Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Whats the deal with corvette owners?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Whats the deal with corvette owners?

Went to marshall this weekend for a big car show and had some fun.

One of my friends dad just bought a 2006 corvette automatic. The damn guy did nothing but tell me how fast it was and that he would wipe the floor with me and just about anything else on the road. I couldnt stand it. I really wanted to race him but their were so many cops around and I can not afford to be caught street racing....to him it wouldnt matter, he makes like 300k a year and has his head up his ***.
We were going to put 200 dollars on the race and I almost did it...but I just had one of those feelings that I would get caught.
He even agreed to go from a 40 mph roll...I would have been in second gear in the heart of my powerband...and I can get traction from a second gear roll. I am pretty sure I would have beat him pretty good being what my car puts down and it is only about 100 pounds heavier than his.

People like him really **** me off. He had no knowledge of what my car had or anything...he just figured that I had a lowly camaro and I had no chance.

Anyone else run into this kind of thing?
Old 07-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like when i went to the track a couple of days ago. Two older men in there 60's kept talking about there newly purchased stock 05GT's they bought as a pair from the same dealership, how there stock 4.6s pulled so hard and how they will beat any F-body. Everytime an LS1 staged they'd make a remark like "Those 5.7's have nothing on our 4.6's"....I got tired of it and kindly asked them to accept a challenge of my 2.0 liter laser, needless to say they declined with smilies on there faces. I hope you get a shot a racing there Vette and stomping a hole in it....sometimes ignorance gets the best of me as well...
Old 07-02-2006, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
Went to marshall this weekend for a big car show and had some fun.

One of my friends dad just bought a 2006 corvette automatic. The damn guy did nothing but tell me how fast it was and that he would wipe the floor with me and just about anything else on the road. I couldnt stand it. I really wanted to race him but their were so many cops around and I can not afford to be caught street racing....to him it wouldnt matter, he makes like 300k a year and has his head up his ***.
We were going to put 200 dollars on the race and I almost did it...but I just had one of those feelings that I would get caught.
He even agreed to go from a 40 mph roll...I would have been in second gear in the heart of my powerband...and I can get traction from a second gear roll. I am pretty sure I would have beat him pretty good being what my car puts down and it is only about 100 pounds heavier than his.

People like him really **** me off. He had no knowledge of what my car had or anything...he just figured that I had a lowly camaro and I had no chance.

Anyone else run into this kind of thing?

Corvette owners!! You would not be stereotyping now would you, because you know a ******** that drives a vette. That's like me saying all Camaro owners are punks because I say a young guy driving one the other day!

Now reality is, with your mods you would kick his butt. The auto(unmodded) is very slow for a 400 hp car. It only has a 2:73 rear end. If we were stereotyping here, we would assume then all vettes are slow. If he had a C6 Z51 6spd with the 3:42's then that's a different story. Send him my way and I will tear him a new one and bring him back to reality!!
Old 07-02-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

You shoulda beat his *** and took his money.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by firebirdvert305
Sounds like when i went to the track a couple of days ago. Two older men in there 60's kept talking about there newly purchased stock 05GT's they bought as a pair from the same dealership, how there stock 4.6s pulled so hard and how they will beat any F-body. Everytime an LS1 staged they'd make a remark like "Those 5.7's have nothing on our 4.6's"....I got tired of it and kindly asked them to accept a challenge of my 2.0 liter laser, needless to say they declined with smilies on there faces. I hope you get a shot a racing there Vette and stomping a hole in it....sometimes ignorance gets the best of me as well...
I'm definitely feeling that one... I just came back from the myrtle beach area on my honeymoon, and I **** you not, every time I went out to eat or something I had to count on 2 hands how many vettes I saw. At first I was thinking damn this is gonna be a fun week for racing, but I didn't get 1 race down there, after being directly lined up with different ones all week long. I'm thinking that maybe they're really strict on racing down there but still, to this day I've only gotten one to race me, ever.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didnt think that any motor or transmission combo offered in that car (stock of coarse)would be able to stay with me...except for the z06 obviously.

Dont I have a substantial power advantage considering my numbers on a mustang dyno? I have like a ~75 horsepower or so advantage

My car weighs 3290...so The weight isnt going to hurt me. I was getting worried by how cocky he was...but I just didnt think it was possible for him to beat me if he had anything less than a power adder or internal mods.

