Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stock LS1 kills on 4.6L 99+ mustangs!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 2000 SS. It has an K&N FIPK and a Ravin Exhaust.

I have yet to have a mustang even come close to beating me. Keep in mind that includes a brand new (at the time) 05 Saleen from a 70 MPH roll on.

I have also killed a CL500 AMG and an M car or 2. My buddies 03 350z doesnt have a prayer unless I spin badly off the line, and there is no chance from a 60 or 70 MPH roll. I would not be too awfully concerned about whether or not you will be able to many mustangs.

Honestly If I had the money that I used to buy my car back again I would go out and buy a used C5 for a few thousand more simply because I like the idea of a 2 seater and it is a little shorter, but you will never really hear much of a complaint from me about it.

Oh and from a 20 MPH roll? Thats kind of a bad place to run someone if you are in an F-body unless you can get it back into first. If they did a second gear roll on that may explain why they got beaten
Old 10-15-2006, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^I was in 2nd, I dont know what gear he was in, he jumpe me though, so I assume he was where he wanted to be.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Should be able to get an ls1 with under 50k miles for around $13,000, about $10,000 or less for one with about 100k miles from a private seller. Remember one of your older posts saying about how much money you had dumped into your car only to make it a low 14 sec car or something.
My first race at real street races was against a 99+ GT vert. Spun pretty bad till about 20mph and he got a nose, after catching my friend stood up and waved bye-bye as we went past and put at least 5+ cars on it by 90mph, and I had the t-tops off and in the trunk, so same weight and more drag for me. And yea I agree it is more of a girlie car, I see so many chicks in GTs, the men ususally get at least the Mach 1s.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

I agree Pick a ls1 up they feel like they will run forever at least mine does. I test drove a 98 cobra with 74,000 miles on it and it sounded great had good power and all that . Then I test drove an automatic 2.73 geard 98 z28 with 63,000 miles that thing could get up and go for being an auto. So I tell myself do I wanna pay the extra 4 grand for a slower cobra 5 speed or spend 8 grand on a z-28 auto that felt 3 times faster? I went with the camaro and To be honest I love this car its 10 times more than what I expected for a 8,000 doller car. I love to manual shift but for 8 grand I had to buy it.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

I'll have to agree you see alot of girls in mustangs, but i don't see alot in gts. Now vettes, most of them always have women driving. Do I think it is a chick car, of coarse not.

I bought my car knowing ls1s were faster but couldn't get past their looks(subjective). I'm just willing to spend the money necessary, lol.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Banned

i lean heavily towards ss or ta. the reasonm for the gt consideration is that i can buy those wholesale, as the ls1 i cannot.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanger88
I am a horridly indecisive person and the look of the 99+ GT lowered (not slammed) with Cobra R rims in black appeals to me. I keep seeing that the performance differences in reviews like this:

Overall, the 2000 Mustang GT is a lot of car for the money, as a fully loaded, 5-speed GT, with leather, stickers for only $23,900. The Mustang is comfortable, easy to drive, and with a kick *** stereo, gobs of power, and unmatched civility, it's a "10" on the fun scale. Although the Chevy and Pontiac give you 305 HP with their base V8, the acceleration diffeence is actually pretty small, especially in a rolling start. The GM cars are all around less refined, and it'll cost you a thousand more for the Camaro Z28, and a few thousand more in the Firebird Formula or Trans Am. So the Mustang is the value for the money winner in this comparison.

Someone please post up some LS1 kills (fair races) on 99+ GT's to keep me on track. LS1 FTW!!!

Another thing that has scared me a bit on the LS1 is how I annhialated a LS1 TA the other week from a 20mph roll in 2nd (he gunned it while 1.5-2 cars ahead and I still put 1 car on him by 60 (he was coming up fast, but WTF!? I dynoed 244whp )

Maybe this is the wrong place for this, but I did post a "kill" (we let off at 60 due to traffic, he woulda won later on, but still...LS1<244whp 5.0 ????!)

I've owned two LS1 powered F Bodies. The difference between an LS1 powered F Body and a 99+ Mustang GT is extremely significant. On the average you an LS1 will smoke a 99+ Mustang GT in the 1/4 mile by 3-4 car lengths. That's over 3-4 tenths of a sec.

That being said, I wouldn't judge all F Bodies by the one you beat to 60. These cars are incredibly hard to get outta the hole. Some suspension parts go a long way to treat that issue. I'm sure the one you raced might have caught up with you towards the top end. If he didn't maybe his car isn't running right, or he doesn't know how to drive. I've known people that smoked Z06's with cars that i've beaten. It's all in the driver. I'm sure if you go to the track regularly that you'll see Viper GTS's and Z06's running low 13's. The driver makes all the difference in the world.

The 99+ Mustang GT's are ok overall. I mean if you really like it that much get it. It will run a low 14 sec. pass, which is still ok by nowadays standards (They dyno around the same as your car, though they have a heavier chassis). It's all a matter of what you want. I don't think anyone here is gonna lose any sleep over you not buying an F Body. It just gives us another rival to continue racing.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Denom
I've owned two LS1 powered F Bodies. The difference between an LS1 powered F Body and a 99+ Mustang GT is extremely significant. On the average you an LS1 will smoke a 99+ Mustang GT in the 1/4 mile by 3-4 car lengths. That's over 3-4 tenths of a sec.

