Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Slk55 Amg...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slk55 Amg...

I was next to one today in traffic. It was an old man, and I figured it was way out my leauge. Just from racing people around town, I'm guessing my car should run 13.0 or so. Anyway, I was just going to admire the car and let him drive in peace. We got a light, when it turned green we slowly took off, and then he just nailed it. I followed in pursuit. He grabbed up 2 good car lengths before I even reacted, and probably got another 2 and half by the time everything was done around 90. I was under the assumption that car had the some motor out of the E55 AMG, but it is advertised making 355hp 376tq and has 3400lbs curb weight. Anyone else have any experience with the SLK 55?

Last edited by blertawho; 05-13-2007 at 02:20 AM.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

smoked by the grandpa
Old 05-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Teching In

i am stock(yes i know im slow) and an old man was playing with me and asked if i wanted to go for one in a SL600 AMG and i talked to him at the light after he raped me and he said he had just about $200K invested in it (including the car) and he was pushing near 650 HP. i know it isnt a SLK 55, but those SL mercedes are no joke. i respect a car with a v12. i know i was the one being killed, but it was still cool watching that beast fly down the road.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

AMG believes in the american theory of more cubic inches=more power.....
Old 05-05-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

Lol, well Ive played with an SLK55 in the Cobra, but it was pretty ugly for him
Old 05-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Launching!

There are quite a few SLK55 AMG's around here (South OC) and I've run a few. Those little buggers are quick, but you should be able to run one down, no problem. He was just utilizing your surprise and had the momentum with him.

I mean, you didn't say what you've got, but I'm assuming a stock LS1. Maybe an A4? If so, you'd be pretty close to his spec or below, so then it all comes down to the driver.

If you're not stock, you just got owned by some German muscle and you need to get a tune, buddy.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

naw, not the same motor as the E55...SLK55 AMG uses the 5.4L N/A engine....makes I believe 362hp/376lb/ft of torque though. They run high 12s to low 13s but trap anywhere from 109-111....definitely quick little buggars if they catch you off guard!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BOBA_VETT
I mean, you didn't say what you've got, but I'm assuming a stock LS1. Maybe an A4? If so, you'd be pretty close to his spec or below, so then it all comes down to the driver.
99 Z28 with an open cutout and a lid; basically stock. And I need to get my LS7 clutch and UMI suspension crap put in, the clutch was slipping kinda bad when I slammed second. I was just pretty surprised that he diddnt just blow me away. I would bet he would have still beat me, had the race been fair. But the smirk and hand wave he gave me was not justified.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blertawho
I would bet he would have still beat me, had the race been fair. But the smirk and hand wave he gave me was not justified.
You know, I find the overpriced Euro's seem to do that quite a bit.

I beat the crap out of a Porsche Carerra one day, even on his turf; the curves and all he could say when he caught up was, "buy a real car!"
Funny, the "fake car" left you in the dust by a car-length.

Don't sweat it, because you may see him again or he'll run into another F-body and then he'll be keepin' that wave to himself.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

...Anyone else have any experience with the SLK 55?
I bought one last year (prev car in sig). After the Formula I was looking for a new rwd V8 'vert and the SLK55 was the only import I drove that fit the bill (pardon the pun *L*). As mentioned, it is a kind of German take on american style performance - big engine in a small car with gobs of torque down low for easy stress free power. Just stomp and go without having to rev the bejeezus out of the thing. Timeslip below from my track visit last summer - I'm in the right lane. There was a friends '02 Camaro SS in the left lane.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:45 AM
On The Tree

Nice, I'm definately going to be on the look out for this guy again. Ive always loved the E55s, those are banannas. And when I became aware of the SLK55, I just naturally assumed it would have the blower; too bad it doesn't because that would be nuts. The SLK55 has all my respect, I dont think it is an overpriced miata like the other SLKs. There is alot of attention given to it to seperate it from other ones.

I give alot of expensive performance cars out there crap, but that is just because I cannot afford them. I know it is hard to beat a LS1 f-body's performance for the money, but given the option; would enjoy a little refinement and a little less back ache.

