Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

02 ws6 vs 2013 boss

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evangto87
Ported heads, bigger cams, higher reving intake, forged bottom end. Its a c5 z06 in comparison to a c5. Its rated at 444hp but makes around 390whp stock. The boss takes a driver to make it fast. If you dont drive it properly, it wont impress you.
In terms of upgrades but not in terms of actual performance. The C5Z was night and day compared to the base C5...as in not even close.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^Ya have to agree with this. Hey Red, you think this would be the case 9/10 times when racing a Boss vs. lid/catback ls1 car? Your thoughts...
Old 08-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by big hammer
okay to start the story off, a guy that works for me recently bought a yellow 2013 boss. very nice car. i've been bugging him for a while to race but he says he can't shift it worth ****.

anyway a friend of mine shows up to buy a trans from me. so we go out on the road and tune my 75 t\a for a while. the guy with the boss seen us so he stopped by. he figured it was time to run our cars. so i fired up the 02.

we try racing from a dig a couple times. both times he just spun a bit then blew 2nd. 1-2 shift is just horrible on that car.

so then we try from a 10 mph roll to eliminate the launch. he blew 2nd again. tried again--- he hit 2nd, and was about a length behind. but then he blew 3rd. okay i thought, this is no good. we weren't learing anything here.

my buddy was riding in the boss and recorded all the shenannigans.

the guy that owns the boss wanted me to drive his car-- i've driven it several times before and went through the gears a lot. 1-2 shift is a little tricky but after that it's alright. i was a little hesitant as nobody there has even driven my car before--- and the guy that owns the boss can't drive for ****. regardess, i threw the keys to my car to my other friend and said "run it through the gears a couple times then we'll line up". I did the same with the boss.

at this point the only guy with a camera was now driving my car so no vid from this point on

we lined up for a dig race. i called out "ready-set-GO!"

he got me by around a length out of the hole. then i made up about a fender with the boss at the top of 1st--- went to nail 2nd at 7250 rpm and BAM! nailed it! RFO! and we were away-- 2nd-3rd-4th--- top of 4th the boss made up about another fender then we let off. ws6 won by approx 3\4 of a car. right on. but that wasn't enough yet.

we line up again. i called it out again-- GO! this time i launched a little better as he only got my by aboot a 3rd of a car. i made up a touch at the top of 1st-- nailed 2nd-3rd-4th-- top of 4th the boss evened it up-- i shifted to 5th around 7300 rpm. the ws6 was at the top of fourth and pulled a foot or so away. i ran in 5th a bit then we shut down. basically dead even or the ws6 by a **** hair. very very close! i'm guessing we shut down somewhere around 120 mph. the guy that owns the boss was riding with me just giggling.

the two cars were an awesome race! haven't had a close one like that in a long time. props to my buddy for just jumping in my car, and from never driving it before to driving like it like a champ!

the two cars--

the '13 boss-- bone stock, around 3500 miles on it and using the red key. boss had a passenger.

my car-- 02 ws6, around 22,000 miles on it. CAI, diablo handheld tuner, ORY, cat back, z06 clutch and 295\50 mickey T DR's on the back.

check out my vids i posted today
Old 08-15-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL! You had to quote all that to say that? Jk
Old 08-15-2012, 03:22 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by usnfenix
Wow arguments in a 5.0 related thread? I'm shocked. To answer an above question there is little difference between the production boss and the gt. Intake and some other things but yes the difference is crank 444hp while the 13' 5.0 like mine is 420hp crank. Now the real boss, the Laguna seca boss is a different animal. Comes with a race key that unlocks the full potential of the car. Although I doubt you'd see a real Laguna seca on a day to day basis. IMO this production "boss" is nothing special and not worth the extra pricetag. Kind of like the difference in 4th Gen camaros between ss and z28.
Forged internals and CNC machined heads with different cams is a bit more of a difference than the SS/Z28... and you can get the track key for the regular Boss as well.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by oddwraith
^^^Ya have to agree with this. Hey Red, you think this would be the case 9/10 times when racing a Boss vs. lid/catback ls1 car? Your thoughts...
In all honesty, No! A lid/catback LS1 should be a 107-109mph trap car in ideal conditions. I just don't see one hanging with a BOSS but of course anything can happen.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

...that's pretty much where I'm at with it too. Streets are the streets though I suppose...
Old 08-15-2012, 04:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Yes...preconceived notions, based on fact. Not some jack posting up vids of him driving a Boss to lose against his own car. Just my opinion, so don't worry about caring too much.

