Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

I got drug, and I'm butt hurt. Real butt hurt. Feelings hurt bad.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
Ford never made a direct competitor for the vette, but some people are refusing to acknowledge the weight difference of the platform when we were strictly comparing engines in the first place.

Fact is, if the platforms were the same the LS3 would be quicker and faster then the 5.0 every time. You can't be quick to dismiss the weight difference between the 5.0 and the 5th gen, but then have a heart attack when the vette gets brought up which has a similar weight difference to the 5.0.
Coulda, shoulda, woulda. Again, not Ford's fault that GM put the ls3 in a tank.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown383LS1
Coulda, shoulda, woulda. Again, not Ford's fault that GM put the ls3 in a tank.

Originally Posted by red beast
I think it's an honor to compare vettes to our cars, it's shows the camaros aren't even a factor...
The z28 is faster and heavier
Old 05-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adamantium

The z28 is faster and heavier
They are gonna say GM needed more ci...
Old 05-10-2014, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Awesome, someone go buy one and drag race it. The Z/28 does not have the ls3 though.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Puck
Ford never made a direct competitor for the vette, but some people are refusing to acknowledge the weight difference of the platform when we were strictly comparing engines in the first place.

Fact is, if the platforms were the same the LS3 would be quicker and faster then the 5.0 every time. You can't be quick to dismiss the weight difference between the 5.0 and the 5th gen, but then have a heart attack when the vette gets brought up which has a similar weight difference to the 5.0.
Preach!!!
Old 05-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Banned

Awesome, someone go buy one and drag race it. The Z/28 does not have the ls3 though.
Your right it doesn't but the ls3 vette does. N that vette weighs considerable amount less than a Camaro ss and is faster than the 5.0 mustang. Just goes to show what would really happen if GM didn't build a pig of a car with the ls3 would do to the 5.0 mustang...
Old 05-10-2014, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Just imagine the possibilities.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Banned

You can't bring up aerodynamics as an excuse either bc there are plenty of vids with mustangs and camaros and trans ams beating vettes as well just more vids of vettes beating them. Bc of the weight differences mostly aerodynamics help the vette a lot and not saying it doesn't have a part in it. Again plenty of mustang, camaros, and TAs beating vettes.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 452 Likes on 355 Posts

Is it me or does it look like the Camaro is coming around the stang on the big end?? Sure looks that way.....about 2/3 a car at the finish from being a car and a half down threw the middle. But fif gens are turds.......hhhmmm
Old 05-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all, in the 50's, Ford built a direct competitor for the Vette...it was called a Thunderbird, and Ford had it's *** handed to it in sales compared to the Vette. Second, I can't believe it, but I agree with a lot of 4.slow's logic in this thread. The LS3 in an equal weight vehicle will pull the coyote every time. Does that make it a "better" motor? It makes more power, but far less per cubic inch. So, if you're Hammer, hp/ci means nothing, if you're any other reasonable human, it is the best evaluation of the design of an engine. What you think is best is up to you, me, personally...I appreciate the more efficient design. Not to take away from the LS, as it is excellent as well, just not as efficient.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 452 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by snake95
Chebby guys don't want nor like the engine displacement evened. They need a cubic inch advantage to keep up.
Not really......I would say if someone built a 347 furd that ran as good as my bolt-on ls6 it would be doin pretty good. But fact is it can't even match the overall performance of the ls6. Definitely not happening with furd parts. Didn't furd make a 5.4 32v modular.???....yea in a limited production car. Did it make as much power as a ls6???? nope

Keep dreaming snake. Fact is you're wanting to compare your built ford to what is easily available from gm. You have proved how much you believe in furd by not using their major engine parts.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gt4urass
First of all, in the 50's, Ford built a direct competitor for the Vette...it was called a Thunderbird, and Ford had it's *** handed to it in sales compared to the Vette. Second, I can't believe it, but I agree with a lot of 4.slow's logic in this thread. The LS3 in an equal weight vehicle will pull the coyote every time. Does that make it a "better" motor? It makes more power, but far less per cubic inch. So, if you're Hammer, hp/ci means nothing, if you're any other reasonable human, it is the best evaluation of the design of an engine. What you think is best is up to you, me, personally...I appreciate the more efficient design. Not to take away from the LS, as it is excellent as well, just not as efficient.
So because an engine which can rev higher which produces more power is more efficient? Never mind the cost never mind what dragsters use never mind who the ls7 is out performing, never mind how much less it can rev over an ohc engine...
Old 05-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by "MAC"
So because an engine which can rev higher which produces more power is more efficient? Never mind the cost never mind what dragsters use never mind who the ls7 is out performing, never mind how much less it can rev over an ohc engine...
You are really special. My only point was it makes more power per cubic inch, therefore is a more efficient design. Can't argue with math sweet pea.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Let's compare what top fuel dragsters run to a 5.0. Sounds legit.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 166 Likes on 116 Posts

again... what does hp\ltr do for you in a street race?
Old 05-10-2014, 12:57 PM
10 Second Club

You are really special. My only point was it makes more power per cubic inch, therefore is a more efficient design. Can't argue with math sweet pea.
can't argue with math.

the ls3 makes more hp\pound.

WAY more hp\valve.

more hp\physical material used.

more hp\cam.

all just as relevant if not more relevant than ricer math.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Banned

Let's compare what top fuel dragsters run to a 5.0. Sounds legit.
If an ohc engine was so much better wouldn't you think they would be using them? Which was my point... i know its hard for you to understand that...
Old 05-10-2014, 01:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by "MAC"
If an ohc engine was so much better wouldn't you think they would be using them? Which was my point... i know its hard for you to understand that...
they're too inefficient.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Teching In

More HP per ci does make the 5.0 more efficient...but that doesn't mean it's a better motor...and when it comes to performance, closely matched STOCK motors are only half the story when it comes to the outcome in a straight line or road course race.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Banned

Again it only does that bc it can rev higher why do you think mustangs get called dyno queens?

Quick Reply: I got drug, and I'm butt hurt. Real butt hurt. Feelings hurt bad.