I was also impressed with the traction control on that thing. I heard a hint of tire squeal and he was off. I diddn't hear the motor lug down or any hessitation. I just leave my traction off because it is so invasive.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

They are very nice cars. And you pay what you get for with them. Our car's performance is freakish fast for what they cost, gotta remember that. My car will be 10 years old in November (build date: 11/97) and its still faster than most cars out there.

Good death. I wouldnt mind losing to almost any AMG. From their current generation the C-class AMG is the only one that wont give us a run for our money.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

And when I became aware of the SLK55, I just naturally assumed it would have the blower; too bad it doesn't because that would be nuts. The SLK55 has all my respect, I dont think it is an overpriced miata like the other SLKs. There is alot of attention given to it to seperate it from other ones.

I give alot of expensive performance cars out there crap, but that is just because I cannot afford them. I know it is hard to beat a LS1 f-body's performance for the money, but given the option; would enjoy a little refinement and a little less back ache.

I was also impressed with the traction control on that thing. I heard a hint of tire squeal and he was off. I diddn't hear the motor lug down or any hessitation. I just leave my traction off because it is so invasive.
Thanks, I like a lot of different performance cars myself - as long as it has a decent ability to get out of it's own way, I give it credit where credit is due. I had a blast with the Formula and if it hadn't been destroyed in an accident, no doubt I'd still be driving it. I had T/C on that Formula, so I know what you mean there - the SLK's works a bit different in that you can tone it down without turning it off completely, allowing you to get on the gas hard, without the car then killing the power. With 7 speeds in the gearbox, it also has a very aggressive gearing for a good launch or low speed punch.

As for the S/C, I wish! Maybe one of the aftermarket kits someday
Old 05-14-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mystic 98 TA
They are very nice cars. And you pay what you get for with them. Our car's performance is freakish fast for what they cost, gotta remember that. My car will be 10 years old in November (build date: 11/97) and its still faster than most cars out there.

Good death. I wouldnt mind losing to almost any AMG. From their current generation the C-class AMG is the only one that wont give us a run for our money.
I have some friends in the local F-body club and still cruise with 'em - I lose more races than I win, but it's all good! *L*

As for the C class, the new AMG C63 with close to 500hp is being released soon.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Teching In

If it was an older SLK 55 it was N/A. If it says Kompressor V8 on the side you might want to get some mods. If it's the Kompressor is should be pumping out the 469hp/512TQ.

Gus//
Old 05-15-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HOWFAST
If it was an older SLK 55 it was N/A. If it says Kompressor V8 on the side you might want to get some mods. If it's the Kompressor is should be pumping out the 469hp/512TQ.

Gus//
SLK55's have never had the K engine, just the 355hp 5.4L NA version. You may be thinking of the previous generation SLK which had the 3.2L Kompressor V6 engine - 349hp in that one. 2005 was the changeover year.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BillWS6Formula
As for the C class, the new AMG C63 with close to 500hp is being released soon.
Do you mean "C" or "CLS"?? I saw a few CLS63s running around Italy while i was there...

I was thinking the C-class being the smaller 4-door sedan. The ones with the 2.8L Kompressor oe something like that. That classes AMG is the C32... 6.3L in that little *** thing would be FAAAASSSSST.

The CLS is that sweet-looking full sized 4-door with the VERY distinctive back-end. That classes base motor is the 5.0 V8, I believe. Then they have the CLS550 and the CLS 55 AMG.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

They can run high 12s in the low 110s-112s - basically even with a C6. Neat cars, power retractable hardtop, pretty small inside though - real small.

For perspective, my GFs SLK350 7A runs 14.1s @ 100mph all day with stock 268hp and with no drag prep. Consistent enough to place in bracket races.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i lost to one on the high way when my SS had just bolt ons, he would take a car or two on me then i would VERY slowly reel him in
Old 05-19-2007, 01:20 AM
Launching!

Yeah, my bolt-on LS1 had a hard time with a CLS AMG. Could barely reel him in on the top end (around 135mph). Those things are bad ***!

If you're talking about current C-class AMG's, I think you're talking about the C55. That thing clocks in around 360bhp, granted I have a hard time coughing up $45k for a C-class.

Hey Bill, what's your launch technique for that time? That traction control's super hard to defeat (I've never gotten it completely off) and it's weird when it kicks in. Not really like the TC on my LS1... just "squirrelly".