Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stock LS1 kills on 4.6L 99+ mustangs!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 07:58 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanger88
i was planning a cage and keith craft 408 w/AFR'S but i want a newer, nicer car with better re-sale.
Re sale value on a modded car? Lol!
Old 10-16-2006, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, ok, I KNOW I'm gonna get ripped for this! Sell the 5.0 and get yourself a 04-06 GTO...f-a-s-t car, and interior and build quality good enough to be in a BMW or Benz...I get SO many compliments on mine, and mines stock (90% stock except for exhaust)! Just drive one once and you'll fall in love! Just my opinion:-)
Old 10-16-2006, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Well this is what happened to an 04 Mustang GT with CAI, and exhaust. I had a busted up tranny at the time haha.

http://salinasracing.com/videos/AcE/acestangSR.wmv

IMO the Mustangs Mach 460 is, without a doubt, hands down the best sound system for both cars.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap, what bolt-ons did you have? Did he have LT's and the works!? (on a 4.6L the motor must actually be removed at least in part to put LT's on, what a bitch!)
At the time I had lid, exhaust, self ported TB, 4.10s, tune.

He had exhaust, meaning full like me ie:longtubes, pro-chamber, flows, CAI, ported TB, intake plenum, 3.73s, underdrive pullies, tune.

We were both on Nittos.

My car in that state ran 12.34 and 12.39, with 1.8xx 60fts, and trapped 113.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well my buddy has a mint 2000 mustang GT 5 speed convertible very nice car, and i recently purchased a show condition 2000 camaro z28 m6, i pick it up at the end of the week. Me and my buddy are sure to run them against each other ill try to get a videos of it. by the way he has no mufflers and a k&n drop in and the camaro with be bone stock.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28adiction
Well my buddy has a mint 2000 mustang GT 5 speed convertible very nice car, and i recently purchased a show condition 2000 camaro z28 m6, i pick it up at the end of the week. Me and my buddy are sure to run them against each other ill try to get a videos of it. by the way he has no mufflers and a k&n drop in and the camaro with be bone stock.
lol he is losing power because his car lacks back pressure without the mufflers.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Re sale value on a modded car? Lol!

Exactly. I want a stock LS1 and I plan on adding SFC's and a lid. the Lid wont hurt resale at all, the SFC's a little (possibly).
Old 10-17-2006, 07:46 AM
12 Second Club

My best friend had a '99 cobra, we both had catbacks and that was it. I usually pulled on him out of the hole and on each shift thanks to the extra bit of torque the LS1 offers. Basically would come down to the driver though.

Another friend had an '01 GT with Exhaust, 3.73's, Chip, Airbox, other minor mods and Nitto's on the back and would run 13.70 all day long. Seemed like he was driving it about the best it could be.

Another guy I know had a '99 Cobra with 9lbs. of boost running through a Vortech blower, 3.73's, usual bolt-ons and was running low 13's. Not the best driver out there, and he kept getting pissed losing to me. We were racing with my mods below except the rear end, and a couple other minor things.

Another friend has a stock '05 GT. Fun to drive and beat on, not very torquey though. Very refined in comparison to the older stangs and especially to the LS1's. Runs 14 flat all day long, and easy to drive it on the street or strip.

The stangs are more comfortable, more driver friendly, but in regards to power, going mod for mod, the LS1 seems to be more responsive and have more potential. A H/C LS1 is running with the '03 supercharged cobras ya know? But if you're not in it for straight power and speed, the mustang will probably treat you better on a daily basis.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Exactly. I want a stock LS1 and I plan on adding SFC's and a lid. the Lid wont hurt resale at all, the SFC's a little (possibly).
Yeah right. You know after some time you will want to do more and more to it. Hell I planned on keeping my car stock when I got it, but ended up about 8 months later buying a nitrious kit for it lol

I had an 88 GT vert, saved it from the junkyard. Always wanted a Ws6 growing up (I was 12/13 when they first came out) and a year or so after HS, I sold my GT and got my car. I know what I wanted, but if I had to redo it all again, I would get a c5 vette.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is go with what you like. Once you own a car for a while, your views will change. Don't worry about what car is faster, you will always find someone faster, and either car can be improved. Just be happy with whatever one you buy.

I have never had a day in the year I've owned my car where I thought it was a POS.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:58 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kapedogg
My best friend had a '99 cobra, we both had catbacks and that was it. I usually pulled on him out of the hole and on each shift thanks to the extra bit of torque the LS1 offers. Basically would come down to the driver though.

Another friend had an '01 GT with Exhaust, 3.73's, Chip, Airbox, other minor mods and Nitto's on the back and would run 13.70 all day long. Seemed like he was driving it about the best it could be.

