Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2000 Cammed SS vs 2012 5.0 (5.0's are beast)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 427 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Seeing as how there have only been 2 bolt-on LS1s trapping >120 that I know of on here, I'd say that is pushing the terms of reality.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...1-74-bump.html

I would personally be happy with a cam-only LS1 Fbody trapping 120mph. Like I said, 99% of people in here would be.

There are too many variables that come into play to call a 120mph trap out of a cam-only Fbody "mediocre at best".

Yeah, I'm curious to see what the pricing is on it.

I personally would have such a hard time justifying spending ~$50k on a Camaro
Actually there are 4 on that list. More on the corvette list and 1 that went 124.
Originally Posted by corysmach1
I know your a complete idiot. Thats all i need to know. Bolt on Fbody going 120? Your seriously amazing....im calling Texas Speed for you right now....
Thanks bud....tell them to pay me well.

Just do do the math for some of you guys. I only make about 60-70 hp more than a solid bolt-on ls1. So yea, a bolt-on ls1 would easily go over 120 in my car.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Actually there are 4 on that list. More on the corvette list and 1 that went 124.

Thanks bud....tell them to pay me well.

Just do do the math for some of you guys. I only make about 60-70 hp more than a solid bolt-on ls1. So yea, a bolt-on ls1 would easily go over 120 in my car.
I still call total B.S. on your claimed trap speeds until I see a track vid of your car doing it. It goes back to what I was saying to you yesterday, most guys making claims like the ones you throw around usually have a track vid to go along with those claims. I can see why you hang around here as opposed to the hardcore tech forums because they would probably laugh at majority of the things you say.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:14 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
I still call total B.S. on your claimed trap speeds until I see a track vid of your car doing it. It goes back to what I was saying to you yesterday, most guys making claims like the ones you throw around usually have a track vid to go along with those claims. I can see why you hang around here as opposed to the hardcore tech forums because they would probably laugh at majority of the things you say.

Hey man not everyone walks around with a camera crew in their pocket. Notch's girlfriend was recording that day but missed me and I broke another axle on the next pass. I've got plenty of slips I have posted and I hang around all over this site. I don't know of any more hard core ls sites out there, probably more hard core drag sites but I'm not a drag racer.

Guys have been calling bs since the ls6 has been in it.....nothing new there. It just keeps getting worse for them. Now that I'm not the only ls6 over 130....it's looking alot more real
Old 02-18-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Some good reading on some nice bolt on cars...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-29-119-a.html

Hio's nightmare:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...aps-130-a.html

I wish I went 120MPH cam only

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...gable-cam.html
Old 02-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Some good reading on some nice bolt on cars...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-29-119-a.html
Impressive, but you can sort of get an idea of what it takes to get there. This car literally has EVERY single "bolt-on" mod possible for a S/I car; 1-7/8 headers, Ported FAST 102, E85 Fuel, SD Tune, Big & Littles, 9" rear, etc etc. M6 car. OP said the run was at -650 Density Altitude, 45* F, and a 3,250# raceweight.

Very impressive but far from your typical bolt-on LS1.

I won't even touch that one, lol. Lots of speculation in that thread. I will say that car sounds a lot more realistic though considering it trapped 129mph with a 29xx# raceweight and a decent 60'.

LS6-swap with slightly more aggressive cam & supporting mods, and at 3420# raceweight only manages to trap 120. Must be a turd.

Last edited by Redfire 03; 02-18-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:03 PM
10 Second Club

Impressive, but you can sort of get an idea of what it takes to get there. This car literally has EVERY single "bolt-on" mod possible for a S/I car; 1-7/8 headers, Ported FAST 102, E85 Fuel, SD Tune, Big & Littles, 9" rear, etc etc. M6 car. OP said the run was at -650 Density Altitude, 45* F, and a 3,250# raceweight.

Very impressive but far from your typical bolt-on LS1.

I won't even touch that one, lol. Lots of speculation in that thread. I will say that car sounds a lot more realistic though considering it trapped 129mph with a 29xx# raceweight and a decent 60'.

LS6-swap with slightly more aggressive cam & supporting mods, and at 3420# raceweight only manages to trap 120. Must be a turd.
You see this is the difference between me and most of you.

On the ls1 m6 car. I see alot of t's that need crossed and i's the need dotted. He done a good job but not anything really great yet....on the right track though.

The c5 z06's only controversy was a few wanting to call bs. That car went 10.75.

The ls6 swap car should be faster. He woulda been better of with the stock cam and clearly left alot on the table.

With that said I have left some on the table too. But mostly in et.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you own? What does the OP own?

