Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

400 whp 5.0 Mustang vs few LS1 camaro's

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Heater
No, No, No. Cracked manifolds and shooting spark plugs are WAY more serious than catastrophic failure of a VERY expensive engine in a VERY expensive car.
I'm not saying fords are junk. No one makes an indestructible engine. If you beat it it will brake eventually. I have had better luck with GM through personal experience. And I'm just talking about common stuff not associated with abuse. LS7 motors make up how many percent of LS cars on the road? To say LS motors suck Just because 1 version has a problem I think is wrong. If I had an ls7 I would prob do heads and cam anyway. But that's just me and I'm not everyone. I would still drive a ford over an import.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawhead
I bought a 5.3 that shatterd a lifter

Guess that was just a fluke and didn't really happen
Probably over revved and floated out of the lifter retainer.
We already know there is a issue.
No, No, No. Cracked manifolds and shooting spark plugs are WAY more serious than catastrophic failure of a VERY expensive engine in a VERY expensive car.
So now you want to compare a a hi perf engine to the run of the mill ford ****???? Really??? Typical ford guy comparison. You can't even get a new ford with over 500hp n/a. Compare the truck engine to truck engine........or we can talk about the fix for the snout of gt500 cranks. Local ford engine guru has did 2 of those so far.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 408-99-f
I'm not saying fords are junk. No one makes an indestructible engine. If you beat it it will brake eventually. I have had better luck with GM through personal experience. And I'm just talking about common stuff not associated with abuse. LS7 motors make up how many percent of LS cars on the road? To say LS motors suck Just because 1 version has a problem I think is wrong. If I had an ls7 I would prob do heads and cam anyway. But that's just me and I'm not everyone. I would still drive a ford over an import.
Where did someone say that?
Old 09-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Typical ford guy comparison.
Typical GM guy with a chip on your shoulder and the blinders on. The Vette is y'alls flagship car, sorry it has problems.

Originally Posted by mr. e
I think the point is that if you abuse the snot out of either, it'll shorten the life. I've seen 4.8s lose oil pressure & start clattering. I've seen ls1s break rockers. I've seen ls1s spin rod bearings. I've seen 6.0s spin rod bearings. I've seen an ls1 send smoke signals from the dipstick tube after shooting the dipstick out, I've seen pins get yanked out of the bottom of LS7 pistons after it got sick of the driver putting it into the limiter. 2 rods completely shattered and were never seen again following that event. Both pins were in the pan and there were no signs of oil starvation.

I'm not portraying ford as being perfect. As I said, beat the snot out of anything enough and it'll stop producing snot.
This. Beating on any engine will shorten the life. There are guys running stock cars with the stock tune on corvetteforum that have had the exhaust valve problem with less than 20,000 miles. That's a flaw, like it or not.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

How many LS motors have been put out?
Probably far fewer than Modulars.
They are all good motors.
They are indeed, as were the Modular from Ford. As intended, each has its limits.

Does the LS7 droping valves suck, yes Is it realy as common as 1 in 100? I find that hard to believe.
Even if it's only 1 in 1,000, that's apparently not great... I mean, there were about 1 in 4,000 MT-82(or whatever) Getrag 6spds in Mustangs bad, but amongst this crowd, it was the worst transmission ever and Ford SUCKS for it...

GM is prob coming up with a fix right now. If they haven't already. It has become a ford guys ace in the hole.
Really? Really? Do you pay any attention to the INCESSANT trash talk about the Ford 4.6L and 5.4L on here? Ford hasn't even offered either engine in 3 model years, but to look at it here, Ford still makes the same "crap" they did at the end of 2010... "Ace in the hole" anyone?

I am not hearing much of anything else bad.
Let's hope not. They started with the basic design in 1995... Hopefully by 2014, they've figured out how to build it. It is General Motors, after all.

LS7 motors are only junk to people that got drug by one.
One BIG difference I see between the Ford guys and GM guys is, Ford guys don't usually claim things like this at all, whereas GM fans seem to go out of their way to claim Ford sucks, ESPECIALLY when Ford bests GM. Anyone who blatantly states the LS7(or any LS series) is junk either has no idea what they're talking about, is angry, is joking or is an idiot. I don't really think that's happening though, and if it is, probably in jest. Nearly everyone (in the automotive world) knows that's one of the best performance designs in mechanical history.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Teching In

I read on ls1tech that you can't over-rev an LSx. Bouncing off the limiter is completely safe.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

I guess with 0 posts you can't figure out the how's of it.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I mean, there were about 1 in 4,000 MT-82(or whatever) Getrag 6spds in Mustangs bad
I personally know 4 people with 2011 GTs. 3 of the 4 have had trans failures of various sorts. and one of those went through 2.

