Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Me vs Turbo Civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 06:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by 2SSARME
at 10psi hondas would smoke you bro.
I know that why I am trading for a 2006 civic si VTEC baby...
Old 07-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
I know that why I am trading for a 2006 civic si VTEC baby...
If I send you the money can you buy a matching car for me so we can be VTEC butt buddies?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by 2SSARME
If I send you the money can you buy a matching car for me so we can be VTEC butt buddies?
Hell yeah..vtec rules biatch.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This all reminds me of when I was looking for a used LS1 on craigslist. Saw one for sale and called on it. Asked the kid about it and he starts talking about how it comes with a header, and other parts that only a 4 banger would have. I go, "so is this a V8?" He laughs and says "Oh, your looking for the muscle car motor...I get a lot of guys that think this is it. This is a honda motor."

I said "Oh, well I wanted the real motor. Thanks anyways" and hung up. Never heard of a honda engine being referred to as an "LS1".

And Adamantium, I'm thinking you are now LS1tech's official honda nutswinger. Hooray!

Old 07-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Teching In

I don't care how fast those Hondas are, I wouldn't be able to listen to that exhaust for more than a few minutes at a time.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by adamantium
Read that wrong. AMS's evo is not twin turbo by the way. Also comparing dyno numbers of an AWD car to a rwd is idiotic. 2ssderp has done it again.

We are not talking powerband here, like i said go back and read please.

But since i apparently need to dumb it down for you here.

Okay a turbo motor makes power when the turbo spools correct? Which motor on lets say for example on a 70mm journal bearing turbo will spool the turbo faster, an LS1 (5.7l) or a b16 (1.6l)? Ding ding ding the LS1, the power will come in faster (broader powerband) But lets put the correct size turbo that is dual ball bearing on a b16 that will spool VERY early, Now what do you have? A broad powerband aswell? See what im getting at? A turbo motor rely's solely on the turbo, like i previously stated. For example look at srt4s on stock turbo srt4s they will make 100+wtrq more than they will HP. They are only 2.4l Why? because they have a tiny turbo that spools fast.

On a turbo motor its all about the turbo and turbo setup, not the displacement.

Edit: This isn't the 90s we have technology to help with spool rate.
I didn't feel like reading through 2 previous pages full of "brah", but I see what you meant (yes, I'm admitting I'm wrong )

Last edited by why87; 07-13-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Teching In

I must say...

I have a 06 C6 Z06 with an intake and tune, and have been searching for a forum that deals with mostly LS engines and internals, looking to find out more information in lamens terms about how I should go about improving the performance of my car. Found this forum, and the LS sections is..well.. a bit lackluster.

THEN, I find this subforum, and THIS thread... holy crap! There's a serious amount of retardation going, especially from the girls saying that a properly built honda isn't fast... lol.

I use my car for what it is "often", and have yet to see a properly built honda. I'm all for seeing what's what, and especially when a heavy *** camaro that weighs 1500 lbs more than a civic making just 60 whp more thinks he's faster. LOL
Old 07-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

^ riveting tale chap.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Thanks lol. It's pretty amusing from the sidelines (this whole thread)!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm pretty amused too. I guess I shouldn't race Hondas cause they all trap 150 with 167whp.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by icrashevos
I must say...

I have a 06 C6 Z06 with an intake and tune, and have been searching for a forum that deals with mostly LS engines and internals, looking to find out more information in lamens terms about how I should go about improving the performance of my car. Found this forum, and the LS sections is..well.. a bit lackluster.

THEN, I find this subforum, and THIS thread... holy crap! There's a serious amount of retardation going, especially from the girls saying that a properly built honda isn't fast... lol.

I use my car for what it is "often", and have yet to see a properly built honda. I'm all for seeing what's what, and especially when a heavy *** camaro that weighs 1500 lbs more than a civic making just 60 whp more thinks he's faster. LOL
Old 07-12-2012, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

So your trying to tell me that a properly built LSX 454 running 10 psi wont make more than i properly built B16 on 10 psi?
Old 07-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cwarta
So your trying to tell me that a properly built LSX 454 running 10 psi wont make more than i properly built B16 on 10 psi?
Are you dumb? Even if they did make the same HP, the torque and powerband from the LSx would crush the B16. HOWEVER, what a lot of you guys (that just hump the V8s) seem to be missing is that weight is a SERIOUS competitor. A properly build C6 Z06 vs a properly built B16 from a roll, say 60-150? Hard to come by if both can get traction.