We were clearly talking about Fbodies. Case and point.

4 recorded on this website and the LS1 has been out for how many years now? I get that it is possible, but the way you are talking in rhetoric, you make it sound like anybody could do it.

If so, come out to Iowa and help me out when I pick up another toy
With that said I have left some on the table too. But mostly in et.
Curious to see how your ET, trap, and dyno #s would be with a 9"
Old 02-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Launching!

You see this is the difference between me and most of you.
You still haven't even put a decent rear end in your car. Where as me, the first thing I did to my F-body was put a real rear-end in it before I even put any power mods to it. As opposed to doing things backwards just so I can brag all year long about my "trap speeds". LOL That's the difference between you and I.

The ls6 swap car should be faster. He woulda been better of with the stock cam and clearly left alot on the table.
See, comments like this is what will get you ran out of the Tech forums. Tell that to all the other LS6 guys going faster with more agressive cams.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Boryke

So after 4 years of not really having my car on the road I finally got it up and running. There was a guy locally here with a bolt on 5.0 that wanted to line up and do some runs.
My car is a forged 347, FM14 cam and stock heads. 411RWHP with full suspension, Hoosier QTP's and a 175 shot (no nitrous in this video). Best time was a 11.4 @ 120 on stock suspension

The Mustang is a full exhaust (headers included) bolt on car with 20" rims and some decent street tires.

First video is us test launching and goofing off. The street was very cold so we both ended up with traction issues.

Second video was our best dig run. Me by 2.5 cars or so. I drove his 5.0 and to be honest... it'll be my next car. I believe I could easily get mid to high 11's with a tire @ 117-119 MPH. It pulls THAT hard with minimal mods. Plus the car feels insanely solid overall.

I test drove my friend's 5.0 (stock) and it felt great, fast and solid. I bet a boltons 5.0 has to be better. But we are driving 10+years fbodys with serious mods. Still, I havent felt like my fbody was a piece of ****, like when I drove my friends GTR, but this car is in another league, like a Vette I'd say. The market changed a lot since 98..I guess if I sit my *** in a C6 or a brand new 5th gen 1LE, I will think about selling the old fbody, again..

BTW, your car runs hard for beeing cam only. Lot of fbody dont go 120mph with H/C.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
What do you own? What does the OP own?

We were clearly talking about Fbodies. Case and point.

4 recorded on this website and the LS1 has been out for how many years now? I get that it is possible, but the way you are talking in rhetoric, you make it sound like anybody could do it.

If so, come out to Iowa and help me out when I pick up another toy

Curious to see how your ET, trap, and dyno #s would be with a 9"
F-body, vette ....it don't really matter. I'm not saying anyone can do it. Clearly they can't. But I can, and that is all that really matters to me.

We will find out what it will do on a fab 9 soon enough.
You still haven't even put a decent rear end in your car. Where as me, the first thing I did to my F-body was put a real rear-end in it before I even put any power mods to it. As opposed to doing things backwards just so I can brag all year long about my "trap speeds". LOL That's the difference between you and I.

See, comments like this is what will get you ran out of the Tech forums. Tell that to all the other LS6 guys going faster with more agressive cams.
I really have not had much for rearend problems until this axle breaking issue. I did break 2 sets of 4.10's but that is one reason why I tell people 4.10's suck for these cars. The 3.90's have been solid...not even a whimper out of them. Will they take a 6k 2step dump on a slick....probably not.

What do you think a 9" is gonna take 10mph out of traps??? Thinking like that would get you ran out of tech forums.

Do you think the stock tq arm drives my mph up too?

I'll tell ya the difference between you and I. I can get this ls6 to trap 130+.....you had to buy a ZR1 to do it

With that said I would rather have the ZR1....lol

As far as the ls6 swap with a cam car goes. Clearly that car is under performing. W/o knowing all details it's hard to say. But I would rather have a stock cam with a spot on tune than a cam and the tune be off any day. I'm sure anyone on a "tech" forum would agree. And I think there are alot of cam cars out there with the tunes off and even more with there combo's lacking.

My car is a street car .....dd actually. I would rather have a high trapping street car vs a awesome 60' drag car. Now at some point I will find a happy medium between them. When I do you will call more bs.
I reduced the weight of it to help ALL aspects of performance w/o compromising it's dd ability. That also helps the 10bolt live. You for instance already said a 9" would be the first thing you have done. Your in the same boat as lots of others....thinking right inside that box.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Launching!

F-body, vette ....it don't really matter. I'm not saying anyone can do it. Clearly they can't. But I can, and that is all that really matters to me.

We will find out what it will do on a fab 9 soon enough.