Really makes you wonder how many more were out there not getting reported or being swept under the rug.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I personally know 4 people with 2011 GTs. 3 of the 4 have had trans failures of various sorts. and one of those went through 2.

Really makes you wonder how many more were out there not getting reported or being swept under the rug.
I know the guy who has the worlds fastest MT-82 with all stock hard parts....

And he's gone hundreds of passes with it.....
Old 09-10-2013, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 156 Likes on 107 Posts

I know the guy who has the worlds fastest MT-82 with all stock hard parts....

And he's gone hundreds of passes with it.....
and I know a guy that had his mt 82 pile up in his boss with like 2000 miles on it.

and it made no passes at the track.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

I bought a 5.3 that shatterd a lifter

Guess that was just a fluke and didn't really happen
no you didn't.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

We already know there is a issue.

So now you want to compare a a hi perf engine to the run of the mill ford ****???? Really??? Typical ford guy comparison. You can't even get a new ford with over 500hp n/a. Compare the truck engine to truck engine........or we can talk about the fix for the snout of gt500 cranks. Local ford engine guru has did 2 of those so far.
Then that would be a typical GM guy response. WTF does N/A have to do with anything? The dyno doesn't know if a motor is N/A or not, the drag strip doesn't know if a motor is N/A or not.

Here is truck engine to truck engine: the 5.3's after they get some miles on them sound like they have rocks in them when you crank them up. Then there is the cam/lifter failures that everybody knows about. I don't know about you, but I would rather spend $45 and 20 minutes fixing a spark plug hole than as much as it costs in money and time to do a cam swap.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Teching In

I guess with 0 posts you can't figure out the how's of it.
Please explain. With your arrogance and post count you've obviously got if figured out.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

Probably far fewer than Modulars.
They are indeed, as were the Modular from Ford. As intended, each has its limits.

Even if it's only 1 in 1,000, that's apparently not great... I mean, there were about 1 in 4,000 MT-82(or whatever) Getrag 6spds in Mustangs bad, but amongst this crowd, it was the worst transmission ever and Ford SUCKS for it...

Really? Really? Do you pay any attention to the INCESSANT trash talk about the Ford 4.6L and 5.4L on here? Ford hasn't even offered either engine in 3 model years, but to look at it here, Ford still makes the same "crap" they did at the end of 2010... "Ace in the hole" anyone?

Let's hope not. They started with the basic design in 1995... Hopefully by 2014, they've figured out how to build it. It is General Motors, after all.

One BIG difference I see between the Ford guys and GM guys is, Ford guys don't usually claim things like this at all, whereas GM fans seem to go out of their way to claim Ford sucks, ESPECIALLY when Ford bests GM. Anyone who blatantly states the LS7(or any LS series) is junk either has no idea what they're talking about, is angry, is joking or is an idiot. I don't really think that's happening though, and if it is, probably in jest. Nearly everyone (in the automotive world) knows that's one of the best performance designs in mechanical history.
I do apologize if I came off as an a** hole. I get a little territorial when it comes to My brand and F-body comments lol. I get a lot of crap from mustang and import guys in my area. Not to offend but not one of them havent seen my tail lights. Kinda put that on you all. Im the only GM guy around and always am on the D. Ok that said now just admit GM is the s*** and if Jesus were here today he would be driving one and we can call it a day. JK
Old 09-10-2013, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507

It doesn't make me wonder and if it really does you, find a better hobby.

They can't simply sweep losses under the rug... unless they wanna end up like GM, bankrupt. I know at least 12 people with those transmissions and exactly none have had issues... That's people I personally know, not just garbage I read on the internet. There have been clutch issues, but all directly related to racing. Personally, I don't care because if I were to get a new GT, it would have an auto. Since Ford leaves the power alone, it's well worth it.

I suppose I should wonder how many "issues" were faked... but I don't. It's beating a dead horse. We haven't heard of any problems in literally about 2yrs and they've now made over 150,000 units... 200 - 300 complaints amounts to nearly nothing. At the time, there was a 3% complaint rate(which is what I actually guessed it was at that time) and Ford hasn't changed the transmission at all since, yet the problems seem to have disappeared, having only negative affected 2011 models... 2012-14's have been much better... Imagine that. Now we actually have something to wonder over.

Originally Posted by big hammer
no you didn't.
You're just like Hio... you know people who have problems with their Fords, but when someone says they have a problem with their own GM, you claim they don't... Who the heck are YOU to know about someone you've never met? The guy could be lying just like you, but why judge so harshly?

Please explain. With your arrogance and post count you've obviously got if figured out.
He knows everything about GM and Ford products and problems... but please don't ask him to explain it because THAT'S where he starts having trouble...