Another guy I know had a '99 Cobra with 9lbs. of boost running through a Vortech blower, 3.73's, usual bolt-ons and was running low 13's. Not the best driver out there, and he kept getting pissed losing to me. We were racing with my mods below except the rear end, and a couple other minor things.

Another friend has a stock '05 GT. Fun to drive and beat on, not very torquey though. Very refined in comparison to the older stangs and especially to the LS1's. Runs 14 flat all day long, and easy to drive it on the street or strip.

The stangs are more comfortable, more driver friendly, but in regards to power, going mod for mod, the LS1 seems to be more responsive and have more potential. A H/C LS1 is running with the '03 supercharged cobras ya know? But if you're not in it for straight power and speed, the mustang will probably treat you better on a daily basis.
Vs. a stock '03 Cobra? Cam-only does the job.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by _JB_
Yeah right. You know after some time you will want to do more and more to it. Hell I planned on keeping my car stock when I got it, but ended up about 8 months later buying a nitrious kit for it lol

I had an 88 GT vert, saved it from the junkyard. Always wanted a Ws6 growing up (I was 12/13 when they first came out) and a year or so after HS, I sold my GT and got my car. I know what I wanted, but if I had to redo it all again, I would get a c5 vette.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is go with what you like. Once you own a car for a while, your views will change. Don't worry about what car is faster, you will always find someone faster, and either car can be improved. Just be happy with whatever one you buy.

I have never had a day in the year I've owned my car where I thought it was a POS.
IMa broke *** college student, I dont see mods in my future, lol.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:28 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Vs. a stock '03 Cobra? Cam-only does the job.
I've seen plenty of the lose to cam only's. Usually a pretty good race though. I've taken a few on the highway, but never got to run one at the strip, and my car is pretty much cam and bolt ons. From what I've been told, Lingenfelter pretty much just massages the heads and cleans them up, they don't really port them out much. Fun to drive and reliable.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Teching In

To get any power out of a 2V, you need FI or nitrous. Even then, the stock bottom end is limited and the Mach1 bottom ends is just as fragile. The 03-04 Cobra is the only model with forged internal and will hold well over 600 rwhp. If your not looking to do many mods but still want a quick DD, the LS1 is your best bet.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:05 AM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

okay, heres a vid of my 99 formy vs my buddies 02 gt stang.

both stick shifts, both have exhaust, but i have a lid, but i also give him the hit

i bought my car for 12.9k with 24k miles, he spent 10.9k but his har i think had like 70+k miles.

im the second race on the vid so just wait
http://videos.mistreetscene.org/rece...4040f119f9.htm
Old 10-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Nice car JDP, if I can sell my car I might just go find me one like yours. About the video, it sounded like the stang was shifting at 3k when racing the Dakota, but I guess he really didn't need to push to hard on that race.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:42 AM
9 Second Club

Get what you like best, but it sounds like an 03/04/05+ mustang is out of your price range. LT1<03/04 MAch1=LS1<03/04 Cobra but both the LS1 and cobra can be modded easily with pulley/tune or nitrous/tune respectively and hold the higher horsepower with the bottom end. A stock Mach does pretty damn well with a 100 shot/tune. A new edge GT is slow and must have FI with the 2V heads, so it will cost mucho denero to compete with a stockish LS1.

Right now I'd have to say a LS1 is the bang-for-buck winner if you can only have 1 car and 1/4 mile performance is your priority. If you could have 2, drop a forged 347 in that fox and buy a gas-sippin' DD...
Old 10-17-2006, 11:23 AM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FunkyBoss
Nice car JDP, if I can sell my car I might just go find me one like yours. About the video, it sounded like the stang was shifting at 3k when racing the Dakota, but I guess he really didn't need to push to hard on that race.
lol, that was my car that we were in that you can hear when the stang and dokata were racing.

and yes, i was shifting at about 3 grand, maybe even less,
Old 10-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Teching In

My fault, I though I saw the Stang lift with the sound of the exhaust drop, I guess it was the motion of the camera . Your car sounds good though!
Old 10-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Banned

PFFFTTTT!!! after seeing that video JDP I can no-longer consider a mustang.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:42 PM
11 Second Club

It all boils down to cubes plain and simple. Multiple cams and valves are not gonna move more air in an engine that has a 65 cubic inch disadvantage. And even if it is able to move more air at a certain rpm it will be much higher (the rpms) than the stock valvetrain can handle. There is no replacement for displacement. But it is fun being the underdog. -Mark

Quick Reply: Stock LS1 kills on 4.6L 99+ mustangs!!!