Again, it's pretty obvious what's what...but these are just my opinions, or "pre conceived notions", so I must be mistaken.
no no no. in the vid the owner of the boss was driving it and I was driving my car.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well you said switched drivers so I conceded. I guess he can't drive after all? I dunno the reason you won, but you apparently won.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:59 PM
10 Second Club

Well you said switched drivers so I conceded. I guess he can't drive after all? I dunno the reason you won, but you apparently won.
during the vid the owner of the boss was driving. he's a terrible driver. so then we switched because I wanted to see how the my car could really do against the boss. it went like this;

after the race in the vid (we tried several times)

then I drove the boss.

the camera man then drove my car. that's why he have no vids of when we were basically dead even.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by evangto87
108 mph car vs 117mph car. Wheres the hype?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76srI...hannel&list=UL

My buddies bone stock boss in 2000+ da. Since when does a lid/catback f body run those times?
This isn't your car, you have zero proof that its stock. It obviously has DR's and sounds like it has exhaust mods. Makes me wonder what else is actually done....also zero proof of the DA.

BTW I can post youtube videos too and claim there my best buddy... proves nothing...

carry-on
Old 08-15-2012, 05:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by loudblack97z71
This isn't your car, you have zero proof that its stock. It obviously has DR's and sounds like it has exhaust mods. Makes me wonder what else is actually done....also zero proof of the DA.

BTW I can post youtube videos too and claim there my best buddy... proves nothing...

carry-on
he's using somebodys DR's for sure-- look at the rear rims. so who knows what else.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by loudblack97z71

carry-on
Evan and i both know this guy very well, it's not a random youtube vid.

The car was a few weeks old when it was run.

ONLY mod was DRs and he had a much better launch later in the day, but missed a shift on that pass.

Car is showroom stock besides the tires he borrowed when he went to the track.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:41 PM
***Repost Police***

And a Boss with the side-pipes honking is pretty damn loud.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Beans
Evan and i both know this guy very well, it's not a random youtube vid.

The car was a few weeks old when it was run.

ONLY mod was DRs and he had a much better launch later in the day, but missed a shift on that pass.

Car is showroom stock besides the tires he borrowed when he went to the track.
I can't fathom a DR-only Boss trapping 117 in +2000 DA. Seems a bit fast. Besides at first it was said the car was "stock", how well do you really know this guy? lol
Old 08-15-2012, 08:35 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by redfire 03
i can't fathom a dr-only boss trapping 117 in +2000 da. Seems a bit fast. Besides at first it was said the car was "stock", how well do you really know this guy? Lol
115 =/= 117.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Either way the whole point seems moot imo. I just don't see the relevance of the vid, nor the claims. We're not stooping to lid/catback ls cars pulling on new Boss' s just to get wins here imo. We have enough to brag about without leg humping, and vids like this are a waste of time. That means ****, again imo.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
115 =/= 117.
2000ft DA though?

Either way the whole point seems moot imo. I just don't see the relevance of the vid, nor the claims. We're not stooping to lid/catback ls cars pulling on new Boss' s just to get wins here imo. We have enough to brag about without leg humping, and vids like this are a waste of time. That means ****, again imo.
True.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by usnfenix
Wow arguments in a 5.0 related thread? I'm shocked. To answer an above question there is little difference between the production boss and the gt. Intake and some other things but yes the difference is crank 444hp while the 13' 5.0 like mine is 420hp crank. Now the real boss, the Laguna seca boss is a different animal. Comes with a race key that unlocks the full potential of the car. Although I doubt you'd see a real Laguna seca on a day to day basis. IMO this production "boss" is nothing special and not worth the extra pricetag. Kind of like the difference in 4th Gen camaros between ss and z28.
this is a 110% wrong statement... the boss and the gt are completely different. The boss and the LS version are almost identical. There is literally 0 straight line performance difference. The LS comes with comp tires, a 1mm bigger rear sway bar, softer rear springs. The rest is all cosmetic. These cars have the exact same motor. And i have/had the "race key". Its a joke. Its a ricers version of a tune. Car is in no way faster, just does stupid things.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

only on ls1tech.. ugh... I have personally raced that yellow boss i posted a video up of. I raced him with a catback/air intake... and i beat him fairly well. People stop trying to convince me that my friend isnt my friend... for the love of god.

Heres another vid of that boss racing a GT that went 12.2 at 116. And if you dont believe me.... check out the user name "evanjrobinson"....hmmmmm..

Quick Reply: 02 ws6 vs 2013 boss