Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Grocery getter VS Honda Civic! for all you import haters...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 12:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you know the honda b18 motor is the 3rd most modified motor. chevy 350 1st ,ford 302 2nd theres all motor hondas full interior running low 11's and full race cars running 9.90s all motor. there are 30 plus hondas racing the street class running 9's and low 10's. stock chassis hondas running in low 8's (thats not a typo)
john
Old 04-13-2004, 12:44 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nurv99
you know the honda b18 motor is the 3rd most modified motor. chevy 350 1st ,ford 302 2nd theres all motor hondas full interior running low 11's and full race cars running 9.90s all motor. there are 30 plus hondas racing the street class running 9's and low 10's. stock chassis hondas running in low 8's (thats not a typo)
john

That's nice.
Are you trying to educate us? What if we don't care?
I for one don't care. I'll continue with my "low tech" as you guys call it, V8, thanks. My car's not produced any more, people call it ugly, but in the end, it's what puts a huge smile on my face every day. A turbo 4 banger doesn't do it for me.

Heck, next thing we know, the NASCAR boys gonna be drivin' round in front wheel drive four bangers? That would be the day I get on a boat a row away from these shores.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MillaTK
Not everybody has the funds to have a 10 second LS1.

John Matrix...
Now wait a second, it was just stated that for $5k you could have a 10 sec. LS1... well there are plenty of people that have at least that much in performance upgrades and are no where near that!
Old 04-13-2004, 01:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

lets see, 150 shot, 4000 stall, tires, bolt ons cam. that should net you a high 10 if i am not mistaken.

or on a vette. Heads and cam, and tires = tens

bone stock z06 on tires = 11.5

do i need to put down others?
Old 04-13-2004, 05:53 AM
STF Veteran

Are these import rectum explorers still here? I thought we were rid of these labia drippings. Why don't you little *** juice mary's go play with each others fartpipe, and get the **** outta here.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mochanic
Now wait a second, it was just stated that for $5k you could have a 10 sec. LS1... well there are plenty of people that have at least that much in performance upgrades and are no where near that!
You or somebody else said that if LS1's can do 10's with $5k worth of mods, then why doesnt everybody have one... That was my response. Also, not everbody that spends their money on performance upgrades on their car does it to make their car go faster. A bunch of guys on this site were happy with the straight line performance, so they put their money into suspension mods, and the like. See...stock, LS1's aren't slow like a honda, so not everybody has to make them go faster...
Old 04-13-2004, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MillaTK
You or somebody else said that if LS1's can do 10's with $5k worth of mods, then why doesnt everybody have one... That was my response. Also, not everbody that spends their money on performance upgrades on their car does it to make their car go faster. A bunch of guys on this site were happy with the straight line performance, so they put their money into suspension mods, and the like. See...stock, LS1's aren't slow like a honda, so not everybody has to make them go faster...
Honda's come with very good suspension already, and a few minor tweaks and it will at handle a modded LS1 anyday! But yea a 15.5 is not all that fast for a 1.6L 4 banger, but like I said for only $5k I can drop off 4 seconds in the 1/4... Can an LS1 do that? Uhhhhh NO!
Old 04-13-2004, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Mochanic, i already told you three different things for an ls1/6 to get it into the 10's

How many bolt on only civics run 11.2's full interior?

Z06s can run 11.5 to 11.6 on a MT/ET street ONLY. not to mention remove the Baffling from the air intake system and get another .1 or .05 off your time.

Cam 150 to 200 wet shot, Converter and tire = 10's but people do not want to do things like that so it is never seen a lot. We have stock short block cars running mid nines now. that is a tire, rear end, Converter and Spray.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Honda's come with very good suspension already, and a few minor tweaks and it will at handle a modded LS1 anyday! But yea a 15.5 is not all that fast for a 1.6L 4 banger, but like I said for only $5k I can drop off 4 seconds in the 1/4... Can an LS1 do that? Uhhhhh NO!
Mo,
Can you let us all in on a few of your secrets:
What does the usual Civic weigh to run 11's with a "full interior"
What do you do with the engine? Turbo? Healthy Nitrous shot? Forged internals? Swap Motors?
What do these cars dyno at?
I'm getting curious mearly because my friend installed a Jackson Racing supercharger on his 95 Civic Si (California spec car) and didn't see the results he was after or promised. He spent countless hours on what turned into his senior project in Mechanical Engineering. It was "tuned" by some local shops, but it only managed a meager 14.9 in the quarter. I think he was running a 15.5 prior to the supercharger. I forget most of the specifics, but I can get ahold of him rather quickly through email.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:54 AM
STF Veteran

no argument, just replying to FLYNLO's previous few posts. Sorry for not quoting him!