I really have not had much for rearend problems until this axle breaking issue. I did break 2 sets of 4.10's but that is one reason why I tell people 4.10's suck for these cars. The 3.90's have been solid...not even a whimper out of them. Will they take a 6k 2step dump on a slick....probably not.

What do you think a 9" is gonna take 10mph out of traps??? Thinking like that would get you ran out of tech forums.

Do you think the stock tq arm drives my mph up too?

I'll tell ya the difference between you and I. I can get this ls6 to trap 130+.....you had to buy a ZR1 to do it

With that said I would rather have the ZR1....lol

As far as the ls6 swap with a cam car goes. Clearly that car is under performing. W/o knowing all details it's hard to say. But I would rather have a stock cam with a spot on tune than a cam and the tune be off any day. I'm sure anyone on a "tech" forum would agree. And I think there are alot of cam cars out there with the tunes off and even more with there combo's lacking.

My car is a street car .....dd actually. I would rather have a high trapping street car vs a awesome 60' drag car. Now at some point I will find a happy medium between them. When I do you will call more bs.
I reduced the weight of it to help ALL aspects of performance w/o compromising it's dd ability. That also helps the 10bolt live. You for instance already said a 9" would be the first thing you have done. Your in the same boat as lots of others....thinking right inside that box.
When you find that track vid lemme know. Till then I won't waste anymore time. Whatever you want to believe in your imaginary fantasy land is your business. I'll stick to real world.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Then when he posts a video... you will still claim BS. Videos will prove nothing more then a timeslip to anyone who refuses to believe its possible.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by evangto87
Then when he posts a video... you will still claim BS. Videos will prove nothing more then a timeslip to anyone who refuses to believe its possible.
Very true.

**** I posted the log of the run in another thread. I have also posted a vid where it went 11.1 @126.xx feathering the gas and half sideways coming out the gate. Not to mention it has went 129+ on 3 different occasions. It's not like it's a one thing.

hey evan have you ever heard of a 10bolt driving up mph??
Old 02-18-2013, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very true.

**** I posted the log of the run in another thread. I have also posted a vid where it went 11.1 @126.xx feathering the gas and half sideways coming out the gate. Not to mention it has went 129+ on 3 different occasions. It's not like it's a one thing.

My buddy trapped 122 with closed cut out and 4.10s on a 10 bolt. He trapped 124-125 with cut out open and dana 60 with 4.10s. Rear end weighed 75lbs more and cut out was worth 15whp. So if you ask me. No, going to another rear end really wont effect things all that noticably. Id imagine you would have more benefits from a rear end being able to launch the car that much harder then the added weight would hurt you. But then again... i drive a ford. My opinion is null...
Old 02-18-2013, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Very true.

I can see where Redfires coming from. For as much as you put other people's combinations down and strut your stuff around the SRK, some guys just want to see your car in action, that's all. How is that so complicated? You can bitch all you want about people "calling bs" or whatever but that goes with the territory. People like to see proof sometimes.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can see where Redfires coming from. For as much as you put other people's combinations down and strut your stuff around the SRK, some guys just want to see your car in action, that's all. How is that so complicated? You can bitch all you want about people "calling bs" or whatever but that goes with the territory. People like to see proof sometimes.
You are Redfire....?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:16 PM
10 Second Club

My buddy trapped 122 with closed cut out and 4.10s on a 10 bolt. He trapped 124-125 with cut out open and dana 60 with 4.10s. Rear end weighed 75lbs more and cut out was worth 15whp. So if you ask me. No, going to another rear end really wont effect things all that noticably. Id imagine you would have more benefits from a rear end being able to launch the car that much harder then the added weight would hurt you. But then again... i drive a ford. My opinion is null...
Really....so you think I could gain mph.....well that's not right....that would be cheating.

I must lose 10mph just to legitimize my car....lmao
Old 02-18-2013, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

You are Redfire....?
Imagine that....2 redfires and the bs is getting called on me.....

Split personality maybe???
Old 02-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Really....so you think I could gain mph.....well that's not right....that would be cheating.

I must lose 10mph just to legitimize my car....lmao
Its amazing how I keep breaking it down but you just don't get it. I never said you would gain 10mph, just in response to your "this is how I do things" comment I'm giving you an example of how you do things backwards.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Imagine that....2 redfires and the bs is getting called on me.....

Split personality maybe???
There's can only be one Redfire. I'm trying to get you to see where I am coming from but you're a tough one.

Do you have a timeslip of the 133 trap so I see what you're backhalfing?

Quick Reply: 2000 Cammed SS vs 2012 5.0 (5.0's are beast)