Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

*Place your bets* GT350 vs stock 6th gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
No I don't. But I've done my share of racing as well. I've driven both.

IMO the performance difference was pretty noticeable.

I'm just getting frustrated.... Withdrawals . I never been without a car this long and I'm trying to do the right thing and be responsible. I'm car hangry

It's all good man, I don't take it to heart. lol

What was your driving experience with the GT. What did you do, how was it?
Old 07-13-2016, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 99peweterls1
It's all good man, I don't take it to heart. lol

What was your driving experience with the GT. What did you do, how was it?
I've driven two 5.0s and raced one.

Girl I was messing with two summers ago her older brother had a 12 GT manual with cat back, ORX, CAI and e85. I sold my 5g that summer and we never got to race. It was faster than I expected but I would have won for sure. A lot more mods obviously. I also had 305 Drs and he did not. He let me drive that car one time. Down the road a few miles and back. Bang through the gears a couple times no turns really. Would have beaten my 5g when FBO I'm pretty sure although I did not have e85. But with the heads and g6x3 cam revving to 7200 I had more power everywhere for certain.

Current GF. Her friends dad has a 14 GT auto all stock. She brought it over last October. Took it down the road and back. Compared to the 16ss I test drove in May it would have been pretty ugly. But then again the butt dyno isn't always accurate.

Random encounter with an 11-14 GT on the highway with my 5g with H/C. Not sure on his mods other than a loud exhaust. He got next to me and then took off... I dropped it down a couple gears and went around him pretty quickly.

Have not had any experience with an s550. But they perform pretty similar in a strait line from what read on the internet lol

They felt decent nothing wrong with them. Just not enough to pull me away from GM.

Last edited by UltraZLS1; 07-13-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 434 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by NateLS1Mustang
So you have GM's **** shoved so far down your throat that you're gonna rewrite mathematics just to have the LS7 "win"??

Too bad 526hp > 505hp you stupid ****.
Apearantly math avoids you. Even at the 526hp /429 rating the 5.2 comes up short. Sure it make 21 more hp......but it makes 41 less tq. Then on atual dynos same day same dyno it made the same hp but less tq.

Same hp but less tq is a less powerful engine. Chassis dyno again for confirmation of proof

Notice at no one point the 5.2 ever makes more power than the ls7.....it's always less. The only thing it does is rev longer using gear to multiply it's feminine tq.

WRONG, the internals of the engines are entirely different. The ls7 would be working hard with the mass of its internal parts not the voodoo. It was built to do that job in that fashion.
Rpm is work.....the 5.2 works harder than the ls7. Just the way it is.
Originally Posted by slowZZZ
GT350 revs much easier than the LS7. Seems like the LS is the one struggling to redline.
Not buy looking at the actual chassis dyno. The 5.2 peaks at 7500 then continues to loose power till its 8200 rpm cut. One thing you would not want to do is let the 5.2 drop below 6500 either. It would take alot of work to keep the motor in its peak on track.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Apearantly math avoids you. Even at the 526hp /429 rating the 5.2 comes up short. Sure it make 21 more hp......but it makes 41 less tq. Then on atual dynos same day same dyno it made the same hp but less tq.

Same hp but less tq is a less powerful engine. Chassis dyno again for confirmation of proof

Notice at no one point the 5.2 ever makes more power than the ls7.....it's always less. The only thing it does is rev longer using gear to multiply it's feminine tq.

Not buy looking at the actual chassis dyno. The 5.2 peaks at 7500 then continues to loose power till its 8200 rpm cut. One thing you would not want to do is let the 5.2 drop below 6500 either. It would take alot of work to keep the motor in its peak on track.
So size, construction,configuration, and weight of internals, valve train etc have no bearing on an engines "work"?

And you claim to know a lot about engines?
Old 07-13-2016, 03:51 PM
10 Second Club

Well i know more than you about them if ypu think rpm ain't work.