That being said, I wouldn't judge all F Bodies by the one you beat to 60. These cars are incredibly hard to get outta the hole. Some suspension parts go a long way to treat that issue. I'm sure the one you raced might have caught up with you towards the top end. If he didn't maybe his car isn't running right, or he doesn't know how to drive. I've known people that smoked Z06's with cars that i've beaten. It's all in the driver. I'm sure if you go to the track regularly that you'll see Viper GTS's and Z06's running low 13's. The driver makes all the difference in the world.

The 99+ Mustang GT's are ok overall. I mean if you really like it that much get it. It will run a low 14 sec. pass, which is still ok by nowadays standards (They dyno around the same as your car, though they have a heavier chassis). It's all a matter of what you want. I don't think anyone here is gonna lose any sleep over you not buying an F Body. It just gives us another rival to continue racing.
Lol, yeah, I think my car is weaksauce. I must upgrade! Yeah, this was from a 20mph punch though, so no spin. Also yeah, he was about to come flying by, but oculdnt b/c we had to stop b/c traffic. I was still stunned I would pull 3 cars (he started with me about 2 back) from 20-60 when I started in 2nd gear.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

If you want street kill stories, 99+ GTs ~vs~ LS1s, i have one for you... I have a 04 LS1 (obviously) GTO M6...about a month ago I pulled up next to a brand new 06-07 Mustang GT at a light...we looked at each other and it was just known that we were racing (plus his buddy in back of him in the Prelude was flashin him his brights tellin him to race me). We actually both took off normal, and when we got to about 5-10MPH he punched it so I did the same...by the time i shifted to 2nd, my front end was approx 3 feet in front of his, and by the time we had to slow down for the next intersection (approx 150-160 feet) my back bumper was at his front bumper. I also had a passenger and he was solo. Hope this helps:-)
Old 10-15-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can help out a lot with your questions. My friend had (recently sold for an Expedition)a 2003 GT that I've gotten a ton of driving and maintenance experience with. I also had a friendly rivalry with a guy I was stationed with in Jacksonville who owned a 2001 GT. Short story, the LS1 F-body will put some hurt on the 2V mod for mod. I've owned two 5.0s, so don't think I'm biased. PM me if you want details, so I don't post a book in your thread...
Old 10-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Banned

You beat a LS1 on the street with your 250 rwhp car, and now youre wondering if you still want one...?

Stang, you've been talking about this for quite some time now. I remember awhile back that you where saying your stang was messed up some, and that you where looking for a better, faster ride.

I think I also remember you telling me you had an LT1? Im debating on the LE1 package right now... We'll see what happens after college....

But anyways,
Whats your Stinger run at the track? Go get a benchmark and find out.
I would look for an LS1 with some aftermarket parts on it, since they ain't worth dick after you try to sell the car anyways.

4th Gen Fbodies aren't really worth alot... I can get a 80K LS1, 98-00 for around 6-8K at the dealers auctions ( My old mans a car dealer, he can get them for what the dealers get them for... dirt cheap... no flaming please! )
My buddy just sold his 99 T/a with 111K for $7,000.00 cash.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

LOL.....I just love the part " gobs of power " from the stock 4.6L....LOL They only dyno 225ish rwhp.....GOBS OF POWER Thats why they get wasted by acura CL type S 's ( V-6) The SOHC 4.6L is a complete waste of money and does not deserve to be called a performance car, hell even the new ones get wasted by LS1's and are beaten from time to time by the LT1's.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01MMMZ28
LOL.....I just love the part " gobs of power " from the stock 4.6L....LOL They only dyno 225ish rwhp.....GOBS OF POWER Thats why they get wasted by acura CL type S 's ( V-6) The SOHC 4.6L is a complete waste of money and does not deserve to be called a performance car, hell even the new ones get wasted by LS1's and are beaten from time to time by the LT1's.
The new 3v's are above and beyond of what the previous 2v's were. The 4v's are still my favorite modular motor by Ford. I would not get anything less than a 4v if I was buying a Mustang (99+ Cobra or 03+ Mach 1).
Old 10-15-2006, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

get the ls1, in stock form they are really respectable.

also, if u ever have a problem with any car on the street, just spend like 500 bucks and spray the ls1...

a spraying ls1 would be hard to beat..
Old 10-15-2006, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

btw, here's what i did to an 05GT with the same mods as me. of course auto vs my auto with 2.73's..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-racing-kill-stories/584592-slaughtered-05-gt-last-night.html
Old 10-15-2006, 10:01 PM
uno
On The Tree

I take intake/exhaust 5 speed 99-04 gt's by about 5 cars or more to 100 and i have the 2.73s lol LS1 if you want most power in stock form and boltons into the 12s. Mustang gt if you want boltons to run low 13's.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Banned

Awesome As to the 5.0, it ran 14.3@98.54 (compilation of best ET and best MPH, those are not on teh same pass) on a hot day with a bogging carb.
I still have no idea how I beat the 2 LS1s that I did.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Stanger88
Awesome As to the 5.0, it ran 14.3@98.54 (compilation of best ET and best MPH, those are not on teh same pass) on a hot day with a bogging carb.
I still have no idea how I beat the 2 LS1s that I did.

instead if just finding them on the street, just set up races with ls1's. i guarantee the driver's will have thier A game on then...
Old 10-15-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

I have no problem raping stock mustangs with my LT1 (before exhaust)
Old 10-15-2006, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

Wow...the last GT I raced was almost complete waste of gas, almost as in I always enjoy bitch slapping a Mustang

Quick Reply: Stock LS1 kills on 4.6L 99+ mustangs!!!