Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Odarabla's infinite BS thread for the foreskinned (AKA Smack Down)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZFreie
Honestly, I wish I could have been there, sounds like a good story to be able to tell.

I'm sure your liver thanks your....
Well apparently she was smacking me and I was unresponsive. I thought it was common sense to use pressure points on someone who was drunk and clearly drinking a lot of whiskey.

But nope, she freaked the hell out, called an ambulance, proceeded to cry a whole lot, and meanwhile my drunk *** is telling the ambulance crew to F off and how I'm fine and all that jazz and apparently as they were carrying me out of the house my drunk *** I was flipping everybody off on the dance floor and hallways.

They let me go after about 10 minutes and I proceeded to go drink and dance more
Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Buddies 2013 5.0 lost a tranny today. Cost him 5k to get a better replacement.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Teching In

T56 magnums are $2700 that wasn't good enough?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by VodeAn
T56 magnums are $2700 that wasn't good enough?
They don't just bolt in. You have to have a nw driveshaft, then add a clutch, fly wheels, flywheel upgrade for 2011+,

http://www.jpcracing.com/tremec-magn...wheel-options/

Product Description

**** WE ARE TAKING ORDERS ON THESE UNITS NOW ****

**** If you have a Commerical Shipping Address you can use, Please call for Sale to Lower Shipping Total ****

Known unofficially as the S197 Magnum, this new 6-speed model will feature a direct-shift extension housing designed to eliminate the notoriously unpopular semi-remote factory shifter. Additionally, a slip yoke style interface will also make it easy to ditch the equally unpopular 2-piece driveshaft in favor of a more robust 1-piece arrangement.

As with all Magnum 6-speeds, TREMEC aims to put a 700 lb-ft. seal of approval on the new Mustang units, and will eventually offer them with both Magnum ratio packages to suit a variety of street and performance driving scenarios.

Great solution for 2011-2012 Ford Mustangs with fragile factory Getrag MT-82 transmissions! Also replacing the weak TR3650 and the shifting issue prone TR6060.

Two different ratio options are available:

2.66:1st 1.78:2nd 1.30:3rd 1.00:4th 0.74:5th 0.50:6th

2.97:1st 2.07:2nd 1.43:3rd 1.00:4th 0.80:5th 0.62:6th

Transmission will work with OEM slave cylinder on 2005-2010 GT, 2007-2009 GT500 and 2011-up GT/Boss (must remove oem aluminum spacer on 2011-up). 2010-up GT500 requires different Slave listed in options

***2011-up GT/BOSS require the Speed Calibration Box which is added into the cost of the package when selecting your vehicle***

***Aftermarket flywheel REQUIRED for 2007-up GT500 and 2011-up GT/Boss. Highly recommended for all applications***

Included in kit:

Magnum T-56 with your choice of gear set

Quicktime SFI bellhousing

Crossmember & Mount

Shifter Assembly

Dynotech Engineering Aluminum w/1350 non billet Yoke & Aluminum

SPEC Stage 2 Clutch Assembly

SPEC Billet Steel Flywheel

Features:

700lb-ft Torque Capacity 2.97 or 2.66 1st Gear 26 T Input Shaft Spline 31 T Output Shaft Spline
Old 01-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Chinese Getrag
Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Got back home today. Vegas was fun. Met Dan and Will. Cool dudes. Both tried to rape me but failed because I have aids and their loss in the end.

We think the Camaro has a dropped valve or rocker or lifter fucked up. It sounds def like valvetrain, but we won't know until later this week where we can take the valve covers off.

Also the sound is weird because we thought it may be coming from center of the block. We thought the TVS might be fucked internally but I highly doubt that. If we find nothing pulling valve covers, and then heads, I may be going turbo boys!

Also pulled the spark plugs. Very serious sign of pre ignition. The tips are round. I think I may have been running too warm which is weird because I'm running ZR1 plugs, which I know now suck dick.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll never understand how a brand new car can fail SO bad with a manual transmission. I think it is WORSE than the Fbomb 10-bolt, which was absolutely stupid on GM's part.

The fact that you buy a brand new car and have to then drop $5k on a transmission... Jeez!

I'm also a tight wad, so don't mind me
Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
I'll never understand how a brand new car can fail SO bad with a manual transmission. I think it is WORSE than the Fbomb 10-bolt, which was absolutely stupid on GM's part.