Weight is a serious factor, and can make up for a lot. Perfect example...

A Camaro making 100whp more than a turbo S2K.

Keep in mind dyno numbers are always relative, and they most likely have not been dyno'd on the same car at the same day, in the same timeframe. There are numerous videos of lightweight cars done RIGHT that can hang with the faster, higher hp, heavier cars out there. Bench racing is fun!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by adamantium
Read that wrong. AMS's evo is not twin turbo by the way. Also comparing dyno numbers of an AWD car to a rwd is idiotic. 2ssderp has done it again.

We are not talking powerband here, like i said go back and read please.

But since i apparently need to dumb it down for you here.

Okay a turbo motor makes power when the turbo spools correct? Which motor on lets say for example on a 70mm journal bearing turbo will spool the turbo faster, an LS1 (5.7l) or a b16 (1.6l)? Ding ding ding the LS1, the power will come in faster (broader powerband) But lets put the correct size turbo that is dual ball bearing on a b16 that will spool VERY early, Now what do you have? A broad powerband aswell? See what im getting at? A turbo motor rely's solely on the turbo, like i previously stated. For example look at srt4s on stock turbo srt4s they will make 100+wtrq more than they will HP. They are only 2.4l Why? because they have a tiny turbo that spools fast.

On a turbo motor its all about the turbo and turbo setup, not the displacement.

Edit: This isn't the 90s we have technology to help with spool rate.
Displacement doesnt matter? The engine is what makes the power here, remember that. In an ideal environment, an engine that makes more power N/A will make more power on boost. And increasing psi will not always make more power. If the engines built to handle it, youll come to a point where the compressor or the hotside is out of the efficiency range. It will eventually just start blowing hot air or choking the exhaust.

And a bigger turbo wont always make more power at the same psi either. Like I said, remember that the engine is whats making the power. 10psi is still 10psi in a given displacement(say 5.7L) if the turbo is in its efficiency range(youll have to check out the compressor/turbine maps to determine). It doesnt matter if its coming from twin 67s or a single 94. Its still the same volume of air with more MASS. Turbos DO NOT increase flow, or CFM. Hence why compressor maps are read in "lbs/min". The ONLY time a bigger turbo will make more power at the same boost is if the current turbo is out of its efficiency range on the cold/hotside, ie its making too much backpressure or heating up the air too much on the cold side.

What you are basically saying is that turbos are a replacement for displacement, remember that saying? Turbos are not a replacement, and displacement definitely still matters. The accepted rule in ideal conditions is that 7.35psi = 50% gain in power, 14.7psi = 100% gain in power, and so on. So if you start out with a LS3 making 425hp, and a B18 at 200hp, with the proper turbo setup on each, the LS3 will always make more power at the same psi. Turbos DO NOT increase volumetric flow, only mass flow. So if you start with an engine that has a higher volumetric flow(given a proper heads/cam setup), do you think that it wont make more power than a smaller engine that flows less, if both are at the same boost? Because thats the way I took what youre saying.

And please, can we hold off on the insults/name calling? I realize thats too much to ask for in SR&K, but if you want to get technical keep it professional.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Do you guys run back to your dollar genaral parking lots and grab all your friends "Doodz, people b dizrespectin on us Honda guys" and run back to your parents bsement to take the time and sign up on LS1 tech to jump into a conversation about engines smaller than a pop? Captain dipshit up above said Displacement dosnt matter. I asked a simple question and you took it like i was serious. THERE IS A REASON TOP FUEL DRAGSTERS ARE NOT 4cyls. If displacement didnt matter, they would run mountain dew bottles to save weight.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cwarta
Also, perfect point. Unsure of the HP on the Integra, but it doesn't sound like he has any traction problems. If the Z06 was driven right (in 2nd at 60), that integra is pretty damn fast to pull like that on a C6Z at that speed. 2-3-4 in a Z06 is ridiculous.

Another video, same cars, 40 roll. Traction problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6SdG3mMCIYk

Edit #3: Aannddd.. why weight is probably more important than horsepower. Had a little fun with a friends LS3 Cam + boltons FD RX7 weighing 2750 or so with driver vs my C6Z at 3300 w/ me. He made 420 on a dynapack, I made 448 on a low reading mustang dyno (500 on a dynojet with correction for an intake/tune C6Z). Other than the lurch I had from the start, we were dead even. Even with me making a benchmark guess of 357 whp on the mustang dyno (15-20% difference in dynos), he hung with me simply because he weighed nearly 600 pounds less.