Face it....ford threw the book at the 5.2 and couldn't outperform a engine from 2006.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

LS7 is superior looking at those graphs...10yr old tech ta boot. The little flat plane 5.2 is still impressive none the less.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
LS7 is superior looking at those graphs...10yr old tech ta boot. The little flat plane 5.2 is still impressive none the less.
No replacement for displacement.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:18 PM
Teching In

That's the highest Z/28 dyno I've ever seen, honestly. I don't remember any stock C6 Z06 dynoing 470whp. Either way, a chassis dyno doesn't make any sense for comparing engines due to different drivetrain losses, etc.

Interesting thing is that comparo was done with 91 octane. Saw a GT350 dyno 91 vs 93 octane and it was down 10whp with 91. I haven't found any 91 vs 93 octane LS7 dynos, that would be interesting to see.

The Voodoo makes more power whether you like it or not. It may make less torque, but it also has much less displacement. Revving out easily closes the gap in effective torque.

Actually looking at the torque for the 5.2 it's like a friggin' plateau from 3.5k to 6k RPM. I think it'd be fine to drop below 6500 RPM. The motor revs so quickly and gearing is tight enough that there won't be any issues on a road course. I'll know more in August though.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Face it....ford threw the book at the 5.2 and couldn't outperform a engine from 2006.
That's just not true. They made more power with 1.8L less displacement and still lacks direct injection.

Last edited by slowZZZ; 07-13-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:38 PM
Teching In

What's a chassis dyno going to tell you on how an engine feels under load? I've actually had LS7 and Voodoo powered cars.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

slowZZZ cleaning house in here
Old 07-13-2016, 05:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Very true
That's the highest Z/28 dyno I've ever seen, honestly. I don't remember any stock C6 Z06 dynoing 470whp. Either way, a chassis dyno doesn't make any sense for comparing engines due to different drivetrain losses, etc.

Interesting thing is that comparo was done with 91 octane. Saw a GT350 dyno 91 vs 93 octane and it was down 10whp with 91. I haven't found any 91 vs 93 octane LS7 dynos, that would be interesting to see.

The Voodoo makes more power whether you like it or not. It may make less torque, but it also has much less displacement. Revving out easily closes the gap in effective torque.

Actually looking at the torque for the 5.2 it's like a friggin' plateau from 3.5k to 6k RPM. I think it'd be fine to drop below 6500 RPM. The motor revs so quickly and gearing is tight enough that there won't be any issues on a road course. I'll know more in August though.
Same dyno same day. 91 octane is whats available in cali.

The voodoo makes less power if you like it or not. It has to rev and use artificial tq.....be a no contest if it didn't.
That's just not true. They made more power with 1.8L less displacement and still lacks direct injection.
The ls7 lacked di and Vvti and made more power.
What's a chassis dyno going to tell you on how an engine feels under load? I've actually had LS7 and Voodoo powered cars.
Any track times on your vette?

A chassis dyno tells you how much power it makes by putting a load on the engine. You can easily be fooled by gearing about how much power a engine makes.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The voodoo makes less power if you like it or not. It has to rev and use artificial tq.....be a no contest if it didn't.
Hio, I always felt you were sharp and talented guy but then you go throw terms around like "artificial torque".

Lol..What the hell is that? Are you making up a new form of power measurement that only applies to Ford motors? Don't let me lose faith in you, man.

Last edited by MACHXLR8; 07-13-2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:08 PM
Launching!

Wrong, by your stature the earth is flat if you think rpm is the only deciding factor. Smh it's like talking to a wall and not a smart one either. Lol
Old 07-13-2016, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Wrong, by your stature the earth is flat if you think rpm is the only deciding factor. Smh it's like talking to a wall and not a smart one either. Lol
Well technically, when calculating motor torque, rpm does play a big part.

T = (5252 x Hp) / rpm

If a certain amount of HP is made with more rpm, than the torque is lower. If the same Hp is made with less rpm, it will make more torque since 5252 is a constant...(150 ft.lbs x 35.014 rpm) / 1Hp
Old 07-13-2016, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MACHXLR8
Well technically, when calculating motor torque, rpm does play a big part.

