Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stock LS1 kills on 4.6L 99+ mustangs!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZFan88
I have no problem raping stock 94-04 mustang GTs with my LT1 (before exhaust)
Fixed....

Just messin' with you.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:16 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My LT1 was a mustang raper too, lol. I miss that thing
Old 10-15-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Stanger88, there is a VERY big difference....I had an 03' GT(see avatar), granted I agree with you it did look amazing(lowered with deep dish bullitts 17X9 and 17X10.5 w/ 315 rubber and a mach 1 chin spoiler), it was slow as ***** compared to an LS1. It was an '03 4.6 with the 5 speed loaded leather all the options....I had BBK longtubes, a shorty o/r Xpipe, a bassani quiet thunder catback, trickflow plenum, with a BBK 75mm tb, a K&N filter and BBk CAI, a diablo sport predator programmer, and motive 4.10s out back.....all this netted me a best of 8.98 in the 1/8(never ran at the 1/4) and thats stock LS1 territory. My next mod was gonna be some comp cams XE268 cams but before I dropped the money I decided to sell it and get another LS1....and talking from experience I raced a couple LS1's and only was able to barely pull on 1 the rest were all losses.....anyways my point being that if you put a 4.6 2V next to an LS1 mod for mod there is ABSOLUTLEY NO COMPARISON, with the same driver the LS1 will win everytime. It just takes to much money to run with the bigboys in the 4.6, especially when a stalled, stock internal LS1 can run 12's w/o even trying....sorry for the long post but GET AN LS1!!!
Old 10-15-2006, 10:56 PM
11 Second Club

A stock-ish ls1 vs. a stock-ish gt will typically be in the ls1's favor from anywhere to 2 to 5 or 6 cars depending upon transmission, and gearing (2.73's, 3.23's, 3.42's, etc).

Manual for Manual, an ls1 is very easy to smack down a gt with.. but if the driver in the ls1 is an absolutely idiot I suppose you could win.

This is from about 10-20 races with that year gt's

I would tend to lean towards finding an f-body that actually appeals to you visually.. whatever mods that might take and go that route.

I know alot of folks who like gt's who can't stand your average fbody, but can't help but to love say a SOM WS6 w/ black torque thrusts, or a red ss w/ black zr1's.. or whatever the case may be.

Later,
Josh
Old 10-15-2006, 11:56 PM
Banned

Okay, well, I posted up some pics and all my female friends like the SS or the TA WAY better than the Mustang. So I guess the poor thing has nothing going for it now, lol. LS1 FTW!!! Man, just trying to stay pumped until new-years! THANKS! (PS, I LOVE the look of the TA's and I bet I can find one in my price range which has been improved a tad by my dad's willingness to spot me a bit if I agree to work at camp for the summer (I would LOVE to get out of the town I am in and am more than happy, win/win!) I feel odd throwing my budget around here b/c my next car might COME FROM HERE, but I am working with around 13.5K + TTL at my disposal(although that is stretching it and I would like to spend a BIT less...). I bet I can get a "low mile (under 70K) 01-02 TA or SS M6 for that, what do you guys think? Am I dreaming or is it possible?
Old 10-15-2006, 11:59 PM
uno
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Stanger88
Okay, well, I posted up some pics and all my female friends like the SS or the TA WAY better than the Mustang. So I guess the poor thing has nothing going for it now, lol. LS1 FTW!!! Man, just trying to stay pumped until new-years! THANKS! (PS, I LOVE the look of the TA's and I bet I can find one in my price range which has been improved a tad by my dad's willingness to spot me a bit if I agree to work at camp for the summer (I would LOVE to get out of the town I am in and am more than happy, win/win!) I feel odd throwing my budget around here b/c my next car might COME FROM HERE, but I am working with around 13.5K + TTL at my disposal(although that is stretching it and I would like to spend a BIT less...). I bet I can get a "low mile (under 70K) 01-02 TA or SS M6 for that, what do you guys think? Am I dreaming or is it possible?
cool i got my 99 ttop z28 a4 with leather interior for 8k with 80k miles on it at a dealer. sticker price was 9k
Old 10-16-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just posted videos of my car running a 98 Cobra with bolt ons and gears, and an 04 Mach 1 with exhaust, CAI and a tune. Both cars ran good. In the end, buy whichever one you wont mind paying for. Its your money.

BTW, I picked up my car in November of last year, just over 70k on the clock and I got it for 9500 out the door. If you look hard enough, you can find a good deal.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

As for the average speed of 99 & up mustangs versus an ls1 I can only assume the ls1's would kill the Gt 99% of the time. The other 1% of mustang wins are probably due to bad driver, the ls1 running the gt in reverse or maybe the mustang had about 15 stickers on it ( worth 5 hp each ). Seriously I have a 95 ta with 3.73's, Full exhaust and a few other bolt ons. I raced an 03 gt and had 3 cars on him by 70 and was just walking away fast from him. I have raced at least 5 99 & up GT's and have not been beat by one. There are definately some fast ones out there but in order to run with a stock LS1 you will have to sink some serious money into a 99 & up GT.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Seriously, if someone was considering a GT vs. Fbod (LS)....they had to be ignoring performance........there really is no comparison. IT would take a charged GT to beat a stock LS (for the most part, looking at RWpower).