but if what you say is true, then why doesnt everybody have a 10 sec. LS1?
There may be 2 of them around here... out of 100's of them!
Using that rational there are maybe 2 11 second Honda's out of many many 1000's of them.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:57 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by TA TED
Are these import rectum explorers still here? I thought we were rid of these labia drippings. Why don't you little *** juice mary's go play with each others fartpipe, and get the **** outta here.
Nice use of adjectives!
Old 04-13-2004, 12:03 PM
STF Veteran

Make a list of the mods and their prices. I am going to call BS on the $5000 11 second honda.

We have told you how to get a LS1 into the 10's. We went right past the 11's.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

well, as you get faster and faster, the power it takes to go faster in the 1/4 increases somewhat exponentially. but, you drop 5k into a civic, and someone else drops 5k into an LS1, with the intention of both being just straight line performance, the LS1 will end up being faster everytime... I don't see what your point is...
Old 04-13-2004, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PSU_Engineer
Mo,
Can you let us all in on a few of your secrets:
What does the usual Civic weigh to run 11's with a "full interior"
What do you do with the engine? Turbo? Healthy Nitrous shot? Forged internals? Swap Motors?
What do these cars dyno at?
I'm getting curious mearly because my friend installed a Jackson Racing supercharger on his 95 Civic Si (California spec car) and didn't see the results he was after or promised. He spent countless hours on what turned into his senior project in Mechanical Engineering. It was "tuned" by some local shops, but it only managed a meager 14.9 in the quarter. I think he was running a 15.5 prior to the supercharger. I forget most of the specifics, but I can get ahold of him rather quickly through email.

First of all JRS are junk! The 3 and 4 rib belts cannot handle higher boost levels... (13psi is about max) and they are non intercooled so the air temps are in the 250* range which of course doesnt make much power especially since you have to pull allot of timing out just to get it to live for any period of time.
Turbo's on the other hand do not require power to make power, have no belt issues with boost, and are almost always intercooled either with air to air or air to water which can have below freezing air temps. even at 30psi of boost!

If you ever see NOS on a turbo car, 99% of the time its only there to help a larger turbo spool faster, and is not used once the boost goal is reached. I personally do not use NOS on any of my work.
Usually the only thing I have to do to an engine is forged rods and pistons. ($300 rods and $450 pistons and rings) I run stock cams in most applications, and almost always an unported head.
If the car does not have a B series (DOHC VTEC) engine I usually do a motor swap... Integra's already have the B series motors as do the Civic SI, so this is usually not a step I have to do.

This setup on 20PSI is good for 450hp to the wheels on the 1.8L motor and at least 400hp on the 1.6L motors. This amount of HP is enough to run 11's all day long! A friend of mine just made 430 hp (ignition limited) and ran 11.3 passes all day long.

The 600HP range is basically the same thing with just a ported head, turbo cams, and higher boost. (around 30psi) Usually you would need to sleeve the block to obtain boost levels this high. This combo is good for mid 10's that run over 140mph 1/4's and pretty much spin the whole way down the track.

For almost all turbo applications I use the Precision SC61 (T3/T4 hybrid) turbo. For more of a race car I would go to a Precision PT67 straight T4 turbo.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This setup on 20PSI is good for 450hp
One of our sponsors had a near 100k mile engine put out 760rwhp at 17 psi. the engine was stock including intake.

whenever i read "anime tuner" and see a s2000 project that nets $600 on 7 hp gain, helps me realize that a honda enthusiast suffers from some type of masochist neurosis.

i mean even a mustang within 300 pounds of your weight is knockin on the door of a 7 sec run.

is there even a 9 second DOORSLAMMER civic out there? is it like that 8 second chevy th-400 having dot-tire supra that TRD had to fund? you realize how rediculous that is?

