragging Rights. I am always up for a beating by a faster car. I find that it builds character. lol
Old 10-19-2014, 09:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 448 Likes on 354 Posts

Only a 1.78 60 on a slick?? Must need a driver mod. After all that's what you tell me about doin better 60's on less tire than you. I did 1.73 on a nitto 555r. 1.70 so far on my m&h dr. Want me give you some lessons?
Old 10-19-2014, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Only a 1.78 60 on a slick?? Must need a driver mod. After all that's what you tell me about doin better 60's on less tire than you. I did 1.73 on a nitto 555r. 1.70 so far on my m&h dr. Want me give you some lessons?
Well we all know you have problems with reading, so it's no wonder you missed the part where the car bogged to a 1.78 60'. You know what is sad? Your car being 800 pounds lighter and having 50 more horsepower..yet going not even a tenth faster to the 60' than my car. Now THAT is sad. Hell, I'd bet $50 I could go faster to the 60' in your car than you can. I went 1.77 on radials in my car a few times, again with 50 less horsepower and 800 more pounds. But sure, I'll take lessons from the guy stuck in the 11s for 15 years.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts

that's what my car was doing. on my last run I did a 4000+ dump and it would still just bog right out. zero tire spin. I was running really low pressure (10? psi). I obviously could have ran way more. I either need to slip the clutch or gear down to 4.10's. and air up some.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

Lol @ you. So you've never done a low 1.7 60 but yet want to loose money. You also just want to compare 60ft of the track.....lmao

and you lie about being 800lb heavier than me.

I out 60'd you in notch's car with 50 less hp than you have. Less gear and on stock suspension with a 10 bolt........all while you're on a slick.

You must need a driver mod.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by big hammer
that's what my car was doing. on my last run I did a 4000+ dump and it would still just bog right out. zero tire spin. I was running really low pressure (10? psi). I obviously could have ran way more. I either need to slip the clutch or gear down to 4.10's. and air up some.
You're on Hoosier DR right? As I've been told they're very close to a bias ply...but if they start spinning they're gonna keep spinning. Radials you have to slip the clutch - and some people swear by slipping the clutch with slicks but I've had better luck dumping it. That's the problem with radials. You need that little bit of spin on a stick car to keep the nose up but if it keeps spinning that's bad and if it bogs that's obviously bad too. These seem like they're gonna hook even on not so great track conditions, I've just gotta play with them more and you really can't do that when you have only four passes. I'm so used to making at least 10-15.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It would have gone faster with more air pressure and a little spin off the line. A bog kills et big time. You will get it there.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 427zm

Mainly been moving: career move w/ my same company but in Austin. As for the Vette: Yes, I did, and yes it did. I bought the Red C6Z in my avatar. It's currently in the shop getting a bunch of improvements made.... Cam swap, milling the PRC 265's, ported Fast, NW 102, LG CF CAI, LG Catback, LG coilovers, 2 piece rotors, and new MGW and shifter box. Overall, it's losing 70lbs, 40 of which is unsprung mass.
Nice congrats on the new Vette man. Glade you got another one lol. Any specific hp goal?
Old 10-19-2014, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

You're on Hoosier DR right? As I've been told they're very close to a bias ply...but if they start spinning they're gonna keep spinning. Radials you have to slip the clutch - and some people swear by slipping the clutch with slicks but I've had better luck dumping it. That's the problem with radials. You need that little bit of spin on a stick car to keep the nose up but if it keeps spinning that's bad and if it bogs that's obviously bad too. These seem like they're gonna hook even on not so great track conditions, I've just gotta play with them more and you really can't do that when you have only four passes. I'm so used to making at least 10-15.
yeah same I never got enough passes to play with it. traction was not an issue with the hoosiers.

I think 4.10's or 4.30's would help some of your problem.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:50 PM
Banned

I heard Hoosiers are finicky to use. Hell ive tried several times hot lapping my car and burning out just to manage a 1.9x 60' could of been the track prep which i heard and have always heard is **** at my local 8th mile but just telling what i heard and my experience from them. They however seem to hook fine on the road during summer weather though.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by big hammer
yeah same I never got enough passes to play with it. traction was not an issue with the hoosiers.

I think 4.10's or 4.30's would help some of your problem.
Before you had mentioned it I had made a thread asking about gear changes and if people thought it would help. Of course you have guys with auto experience in there going "oh no it's not gonna do much" but after some reading and then you mentioning it, kinda pushed me to say yeah. I had 4.30s that came with the rear and never should have put the 3.90s in but I really thought it would be just too much gear. But likely I'll do those next year before the season starts (as long as I don't spray it) and see what I gain.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:01 PM
Banned

Hey Sean just letting you know P. Manning holds the most TDs record now Cry baby aint even close...
Old 10-19-2014, 10:01 PM
10 Second Club

Before you had mentioned it I had made a thread asking about gear changes and if people thought it would help. Of course you have guys with auto experience in there going "oh no it's not gonna do much" but after some reading and then you mentioning it, kinda pushed me to say yeah. I had 4.30s that came with the rear and never should have put the 3.90s in but I really thought it would be just too much gear. But likely I'll do those next year before the season starts (as long as I don't spray it) and see what I gain.
yup after looking at your dyno sheet I think you have the rpm range to pull off 4.30's. right now you probably have a lot of rpm left going through the traps.

the taller gears do work well on the street though.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by "MAC"
I heard Hoosiers are finicky to use. Hell ive tried several times hot lapping my car and burning out just to manage a 1.9x 60' could of been the track prep which i heard and have always heard is **** at my local 8th mile but just telling what i heard and my experience from them. They however seem to hook fine on the road during summer weather though.
From my experience none of the dr's like a big burnout. Just clean them iff a bit and let'er rip.

Quick Reply: Odarabla's infinite BS thread for the foreskinned (AKA Smack Down)