Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

1997 cobra vs 1998 ws6 ....come on in

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 cobra vs 1998 ws6 ....come on in

alright so heres the deal guys. I have a 98 ws6 m6 with the mods in my sig, and this kid i go to school with has a 1997 mustang gt with a 1997 32v cobra swap. The catch is...it has a vortech v2 s trim (i believe...know its an v2) with the anderson (spelling?) powerpipe. He used the sct scanner and flash street tuned it himself. Its on like a 6-8psi pulley not sure, but i know it never goes over 8psi. He tells me he will be "crushing" 420rwhp at our dyno day at school, and will easily blow the doors off me.

....does he speak the truth, or will a stock longblock, stock heads, shorties with cats, x pipe, catback on street tire mustang be able to beat me 360rwp 370ft lbs trans am?

i know i know...race and find out but i dont have the car at school yet, and im curious if his "knowledge for supercharged cobras" is accurate.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

btw it does NOT have any cooler for the supercharger, and it has ford racing 3.73s
Old 09-04-2007, 12:30 AM
12 Second Club

Hmmm, is it a built motor or just a swap? Seems as if unless it's built for it, and sometimes even if it is, those motors don't hold up to boost for long. Anywho, it would probably be a decent race between you two. Any idea how good his tuning abilities are?
Old 09-04-2007, 12:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Assman
Seems as if unless it's built for it, and sometimes even if it is, those motors don't hold up to boost for long.
Explain...I'd really like to hear the logic to why a 96-01 Cobra motor won't hold up to boost long.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by delsold
alright so heres the deal guys. I have a 98 ws6 m6 with the mods in my sig, and this kid i go to school with has a 1997 mustang gt with a 1997 32v cobra swap. The catch is...it has a vortech v2 s trim (i believe...know its an v2) with the anderson (spelling?) powerpipe. He used the sct scanner and flash street tuned it himself. Its on like a 6-8psi pulley not sure, but i know it never goes over 8psi. He tells me he will be "crushing" 420rwhp at our dyno day at school, and will easily blow the doors off me.

....does he speak the truth, or will a stock longblock, stock heads, shorties with cats, x pipe, catback on street tire mustang be able to beat me 360rwp 370ft lbs trans am?

i know i know...race and find out but i dont have the car at school yet, and im curious if his "knowledge for supercharged cobras" is accurate.
His car will easily make 420rwhp. Actually it will probably be more like 440rwhp. The Anderson 4" powerpipe helps out ALOT. The base blower bolt onto a 96-98 Cobra puts down 400rwhp everytime with a tune. However there is a catch.... His 3.73 gears are going to kill him. With his gears I'd say you have it won. If he had 4.30-4.56 gears in it like he should you wouldn't stand a chance. I say go spank his ***.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Put your car on a diet for the night and blow the doors off that stang!! Kid sounds pretty cocky.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:31 AM
11 Second Club

From a dig you should holeshot him. From a roll, he'd probably get you. His rwhp#'s are legit as that's about the norm for a stock pullied S-trim on a 96-98 4v. -Mark
Old 09-04-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for hte posts guys.

some more input though...

It is a totally stock longblock 4v. He pulled it out of a wrecked cobra, and swapped it into his gt. Last night when he was out street tuning it was running 6-7psi. This is his first time ever tuning with the sct, and first time in general. The car seems to be running a bit rich, and the a/f seems to fat up top. He wants to keep it conservative which i can understand but its dipping into 10.2-10.5:1 range up top. Its a 5spd car with the 3.73's so thats as high as he wanted to go since he highway drives it frequently. When we race it will be from a dig, and probably from a roll as well.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alright guys....i know it may be close, but maybe ill hafta get a 125shot for the end of september when we line them up haha
Old 09-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Launching!

