Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.0 vs 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Speak for your own turd. My '02 happens to be in mint condition, 66k mile 2nd owner...runs like new. It may be old but surely not 'worn out'.

Now if you mean "outdated" then I agree with you.
yeah man i'm with you all day long with the whole " our cars are mint still" subject..i got only 58k miles on my procharged 99 SS...i take god care of it and bought it from the original owner who was an old guy who also took care of it...check it out and tell me what you think about it

please forgive my redneckness..and the fact i had all my mods written down..i have alot of mods and i got a bad memory too lol...oh and also the fact i left my keys in the garage lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrRLq...el_video_title
Old 07-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
So quit saying you have a 10 second car dipshit

And that is pathetic you need a 346+cid motor, a supercharger, AND meth injection to run 10.9
see..and this is how i can either tell you are a dumb ***..or have no REAL expreience in racing..and i hope your lil 308 RWHP stang thats in your sig is faster by now..because if not..you have nothing to teach me NOR the room to even talk.. i mean seriously dude...how easy is it to get into the 10's?..tell me all mighty car builder?...if it was easy then half the cars on the road would be running 10's dont' you think...you say oh i have this and that and still not running a 10....STFU...lets look at the facts here..first of all!!..i dont' have a 346+ cubic inch engine it is a 346( NO PLUS!!)..stock bottom end and STOCK heads never even been touched..it also has a stockish LS6 intake...and you say a supercharger..i have pretty much the base model Procharger wich is the P1..there is a smaller one tho but still..i'm not rocking a D1 or F1 or anything...and you bring up water/meth like it's some HUUGE mod..really guy...she **** is'nt nitrous..i use it merely to make my stock bottom end car run a lil safer while maybe running a lil more boost..nothing that sits you head back when it sprays...and lets also look at the fact that most ppl running an F body into the 10's is running a higher gear ratio with a 12 bolt or 9 inch..i'm still running a wimpy 10 bolt with stock 3.23 gears...with just changing those out will drop 4 or more tenths...and the tranny is built and has a 3k stall..and a lil bit of BMR chasis upgrades but thats about it...trust me..running 10's with a 10 bolt with 3.23 gears requires hard work...so stop the hatin..MR 308 RWHP..a 10 second pass requires more than a 346 mostly stock engine with a lil boost and water meth...go try it ...stop bench racing
Old 07-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ilovechevy1
yeah man i'm with you all day long with the whole " our cars are mint still" subject..i got only 58k miles on my procharged 99 SS...i take god care of it and bought it from the original owner who was an old guy who also took care of it...check it out and tell me what you think about it

please forgive my redneckness..and the fact i had all my mods written down..i have alot of mods and i got a bad memory too lol...oh and also the fact i left my keys in the garage lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrRLq...el_video_title
Looks sick man!! Lovin the fresh black paint. You've got good taste in suspension mods too; I've got BMR everything as well except the HAL QA1's and Bilsteins front. When are you thinking of stepping up to the D1 with forged internals?
Old 07-11-2011, 05:29 PM
***Repost Police***

yeah so it's a LQ4 block...it's still the exact same design wich even you seem to agree with...still an LS1..all the same parts bolt up ..it's a twin with a an iron block pretty much....

and lets be honest here..yeah you found a camaro with a ford engine in it.....but continue to look and see how hard it is to find more...they are very very very RARE...but google a chevy powered mustang or type that in on youtube and BEHOLD...vaaast amounts

and if i found that 6 second camaro in less than 30 secs i'm sure i could find a few more....but i will agree that the fastest camaro in the world is probally not faster than the fastest mustang..i would say thats due to the FOX body being the size of what it is..if my 99 camaro SS with full options weighs only 3,400lbs ( so says the scale at the track)...then i know a FOX body weighs around 3,000..especially the LX..am i right on that?...seriously i'm asking a question here old timer..teach me...but i'm guessing at that size and weight..it's al lil easier to make faster cars out of them once they are striped down and all
If you think any 6 second car is ANYTHING close to something that came off the factory line, you're nuts. Fox-body weighing less than an F-body has absolutely nothing to do with it. And the fastest Mustangs don't even look like fox-bodies anyway. And please, for the love of God... learn to multi-quote.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
So quit saying you have a 10 second car dipshit

And that is pathetic you need a 346+cid motor, a supercharger, AND meth injection to run 10.9
Stop hatin' man. You'll make it into the 10's one day.