oh by the way 400hp is enough for a f-bod to run 11s, it's been done. even in the mid 3000 pound range.

why? TORQUE & AVG. HP. a 2000 pound car with a 4 cylynder and 300hp will get walked by a 2000 pound car with a 8 cylynder and 290hp.

it's also nice to be able to spool a t-80 with a stock engine better than almost anything out there save a viper.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:58 PM
Teching In

aries

so what day next weekend did you want to meet me and gsrev at hrp(perferabally sunday) the only way i wont be there is if i blow my motor in baton rouge. that is the 2nd of may so check your calender.

if this happens there will be a vid and the quaility will be better than the one that seemed to **** all of you guys off. what is really funny i wonder if any of the ls1's i have raced and beat are a member of this forum because i have beat 10 plus ls1's countless mustangs and lt1s 5 or 6 03 cobras a viper a gt2 porche, a r6 and a r1 from a 40 to 150 roll(i forgot you guys keep loses like that secret from each other)
i know there are fast *** ls1's and lt1's in this area i just have not had a chance to race one yet. but i dont mind getting beat because it is fun either way.

oh ARIES i could not find where you had previosly challenged me or gsrev

john
Old 04-13-2004, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this thread is AWESOME.i got throught he first 4 pages and decided it was just time to respond.
building a fast civic really isnt that hard.B18 block,forged internals,massaged head,big turbo,and a tin can ugly *** featherweight body is all it takes.everything else is just tuning,just like any other car.yeah 333hp/liter is damn impressive,but what do you expect from an EFI 4 valve motor spinning to ~10k RPM?throw enough fuel and boost down the intake and tune it well enough to where it doesnt explode at crazy high RPM's and DUH its gonna make some power.but you know what?its still an ugly,styleless,death trap of a car.and when it comes down to it,youre never going to get all that power to the ground without front halving the fuggin thing and placing the motor a foot in front of the front axle centerline,rendering the car a full out race car.
people always say "oh well it beats V8's blah blah blah".yeah could that have anything to do with the fact that the average civic thats running low 11's or quicker has atleast a 1000 pound advantage over the V8 equipped car.not trying to use that as an excuse,but its the fact.put that torqueless wonder of a motor in something that weighs >3000lbs and see what it does.yeah may trap good,but it aint gonna get off the line too well.
and c'mon,who is honestly proud to drive a civic?
Old 04-13-2004, 08:13 PM
Teching In

I think most of you all miss the point entirely.. We didn't build a fast *** fwd 4 cylinder to rule the streets. Again I will restate what I said earlier.. that would be stupid it's obvious that there is a major disadvantage. The car was built to compete in sanctioned racing circuits. NHRA SPORT COMPACT SERIES, Nopi Drag Racing Association, Import Drag Racing Circuit and several others. Now ask yourself this, how many of you have gotten publicity in a magazine, money from gm, actually taken home money from winning a race? I will take it a step further by asking could you be competitive in a heads-up class at any event whether it be NHRA, NMCA, FUN FORD, or any others. Truth is you probably not many simply because as stated earlier there are a bazillion super fast v8's. Well.. I wanted to have a competitive car that wouldn't break my bank, would be very different (I realize there aren't that many fast 4 cylinder cars), yet would allow me to have loads of fun on the track and on the street. It was never built to a v8 killer. Every event I attended last year paid for itself and then some. And ls1again.. I am proud to drive a civic, an integra, an altima, and my 2 chevy trucks!
Old 04-13-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, if thats what you were building it for then, well, that makes sense. I don't think anyone mentioned the reason for it being built earlier, just brought up that stuff, but if it did, it just got lost in the flaming and such...I give you props for what you have done...
Old 04-13-2004, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

BUT....................

with people like ronnie duke and almost every single ls1 capable of 11 sec passes with just some tires and a shot of gas, why would GM want to sponsor something so easy to attain. there is no purpose. the ls1 is still in baby stages.

LOOK AT THE 5.0. holy ****, it is the forerunner to show what the aftermarket will do if there is a good engine created. just like the imports. there are countless of street legal 190 mph trapping mustangs. give the ls1 some time, it is fairly new, newer then the B18 you are working on correct??