Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2004 GTO versus 04 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:54 PM
wrp
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2004 GTO versus 04 Cobra

Me n Ethyl was out cruising around in Concord Massachusetts minding our own business (MMOB) when I looked up in the mirror and seen a very pretty black 04 Cobra..he said it was an 04 anyhow. I hollered over to Ethyl "Don't look Ethyl!!!" But it was too late, she done been snake bit.

It was kinda cool and traction was equally bad for everyone but we slippy slided through it. Enjoy the video.

Click here to see Ethyl versus a Terminator
Old 03-26-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good kill...what are the mods of the cars?
Old 03-26-2007, 11:10 PM
wrp
9 Second Club

GTO has pretty much everything. Cobra guy was kinda holding his hand close to his chest. I'm gonna guess ported Eaton, Exhaust, and maybe tune. Couldn't say more on the tune. He held better at high speed rolls later. I got the GTO mods posted around somewhere. Headers, cam, tune, FAST 90/90, supsension, exhaust and so forth. A pullied Cobra closer to 460 rwhp stays closer to me. Its a driver's race there. Got a couple of vids there too. I can't handle the KB or Whipple guys. Anything over about 500 rwhp and they got me.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Almost looks as if the Cobra wasnt totally into it...
Old 03-26-2007, 11:23 PM
wrp
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIDNIGHTZ
Almost looks as if the Cobra wasnt totally into it...
yep sort of like the Z06 video when we yanked third. That's pretty typical for one in the 430-440 rwhp range. We were both having a hard time hooking, you can hear my shift alarm going as I pedaled it back from redline.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Banned

Damn you are on a roll lately!
Old 03-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Launching!

good kill he was probably just pullied/tuned.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Good kill. You walked him pretty good. I didn't hear his supercharger though.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:26 PM
wrp
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by red2003cobra
Good kill. You walked him pretty good. I didn't hear his supercharger though.
That is why I figured it was an Eaton. Hear the KB I know I been had. Also my window was up and my rusted mufflers make a lot of racket. He'll get some mods and come back tough.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

nice cobra kill!!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wrp
That is why I figured it was an Eaton. Hear the KB I know I been had. Also my window was up and my rusted mufflers make a lot of racket. He'll get some mods and come back tough.
Actually, with a CAI, Eaton's scream bloody murder too. Good kill though. You must have a real beast. A good buddy of mine bought an Black 05 with Black rims. Damn nice car. I wish my car had such a nice interior.

Lance
Old 03-26-2007, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wrp
yep sort of like the Z06 video when we yanked third. That's pretty typical for one in the 430-440 rwhp range. We were both having a hard time hooking, you can hear my shift alarm going as I pedaled it back from redline.
Thought I heard some digital noise... So how did he feel about that lil spankin?
Old 03-27-2007, 12:04 AM
wrp
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by red2003cobra
Actually, with a CAI, Eaton's scream bloody murder too. Good kill though. You must have a real beast. A good buddy of mine bought an Black 05 with Black rims. Damn nice car. I wish my car had such a nice interior.

Lance
There are 2-3 cars i think are benchmark cars to measure your mods against, one is definitely the C5 Z06 and the other is the 03/04 Cobra. I went out to buy an 04 Cobra but by November 04 there were none to really be found or had. The GTO was second choice so I've had to work with what I got. I have another friend who has an 03 and we regularly square off after rounds of mods.

Here are a couple, notice you cannot hear his Eaton either.

Click here to see us run a pullied 03

Keep in mind we are running on a track with terrible preparation. This was about 25-30 rwhp ago for me and about 20 for him. He redlighted but I still crossed about a half a fender in front. I was on 245 DRs at the time. I think I am ahead in the mod war. They closed the track down shortly after our run due to the cold temps (below 40).

He totally whipped my *** at the level I was at in this video when he added his pully and brought it to around 450-455 rwhp. I'm down on torque and I personally think that is where the 455-460 rwhp cars have an advantage over me, plus they get better meat under them.

Also, anything I say about them could be wrong cause I am only repeating what the owners said to me.

Here was another run against him where I tagged him pretty good off the start. Couple runs later he got me.

Click here to see the next round

I was running 8.4 1/8s in the first 03 vid, 8.2 1/8s in the second 03 vid and 7.8 1/8s against the black one. I'm trapping around 115 on a good day. I'm still not the best driver of a GTO either.