One day.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Banned

Looks sick man!! Lovin the fresh black paint. You've got good taste in suspension mods too; I've got BMR everything as well except the HAL QA1's and Bilsteins front. When are you thinking of stepping up to the D1 with forged internals?
well i'm working on getting a 9 inch or 12 bolt right now...since that is the Achilles heel of my whole car and the main factor as to why i'm not well into the 10's..but should be now..just got to get it to the track again to see...but i should be buying a texas speed forged 347 around income tax time..then gona slap some other than stock heads on it and get a custom cam..oh and honestly i'm interested in seeing how far i can push the power of my car with ONLY the P1 ..lol ..as silly as that may sound..i have made many mid 11 second passes on my 10 bolt for over a year now with not so much as a chatter coming from it..i figure if i was able to push a 10 bolt that far then i wanna see how far i can push the P1 i wont be looking for anything over 15 PSi tho..my goal is 700-800 RWHP...riddle me this...what heads would you recomend for that setup?
Old 07-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
If you think any 6 second car is ANYTHING close to something that came off the factory line, you're nuts. Fox-body weighing less than an F-body has absolutely nothing to do with it. And the fastest Mustangs don't even look like fox-bodies anyway. And please, for the love of God... learn to multi-quote.
trust me man i am well aware that the engines don't share a whole lot of similarities to the stock LS1 lol...but what i was mainly meaning was the blocks are similar..pretty much exact other than the iron or alluminum being used...and forgive me for the not knowing how to multi-quote...i'm still newish to the site and your vast knowledge of Forums far exceeds mine..but i would still call the fact the fox bodies are light has alot to do with alot..such as there being alot of fast fox bodies...waaay more than pretty much any other type of stang...weight makes a huge difference when running 8's 7's and 6's...comon man..i know you know that..i mean for Crist sakes!..you know how to multi-quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

LuLz, I have a 8 second car trapped inside it's 10 second body
Old 07-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Launching!

well i'm working on getting a 9 inch or 12 bolt right now...since that is the Achilles heel of my whole car and the main factor as to why i'm not well into the 10's..but should be now..just got to get it to the track again to see...but i should be buying a texas speed forged 347 around income tax time..then gona slap some other than stock heads on it and get a custom cam..oh and honestly i'm interested in seeing how far i can push the power of my car with ONLY the P1 ..lol ..as silly as that may sound..i have made many mid 11 second passes on my 10 bolt for over a year now with not so much as a chatter coming from it..i figure if i was able to push a 10 bolt that far then i wanna see how far i can push the P1 i wont be looking for anything over 15 PSi tho..my goal is 700-800 RWHP...riddle me this...what heads would you recomend for that setup?
I recommend you go with some unmilled 317's w/ a good p/p job. Unfortunately you won't hit your goal of 700whp with a P1, so start saving for a D1 AFTER the 9" is in. Oh and dump those mids for some LT's, preferably 1-7/8"s.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Banned

I recommend you go with some unmilled 317's w/ a good p/p job. Unfortunately you won't hit your goal of 700whp with a P1, so start saving for a D1 AFTER the 9" is in. Oh and dump those mids for some LT's, preferably 1-7/8"s.
thanks man that sounds like some good info...and yeah i have someone wanting to buy my midtubes and Y pipe now..just got to get the 9 inch in 1st..that 10 bolt with 3.23 gears is really holding me back as i'm sure you know..and some 317's with a p&p job have seemed to be a tried and true head..i hear of alot of boosted LS1's running those..do you know of any place to buy those already worked over like that?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:18 PM
***Repost Police***

trust me man i am well aware that the engines don't share a whole lot of similarities to the stock LS1 lol...but what i was mainly meaning was the blocks are similar..pretty much exact other than the iron or alluminum being used...and forgive me for the not knowing how to multi-quote...i'm still newish to the site and your vast knowledge of Forums far exceeds mine..but i would still call the fact the fox bodies are light has alot to do with alot..such as there being alot of fast fox bodies...waaay more than pretty much any other type of stang...weight makes a huge difference when running 8's 7's and 6's...comon man..i know you know that..i mean for Crist sakes!..you know how to multi-quote
I wasn't talking about the engines, I was talking about the chassis/body. Nothing running in the 6s has much (if any) of the original chassis/body left at all, so it doesn't matter if a foxbody is a few hundred pounds less than an F-body.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I wasn't talking about the engines, I was talking about the chassis/body. Nothing running in the 6s has much (if any) of the original chassis/body left at all, so it doesn't matter if a foxbody is a few hundred pounds less than an F-body.
oh...i see..well in that case..yes i agree,,,but i was'nt meaning JUST 6 second cars...7 and 8 second cars still share alot of that stuff that is the same style as from the factory...did you know there is a 7 second f body with a stock style suspension..it was in GHTP mag a few months back..it was the record holder for fastest stock style suspension F body
Old 07-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Launching!