The fact that you buy a brand new car and have to then drop $5k on a transmission... Jeez!

I'm also a tight wad, so don't mind me
While I do agree that it's pitiful, putting the 10-bolt in the V8 F-bodies was worse I think. I don't think Ford knew that the MT-82 wouldn't stand up to abuse (because it doesn't happen often at all, and it isn't necessarily immediate), whereas GM absolutely HAD to know that a 10-bolt rearend wouldn't stand up to abuse behind an engine with 350lb/ft of torque (manual transmission cars mostly).
Old 01-22-2013, 12:30 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
While I do agree that it's pitiful, putting the 10-bolt in the V8 F-bodies was worse I think. I don't think Ford knew that the MT-82 wouldn't stand up to abuse (because it doesn't happen often at all, and it isn't necessarily immediate), whereas GM absolutely HAD to know that a 10-bolt rearend wouldn't stand up to abuse behind an engine with 350lb/ft of torque (manual transmission cars mostly).

Hey, lets install a china made transmission in our muscle car and not honor warranty because you power shifted it, i mean who power shifts a muscle car anyways?

Hey, lets put a rear we've known to be a big POS since the beginning of time in our muscle car.

Upgrading a 10 bolt is alot cheaper than it is to upgrade a manual trans for the coyote.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 AM
***Repost Police***

Most people had no warranty issues, and you basically highlighted my point; GM (and the rest of the world) knew how terrible the 10-bolt was. Hell, the V8 Mustangs got an 8.8 rearend more than 10 years before the 4th gen F-body came out. The car was knowingly under-equipped in that department. Ford is guilty of penny-pinching, but you can't say that they released a car with an occasionally-defective transmission intentionally.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adamantium
Upgrading a 10 bolt is alot cheaper than it is to upgrade a manual trans for the coyote.
That is my thoughts as well. Upgrading a transmission is much more than a rear
Old 01-22-2013, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ford is guilty of penny-pinching, but you can't say that they released a car with an occasionally-defective transmission intentionally.
An MT82 is rated for less torque than the 5.0 puts out, is it not?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Buddies 2013 5.0 lost a tranny today. Cost him 5k to get a better replacement.

....that. $5k for a tranny is ******* ridiculous, even assuming you need new DS/clutch/etc.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:47 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
An MT82 is rated for less torque than the 5.0 puts out, is it not?
From my understanding, it isn't. I did a quick search and came across several posts like this;

I own a Getrag equipped 5.0 GT and I know exactly what they are talking about. Ford issued a TSB on the 31st of March that instructed the owners to change the Motorcraft full synthetic manual transmission fluid to Motorcraft Dual Clutch transmission fluid. The fluid that came in the Getrag MT82 from the factory was too thick and cause a problem they call "cold shifting", the new fluids viscosity is suitable for all temperatures and conditions but I myself will not be rushing to change it right yet. When the transmission was cold the shifter would take a little more effort to shift and sometimes make a sound. The "grinding" is not like the grind you would get from not knowing how to shift, not like a gear grinding sound. It is more like a "shifter clunk". It also took a little more effort as I said but after the car warmed up (about 5 minutes) the transmission shifted more smoothly than any car I have ever owned. Here is the TSB from Ford
Some 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles equipped with a MT82 6-speed manual transmission may exhibit increased shift efforts in cold ambient temperatures. This is usually most noticeable in 1st and 2nd gears but may also be noticed in 3rd through 6th gears. The increased shift effort may be the result of the increased viscosity of the transmission fluid in cold weather.
Some 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles equipped with a MT82 6-speed manual transmission may exhibit increased shift efforts in cold ambient temperatures. This is usually most noticeable in 1st and 2nd gears but may also be noticed in 3rd through 6th gears. The increased shift effort may be the result of the increased viscosity of the transmission fluid in cold weather.
http://www.stangnet.com/2011/04/12/m...hifting-issue/
You will also notice that the problem is in the V6 and the V8. This is because the Getrag MT82 (or as the model is called in Germany, Getrag 6MT1500) is the exact same in both cars. Before anyone begins to question the decision to use the same transmission in both V6/V8, hear me out. The decision to use the Getrag in both models has reduced the production cost by 50%, this means that a brand new Getrag MT82 only cost me $2300 as opposed to the TR6060 M10 that cost $4300. This also makes it easier for me to find a junkyard Getrag from a 3.7 V6 or a lot of other Ford vehicles that will be using them to replace my transmission if anything would happen. The transmission gear ratio's are superior to anything Tremec currently runs, the first gear ratio is a stout 3.66 and my favorite thing about it, it only has one overdrive where most Tremec's carry two. It is rated from Germany at 370 pound feet of torque at a gross vehicle weight of 9350lbs.

