Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Epic SRK B/S thread of 2019

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 08:22 AM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
new hummer, new bronco raptor, dodge power wagon, ford f250 tremor, ford f150 raptor, zr2 canyon/colorado, jeep rubicon

All have more ground clearance, larger / more aggressive tires, lockers rear some have it in the front also or a limited slip, traction control and more articulation. Which is what makes them do better offroad.

The rivian comes with car tires. That's not gonna get it done when the going gets tough

Colorado ZR2 - 10.7" 31" AT
Jeep Rubicon - 10.8" 33" AT
F250 Tremor - 10.8" 35" AT
Rivian R1T Standard - 11.5" 34" AT
Bronco Raptor - 13.1" 37" AT
F150 Raptor 13.1" 37" AT
Dodge Power Wagon - 14.2" 33" AT
Rivian R1T Off Road Mode - 14.9" 34" AT
Hummer EV - 15.9" 35" AT

I think you forgot the EV's are flat on the bottom.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

I didn't forget.....the ****** things don't float in air. They still have suspension.

And when it has the gimmick of adjustable height with the clearance you quoted the suspension droop is then limited. Thus not keeping the tires on the ground. If the tires aren't on the ground.....guess what's not happening....traction that's what.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by sw07gt
Here's them driving it through the Everglades if you care to watch a 16 minute video. Which I'm sure you don't, because you clearly didn't watch the video you posted.

https://youtu.be/70xYSvD7GJs

I'm only a few days into owning it so I'm definitely in the honeymoon phase, but this thing is ******* awesome. It's faster than pretty much any other truck, other than maybe the Hummer. The interior is nicer than any other truck, by a huge ******* margin and the sound system is incredible. It handles like a car and stops like a car. In summary, **** all your trucks.

Well I'm from Florida and again that's hard bottoms but there's muck out there in the cane fields just as there's clay or gumbo here in Texas. It's FAF and also HAF so I'll just agree to disagree that it's still not what I consider a truck and more like an expensive commuter.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I'm only a few days into owning it so I'm definitely in the honeymoon phase, but this thing is ******* awesome. It's faster than pretty much any other truck, other than maybe the Hummer. The interior is nicer than any other truck, by a huge ******* margin and the sound system is incredible. It handles like a car and stops like a car. In summary, **** all your trucks.

So it ******* worthless as a work truck. A true poser mobile. Look at my cool truck that can't actually do truck stuff. There's definitely a market for that.

In other words its the superior "truck" as long as you don't actually need it to do actual truck work like towing 😆 🤣 😂 😹 😆

The current crop of EV trucks are being marketed in entirely the wrong way. They are more like specialty performance vehicles. Basically the next evolution of the GMC Typhoon, Ford supercharged Lightening and Dodge SRT10 Viper....novelty performance vehicles that aren't useful as actual working trucks.

Nothing wrong with that, we all like what we like.
The following 4 users liked this post by 99 Black Bird T/A:
Kjduvall (11-09-2022), Nick.H (11-07-2022), NW-99SS (10-26-2022), S8ER95Z (10-28-2022)
Old 10-21-2022, 03:56 PM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I didn't forget.....the ****** things don't float in air. They still have suspension.

And when it has the gimmick of adjustable height with the clearance you quoted the suspension droop is then limited. Thus not keeping the tires on the ground. If the tires aren't on the ground.....guess what's not happening....traction that's what.
Clearly you did forget, considering ground clearance was the very first item you listed. I'll give you that they don't have as much articulation, but they seem to do plenty fine with the independently controlled wheels.

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kbE...=OFFROADNChill

This is what it means to be getting a little mud on the tires.
That doesn't look even remotely fun to me, I actively avoided that stuff even when I had my side by side. To each their own.

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
So it ******* worthless as a work truck. A true poser mobile. Look at my cool truck that can't actually do truck stuff. There's definitely a market for that.

