Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

06 GTO, 01 Camaro, 10 GT and 04 MACH 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

LS2 Goat and Post 01 F body about the same in regards to stock and modded. Goat a much better car though in regards to interior,ride and materials. Much newer design though.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:46 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4PointSlow
I did 12.5 @ 111 mph with 3.73s, lcas, tire, and a tune(stock stall, manifolds, y pipe, catback!). 2002 z28 auto

I raced a cam/fast intake/full exhaust 6 speed ls2 6.0 gto that made 420 whp and he did 12.6 @ 115 mph.

The GTO is simply NO COMPARISON for the F body mod for mod, end of story.
I THINK you're joking...
Old 02-16-2014, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dammit, now I want an 06 GTO. Serious.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Yea GTo`s are turds, all of em!
Old 02-17-2014, 03:52 AM
Teching In

They day a GTO with the same amount of mods or less, 6.0 withstanding, is the day I grow a mullet. It's never going to happen. The F body is the superior platform as far as drag racing.

Nice cars, I have been thinking about trading mine in. But don't want there to be any confusion as to which car is the all around superior choice for straight line speed.

Yes go ahead and post vids of heads/cam/forged/stroker/LSX/Nitrous/Turbo/Supercharged GTOs vs ls1 f bodys with lids and flowmasters, doesn't change the fact.

Last edited by 4PointSlow; 02-17-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

^^ lol every platform has underperforming versions of the same car. I've got several videos of my Cammed sbc nova freight training cammed or Bolton f body's yet got drug by a cam only gto. Not to mention my gto , wich made 505/490 thrue stock ls6 heads, was door to door with a turbo/stalled/slick fbody that put down 499/4xx 2 psi ago. Your personal experiences are just that, yours. Mine reflect much differently than yours, and my gto was an ks1 variant
Old 02-17-2014, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

They day a GTO with the same amount of mods or less, 6.0 withstanding, is the day I grow a mullet. It's never going to happen. The F body is the superior platform as far as drag racing.

Nice cars, I have been thinking about trading mine in. But don't want there to be any confusion as to which car is the all around superior choice for straight line speed.

Yes go ahead and post vids of heads/cam/forged/stroker/LSX/Nitrous/Turbo/Supercharged GTOs vs ls1 f bodys with lids and flowmasters, doesn't change the fact.
LOL, you are way off. When my car was bolt ons only, my friends bolt on LS2 GTO consistently pulled on me... it was slightly, but his car was obviously a little faster. We must have run eachother 20 times (digs, different roll speeds) with the same outcome.

Last edited by zz4camaro1980; 02-17-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:17 PM
***Repost Police***

Well that explains a lot, you really don't have any idea how certain cars perform outside of your little bubble.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwarta
^^ lol every platform has underperforming versions of the same car. I've got several videos of my Cammed sbc nova freight training cammed or Bolton f body's yet got drug by a cam only gto. Not to mention my gto , wich made 505/490 thrue stock ls6 heads, was door to door with a turbo/stalled/slick fbody that put down 499/4xx 2 psi ago. Your personal experiences are just that, yours. Mine reflect much differently than yours, and my gto was an ks1 variant
So now that your rear end is good to go, time for some new heads and then track results?!
Old 02-17-2014, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel that maybe you are being a bit hard on the GTO. It does have many positive aspects to it from the more powerful LS2 (06+), to the nice interior and exterior styling. The LS2 also produces good power increases when modded plus the fact that it has a pretty good size aftermarket for performance parts.

On the other hand (with no disrespect to the GTO), I do feel it has a couple of downfalls (which is true with many cars also). This is just based on what I have heard from a couple of friends I have had who owned them.

One thing the GTO has to contend with is it's weight. They are on the heavy side as compared to the F-body. Even the owner of the GTO in the race shown on pg 1 stated multiple times that he "needs to put his car on a diet". Power to weight will plague the GTO unless it goes through some sort of weight transformation.

The other issue is with not being able to put a larger tire on the rear so traction becomes an issue especially on a stalled auto or dumping the clutch on a manual trans. I know that some people are actually rolling the inner fenderwell to fit a larger tire. This and the fact that the GTO has IRS with possibilities of breaking on a hard launch as opposed to an SRA for the F-Body.

Besides these couple of issues, there is no denying that the GTO is a lot of car in terms of power and styling for the prices and that it has made a formidable opponent on the street and track. I'd take one in a heartbeat.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:31 PM
Teching In

I put down 330 with just a tune, my friends ls2 gto put that down on the same day stock tune. He weighs 500-600 lbs more too. Don't you see the power to weight difference? The extra 10-20 whp from an ls2 isn't enough to compensate for the irs and weight disadvantage/

I ran an auto ls2 gto in a g35 that went 13.5 and it was literally neck and neck 20-120... Have never seen a stock/bolt on gto that impressed me. Heads/cam/nitrous/etc yes.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:34 PM
***Repost Police***

500-600lbs!? Did you drop a couple/few hundred pounds from your car or something? 6spd LS2 GTOs were known to run in the 12s bone stock FAR more often than F-bodies, trust me on that.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

an ls2 GTO is the equivalent of an ls1 fbody.

