Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

99 Z28 M6 vs B18 TURBO Civic coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 99 Z28 M6 vs B18 TURBO Civic coupe

Alright fellas i have an up coming race this weekend with a civic coupe with a B18 GSR with a stage 1 turbo and squeezing nitrous. he claims he already beat me but i never raced him before. we are going to race for some cash too. i have have slp y pipe, Flowmaster, no cats, slp lid, Fast toys ram air kit, Granatelli MAF, SLP bellow, silverstone spark plugs and msd wires. he will be running on Mickey Thompsons and i will be running on either Nitto Drags or Mickey thompsons myself. who do u guys think will win. and do think i should wait till next week till my 4.10 gears go in? or just race him this week without them? would it be wise to run with Mickey Thompsons with my stock rear end?
Old 06-01-2004, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

If i were you i would reconsider. Stage1 turbo, slick, and funny gas ... Is he going to hollow out the car? Does his car have a cage and switches in it? Are you on Nittos?
Old 06-01-2004, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wait for the 4.10's. They will help you greatly if you go off the line.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Launching!

He has full interior and no switches or anything like that. he is not as fast as i thought because i seen a 98 camaro ss tie him and all he has was exhaust and lid and running on street tires. i am going to run on on Nitto drags but i want to run on my friends Mickey thompsons but i dont know if that would be wise
Old 06-01-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BPLS1
He has full interior and no switches or anything like that. he is not as fast as i thought because i seen a 98 camaro ss tie him and all he has was exhaust and lid and running on street tires. i am going to run on on Nitto drags but i want to run on my friends Mickey thompsons but i dont know if that would be wise

Worried about that rear huh... I cannot advise you on that, but I do know if that other camaro can do it on street tires, you should be able to also. If you have a 01 - 02 SS you have a larger intake than the other camaros and with your mods you SHOULD clean the floor with him if all the other camaro had was just an exhaust and a lid. Good hunting and make that kill...
Old 06-01-2004, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Yeah i have a stock rear end and i dont want to break it with the Mickey Thompsons. I have a 99 so i have the LS1 intake not the LS6. will the 4.10s make that much of a difference?
Old 06-01-2004, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

i raced sum turbo charged honda and he had gutted the inside and had like 4 tachs in the side window panel.. so he meant business.. we raced from about a 40mph roll and i left him off the start but at about 70 he started to pull me in a lil but i stayed in front.. he said he wasnt spraying and he was working on his rpm changes or sumthin.. but he told me he ran a 11.3 in the 1/4 which suprised me.. b/c im all stock ..ws6 package t/a ..so who knows

i would wait for the 4.10's but they mite damage the rear.. who knows...good luck tho
Old 06-01-2004, 06:00 PM
Launching!

would i put my rear end in real danger running 4.10 gears on nitto drags or Mickey Thompsons? This guy is really cocky because he is still in High school and he thinks that he is the fastest thing around. i have to beat this kid no matter what.i think i can do it with my 4.10s and tires along with my other mods but i dont know
Old 06-01-2004, 06:14 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Line up at least 2 car widths away from him.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT COMPARE RACING ANOTHER CAR TO YOURS EVER!!!!!!!!

When racing for money, my buddy's and I ALWAYS do this. We'll have a 10 second fox body with some serious work done to it and run another buddy (me normally) in a near stock LS1 that runs low 13's/high 12's and I'll beat him by a CAR. That way when the dude that wants to race him for money (that I've raced before and got beat by 3 cars) he thinks he can take him by 2 cars. When money is on the line don't compare ****, it'll get you into trouble, it's a serious nono for anyone who knows anything about racing on the streets for cash. People have friends that you don't know about. If your car is running mid-low 12's you should be up for a good race. Just hope it gets the whole 1/4mile and not less. Those civics have some crazy 1/8mile times. with spray.. beware. I suggest not going for money to see the outcome... or if any go for like 20 bucks.. heh. Just my 2 cents.. =/ Anyone else do what we do? >_< [I only do it to the mustang people!!! I SWEAR! =p <3 unit ]

Old 06-01-2004, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Turbo imports suck in the 1/8, they are more trap speed than anything. Your better off trying to get him from a dig on a short race than a full 1/4 if his car is anything respectable. Good luck!

Jeffrey
Old 06-02-2004, 12:35 AM
Launching!

wtb98ss thanks for reminding me that i must not compare my car with anyone elses. i know 4 a fact that he is not in the mid - low 12 sec range though
Old 06-02-2004, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

hey do you know the name of the owner of this civic. cause you kinda live close to me, if you live in bladwin park cali that is
Old 06-02-2004, 02:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he's high 12's, I suggest doing all the free modding you can and you should be fine. I saw SLP y pipe... have some headers to go wif em!? =p. With your mods you should be high 12's/low 13's all day long. I beat a car that ran 12.2's. I only have 3" cat-back magnaflow, !FRA, NGK TR55's, Lid, K%N, Bellows, stock tires. Some people with crazy horepower can't put it to the ground on the street for the life of em. With Nitto's you'll take em. I suggest not racing for money if he has juice. Bad idea
Old 06-02-2004, 06:33 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like its going to be a cool race, make sure you post the results!

Im assuming that you will be running him on the street? Unless your ego just cant let you loose . . . Just run him with what you got for small cash (multiple times if you want). Your RWD LS1 is way easier to drive quickly on variable street conditions than a FWD turbo. I would be very conscious that you are racing a high school age kid driving a stressed Civic. Make sure he is committed to a safe race.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Ill try to do some free mods before i race this guy. i was wondering, does that EGR mod make a difference because i was thinking of doing that. and what other free mods do u guys suggest. this guy runs for at least $300 a race cause he has never lost yet so he is very big headed.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:03 PM
Launching!

This guy will want to race for money no matter what. so i will probably race for like 100 or something.i should tell him to disconnect his NOS huh?
Old 06-02-2004, 02:43 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This guy will want to race for money no matter what. so i will probably race for like 100 or something.i should tell him to disconnect his NOS huh?
You don't want to sound like this guy:

http://www.ftlauderdaleracing.com/mo...=getit&lid=153

It's always, always run what ya brung.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:59 PM
Launching!

should i use Mickey Thompsons or Nitto drags for thi race cause i know that he is going to run on his Mickey Thompsons. they only thing is i don't want to **** up my rear end
Old 06-02-2004, 03:04 PM
STF Veteran

no, you don't want him to disconnect his nitrous.

you want to install yours.

look at it this way, a nice dry kit is what, about $500 now? since you'll be winning $300 off him, it'll only cost you $200 in the end. if he's already got a turbo on that engine, i would be pretty suprised if he could put a shot anything like the 100hp or 125hp shot your engine can take without blowing his engine sky high. so his nitrous shot makes him 50 or 75hp stronger, while yours makes you 100 or 125hp stronger. a 100shot on top of your mods should put you in high 11/low 12 second territory, which should be more than enough to beat this kid.