In other words its the superior "truck" as long as you don't actually need it to do actual truck work like towing 😆 🤣 😂 😹 😆

The current crop of EV trucks are being marketed in entirely the wrong way. They are more like specialty performance vehicles. Basically the next evolution of the GMC Typhoon, Ford supercharged Lightening and Dodge SRT10 Viper....novelty performance vehicles that aren't useful as actual working trucks.

Nothing wrong with that, we all like what we like.
I hate to break it to you, but the overwhelming majority of pickup trucks arent doing anything but commuting and the trucks that are being bought to do work aren't at this price point. They're XL/WT trim fleet trucks. Very few people tow, even fewer still tow further than the range of an EV. Almost no pick up truck owners actually take their trucks offroad. You know what else are specialty performance vehicles? Raptors and TRX's, you know what virtually no one does with them? Uses them as work trucks or off roads them.

So no, this is not the truck to load your lumber in the back of and haul your mini ex to the construction site but no one is really doing that with their Tremors, or Raptors or anything like that either.

But this is better at things on road and just as good or better off road than all those trucks, so yes, this truck does "truck stuff" better than all of those trucks for what 90%+ of truck owners do.
Old 10-22-2022, 08:55 AM
Teching In

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm late to the party, but I don't think the 392 is all that great, 485 h.p stock, and the 6 speed ones really only run door to door with a 6 speed fbody that's only 310 h.p, obviously the 8 speed auto is way better than the 4l60, but both being stick cars, it's a drivers race.
Old 10-22-2022, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Clearly you did forget, considering ground clearance was the very first item you listed. I'll give you that they don't have as much articulation, but they seem to do plenty fine with the independently controlled wheels.

That doesn't look even remotely fun to me, I actively avoided that stuff even when I had my side by side. To each their own.

I hate to break it to you, but the overwhelming majority of pickup trucks arent doing anything but commuting and the trucks that are being bought to do work aren't at this price point. They're XL/WT trim fleet trucks. Very few people tow, even fewer still tow further than the range of an EV. Almost no pick up truck owners actually take their trucks offroad.
Preaching to the choir, probably ~80% of pick up truck purchases these days are defacto Cowboy Cadillac's, not working trucks. Bet 95% percent haven't been driven on a dirt road never mind actually off road. Hauling pine needles once as year being as close to work as they'll get.

Have an acquitance, that has a big diesel truck for work travel, averages 70,000 miles nearly all interstate. Typically leaves his company vehicle (mid size SUV) at home and drives his big diesel truck. Maintaining image and what other people think being most important factors...then he bitches because $$$ is tight....it's hilarious 😂 😃 😄
Old 10-23-2022, 10:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

I hate to break it to you, but the overwhelming majority of pickup trucks arent doing anything but commuting and the trucks that are being bought to do work aren't at this price point. They're XL/WT trim fleet trucks. Very few people tow, even fewer still tow further than the range of an EV. Almost no pick up truck owners actually take their trucks offroad. You know what else are specialty performance vehicles? Raptors and TRX's, you know what virtually no one does with them? Uses them as work trucks or off roads them.

So no, this is not the truck to load your lumber in the back of and haul your mini ex to the construction site but no one is really doing that with their Tremors, or Raptors or anything like that either.

But this is better at things on road and just as good or better off road than all those trucks, so yes, this truck does "truck stuff" better than all of those trucks for what 90%+ of truck owners do.
ground clearance also includes approach, departure and breakover angles moron.

Have fun with you toy. I think they're cool. Just not what you're trying to make them out to be. They're great cars but shitty trucks if you need a real truck to do real truck stuff. Realistically they won't even do the work trucks from the 60s could do.
Old 10-23-2022, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

It's god awful in a side by side, you get mud all over you, you spend more time winching than driving, and the cleanup is impossible. On a 4 wheeler or an enclosed vehicle, more fun. Side by sides are great for trail climbing.