*Note: And for that special ******* yes I know the last two vids are old but they support the discussion.
Originally Posted by MIDNIGHTZ
Thought I heard some digital noise... So how did he feel about that lil spankin?
He was amazed and a really cool guy. He was new to the area so I hooked him up with a couple of GTGs and a couple of tuner shops. Funny thing about it is guys that really get out there and roll their sleeves up and do it generally don't have a lot of hard feelings. I told him some of the things my friend in the 03 had done and I suspect he will be back to whip my *** some day. There should be no doubt he was new to it. Probably bought a lot of stuff he didn't need. He'll get it sorted out. Also, lots of guys get really hung up on racing from high speed rolls and the whole world changes when you start down low. There is a local 470+ rwhp guy wanting to call me out but he wants to run from a 2nd gear roll cause he gets "wheel hop". I'm holding out for a run from the dig.

Last edited by wrp; 03-27-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:39 AM
Teching In

In that first vid it did look like the Cobra was caught off guard. But you did still pass him up when it was clear that he was going. And I doubt he was ported cuz ported Cobras make closer to 500RWHP. You said pullied Cobras closer to 460RWHP stay closer to you. That leads me to believe he wasn't ported.

But your GTO is quick. You edged him out in the other races. I didn't hear anything over the noise of your car. What kind of numbers you putting down?....
Old 03-27-2007, 12:46 AM
wrp
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by PWORLDSTANG
In that first vid it did look like the Cobra was caught off guard. But you did still pass him up when it was clear that he was going. And I doubt he was ported cuz ported Cobras make closer to 500RWHP. You said pullied Cobras closer to 460RWHP stay closer to you. That leads me to believe he wasn't ported.

But your GTO is quick. You edged him out in the other races. I didn't hear anything over the noise of your car. What kind of numbers you putting down?....
Actually this was a two part video, the first being the second video. With the hp I got traction is an issue and 2nd/3rd in my car is where it happens. In the first run he had just turned into the inside after getting beat pretty much the same way. He made that turn inside me to run me, he jumped first and I let him on purpose since I hurt him so badly the first run.

Where you ought to give him credit is I did not catch him the second time until 2nd gear, he done good. jeez guys I gave him a half car launch on me and he was rolling and I was just barely rolling. Oh yea, here was the run before the one I posted, same day, back to back. Enjoy

Click here to see how he did with a holeshot

Had a guy with a Lightning claiming a ported Eaton one night and was not claiming anything near that. Regardless I cannot handle them over 460, yet. Its a poor quality vid but I had the window down and you could hear the whine. Wanna see that one

Last edited by wrp; 03-27-2007 at 12:53 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wrp
With the hp I got traction is an issue and 2nd/3rd in my car is where it happens. In the first run he had just turned into the inside after getting beat pretty much the same way form the first run, posted below. He made that turn inside me to run me. Where you ought to give him credit is I did not catch him the second time until 2nd gear. jeez guys I gave him a half car launch on me and he was rolling and I was just barely rolling. Oh yea, here was the run before the one I posted, same day, back to back. Enjoy

Click here to see how he did with a holeshot

Had a guy with a Lightning claiming a ported Eaton one night and was not claiming anything near that. Regardless I cannot handle them over 460, yet.
Talk about bouncing off the rev limiter ha...nice run though....
Old 03-27-2007, 12:54 AM
wrp
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Phil8616
Talk about bouncing off the rev limiter ha...nice run though....
The beeping is the tach redline but yea I did bounce her off the limiter I'll say this, you guys are a lot more fun to talk about kills with than the ricer guys.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Great runs dude.........
Old 03-27-2007, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wrp
There is a local 470+ rwhp guy wanting to call me out but he wants to run from a 2nd gear roll cause he gets "wheel hop". I'm holding out for a run from the dig.

Tell him he needs to get "drag radials/slicks" and stop being a *****. its the cheapest solution to wheel hop, but just like slicks/DR on ANY stock rear/irs...things CAN break, but if hes worried about that, he shouldnt be racing. and careful, us cobra owners are getting as sneaky witht he spray as some of you LS1 boys are. I know im ready for them lol.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

Another nice run! I'm starting to think you want Ethyl to look...