T = (5252 x Hp) / rpm

If a certain amount of HP is made with more rpm, than the torque is lower. If the same Hp is made with less rpm, it will make more torque since 5252 is a constant...(150 ft.lbs x 35.014 rpm) / 1Hp
Your 100 percent right. However we're not talking about output, but rather how "hard" the engine is working to complete the task. He doesn't seem to think the voodoo's design matters vs the ls7 and figures 1000rpm diffrence is the end all be all. Lol
Old 07-13-2016, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

GT350 revs much easier than the LS7. Seems like the LS is the one struggling to redline.
Yes.. Voodoo is clearly a superior engine to the LS7... GM fans refuse to believe it, and stand there with eyes closed shaking their heads saying "No No No No"
Old 07-13-2016, 07:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
They've been tested same track same day... You seen pops drag pack and e85 car run neck and neck with a stock m6. OP car beat an e85 car without drag pack.
Not really what I would call neck and neck... Nanner clearly was able to pull. And imo had we stretched it out more mph the pull would have gotten worse.

Last edited by Poppacapp; 07-13-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Your 100 percent right. However we're not talking about output, but rather how "hard" the engine is working to complete the task. He doesn't seem to think the voodoo's design matters vs the ls7 and figures 1000rpm diffrence is the end all be all. Lol
Totally agree. I have always pushed the fact that motor output in not the only contributing factors in terms of a car's performance. Weight, trans/final drive gearing, traction, suspension (weight transfer) and aerodynamics also play a big part. Power output is a good start though.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Very true

Same dyno same day. 91 octane is whats available in cali.

526 > 505. I'm just saying the Voodoo dyno looks low compared to others and the LS7 looks really high compared to others. I wouldn't be surprised if the GT350 is losing more power with 91 than the LS7 is, not even counting drivetrain differences.

Luckily 93 and E85 is everywhere where I live... California must suck for gas.

Voodoo has higher peak power output than the LS7 whether you like it or not. Just at a glance, by 6500 RPM the LS7 torque is falling off to Voodoo levels. Not that you would spend a lot of time at 6500-7000 on the track with the LS7 anyways. The Voodoo on the other hand still has 1750 RPM to play with at 6500 where the power is matching and then beating the LS7. At 6500 it's still picking up steam. With the gearing and how quickly the Voodoo revs, I don't see any reason to ever be much below 6k RPM's, but we'll see.

The biggest difference is the torque range that actually matters to the LS7 (3500-6000), the LS7 has a big torque advantage and it's decently flat (GT350 is surprisingly a little flatter) which kicks *** for road course. I will point out though, that is an unusually high torque output from the LS7. There were stock C6Z's dyno'ing under 415wtq. I wonder if they made changes to the LS7 for the Z/28. I can't imagine it had a more efficient drivetrain than the C6Z's did???

Clearly the Voodoo did something right power wise, because Motortrend tested the GT350 1/4 mile 12.4 @ 117.8. Z/28 tested at 12.3 @ 116.1. These cars weigh within 30 lbs of each other.

The ls7 lacked di and Vvti and made more power.
The Voodoo also lacked DI, was down 1.8L, and still ended up making more power. Sure, it had to use 3 more cam shafts, 16 more valves, flat plane crank, and VVTI to do it, but it's playing at a huge displacement deficit. When it comes to NA, displacement eventually becomes a choke point.

Any track times on your vette?
I ran VIR Full Course @ 2:09. Stock everything, street tires. The car definitely had more in it, but I'm nowhere near pro driver level. The C6Z limits are just so high, they are more capable than any Mustang ever made and it really does take a pro like Randy Pobst to wring every last bit of performance out... even stock w/ street tires. Of course it also still had to come home in one piece lol! With lightweight 18's all around, Hoosier R7's, and a lot more track time it definitely could hit sub 2 minutes, which is very very very fast for a street car. Probably not by me though... last thing I would ever want to do is risk wrecking it trying to break 2 minutes.

A chassis dyno tells you how much power it makes by putting a load on the engine. You can easily be fooled by gearing about how much power a engine makes.
But just looking at a dyno graph isn't going to tell you how fast an engine revs.

I've always thought the LS7 was the overall better package, but there's no doubt the Voodoo is one seriously badass 5.2. Just wish it didn't only come in a 3800 lbs Mustang.

Quick Reply: *Place your bets* GT350 vs stock 6th gen