Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

New S/C Roush 427R Vs. Cammed SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New S/C Roush 427R Vs. Cammed SS

The weather here has been crappy for awhile so it's been a long time since I've been able to just drive around and enjoy my car. But today we had nice clear skies and temps in the mid-60's, and I had just cleaned the SS up Saturday and I thought this would be a great day to just drive around and enjoy.

On the way home I see a S197 'Stang up ahead so I give it a little more gas to get a closer inspection and notice that it has some fatter than stock tires on the back and a different spoiler so I got a little excited. I get beside him and notice the 'Roush' badges and than the flat black stripe that says 427R!

My mods are in my sig and I was NOT SPRAYING THIS RACE!

About that time the next light turns red so we pull up beside each other at the front. I had my windows down and his were up but I could see inside and I smiled real big and gave him the big thumbs up, and he returned it. This car was amazing looking! All black with the big chrome wheels!

The light turns green and we both take off rather quickly and hit it at about 15. It was dead even until second than I started to pull ahead but only got about a fender until the top of second than we both let off because of traffic ahead. I could hear that S/C whinning and was pretty proud of my little bucket.

We drove along and never really got a chance to play because of traffic. I actually got about four cars in front until I hit another red light with nothing in front. I look in my mirror and see him whip into the right lane to pull beside me at the red light. I got a huge grin on my face because it was nothing but open road and I knew it was on!

Light turns green and we both hit it. I quickly put a nose hair on him and held that through first but (I have been having issues with my tranny getting into second and third sometimes and it always seems to happen when racing. I think it may be my synchross) had a slight problem getting into second and he actually pulled a nose in front, but once I got traction in second I started walking back on him. I nailed third pretty good and started walking him. I let out in third (I'm guessing around 90 or so) with a little more than half a car on him.

This was one of the closest races I've had with this car and was pretty stocked! I let him get in front and followed him to a gas station. I pulled up beside him and we talked for a little while.

He was an older man (I'm guessing late 50's) and VERY cool! I told him I loved the sound of that supercharger and he told me he LOVED the sound of my car and that it was a monster. I told him what I had done and just shot the ****. Very cool guy and hope to run into him again sometime.

I told him maybe the next time I see him I'll have my window switch fixed and I can give him some nitrous runs. He just laughed and said "I think I'd be in a hell of a lot of trouble!"

Thanks for reading guys.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, great races and nice kills. Time to go read up on that car.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

sweet ride and nice kill bro! sounds like a good run!

BIG RED
Old 01-27-2008, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

Good kill man.
I've seen a few of those at the track and by looks of it, they're not special.

BTW: What size shot do you normally spray?
Old 01-27-2008, 05:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice kill man! I'm never in the TA when I see those things, usually in the Grand Am. I like the look of those cars quite a lot, I just hate that they call them a 427R because of the HP and not the CI.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Restricted User

Great Race....Nice Kill...
Old 01-27-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Local-heretic
Good kill man.

Well they're rated 435/400 at the flywheel, so even if they're heavy, I'm sure they're no slouch. I don't know if the extra 115hp is worth the $15,599 package, but I guess if you have the money and like the badges, it's a no brainer.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Local-heretic
Good kill man.

Way to steal my thunder

I'm guessing they are a high 12 car at best. MAYBE a mid 12 second car with a great driver. It was damn close all through first and second but I started walking by him pretty good at the top of second and through third.

I'm jetted for a 150 shot, but have yet to spray anywhere but the dyno. I'm having issues with my window switch and I just got my car back from the tuner late Friday night so I haven't had time to even mess with it.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice kills. I got beside one of those but he didn't want to play. They do look nice as hell. That's the first Mustang I've seen in years that I liked.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story, and great kill. I really liked the way you told it. Descriptive, but not filled with useless info like, "Britney Spears was playing on the radio."

Glad to hear that there are still friendly races out there. It seems like so many people are ******** to the guy they're racing.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Nice runs. I feel your pain with the weather and I also got to run a vert 427R a while back. Was a damn good race and really nice cars.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's a guy around here with one of those. I seen it so the next time I seen him (he wasn't driving it) I said "nice car" he replies " yeah you want to race" Me- "yeah I do" Him- "**** in that Trans Am" So yeah I'm gonna get him. I think he deserves it. Cocky bastard. I would think that you should have walked him harder than what you did though. With 427 at the crank that's only about 363 to the wheels. What do those things weigh?
Old 01-27-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rocksws6
There's a guy around here with one of those. I seen it so the next time I seen him (he wasn't driving it) I said "nice car" he replies " yeah you want to race" Me- "yeah I do" Him- "**** in that Trans Am" So yeah I'm gonna get him. I think he deserves it. Cocky bastard. I would think that you should have walked him harder than what you did though. With 427 at the crank that's only about 363 to the wheels. What do those things weigh?
You have to remember he probably still pissed off that he paid nearly 50K for a car that will get spanked by a car that hasn't been produced for 6 years and is fairly cheaap to acquire and mod. There is a Saleen around here I have been itching to lay waste to because of the same thing. Arrogent ******* that paid to much for a slow car. It does look nice though.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah they are a good looking car, but 50k. I wouldn't do it.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Good Kill
Old 01-27-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good kill man, I have been wondering what a similar powerd f-body would do to one of those.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, everytime I read a story about the 427R's......they're usually getting their asses handed to them. You usually see them running 13's at the track......with an occasional high 12 pass

I still think Roush was stupid to try the whole "427" badging approach.......talk about total misrepresentation. They're pretty cars, but that's about it. Just a dressed up GT with badges and a weak-*** roots blower. You can build a regular GT that will embarrass a 427R "AND" look better doing it...........for less money.

Good kill.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:18 AM
11 Second Club

sweet kill

the stage 5 roush that sells for nearly 80 grand has 550hp...i bet that thing moves for an army tank
Old 01-28-2008, 01:38 AM

No offense, but it seems to me that the dude in the roush could not drive...Maybe he's "only" got 427 crank hp, so thats probally 375rw, you claim you have 405 N/A...im not seeing that with the mods you've got, you'd need H/C/I and you'd have a good engine and great tune to pull those numbers with 62cc chambers...even if you do have 405rwhp, the guy in the roush still has more usable power because his torque curve is so immediate and flat with that twin screw blower...in other words, even if you do make a shade more peak power, that cars gonna still be a bitch, because the roush makes more power almost everywhere but peak, and a lot more power under 3500rpm...Like i said, i dont think the guy could drive, not calling you a liar, bit if you want to know which car is really faster, run him on a roll at 60mph and see what happens, it would probally be a different story..
Old 01-28-2008, 01:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

good kill, they are nice looking cars if you've got money to burn

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
sweet kill
the stage 5 roush that sells for nearly 80 grand has 550hp...i bet that thing moves for an army tank
id rather have this tank
http://www.evoperform.com/GT500/final.wmv