225 vs 300 RWHP.....granted, I like the way the stangs driver over the Fbods, but that is opinion just like the body style. But for performance...anyone that thinks a New edge GT can hang with an LS Fbod stock for stock...is just plain stupid.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ponygt65
Seriously, if someone was considering a GT vs. Fbod (LS)....they had to be ignoring performance........there really is no comparison. IT would take a charged GT to beat a stock LS (for the most part, looking at RWpower).

225 vs 300 RWHP.....granted, I like the way the stangs driver over the Fbods, but that is opinion just like the body style. But for performance...anyone that thinks a New edge GT can hang with an LS Fbod stock for stock...is just plain stupid.
Maybe not stock for stock, but for the most part, you can get decent times out of a mustang.

A good friend of mine has an '02 GT with intake, plenum, TB, intake, gears and exaust. On DR's he cut a 13.02 @ 105. Thats not bad for a NA 2V 4.6.

Will it hang with a LS1 with the same mods? No, but its still a decently quick car thats alot of fun to drive.

I guess it just all depends on what you want out of the car. Not trying to say they are the same level, but you can get good performance out of a mustang without slapping a blower on it.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car before heads/cam with some bolt-ons vs my buddies 00 GT with FULL bolt-ons. And YES, he CAN drive.

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/77f84...c73041f425.htm

Nuff said......
Old 10-16-2006, 12:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chadtx01
Maybe not stock for stock, but for the most part, you can get decent times out of a mustang.

A good friend of mine has an '02 GT with intake, plenum, TB, intake, gears and exaust. On DR's he cut a 13.02 @ 105. Thats not bad for a NA 2V 4.6.

Will it hang with a LS1 with the same mods? No, but its still a decently quick car thats alot of fun to drive.

I guess it just all depends on what you want out of the car. Not trying to say they are the same level, but you can get good performance out of a mustang without slapping a blower on it.
Oh I agree 100%. My comments were based on stock vs stock, and/or identical mods to both. I have seen quite a few Gts that are by no means slow.

BTW - the charged notation was looking at RWpower.....I guess I didn't word that right. Otherwise, it would take a 'FULL' bolt on GT....and maybe some 'head' work to see 300 RWHP. ET wise, it wouldn't take FI, as you mentioned.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh I agree 100%. My comments were based on stock vs stock, and/or identical mods to both. I have seen quite a few Gts that are by no means slow.

BTW - the charged notation was looking at RWpower.....I guess I didn't word that right. Otherwise, it would take a 'FULL' bolt on GT....and maybe some 'head' work to see 300 RWHP. ET wise, it wouldn't take FI, as you mentioned.
I agree man, the power numbers they put out arent that impressive, but I just had to throw that out there and give the ford guys a little backup.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
My car before heads/cam with some bolt-ons vs my buddies 00 GT with FULL bolt-ons. And YES, he CAN drive.

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/77f84...c73041f425.htm

Nuff said......
Holy crap, what bolt-ons did you have? Did he have LT's and the works!? (on a 4.6L the motor must actually be removed at least in part to put LT's on, what a bitch!)
Old 10-16-2006, 05:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Another thing that has scared me a bit on the LS1 is how I annhialated a LS1 TA the other week from a 20mph roll in 2nd (he gunned it while 1.5-2 cars ahead and I still put 1 car on him by 60 (he was coming up fast, but WTF!? I dynoed 244whp )

To go 20-60mph in a stock Fbody would take but a couple of seconds. No way in hell could you pull an equiverlent of 3 cars in that time

**** eve a fighter jet would struggle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2006, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Stanger88- I PMed you back. The 99+ 2v 4.6s aren't bad cars, but aren't really in the same league. If you are considering an automatic, I wouldn't even look at the GT...
Old 10-16-2006, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Just find both and test drive 'em. Find individual sellers, man. And if you decide on a 'stang at least be a man and get a Mach 1, or a Terminator if you can find one in your price range...
Old 10-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton

To go 20-60mph in a stock Fbody would take but a couple of seconds. No way in hell could you pull an equiverlent of 3 cars in that time

**** eve a fighter jet would struggle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

He had a 1.5-2 car lead. We were doign 20mph on a service road under an overpass. I heard his exhaust get about 2X louder as the light turned green in front of us. I nailed it. By 60 he was making a comeback (I had passed him) and his nose was at my door.

That is an accurate account of what happened. You judge whether we were racing or not. Maybe he was just going 30% because he felt spirited and I took it wrong and then he nailed it as I passed him, I found it odd that I pulled that much and then he came freight training by. But he DID get on it before I did, how much I do not know I guess.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:42 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

If you are not getting a Mach1 or Cobra....save your pride and get an LS1. Serriously.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Fixed....

Just messin' with you.
you knew what I meant

Quick Reply: Stock LS1 kills on 4.6L 99+ mustangs!!!