Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-12-2006, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2.73 Vette
No I disagree 100%...290 is a low dyno for an mn6 F body. 300 is about normal. While 295 is normal for the vette..

Ive raced stock Evo's when my vette was stock on the freeway doing 70 mph rolls.. Not even comparable. they were raped like a 17 year old blonde in an Alabama penitentuary....Thats the bottom line.

The Evo is just as fast as the LS1 in the 1/4 mile ET wise.. But look at the trapp speeds..99-103 for the EVO.....104-108 for the LS1 F body...Yea I know there have been some stock Evo's that ran faster than 103 ( especially the new EVO 8) but there have been Fbodys faster than 108 as well..

You can be driving at a 20 or 30 or 60 or 80..what ever mph you want in the LS1 and when you go WOT it will pull like a car that can trapp 108 mph is suppossed to pull. Pretty hard. You see the power of the LS1 is very balanced all through out the 1/4 mile. There's never a point were the car is really fast and then starts slowing down or the car is really slow and then starts speeding up.

It is fast from the beginning of the1/4 mile till the end. So you can push the pedal down at any time and any mph and your head will be pushed back into the seat. EVEN AT 70 MPH BONE STOCK!!!!!!

The EVO will not pull like a car that trapps 103 mph at all times. The reason that the Evo can even hit 103 mph is because of it's impressive 60 ft AWD launch..Evo's have hit 0-60 mph in the 4.4 range time and time again in various magazines.

But it's power is not balanced like the LS1 wich pulls fast in all aspects of the 1/4 mile. The EVO pulls HARD till 60 mph and then falls on it's face in a HUGE way. But since it got to 60 mph a good 1/2 second quicker than the Fbody it can now pretty much coast along with only 230 rwhp motivating it and still trapp 103 mph.

But if you eliminate the awd launch and push the pedal down at 20 or 30 or 60 or 70 mph...The EVO will not acellerate like a car that trapps 103 mph. It will acellerate JUST LIKE ANY OTHER 230 RWHP CAR THAT WEIGHS 3300 POUNDS...SLOW TO AN LS1..ABOUT THE SAME AS A 350Z ( WICH ARE KNOWN TO PULL EVO'S ON ROLL RACES 1/2 THE TIME STOCK FOR STOCK) You need that AWD launch to sling shot you to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds. Without the launch your car will acellerate just like a 14 second 350Z if you go wot at 20 or 40 or 70 mph. This is why many LS1 owners ( including my self) dont respect the EVO or STI in stock form.

WHATS SO GREAT ABOUT A LOW 13 SECOND STRIP CAR THAT WILL ACELERATE LIKE A LOW 14 SECOND CAR WHEN YOUR ON THE STREET AND PUNCH IT FROM A ROLL....

ISNT A LS1 LOW 13 SECOND STRIP CAR THAT ACTS LIKE A LOW 13 SECOND CAR WHEN YOU PUNCH IT FROM A ROLL BETTER?????

HERES SOME NUMBERS TO PROVE MY POINT FROM MOTOR TREND DEC 2005

2005 GTO VRS 2006 EVO IX
0-30 1.8 1.5
0-20 2.6 2.3
0-50 3.7 3.3
0-60 4.7 4.5
0-70 6.2 6.1
0-80 7.8 7.8
0-90 9.6 10.0
0-100 11.7 12.4
PASSING 45-65 2.4 2.5
1/4 MILE 13.3 AT 105.9 13.3 AT 103.4

NOW IF YOU LOOK AT THESE NUMBERS YOU CAN SEE THAT THE evo IS CLEARLY THE FASTER TILL 80 MPH WERE THEY BOTH REACH 80 MPH IN 7.8 SECONDS.

After 80 mph the GTO's superior power takes over and from only 80-100 mph the gto gets to the century mark 7 tenths faster...7 tenths. that a solid 5-7 lengths on a 80-100 mph roll race stock for stock. This is why many of us dont respect the EVO.

But what is even more interesting is the passing of 45-65 times. If you look at the charts above you can CLEARLY see that the STI got to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds. A solid 2 tenths faster than the GTO..

The Evo also beat the GTO to 70 mph by 1 tenth.. 6.1 vrs 6.2 for the GTO. So the EVO is clearly faster than the GTO till 80 mph right were they become equal reaching 80 mph in 7.8 seconds and then the GTO takes over right..

wrong

If the STI was really faster from 40 - 70 mph like the above chart indicates then why did the GTO only take 2.4 seconds to get from 45-65 mph in the passing test vrs the STI's 2.5 seconds to get from 45-65 mph in the passing test..

SIMPLE

When they did the 45-65 passing test they did it going from a roll of 45 mph and then going WOT from 45 mph and timing how long it took to reack 65 mph. There was no 60 fts or launching in this passing test. Only a roll start timed EVENT..

And it CLEARLY shows that if a stock GTO and stock EVO were to start a roll race from 45 mph the GTO would put a car on the EVO before they even hit 65 mph..And the result of a mass murder for the EVO would be the same way it always is when a stock LS1 races a stock EVO..

only this time we have actual numbers from Motor Trend to show how it really happens.

