Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

bolt on ls1 vs bolt on 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had to Google Dunseith to see where the hell it was, lol.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I could agree that it was a solid kill. I also happen to question the tires on the F-body. It nearly lifted the front left and on regular radials, that simply won't happen if the set up is what's been described.

That's pretty accurate, really. Anyone can talk trash and it's all good, but you'd have to be either completely ignorant or a total fool to seriously believe the LS1 holds a candle to the 32V 5L.

GM didn't stop producing the LS1 because nothing better could be made. 'Nuff said????

You do realize, don't you, that you basically just said, "Hey y'all, watchisss" and then failed the landing, right? After all, bashing the Mustang for running 13.0's where you race, only to turn around and say the car(LS1 F-body) you're placing over it is even slower... just isn't a win.

Covering those tracks? C'mon... You said earlier they were running 13 flat stock... now they had DR's... right.

You may not be aware of this, but the Mustang makes more power and torque than the old LS1... MUCH MORE power, to be sure. It's also well documented to be quicker, so why carry on with such a charade?
So far, that would like Sugar Ray Leonard, in his prime, challenging Cassius Clay in his...

Even if you wanted to do it, you won't.

awe my little buddy is here!
Old 03-29-2014, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blown383LS1
I had to Google Dunseith to see where the hell it was, lol.
lol that's still not very close to me.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 242 Posts

It'llrun I'm not bashing the 5.0 but don't sit here and say it's some absolute power house and poo the ls1, they do not dominate, stock for stock ya the 5.0 is faster, but throw some exhaust and drag radials on and be right back in the game for a 12+ year old car, 16 years in my case, I'm not worried
Old 03-29-2014, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

5.0 times can vary a lot due to the weight of the car. Stock to stock and with the same mods it does dominate over the Ls1 fbody. Not end of the world. Just get your car running as good as you can and lose weight
Old 03-29-2014, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

Aren't the f-bodys light enough? I mean some are down to around 3200 lbs. And still can't run with the tiny 5L bros
Old 03-29-2014, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by OneSlowV
Aren't the f-bodys light enough? I mean some are down to around 3200 lbs. And still can't run with the tiny 5L bros
I guess you never watched the vids!
Old 03-29-2014, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm heavier and beat them all at a local svtforum meet at Cecil a few years ago with bolt ons. 5l bros have the edge. You just have to be smarter and work on traction. Seems like the people that get butt hurt about the Coyote having the edge are kids with no money for mods. Work on traction and weight. In my experience the base model automatic Coyote is the monster. It's light and with simple bolt ons 11s and 118mph traps is average at sea level
Old 03-29-2014, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
It'llrun I'm not bashing the 5.0 but don't sit here and say it's some absolute power house and poo the ls1, they do not dominate, stock for stock ya the 5.0 is faster, but throw some exhaust and drag radials on and be right back in the game for a 12+ year old car, 16 years in my case, I'm not worried
The 5L DOMINATES the LS1, period.

All this nonsense talk is one thing, but the FACT of the matter is quite simple. The LS1 has been taken to its limit and we know that it does not deal well when the really high power levels show up.

Yeah, people argue this and that and I've said for YEARS that the LS1 is a great engine. That does NOT change the facts. You've never heard of a legitimate 2,000hp real LS1 and you NEVER WILL! Have other LS or LQ engines done it? Yup!

The reality is, the block cannot withstand the pressures required to make that much power. This is only part of why GM moved forward with several better examples of this basic design.

I'm not bashing the LS1 at all... Simple fact is, the 5L is far and away a better engine. Most haters here know it and immediately suggest we compared it to something INSIDE a Corvette, but not an LS1 inside a Corvette...Instead, something much newer. Nobody with an LS3 is swapping in an LS1 and there IS a reason... That's only one of several LS engines we know are better than the LS1 and like all of those, the Coyote is also better.