This has been a fact for years my friend. This is my junk yard build. Literally a junk yard lq9 6.0 with nothing but longtubes, cut outs, ls6 intake, ls6 cam, ud pulley. It only made 350whp...20whp less then my buddies full exhaust only ls2 gto. This car even had the wrong converter (way too tight). With the right converter, wouldnt have had a problem going 11.8-11.9 at 114-115. Race weight was 3700lbs on this pass. Have you gone this fast? I hope so...

Old 02-17-2014, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Well that explains a lot, you really don't have any idea how certain cars perform outside of your little bubble.
I'm at the track every weekend, I know how they perform and it's not good.

There were 7 gto's there this weekend.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

so have you gone as fast as that car?
Old 02-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by evangto87
an ls2 GTO is the equivalent of an ls1 fbody.

This has been a fact for years my friend. This is my junk yard build. Literally a junk yard lq9 6.0 with nothing but longtubes, cut outs, ls6 intake, ls6 cam, ud pulley. It only made 350whp...20whp less then my buddies full exhaust only ls2 gto. This car even had the wrong converter (way too tight). With the right converter, wouldnt have had a problem going 11.8-11.9 at 114-115. Race weight was 3700lbs on this pass. Have you gone this fast? I hope so...

Junk yard 6.0 GTO goes 12.1 @ 113 - YouTube
My pass on my stock ls1 with a tune and cutout would have been 12.3 @ 113-114 at track like cecil, houston, or atco(at sea level). But I go to a track that's 1500+ feet above sea level. Don't go full retard and say DA makes no difference. You're an idiot if you think that.

I would hope a cammed, full bolt on, tuned, stalled 6.0 would beat a near stock ls1 f body.

My friend's y pipe only 02 Camaro SS did 12.5 on tire, 12.7 on all seasons. Here's his dyno when he was stock.

Here's him vs a full exhaust and tuned coyote 5.0 liter

He doesn't have ls6 heads either, the mustang owner put that in the description because he felt like the outcome should not have been what it was. Butt hurt to cut it short.

Last edited by 4PointSlow; 02-17-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

My pass on my stock ls1 with a tune and cutout would have been 12.3 @ 113-114 at track like cecil, houston, or atco(at sea level). But I go to a track that's 1500+ feet above sea level. Don't go full retard and say DA makes no difference. You're an idiot if you think that.

I would hope a cammed, full bolt on, tuned, stalled 6.0 would beat a near stock ls1 f body.
That doesnt answer my question... whole lotta guessing there. Hate to break it to you. But that video is not at any of those tracks and is also at similar DA.

That car is NOT full bolt on or even anywhere close to that (how you get that is beyond me), a STOCK ls6 cam (fyi the ls2 uses the 01 ls6 cam).

LS6 intake - stock
LS6 cam - stock
Stock 6.0 short block and heads (9.5:1 compression)
kooks headers and cut outs/stock catback
and a converter too tight for even a stock cam

Like I said. That car made 20whp less then a headers/tune only ls2 GTO.

So again... what have YOU run at the track? Because it sounds like your imaginary hero runs at a super duper track you havent raced at are still 2-3 tenths slower then a motor i paid 300 bucks for out of a junk yard and ran at an average track.

Thing had more rust then compression.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

dude stop posting other peoples cars and answer my question... its really not that complicated
Old 02-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by evangto87
That doesnt answer my question... whole lotta guessing there. Hate to break it to you. But that video is not at any of those tracks and is also at similar DA.

That car is NOT full bolt on or even anywhere close to that (how you get that is beyond me), a STOCK ls6 cam (fyi the ls2 uses the 01 ls6 cam).

LS6 intake - stock
LS6 cam - stock
Stock 6.0 short block and heads (9.5:1 compression)
kooks headers and cut outs/stock catback
and a converter too tight for even a stock cam

Like I said. That car made 20whp less then a headers/tune only ls2 GTO.

So again... what have YOU run at the track? Because it sounds like your imaginary hero runs at a super duper track you havent raced at are still 2-3 tenths slower then a motor i paid 300 bucks for out of a junk yard.

Thing had more rust then compression.
Like I said a stalled 6.0 with full exhaust and a cam/engine that didn't even come with the car from the factory. Hardly apples to apples.

On top of that you're just proving my point, saying a gto with a whole list of mods is faster than a stock ls1 f body with a tune and drag radials.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow you are as ignorant as ignorant can be....

You dont seem to follow what Im saying here...

A STOCK LS2 MAKES MORE POWER THEN THAT JUNK YARD MOTOR

Quick Reply: 06 GTO, 01 Camaro, 10 GT and 04 MACH 1