I do apologize if I came off as an a** hole. I get a little territorial when it comes to My brand and F-body comments lol. I get a lot of crap from mustang and import guys in my area. Not to offend but not one of them havent seen my tail lights. Kinda put that on you all. Im the only GM guy around and always am on the D. Ok that said now just admit GM is the s*** and if Jesus were here today he would be driving one and we can call it a day. JK
LOL... I think if Jesus were here today, he'd walk...

It's not that you came off as an ***, but you can see some here simply refuse to live within reality on this matter. They'd rather point to a 2 to 15yr old Ford issue than admit GM has ever had a problem in the past. If you look at the stuff Ford is doing right now, it's all lookin' pretty good or better. GM has that going on too... In TWO areas... They're called Corvette and Cadillac...

Buick isn't far off and if only Chevy didn't offer so much unwanted stuff(Spark, Sonic, Volt, Malibu and Cruze even, though it's better than the others in some ways), it would be there as well. When you have 9 models on your list, you're covering too much and therefore, over-lapping too much. Ford does this with the C-max, Focus and Fiesta imo. They could get by with 1 of those and using the various powertrains for it. Instead, they're now offering a Fiesta ST... Cute, but a waste of space and time.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Old 09-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Why does every "(insert random car) vs. mustang" thread always turn into a history lesson on fords, who gives a ****.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Whiplash88
Why does every "(insert random car) vs. mustang" thread always turn into a history lesson on fords, who gives a ****.
NEWSFLASH FOR DUMMIES(and newbies)... If ya don't care, go on with your life and leave those of us who do alone, or at least grow up(mentally) and understand that it is what it is, EVEN THOUGH you're a whining fool.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:33 PM
10 Second Club

It doesn't make me wonder and if it really does you, find a better hobby.

They can't simply sweep losses under the rug... unless they wanna end up like GM, bankrupt. I know at least 12 people with those transmissions and exactly none have had issues... That's people I personally know, not just garbage I read on the internet. There have been clutch issues, but all directly related to racing. Personally, I don't care because if I were to get a new GT, it would have an auto. Since Ford leaves the power alone, it's well worth it.

I suppose I should wonder how many "issues" were faked... but I don't. It's beating a dead horse. We haven't heard of any problems in literally about 2yrs and they've now made over 150,000 units... 200 - 300 complaints amounts to nearly nothing. At the time, there was a 3% complaint rate(which is what I actually guessed it was at that time) and Ford hasn't changed the transmission at all since, yet the problems seem to have disappeared, having only negative affected 2011 models... 2012-14's have been much better... Imagine that. Now we actually have something to wonder over.

You're just like Hio... you know people who have problems with their Fords, but when someone says they have a problem with their own GM, you claim they don't... Who the heck are YOU to know about someone you've never met? The guy could be lying just like you, but why judge so harshly?

He knows everything about GM and Ford products and problems... but please don't ask him to explain it because THAT'S where he starts having trouble...

LOL... I think if Jesus were here today, he'd walk...

It's not that you came off as an ***, but you can see some here simply refuse to live within reality on this matter. They'd rather point to a 2 to 15yr old Ford issue than admit GM has ever had a problem in the past. If you look at the stuff Ford is doing right now, it's all lookin' pretty good or better. GM has that going on too... In TWO areas... They're called Corvette and Cadillac...

Buick isn't far off and if only Chevy didn't offer so much unwanted stuff(Spark, Sonic, Volt, Malibu and Cruze even, though it's better than the others in some ways), it would be there as well. When you have 9 models on your list, you're covering too much and therefore, over-lapping too much. Ford does this with the C-max, Focus and Fiesta imo. They could get by with 1 of those and using the various powertrains for it. Instead, they're now offering a Fiesta ST... Cute, but a waste of space and time.
I just finished a 16 hour day at work. some imma just call you a homo for now and move on.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by big hammer
and I know a guy that had his mt 82 pile up in his boss with like 2000 miles on it.

and it made no passes at the track.
LOL
Then that would be a typical GM guy response. WTF does N/A have to do with anything? The dyno doesn't know if a motor is N/A or not, the drag strip doesn't know if a motor is N/A or not.

Here is truck engine to truck engine: the 5.3's after they get some miles on them sound like they have rocks in them when you crank them up. Then there is the cam/lifter failures that everybody knows about. I don't know about you, but I would rather spend $45 and 20 minutes fixing a spark plug hole than as much as it costs in money and time to do a cam swap.
You mad that a 5.3 would drag that pos 5.4. Like I said if I had to carry a kit to fix my spark plugs with me when they blew out I wouldn't own that pos. No defending that as hard as you may try.

N/a has alot to do with ****. You can blow air threw anything to make power.....even a pos honda. Some on here please build a n/a ford mod motor that runs respectively. All you guys want to yak about that **** and NONE of you have done it.
If you can't figure out how you need a new hobby.

Quick Reply: 400 whp 5.0 Mustang vs few LS1 camaro's