GTO's are equal with Fbodys and C5's in performance. All 3 of these cars are within 1-2 tenths of each other and the better driver/factory feakest car will win the race...

for what it's worth though....103 mph for the EVO in this comparison is a pretty good time..105.9 for the GTO is the slowest 2005 GTO time Ive ever seen...

So the numbers could have EASILY even been worse for the EVO.
Thank you, finally someone with some common sense that doesn't cream their pants over a 4 banger family sedan with a huge *** airplane wing on the trunk. Thats pretty much what I've been saying all along, Evos and STi's aren't anything special at all without a hard AWD launch, they will get walked all over by an LS1 from a roll. Yet people think they are the best thing ever because they can take off fast from a dig. Its like a sprinter that runs out of breath after the first 10 feet. And for the record, AWD cars lose a lot more than 16% through the drivetrain. Everyone knows that the Evo is underrated at the crank, how else could it hang with the STi which has 25HP more and a 6-speed??

You are a ******* idiot... "Nuff' said"

******* newb
You aren't too bright are you. All you can do it take what I said, twist it around repeat it back to me, and then call me a "fawking idiot".

The only "newb" here is you clueless, Mr "VW street racer"
Old 03-12-2006, 03:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wesman...Are you from CA? If so Id be willing to show you how slow Evo's are from a roll you pick the speed. They are NOT slow from a roll you just havrnt ran itno the right one trust me on that. I will get video up soon of my Evo vs my Z06 from a roll. Im sure you'll think differently once you see.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend/neighbor just opened a Dyno shop here in Provo UT.. they have a DynaPack system

they had a few evo's come in yesterday, a built evo VIII, the guy claimed to have spent 45k on the engine..and said on a dnynojet he made 500awhp(what a moron) so we just smiled and said "ok".. he put down 347awhp.. and was quite pissed at the #'s and claimed the machine was broke hahahahaha.. right..

an Evo VI was also there.. he put down 250awhp, he had a few bolt ons..

MY friend(owner of the shop) has a 05 STi.. front mount IC, larger turbo, injectors, 3" exhaust system.. he put down 322awhp..

My car.. in its all stock trim 98 trim.. 298rwhp

just thought i would share.. i dont mean to add fuel to the fire..
Old 03-12-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by santiago
its time for some headers nitrous and a cam and you will **** all over that evo next time.
like I said before........
Old 03-12-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Wesman...Are you from CA? If so Id be willing to show you how slow Evo's are from a roll you pick the speed. They are NOT slow from a roll you just havrnt ran itno the right one trust me on that. I will get video up soon of my Evo vs my Z06 from a roll. Im sure you'll think differently once you see.
as soon as your wife puts all the bolt ons on her z06 then a descent size cam she will leave you so hard from a roll you wont know what happend.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Teching In

as soon as your wife puts all the bolt ons on her z06 then a descent size cam she will leave you so hard from a roll you wont know what happend.
You seem pretty confident that the ZO6 would beat the EVO. You don't even know what's done to the EVO but yet you come to that conclusion. That's what ticks me off sometimes about people. There's always someone else faster and it's not always who you expect.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope sorry, not from CA. I'm from the other side of the country.

When you refer to "slow from a roll", its all relative. Basically, for the crankshaft Horsepower output of your car, its slow from a roll. You're losing about 25% of your engine power through the drivetrain. So no matter what other vehicles you race of similar power, you are theoretically going to lose due to the AWD parasitic loss.

You can talk about mods all day, but the bottom line is that your car will always be slower than a RWD vehicle with the same crank Horsepower. So even of you were to boost your Evo by 100HP over stock (thats a lot), it would still get walked by a stock Z06.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Nope sorry, not from CA. I'm from the other side of the country.

When you refer to "slow from a roll", its all relative. Basically, for the crankshaft Horsepower output of your car, its slow from a roll. You're losing about 25% of your engine power through the drivetrain. So no matter what other vehicles you race of similar power, you are theoretically going to lose due to the AWD parasitic loss.

You can talk about mods all day, but the bottom line is that your car will always be slower than a RWD vehicle with the same crank Horsepower. So even of you were to boost your Evo by 100HP over stock (thats a lot), it would still get walked by a stock Z06.
Well 100hp over stock is not alot or hard to do, about $1500-$2K at most. Also with that amount of power no ZO6, besides a C6, would not "walk" an Evo. Drivetrain loss on our cars is about 18%, not 25%, and have you ever heard of gearing?
Old 03-13-2006, 02:34 AM
TECH Regular

Well my Evo as mentioned has about $2500 in mods, not including flywheel and clutch, im not saying it can beat our Z06, it doesnt but its a much better race than people expect. If we take off from a 1st or 2nd gear roll, the Vette wont pull away until I shift to 5th in the Evo which is 120mph, not bad if you consider the amount of mods and also the Vette has a full exhaust(no mufflers) and zip tie mod. Of course the Z06 would kill it if it had full bolt ons and cam, then again all I have to do is add a GT35 and the Z06 is done. Lemme add this..I know you have seen the vids of the AMS Evo (I hate to bring it up but screw it) You've seen for yourself him spanking cars that make equal hp if not more from a roll, so I dont see where you come up with your theory.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:54 AM
On The Tree

Man thats freakin gay.. Just admit that your wifes car is faster.