The race might happen some time soon..but not with the car show going on and all.

Every corvette owner I have came across was a man in his 40's or 50's...with the same attitude...but I know what you are saying.
Maybe the dozen or so that I have came across with bone stock cars ready to take on the world are just exceptions. Or Maybe it is just anyone that doesnt have a solid knowledge of automobiles.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by M3Corvette
Corvette owners!! You would not be stereotyping now would you, because you know a ******** that drives a vette. That's like me saying all Camaro owners are punks because I say a young guy driving one the other day!

Now reality is, with your mods you would kick his butt. The auto(unmodded) is very slow for a 400 hp car. It only has a 2:73 rear end. If we were stereotyping here, we would assume then all vettes are slow. If he had a C6 Z51 6spd with the 3:42's then that's a different story. Send him my way and I will tear him a new one and bring him back to reality!!
Actually, the 2006 auto is a 6spd and it has a 2.56 rear, which you probably know as your sig says you own one, but just slipped in the base 2005 rear diff by mistake. Gearing isn't just the diff though, as the 6 spd auto actually has an overall lower 1st gear ratio than the stick car (Z51 or not).

As for a slow car...the 1/4 mile times are roughly the same (within 2 tenths) of the best stick times posted on Corvette Forum, so it's not that big of a deal b/w the stick and auto. Somebody posted a 12.4 slip in a bone stock C6 A6, and best stick time posted is 12.2 (under similar track conditions), both on runcraps, which is pretty f'ing quick for a stock car on street tires.

A 420rwhp F-body should be able to take it (with the mods listed) no problem. The stock A6 cars dyno (not on Mustang) at about 335...Mustang dyno closer to 320, so you probably have 100rwhp on him.

For some people that just bought these cars, it's the fastest thing they have ever driven, and that makes them think it's the fastest thing on the road. Plus, a lot of the mags have patted the C6 on the back so much that these guys just get caught up in the hype. It's OK for him to think his car is fast...it is. He just needs to learn that there are faster cars out there, and they don't have to be exotics to walk the C6.

Take his money and make him feel like a loser.

Last edited by BigRon77; 07-02-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Launching!

I don't care what they drive there is a ******* in every bunch
Old 07-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Teching In

I didnt think that any motor or transmission combo offered in that car (stock of coarse)would be able to stay with me...except for the z06 obviously.

Dont I have a substantial power advantage considering my numbers on a mustang dyno? I have like a ~75 horsepower or so advantage

My car weighs 3290...so The weight isnt going to hurt me. I was getting worried by how cocky he was...but I just didnt think it was possible for him to beat me if he had anything less than a power adder or internal mods.

The race might happen some time soon..but not with the car show going on and all.

Every corvette owner I have came across was a man in his 40's or 50's...with the same attitude...but I know what you are saying.
Maybe the dozen or so that I have came across with bone stock cars ready to take on the world are just exceptions. Or Maybe it is just anyone that doesnt have a solid knowledge of automobiles.
I have been driving new vettes sine I was 30 (about ten years now) and I'm always up for a good run.

Great weight on your car. I have my new C6 Z down to about 3060 now with 520 RWHP. The problem is, most people in my area won't run. It sucks!! Headers, tune and and air intake on the guys vette would put him around 385 to 400 RWHP. That would put him at an 11.9 to 12.0 car at 119 to 122 in the 1/4 mile. That's what my 2005 C6 was running with 400RWhp. Don't forget vids if you run him. Crap talkers like that need a wakeup call.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

There are alot of older vette guys like that around here too. A couple years back I was just going down the highway and I pass one because he was only doing 55. At the next light he takes off like John force and his wife is waving like they just blew me away. I dropped it down and gear and pulled up beside and gave her a wave and then blew by them. The look on her face was priceless.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigRon77
Actually, the 2006 auto is a 6spd and it has a 2.56 rear, which you should know as your sig says you own one. Gearing isn't just the diff though, as the 6 spd auto actually has an overall lower 1st gear ratio than the stick car (Z51 or not).

As for a slow car...the 1/4 mile times are roughly the same (within 2 tenths) of the best stick times posted on Corvette Forum, so it's not that big of a deal b/w the stick and auto. Somebody posted a 12.4 slip in a bone stock C6 A6, and best stick time posted is 12.2 (under similar track conditions), both on runcraps, which is pretty f'ing quick for a stock car on street tires.