As long as he runs good fuel and keeps the tune on the safe side, It should last. The 96-98 4.6 4V has pretty weak pistons and rods that can not tolerate any detonation. The block and crank are very strong, the heads flow very well but have very big ports, so they do not have good velocity. Put some boost to one (4v 4.6) and they really come alive.
People have been in the 8s with un ported 96-98 heads and stock cams (I think that one was Tim Palmer: 91mm turbo, custom intake, Glide, stock style suspension)

Originally Posted by delsold
alright guys....i know it may be close, but maybe ill hafta get a 125shot for the end of september when we line them up haha
You should take him on the jug.
Also, if he dont have a good tune, you me get of decent.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Explain...I'd really like to hear the logic to why a 96-01 Cobra motor won't hold up to boost long.
Well a few local club members have showed me that. One blew his first motor, had it built, and blew it again a month later. Then a good friend of mine has his car down from boosting a stock motor, but then again his is the GT.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:22 PM
***Repost Police***

Well a few local club members have showed me that. One blew his first motor, had it built, and blew it again a month later. Then a good friend of mine has his car down from boosting a stock motor, but then again his is the GT.
A safe tune with 6-9psi should hold up for quite a while on either motor. If they're blowing their **** up like that, it's either a tuning problem (including too much boost), or operator error
Old 09-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
A safe tune with 6-9psi should hold up for quite a while on either motor. If they're blowing their **** up like that, it's either a tuning problem (including too much boost), or operator error
People tend to get greedy with power (boost)........................ Broken ****
Old 09-04-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ya but boost is much harder to come by with greed with a supercharger setup over a turbo setup...

but anyway back to my thread. I was only thinking his car may not be running to the best of its abilites because of how rich it seems to be running. I would hope for sure i would be able to crush him if i put a bottle in, but i'd really like to run with him NA vs. him s/c
Old 09-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

You still didn't answer my question. Why does boost kill these motors? You said a 96-98 Cobra wont hold up to boost long. Are you saying that only because these two guys that you know blew up their cars after they put a supercharger on? Come on man, tell me you aren't that ignorant.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
You still didn't answer my question. Why does boost kill these motors? You said a 96-98 Cobra wont hold up to boost long. Are you saying that only because these two guys that you know blew up their cars after they put a supercharger on? Come on man, tell me you aren't that ignorant.
Ok, the two guys I know well that tried to do it blew them up and there are several others local that I don't know well that have also killed the stock motor easily.

What are you going to believe? What you see and witness or what your told by someone on the internet....make sense?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ok, the two guys I know well that tried to do it blew them up and there are several others local that I don't know well that have also killed the stock motor easily.

What are you going to believe? What you see and witness or what your told by someone on the internet....make sense?
Boost didn't kill their motor. Running it lean did.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mpe331lx
People tend to get greedy with power (boost)........................ Broken ****
+1. This is why they blow. Higher boost levels + hypereutectic pistons and powered rods = a broken shortblock.

Keep it under 10psi and a under 12:1 a/f and she'll last. -Mark
Old 09-05-2007, 10:01 AM

Get some drag radials and race from a stop. From a roll he'll probably walk you pretty bad. I'd go as far as to get the drag radials and the 125 shot you mentioned. That'll easily take care of that problem from a stop or a roll.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Personally...I disagree with 420+RWHP....

Tune and NO I/C.

Andersen powerpipes help out alot, but the fact he isn't running a cooler negates that and then some. Unless he gets a REAL tune, and not his backyard test run BS tune, he should @ about 400, even with 6.5 psi. His 'test tuning' is killing him....the 10.5 is proof of that. He needs to put down his crack pipe, and have someone that knows what they are doing, tune it. I would guess he is running ~370 RWHP, given tune and no IC.

I have Q's for him though....if he is worried about his car, why is he experiementing with the tuning, instead of having an experienced person do it? AND Why is he NOT running an I/C? Does he have Meth inj.?

BTW - assman....I think you should do a combination....research online and call around. Nice tune and 8-9 psi on a stock short block with a centrif. blower is fine.

Quick Reply: 1997 cobra vs 1998 ws6 ....come on in