thanks man that sounds like some good info...and yeah i have someone wanting to buy my midtubes and Y pipe now..just got to get the 9 inch in 1st..that 10 bolt with 3.23 gears is really holding me back as i'm sure you know..and some 317's with a p&p job have seemed to be a tried and true head..i hear of alot of boosted LS1's running those..do you know of any place to buy those already worked over like that?
Not off the top of my head. Check around the site or with one of the vendors, they'll point you in the right direction.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

yeah so it's a LQ4 block...it's still the exact same design wich even you seem to agree with...still an LS1..all the same parts bolt up ..it's a twin with a an iron block pretty much....
Yeah, pretty much the same, except the different parts... The point is, the iron block LQ series is stronger, which probably well explains why zero LS1 cars are running as well. The other part of the point is, we've had plenty of trashing of the 351W and 4.6L DOHC... Each of them has proven stronger on the track than the LS1, by a long, long way.

and lets be honest here..yeah you found a camaro with a ford engine in it.....but continue to look and see how hard it is to find more...they are very very very RARE...but google a chevy powered mustang or type that in on youtube and BEHOLD...vaaast amounts
Who said Ford powered Camaros were common? The reality is, there are more SBC engines to choose from and nearly anyone can put those together. I found more with a few clicks, but I won't post them all here, low number or otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd7YFlS9AgI

You can barf all you want about that beatiful 68, but the car looks great and runs well too. I didn't go too deeply into the thing, but it seems that's a 302 (R-block) running 9's. I know there's more available because I remember seeing 8.9's from an SN95 back in '01.

For all the GM powered Mustangs you seem to think are out there, just look how many more Mustangs are powered by Ford engines. This is NOT a close contest and nowhere near the 50% rate I've seen mentioned. It's not even close to 30%, or 10% for that matter. Perhaps 1 of every 100,000 is closer to accurate. There are probably more 460 powered Fox bodies than GM powered and the 460 isn't cheap to build.

and if i found that 6 second camaro in less than 30 secs i'm sure i could find a few more....
There are apparently 3 in America, the quickest being the 1 you showed. The others evidently use an aftermarket block. None use an actual LS1. Mind you, if anyone in that league thought the LS1 would survive, you can bet they'd never opt for the added hundred pounds up front.

but i will agree that the fastest camaro in the world is probally not faster than the fastest mustang..i would say thats due to the FOX body being the size of what it is..if my 99 camaro SS with full options weighs only 3,400lbs ( so says the scale at the track)...then i know a FOX body weighs around 3,000..especially the LX..am i right on that?...seriously i'm asking a question here old timer..teach me...but i'm guessing at that size and weight..it's al lil easier to make faster cars out of them once they are striped down and all
My 1991 LX was never lighter than 3140 lb at the track. They weren't terribly heavy, but they weren't made of swiss either. People told me for years, there's no way my car was that heavy. Same people used the scales I used and that was that. If mine was off, so were theirs. It came with an automatic, power windows, etc. and was by no means a stripper car.

The quickest Mustangs are in the low 6's and, depending on their setup, the weight requirements for the "Pro Outlaw" class(NMRA) begins around 2400, for N/A entries. Twin turbo cars must weight 2,850 for small block and 3,150 for big block. They also run a 10.5" tire regardless setup. Quickest under those rules(along with all the other rules) is 6.638 @ 217.45mph. I don't know what his combo is, but considering it's Mike Murillo, probably twin turbo and at least a single. Class also limits cubes to 550 with forced induction and 830 N/A(@ 2600 lb).

Keep in mind also, that's the 10.5" tire record, not the overall quickest.

Mike's gone faster than that record, and seems to weigh in around 3165... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxpzz...eature=related

The real point I'm making is simply that there's so much negative talk about the Mustang, you'd think it was the prize everyone else is gunning for. Perhaps it is, but I don't approach my setup by considering it against some other brand or engine, etc. Plus, not just the current version is capable of hauling down the track. The newest aren't the quickest and may never be, but there are S197's well into the 7's and with that, I see no point in trashing them as if they're somehow less capable than the cars they outrun according to the record books.