I should be playing with a 460 whp RX7 sometime soon (if I can get in contact with him). If he's been tuned on a dynapack, I think he'll pull me, until I install the LS7R Texas Speed cam later this month. We'll see!

Last edited by icrashevos; 07-12-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Forgot the video...
Old 07-12-2012, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

I must say...

The LS sections are lackluster on here? You have 0 posts man. Meaning youve only posted in SR&K most likely. If you want help on something, you atleast gotta speak up. I think youre dismissing it a bit too early. On yellowbullet, one of the biggest drag racing forums out there I might say, I have seen MANY people say "go to LS1tech" in reply to people looking for help on a LSx. LS1tech is touted as one of the best places for LSx tech help on the net from what Ive seen. Maybe try asking some questions man, its a lot more formal in the tech sections than in here.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:40 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by why87
I didn't feel like reading through 2 previous pages full of "brah", but I see what you meant (yes, I'm admitting I'm wrong )
Must suck to have a honda guy teach you how things work huh?

Originally Posted by jbhotrod
Displacement doesnt matter? The engine is what makes the power here, remember that. In an ideal environment, an engine that makes more power N/A will make more power on boost. And increasing psi will not always make more power. If the engines built to handle it, youll come to a point where the compressor or the hotside is out of the efficiency range. It will eventually just start blowing hot air or choking the exhaust.
Which is why you have to pair the setup with the right turbo, but if what you are saying is right then why would the turbo be maxed out and the setup stop making power if what (from what you claim) "the engine is what makes the power here". Sorry on a turbo setup the turbo dictates EVERYTHING.

And a bigger turbo wont always make more power at the same psi either. Like I said, remember that the engine is whats making the power. 10psi is still 10psi in a given displacement(say 5.7L) if the turbo is in its efficiency range(youll have to check out the compressor/turbine maps to determine). It doesnt matter if its coming from twin 67s or a single 94. Its still the same volume of air with more MASS. Turbos DO NOT increase flow, or CFM. Hence why compressor maps are read in "lbs/min". The ONLY time a bigger turbo will make more power at the same boost is if the current turbo is out of its efficiency range on the cold/hotside, ie its making too much backpressure or heating up the air too much on the cold side.
A bigger turbo will 90% of the time make more power at a lower psi because if you have read turbo maps they usually move more air. SO your going to sit here and tell me (for example) an HX35 will flow more air than an hx40? A bigger turbo will more than half the time have a better flow rate than a smaller turbo, More room for air to go in.
What you are basically saying is that turbos are a replacement for displacement, remember that saying? Turbos are not a replacement, and displacement definitely still matters. The accepted rule in ideal conditions is that 7.35psi = 50% gain in power, 14.7psi = 100% gain in power, and so on. So if you start out with a LS3 making 425hp, and a B18 at 200hp, with the proper turbo setup on each, the LS3 will always make more power at the same psi. Turbos DO NOT increase volumetric flow, only mass flow. So if you start with an engine that has a higher volumetric flow(given a proper heads/cam setup), do you think that it wont make more power than a smaller engine that flows less, if both are at the same boost? Because thats the way I took what youre saying.

And please, can we hold off on the insults/name calling? I realize thats too much to ask for in SR&K, but if you want to get technical keep it professional.
No go back and read my claim, what i am saying is that a turbo setup is all based on the turbo. Displacement DOES NOT AFFECT ANYTHING all it is there for is to hold the power and all it really effects is spool rate. If not explain to me what ELSE can having greater displacement contribute to a turbo setup? You just need a bottom end to that can hold x amount of power and a turbo that will breath till x amount of power. If that was the case then rotaries and other small engines WOULD NOT make power, displacement is an aid for spool time. That is all. What are you trying or attempting to prove?

For example my friends k20 on pump made 540 on 16psi that is 20.62500HP per PSI of boost OVER its stock amount of power. That is an efficient motor but how? its only a 2.0? Apparently displacement is everything.

Last edited by adamantium; 07-13-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I must say...

u mad urpiee of **** ******* c6a is slwoing than my amaro fggots yeah im fucasted than you.

ps

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
hondas r ******* hgay

small penissssssasassss

Last edited by 2SSARME; 07-13-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Honda's are poop

Quick Reply: Me vs Turbo Civic