Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Got raped by a truck!!! *vid* STi vs GMC Sierra

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got raped by a truck!!! *vid* STi vs GMC Sierra

Buddy of mine (yellowsierra) has got a GMC Sierra that he has put alot of sweat and hard work into. There are some tech threads in the truck section detailing his efforts. He will have to fill you in on all the mods, what I do know is it's a built vortec that is twin turbocharged. Making somewhere in the neighborhood of 620 hood hp. When he gets on maybe he can link you guys to some of the truck tech threads.

Sorry Rocksws6 we should have called you and we could have had a 3 way race but it was really spur of the moment trip to Mexico to race.

Justin (yellowsierra) called me and told me he had his truck running again and it felt stronger than ever (best ET: 12.01). He wanted to see how it stacked up against a car he knew was fast. So we got together and BS'd for a bit and I was totally blown away by the amazing fab work he'd done complete with his own hand built headers.

We got 3 good runs in 2 from 60-110mph and 1 from 40-120mph all the runs were basically the same with me pulling hard; and then when he spools up: ouch!!! LOL I told him I should have shut down and put flashers on when he was about to pass. Even tho I got beat it was great fun

vid is of the 40-120mph run. I had 1 passenger the truck had none but I'm sure Justin wished he had a 300pound passenger sitting over his rear tires for traction, cause he was spinning all over the place.

vid: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/c...30017c1388.htm
Old 01-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Launching!

Wow your right, when those things spool look out
Old 01-29-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah traction was definatly a problem. I wish I had put my ET streets on but it was a spur of the moment race. I was spinning the tires even from the 60mph run! Talk about holding on! Props to Blackbird for the wicked STI! That thing is neak snapping from the hit. I glad we made it down to mexico for some fun runs. Hey Blackbird wasn't this my bad run? I think I had to let out of it because she was pulling alittle sideways. I remeber watching the third run we made were I didnt lose much ground off the hit.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Yellowsierra
Yeah traction was definatly a problem. I wish I had put my ET streets on but it was a spur of the moment race. I was spinning the tires even from the 60mph run! Talk about holding on! Props to Blackbird for the wicked STI! That thing is neak snapping from the hit. I glad we made it down to mexico for some fun runs. Hey Blackbird wasn't this my bad run? I think I had to let out of it because she was pulling alittle sideways. I remeber watching the third run we made were I didnt lose much ground off the hit.
The other vids didn't turn out as good as this one and will need some editing due to camera man videoing everything but the race lol. Yah you were def. having traction issues from the 40mph run but I thought it was probably the most impressive video cause you made up the lost ground so quickly. I'll see about getting the 60mph runs up.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackbird39
The other vids didn't turn out as good as this one and will need some editing due to camera man videoing everything but the race lol. Yah you were def. having traction issues from the 40mph run but I thought it was probably the most impressive video cause you made up the lost ground so quickly. I'll see about getting the 60mph runs up.
I see. haha It was alot of fun thats for sure. Im hoping brian with the Turbo 06 mustang will come up to run. I talked to him last week and he said he was waiting on his wheels to come in. I just got my wheels in for the truck. Now I just need to make enough money to put some tires on there. We should mess around some this weekend. My girlfriend was mad because I didnt take here. She loves fast cars. So I might get her to ride along and take some video.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah thanks for the invite!! Its all good as long as I get to make a pass sometime soon. I haven't raced in so long. That truck is hella fast. It should have drag radials on it 24/7. It makes too much power for street tires. I think a 150 shot might put me pretty close though. It'll be a while before I do anything else and even then I don't know if its going to be nitrous. It would be fun though.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Looks like fun
Good death to a crazy fast truck
But OUCH I would of ran away if i got my *** handed to me like that
Old 01-29-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

OUCH!! That probably still hurts. Good death.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

should have raced him from a dig first then quit...undefeated against a 620hp truck...nah props on taking the beating
Old 01-30-2008, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
should have raced him from a dig first then quit...undefeated against a 620hp truck...nah props on taking the beating
lol yah, I figured what the outcome was gonna be before we raced; it was all in good fun. I think it would be a really good race thru the 1/8th from a dig, maybe we will set that up this spring.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, the link isn't working for me, but no shame in losing to anything making that kind of power, besides maybe a tank.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that is one very nice truck!
Old 01-30-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol yah, I figured what the outcome was gonna be before we raced; it was all in good fun. I think it would be a really good race thru the 1/8th from a dig, maybe we will set that up this spring.
Or this weekend! haha Did you get the 3rd run figured out yet? I think thats the one I watched when we where at ingles. It seems like I only lost about a cars length on that run. I got the wheels and tires on today. I think they look pretty good. I need to lower it 2/3 or 3/4 to make it look right. Im going to pm brain to see when he can come around.

Originally Posted by araber89
Wow that is one very nice truck!
Thanks! I'll get some photos up soon. I lost my digital camera so I need to borrow one or buy another.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Teching In

awesome runs guys, wish i had my car back, i cant wait to get up there and get some runs with all of you, i just pmd you justin. i will have the car back the end of next week for sure now. they say lol.. and then well set it up. but damn that truck took off once it started grippin. when we run ill bring you some 235 continentals for the rear. deal lol
Old 01-30-2008, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Yellowsierra
Or this weekend! haha Did you get the 3rd run figured out yet? I think thats the one I watched when we where at ingles. It seems like I only lost about a cars length on that run. I got the wheels and tires on today. I think they look pretty good. I need to lower it 2/3 or 3/4 to make it look right.
I don't know about doing a dig race on the highway even in Mexico....and I definitely don't want to be beside you on 2 lane so we need to figure something out.

First part of the 60-100mph run your talking about is ok but, at the end camera man left it running and was some names and location information we wouldn't want to fall in the wrong hands.... That was a very good run for you I think your turbo's were spooled and you didn't spin as bad. I'll get it figured out, I'm just rusty with Roxio and can't remember how to get it to save a finished production to my hard drive.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats cool, nice seeing someone doing something a little different. nice truck you've got there.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know about doing a dig race on the highway even in Mexico....and I definitely don't want to be beside you on 2 lane so we need to figure something out.

First part of the 60-100mph run your talking about is ok but, at the end camera man left it running and was some names and location information we wouldn't want to fall in the wrong hands.... That was a very good run for you I think your turbo's were spooled and you didn't spin as bad. I'll get it figured out, I'm just rusty with Roxio and can't remember how to get it to save a finished production to my hard drive.
I messed around alittle on the interstate tonight and figured out how to break stall it and build boost. It actually seems to get alittle more traction and take of faster. I think with the boost already building it doesn't just come on all at once and blow the tires off. Well and another thing is the new tires are 10"wide... Toyo Proxy ST's 285/50/18. I'm not sure if I showed you my 2-step on the truck? It pretty much cuts off fire to the coil packs every other time. It makes the engine kinda backfire which spools the turbos up. I have it set to come on a 3500rpms with the brake pushed. Well I was going down the highway break stalling it and got it up to around 3500rpms and it started spitting and sputtering and I was like what in the world? Then I realized I had the 2-step switch on. haha Oh and it was building some good boost 6-8lbs I think off the 2-step it was building 4-5lbs.