No, even though you say it is, this isn't about stock vs stock when it comes to drag racing and for some, road racing. For that matter, you're taking the stock approach at some points and race built at others. I think it's just that you're trying whatever you can to "win the debate" that's been settled for ages in 1 solid direction. You can sit there all day and say, "Well, the Camaro used to be quicker (during whatever years) and for that reason, I think it's stupid to have a Mustang for drag racing." The reality is, racers modify things and for the last 2 decades or more, the Mustang has ruled the roost. Yes, 4th gen and all, Mustangs have been kickin' *** at the track BECAUSE peope modify things. I'm not trying to argue with you. Rather, I'm merely trying to give you reason to see the entire picture instead of one narrow slice of it.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:16 AM
Restricted User

oh...i see..well in that case..yes i agree,,,but i was'nt meaning JUST 6 second cars...7 and 8 second cars still share alot of that stuff that is the same style as from the factory...did you know there is a 7 second f body with a stock style suspension..it was in GHTP mag a few months back..it was the record holder for fastest stock style suspension F body
Factory stock or stock style suspension? As soon as you put an air freshener in an ls car it's definately not stock!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Speak for your own turd. My '02 happens to be in mint condition, 66k mile 2nd owner...runs like new. It may be old but surely not 'worn out'.

Now if you mean "outdated" then I agree with you.
ill give you that. outdated for sure.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

if my 99 camaro SS with full options weighs only 3,400lbs ( so says the scale at the track)...then i know a FOX body weighs around 3,000..especially the LX..am i right on that?...seriously i'm asking a question here old timer..teach me...but i'm guessing at that size and weight..it's al lil easier to make faster cars out of them once they are striped down and all

the LX weighed 3100 totally stock.

my 1980 weighed 2700. 1600 over the front axle and 1100 over the rear. everything removed from the car except a seat and dash.

my 1983 notch 5.0 weighed 2600 with no weight reduction. it was a converted 4 cyl notch. no AC or extras from the factory.

now that the Gt is faster than the SS camaro, the camaro is outselling the GT. something to be said there. looks sells cars, not performance.

my 96GT has stock style suspension, if you consider stock style mounting points as stock... and by that i mean they use BOLTS to mount the after market control arms/coil-overs to the aftermarket frame points. bolts make them stockish.

Last edited by assasinator; 07-12-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Yeah, pretty much the same, except the different parts... The point is, the iron block LQ series is stronger, which probably well explains why zero LS1 cars are running as well. The other part of the point is, we've had plenty of trashing of the 351W and 4.6L DOHC... Each of them has proven stronger on the track than the LS1, by a long, long way.

Who said Ford powered Camaros were common? The reality is, there are more SBC engines to choose from and nearly anyone can put those together. I found more with a few clicks, but I won't post them all here, low number or otherwise.

You can barf all you want about that beatiful 68, but the car looks great and runs well too. I didn't go too deeply into the thing, but it seems that's a 302 (R-block) running 9's. I know there's more available because I remember seeing 8.9's from an SN95 back in '01.

For all the GM powered Mustangs you seem to think are out there, just look how many more Mustangs are powered by Ford engines. This is NOT a close contest and nowhere near the 50% rate I've seen mentioned. It's not even close to 30%, or 10% for that matter. Perhaps 1 of every 100,000 is closer to accurate. There are probably more 460 powered Fox bodies than GM powered and the 460 isn't cheap to build.

There are apparently 3 in America, the quickest being the 1 you showed. The others evidently use an aftermarket block. None use an actual LS1. Mind you, if anyone in that league thought the LS1 would survive, you can bet they'd never opt for the added hundred pounds up front.

My 1991 LX was never lighter than 3140 lb at the track. They weren't terribly heavy, but they weren't made of swiss either. People told me for years, there's no way my car was that heavy. Same people used the scales I used and that was that. If mine was off, so were theirs. It came with an automatic, power windows, etc. and was by no means a stripper car.