You're considering 2 cars, the 4th gen F-body vs Mustang and that's fine, but in the end, the LS1 cars lose. You can say, well, with exhaust and a set of slicks I'm right back in the game, but as it turns out, they too, can add exhaust and slicks. Then we'll move into other mods, all of which they can also do and ultimately, power adders are included and at that point, the LS1 is done, no doubt.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:25 PM
10 Second Club

After all the hype I was disappointed in the 5.0.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by big hammer

It could have gold dust shooting out of it's tail pipes and you'd be disappointed.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by big hammer
3-4yrs into the LS1, many were saying the same thing.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

That's pretty accurate, really. Anyone can talk trash and it's all good, but you'd have to be either completely ignorant or a total fool to seriously believe the LS1 holds a candle to the 32V 5L.
Engine to engine... Agree. You have to be a complete ******* moron to believe every 5.0 can beat every ls1 though. I've seen far too many 5.0s running low 13s in great air on the same track I run at. They don't all click off 12 second passes with ease.... and that leaves just a small amount of overlap between the two cars.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:16 AM
wbt
Teching In

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Engine to engine... Agree. You have to be a complete ******* moron to believe every 5.0 can beat every ls1 though. I've seen far too many 5.0s running low 13s in great air on the same track I run at. They don't all click off 12 second passes with ease.... and that leaves just a small amount of overlap between the two cars.
...right. I see the same **** going on with 5th gen Camaro's. At some point you have to factor driver mod in there along with having a shitty combo and/or a car poorly setup for the strip. I have witnessed CTS-V's run 13's and ZR1's run 12's.

That said, how many street legal, N/A, stock long block, LS1 4th gen. Camaro or Trans Am's have you seen bust off a 10 second pass?

I have a list of several Coyotes and of those the quickest/fastest is NHRA legal to 10.00, 3,400lbs. raceweight. Still has A/C, stereo, power windows and locks.

Last edited by wbt; 03-30-2014 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:24 AM
TECH Regular

All this nonsense talk is one thing, but the FACT of the matter is quite simple. The LS1 has been taken to its limit and we know that it does not deal well when the really high power levels show up.

Yeah, people argue this and that and I've said for YEARS that the LS1 is a great engine. That does NOT change the facts. You've never heard of a legitimate 2,000hp real LS1 and you NEVER WILL! Have other LS or LQ engines done it? Yup!

The reality is, the block cannot withstand the pressures required to make that much power. This is only part of why GM moved forward with several better examples of this basic design.

I'm not bashing the LS1 at all... Simple fact is, the 5L is far and away a better engine. Most haters here know it and immediately suggest we compared it to something INSIDE a Corvette, but not an LS1 inside a Corvette...Instead, something much newer. Nobody with an LS3 is swapping in an LS1 and there IS a reason... That's only one of several LS engines we know are better than the LS1 and like all of those, the Coyote is also better.

You're considering 2 cars, the 4th gen F-body vs Mustang and that's fine, but in the end, the LS1 cars lose. You can say, well, with exhaust and a set of slicks I'm right back in the game, but as it turns out, they too, can add exhaust and slicks. Then we'll move into other mods, all of which they can also do and ultimately, power adders are included and at that point, the LS1 is done, no doubt.
Well said couldn't of said it better.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:32 AM
Teching In

I wasn't on drag radials, the mustang was. The dumbass that said he heard the 5.bro chirp the tires was hearing my tires.

Here's the mustang.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:34 AM
Teching In

Did you even read the post or watch any videos in the first post? Same day, same track, everything. Same basic mods for both cars, and the LS1 is just as fast if not faster. Quit being ignorant of what's right in front of you.

Last edited by 4PointSlow; 03-30-2014 at 04:42 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:03 AM
TECH Regular

Mod for mod the 5.0 is faster. Just cold hard facts. I keep asking you if you wanna run a legit bolt on 5.0. But you keep avoiding the subject. Remember just another slow 5.bro
Old 03-30-2014, 05:15 AM
Teching In

Mod for mod the 5.0 is faster. Just cold hard facts. I keep asking you if you wanna run a legit bolt on 5.0. But you keep avoiding the subject. Remember just another slow 5.bro
Why would I want to run your 5.0? I have run ones with more done to it than you.

What do you even run in the 1/4?
Old 03-30-2014, 05:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 4PointSlow
Why would I want to run your 5.0? I have run ones with more done to it than you.

What do you even run in the 1/4?
Mods don't mean ****. When they can't drive for ****. Maybe they need a easy matic like you lmao.

Quick Reply: bolt on ls1 vs bolt on 5.0