Originally Posted by spikestang
I'm late to the party, but I don't think the 392 is all that great, 485 h.p stock, and the 6 speed ones really only run door to door with a 6 speed fbody that's only 310 h.p, obviously the 8 speed auto is way better than the 4l60, but both being stick cars, it's a drivers race.
It's not the 392 you have a problem with, it's the car it's attached to. 1Klbs is a lot to overcome. I enjoyed the S550 Mustang, but I hate that 5.0L engine. It's a slug under 4K RPM, which makes it useless for daily driving.
Old 10-25-2022, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

I like the Rivians in theory.

But ill keep my tacoma.
Old 10-27-2022, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Some of my posts aren't showing up anyone else having that problem?
Old 10-28-2022, 12:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

stock for stock? Ah no.. I drove an IE Challenger 6 speed down the track and my first pass would have nearly been a record time for a stock Fbody. I ran 13.1 @ 108mph in my 2001 Z28 bone stock (I’m no Evan Smith) and ran 12.8 @ 112mph in the Challenger. The Challenger had a bit more in it even as I made a number of mistakes (tapped limiter, spun a bit on the launch). I don’t think they are a drivers race at all.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
stock for stock? Ah no.. I drove an IE Challenger 6 speed down the track and my first pass would have nearly been a record time for a stock Fbody. I ran 13.1 @ 108mph in my 2001 Z28 bone stock (I’m no Evan Smith) and ran 12.8 @ 112mph in the Challenger. The Challenger had a bit more in it even as I made a number of mistakes (tapped limiter, spun a bit on the launch). I don’t think they are a drivers race at all.
I think we all have beat cars that are faster, if you don't think a bad driver can cost you 3 tenths, I have a few stories that would change your mind.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
I havent read every post of this thread, or you ever posted in general. But ive never seen a vid of your car posted.
I know this is old news by know but I’ve been on this site since I think 2013 and I’ve seen about 5-10 vids of Doug’s car. They’ve been posted a lot, and not always by him.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nick.H
I know this is old news by know but I’ve been on this site since I think 2013 and I’ve seen about 5-10 vids of Doug’s car. They’ve been posted a lot, and not always by him.

If I was going to make claims of "my car will do _______" I would evidence of my car doing ________ at the ready. Personally.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I think we all have beat cars that are faster, if you don't think a bad driver can cost you 3 tenths, I have a few stories that would change your mind.
in that context nearly anything could be a drivers race. In the example I gave I was putting my best time in the Camaro up against a very subpar run in the Challenger in less than perfect conditions.
Old 11-09-2022, 09:16 AM
Banned

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hio sure knows how to ruffle feathers on this site. Damn.
The following users liked this post:
S8ER95Z (11-14-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Since we are pot stirring and I'm feeling all nostalgic...

I beat a Procharged 98 Cobra with my Stock 99 SS, both manuals. Great guy, I honestly thought I would lose, but went 2/2 with him. I'm not saying his setup was optimized, but his opinion of my catfish was vastly different after this Mexico event.

Anyway, I miss the glory days in the late 90's / early 2000's when it was fun to race 12 - 13 second cars.

Inb4 cam nly bolt-ins for 10's!
The following 2 users liked this post by NW-99SS:
AnnivSS (11-09-2022), S8ER95Z (11-11-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NW-99SS

I beat a Procharged 98 Cobra with my Stock 99 SS, both manuals. Great guy, I honestly thought I would lose, but went 2/2 with him. I'm not saying his setup was optimized, but his opinion of my catfish was vastly different after this Mexico event.

Anyway, I miss the glory days in the late 90's / early 2000's when it was fun to race 12 - 13 second cars.

All of my car friends have either gotten out of the game or are running 8's. Lol. I dont have the pocket book to keep up anymore. Im just going to have fun with the vette until I do.
The following users liked this post:
NW-99SS (11-10-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 11:45 PM
Banned

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NW-99SS

Not surprising. I once beat a stock 03 Cobra by a couple lengths, in a cat back only LS1 catfish. The guy was PISSED, and tried to pretend like it didn't even happen. Typical Mustang owners.

Quick Reply: Epic SRK B/S thread of 2019