The quickest Mustangs are in the low 6's and, depending on their setup, the weight requirements for the "Pro Outlaw" class(NMRA) begins around 2400, for N/A entries. Twin turbo cars must weight 2,850 for small block and 3,150 for big block. They also run a 10.5" tire regardless setup. Quickest under those rules(along with all the other rules) is 6.638 @ 217.45mph. I don't know what his combo is, but considering it's Mike Murillo, probably twin turbo and at least a single. Class also limits cubes to 550 with forced induction and 830 N/A(@ 2600 lb).

Mike's gone faster than that record, and seems to weigh in around 3165... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxpzz...eature=related

The real point I'm making is simply that there's so much negative talk about the Mustang, you'd think it was the prize everyone else is gunning for. Perhaps it is, but I don't approach my setup by considering it against some other brand or engine, etc. Plus, not just the current version is capable of hauling down the track. The newest aren't the quickest and may never be, but there are S197's well into the 7's and with that, I see no point in trashing them as if they're somehow less capable than the cars they outrun according to the record books.

No, even though you say it is, this isn't about stock vs stock when it comes to drag racing and for some, road racing. For that matter, you're taking the stock approach at some points and race built at others. I think it's just that you're trying whatever you can to "win the debate" that's been settled for ages in 1 solid direction. You can sit there all day and say, "Well, the Camaro used to be quicker (during whatever years) and for that reason, I think it's stupid to have a Mustang for drag racing." The reality is, racers modify things and for the last 2 decades or more, the Mustang has ruled the roost. Yes, 4th gen and all, Mustangs have been kickin' *** at the track BECAUSE peope modify things. I'm not trying to argue with you. Rather, I'm merely trying to give you reason to see the entire picture instead of one narrow slice of it.
Who gives a ****? Lol. Even the guy you're arguing with doesn't care as much as you obviously seem to. You actually think you give us the "entire picture"? Seems like rather you paint YOUR version of the picture and try to pass it off as genuine, as far as I can tell . Since we're talking "opinions" here (and that's what you spout the most of imo ) I for one would take that d1 camaro over ANY foxbody **** You are right, there are a lot of sbcs out there, but there should be ample ford engines out there too wouldn't you think? Since there are sooooo many Mustangs from all the high sales, you would think that we would see more fbodys (throughout the years and now) sporting FORD POWER!!! But... that is not the case is it? Why don't you just go pick up an lsx powered vehicle and finally start fitting in here, rather than trying so hard to go against the grain on "the other guy's" site? Just curious Stupid head

Originally Posted by assasinator
the LX weighed 3100 totally stock.

my 1980 weighed 2700. 1600 over the front axle and 1100 over the rear. everything removed from the car except a seat and dash.

my 1983 notch 5.0 weighed 2600 with no weight reduction. it was a converted 4 cyl notch. no AC or extras from the factory.

now that the Gt is faster than the SS camaro, the camaro is outselling the GT. something to be said there. looks sells cars, not performance.

my 96GT has stock style suspension, if you consider stock style mounting points as stock... and by that i mean they use BOLTS to mount the after market control arms/coil-overs to the aftermarket frame points. bolts make them stockish.
I agree with you to an extent. But imo it's only true when talking about the newer models because let's face it, the Mustangs were ugly as **** compared to T/As and were still outselling them. I would think price point is a better indication of sales, moreso than looks/performance. Most buyers in the market are not enthusiasts and would buy a slower/uglier car if it is cheaper. Imo.

Last edited by oddwraith; 07-12-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Who gives a ****? Lol. Even the guy you're arguing with doesn't care as much as you obviously seem to. You actually think you give us the "entire picture"? Seems like rather you paint YOUR version of the picture and try to pass it off as genuine, as far as I can tell . Since we're talking "opinions" here (and that's what you spout the most of imo ) I for one would take that d1 camaro over ANY foxbody **** You are right, there are a lot of sbcs out there, but there should be ample ford engines out there too wouldn't you think? Since there are sooooo many Mustangs from all the high sales, you would think that we would see more fbodys (throughout the years and now) sporting FORD POWER!!! But... that is not the case is it? Why don't you just go pick up an lsx powered vehicle and finally start fitting in here, rather than trying so hard to go against the grain on "the other guy's" site? Just curious Stupid head
So true.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by It'llrun

for some reason i'm starting to like you...i will admit i am narrow minded when it comes to Fords and Chevy's..since i have owned both and raced both..i feel maybe somewhat more worthy to have an opinion about them than alot of other ppl who have only owned one brand and raced one brand...but pretty much everything you say has alot of facts behind it...and i wont argue with facts

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs 5.0