I know 370 torque is not a high number but here is the kicker, actually two kickers. First, most foreign transmission manufacturers (as in those that do not recognize torque as a unit of measurement) use a different method for rating transmissions. They rate a transmission on sustained torque as most engines/transmissions do not use "peak torque" for an extended period of time. This rating would be much lower than a maximum torque rating that is validated by high peak numbers instead of a torque application over a period of time. Think of it as a Dynojet vs. a Mustang Dyno, one takes into consideration of real world occurrences where the other is maximum reading without other factors being calculated. Both methods are true ratings, they are just validating the hardware differently.

Secondly, Getrag/Ford based the Getrag MT82 off of Fords new engine lineup. The MT82 was tuned to the 5.0 engine but was validated at an extreme weight being 9350lbs. Tremec builds and rates their transmissions specifically for a vehicle upon request from the manufacturer. The Cadillac CTS-V for example, uses a TR6060 MG9 that is rated 560 torque and only 4250 pounds. That torque remember is a maximum torque rating and the transmission was validated at the vehicles weight. If the Getrag MT82 was validated at a 4250 pound maximum weight, the torque validation would be almost twice the current 369 or 738 pound feet of torque, minus 8% so, 679ft lbs at 4255lbs. We all know that the Mustang doesn't weigh 4250lbs but that is just a reference on how well the Germans can engineer... anything.... I think the tuner shops (Livernois and Lethal) have proved that the transmission works at very high levels.

Sorry for the extended post, but I would not trade my Getrag in for a Tremec. Once the fluid warms up, it has a short and quick shift, its precise in movement with beautiful shift gates. It is lightweight, compact and very cheap to own. I love this transmission and thanks for reading…... http://www.getrag.de/en/235
Old 01-22-2013, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

From my understanding, it isn't. I did a quick search and came across several posts like this;
Thanks for the info. I wasn't really sure as I've never really looked at purchasing one
Old 01-22-2013, 01:41 AM
Banned

Most people had no warranty issues, and you basically highlighted my point; GM (and the rest of the world) knew how terrible the 10-bolt was. Hell, the V8 Mustangs got an 8.8 rearend more than 10 years before the 4th gen F-body came out. The car was knowingly under-equipped in that department. Ford is guilty of penny-pinching, but you can't say that they released a car with an occasionally-defective transmission intentionally.
Occasionally? lol Every single M6 coyote that i have seen in person has some sort of transmission issue. My buddies when it had 3k miles wouldn't go into gear at high RPM's, if he tried to powershift or quick shift it it would grind or spit the gear out, and then the pedal would stick to the floor. Keep in mind this is a car with 3000 miles. Not sure if ford honored it or not. I think evan should chime in on this, he has more knowledge about this then you or i do.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I think I'm about to loose my 2-3 bands in my 4l60e . Took it out the other day and it feels like it's slipping going from 2nd to 3rd gear. Only 52k miles
Old 01-22-2013, 03:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The MT82 Getrag trans is obviously a piece of ****, because its Getrag.

First gen CTS-Vs leave their diffs looking like this:

And guess what company makes the diff?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:28 AM
10 Second Club

The manuals trans are junk. Plain and simple. I broke one with full bolt ons power shifting. And Ford did cover it. It then started acting stupid with a few hard shifts with the blower. That's why I got rid of it.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:54 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
Well I think I'm about to loose my 2-3 bands in my 4l60e . Took it out the other day and it feels like it's slipping going from 2nd to 3rd gear. Only 52k miles
I blew my built 4l65e twice due to loading 3-4 clutches within a couple thousand miles of each other. Get a 80e and call it a day

Quick Reply: Odarabla's infinite BS thread for the foreskinned (AKA Smack Down)