A 420rwhp F-body should be able to take it (with the mods listed) no problem. The stock A6 cars dyno (not on Mustang) at about 335...Mustang dyno closer to 320, so you probably have 100rwhp on him.

For some people that just bought these cars, it's the fastest thing they have ever driven, and that makes them think it's the fastest thing on the road. Plus, a lot of the mags have patted the C6 on the back so much that these guys just get caught up in the hype. It's OK for him to think his car is fast...it is. He just needs to learn that there are faster cars out there, and they don't have to be exotics to walk the C6.

Take his money and make him feel like a loser.
BigRon, right you are, 2.56 it is. It probally was the 2005 auto with the 2.73, but I'm not sure. The 2006 auto 6spd is a much better tranny, but the TM really hurts that car. I bought one with the paddle shifters, and had it lightly modded which improved the car greatly, but I only use it as a back-up car to the C6 Z. I let my wife drive it to keep her out of my Z! I find the car alot slower than my C6 Z51(stock)was. What kind of #'s are you putting down with the mods on your C6?
Old 07-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by M3Corvette
BigRon, right you are, 2.56 it is. It probally was the 2005 auto with the 2.73, but I'm not sure. The 2006 auto 6spd is a much better tranny, but the TM really hurts that car. I bought one with the paddle shifters, and had it lightly modded which improved the car greatly, but I only use it as a back-up car to the C6 Z. I let my wife drive it to keep her out of my Z! I find the car alot slower than my C6 Z51(stock)was. What kind of #'s are you putting down with the mods on your C6?
Yes sir. The base rear in the 2005 model A4 was a 2.73, but you get a 3.15 with the Z51 (or as a separate option) on the '05 auto.

If I wasn't so damn big and going 6 left knee surgeries, it would be a Z06 for me too. The torque curve on those cars is crazy, and a little free breathing mods and a small cam, and you're at 530-540rwhp...

All I have in the car now is a small blower cam with headers (410rwhp), which I've been sporting around for 6 months trying to decide which blower to put on, and finally came back to N/A, so all the mods listed are sitting at 21st Century right now waiting for me to drop the car 1st week of August. A 6 spd with the same setup I'm using (minus about 15rwhp of goodies I'm getting) put down 493rwhp, so I'm hoping it will push 460rwhp+ with the stall locked up...which robs about 20 on the dyno, plus the additional parasitic loss of the auto tranny.

Next year, I'll buy the 403 short block with all forged internals and slap a Maggie on it if it starts to feel slow .

Old 07-03-2006, 06:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

27 years old...and i'd take your money. Theres always someone badder lurking the streets man. Just like theres always ******** out and about. Yes, without a doubt most corvette owners are some goofy mother *******....with macthing socks and all....mostly over 50 years old. But you know what,....theres alot of mustang and viper owners that do the same thing. Myabe theres more in vettes but,...thats only because there are more vettes out there.... I do know a couple of over 50 vette guys,...that road race....and would drive circles around most people here.... So..., some people buy these cars to say they have a vette,...other buy them do drive them.

You should have raced the dude and took his money but.....food for thought. When people walk up to me at spots, and ask if I wanna race...and I say yes....then they ask if it's stock...I say "yes,...it is. How much did you wanna race for?"

Assumption is a mother ******.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
You should have raced the dude and took his money but.....food for thought. When people walk up to me at spots, and ask if I wanna race...and I say yes....then they ask if it's stock...I say "yes,...it is. How much did you wanna race for?"

Assumption is a mother ******.
So is a liar.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I took out a C6 in my SRT4, you would have walked him.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

I am 26 with a vette here. I talk my share of crap when out and about, but I am not scared to lose either. There is always someone quicker.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Banned

the aerodynamics will hurt you
Old 07-03-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

He even agreed to go from a 40 mph roll...I would have been in second gear in the heart of my powerband...
i wouldnt say thats the heart of the powerband....heart would be more like 55mph.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
So is a liar.

Well...I guess. He asked a stupid question....I gave him a stupid answer. If I'm asked again....i'll give the same reply.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes but 55 would suck because I would need an immediate shift. 40 mph in second is the perfect spot to race from. My 2 to 3 shift isnt the best.

but yes..at 55 it would make more power...but would be useless.

I dont think aerodynamics would hurt me that much in a quick sprint from 40 to 100.