Right now with the zip tie mod and no mufflers your Z06 should be trapping 117 mph or more..

Whats your EVO trapping????

I know stock it was 100-103 mph right????? What you trappin now..maybe 110...

Now throw on bolt ons and a cam on the Z06 and it will be trapping mid 120's...You see cammed z06's trapping 120's all over the place. (some of them are 116-117 bone stock) so it's not hard to do...

You think it's really that easy to make the EVO trap 125 mph and be comparable in a roll race to a bolt on cammed z06???? Your dreaming.

If your EVO can really be kneck and kneck with your Z06 up to 120 mph then your EVO should be trapping around 117 mph in the 1/4 mile. meaning that with an EVO trapping 117 mph in the 1/4 mile you should be able to show us some high 10 second slips. Or ATLEASTE low 11's.

The guy who posted above ran a 12.3 at only 108 mph so your car must be a monster to hang with your Z06 like that till 120 and be trapping 117 mph in the 1/4.....

From a dead stop I can beleave that you can hang till 120 mph in your EVO. But from a roll i just find that really hard to beleave.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
So even of you were to boost your Evo by 100HP over stock (thats a lot), it would still get walked by a stock Z06.
Oooo. Can I play? What if I'm making 400HP over stock? Do I still get walked by your magic Z06?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Hey Quick ZO6, do you have cams in your Evo? If so it could easily be trapping 115-118 in the 1/4. Cams wake these cars up in the higher RPM range more than any other mod besides a bigger turbo.

My 12.3@108 was due to several factors. First is that I drive an '03 which has a smaller hotside on the turbo which is about 10hp less than an '05. Then you have to factor in minimal mods, without cams a 108-110 is average for an '03 Evo. Also my car is heavy, loaded with sunroof would put me about 3500lbs with me in it.

My 1/8 mile time was a 7.8@87mph so you can see my lack of top end.

I knew my cars limitations at the time. Most cars would rape me in a roll, however this year I added cams, intercooler, piping, and weight reduction. I Should be running some high 11's and will be a completely different animal from a roll. Keep in mind that my horsepower last year was only about 290-300whp and should be around 330-340 now with most of that being up top.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by diambo4life
You seem pretty confident that the ZO6 would beat the EVO. You don't even know what's done to the EVO but yet you come to that conclusion. That's what ticks me off sometimes about people. There's always someone else faster and it's not always who you expect.
man the zo6 is almost basically stock. full bolt ons and cam and quick z06's evo is done for a while at least for maybe another 3500 in mods.

I donnt care whats done to the evo I know that zo6 has what.....a zip tie mod, which is only a modified stock airbox.

you dont even know whats done to the z06 haha
Old 03-13-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by XakEp
Oooo. Can I play? What if I'm making 400HP over stock? Do I still get walked by your magic Z06?
first there's a guy with a twinturbo 996 porsch who posts about how fast his car is and has zero posts then there's thi guy who posts about how fast his is with zero posts......
Old 03-13-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Well my Evo as mentioned has about $2500 in mods, not including flywheel and clutch, im not saying it can beat our Z06, it doesnt but its a much better race than people expect. If we take off from a 1st or 2nd gear roll, the Vette wont pull away until I shift to 5th in the Evo which is 120mph, not bad if you consider the amount of mods and also the Vette has a full exhaust(no mufflers) and zip tie mod. Of course the Z06 would kill it if it had full bolt ons and cam, then again all I have to do is add a GT35 and the Z06 is done. Lemme add this..I know you have seen the vids of the AMS Evo (I hate to bring it up but screw it) You've seen for yourself him spanking cars that make equal hp if not more from a roll, so I dont see where you come up with your theory.
there he goes again with the goddamn AMS evo, ya its fast but what is the likely hood I see that just cruisin on the street or freeway?

so your just gonna go get that gt35 turbo and go from 250 or so awhp to 900awhp....what was I thinkin course your gonna own the z06

you just add the gt35turbo, and thats it. and have your wife put on a 150 shot and then well see what happens.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Banned

first there's a guy with a twinturbo 996 porsch who posts about how fast his car is and has zero posts then there's thi guy who posts about how fast his is with zero posts......
Seeing as posts here in the street racing section dont count towards your totals and the only interesting info on this site is in this section, that isnt hard to imagine.

I posted images of my setup a while back - feel free to search for them.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

it seems you overlook all the interesting info in the single digit club section and dyno sections look around the site then you will see why you get these responses. what can you learn in a kills section? Your utter stupidity perhaps.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Teching In

***why even bother?**

Last edited by diambo4life; 03-13-2006 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dcmercury2
it seems you overlook all the interesting info in the single digit club section and dyno sections look around the site then you will see why you get these responses. what can you learn in a kills section? Your utter stupidity perhaps.
Anything V8 related I need to know I'll learn from moparts, seeing as I have a 1973 Duster to go with my import.

But feel free to post info thats completely irrelevant to my situation.

Quick Reply: Just raced a fast EVO8