Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

How many of you stopped racing on the street?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call me a *** i still street race
Old 02-02-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There isn't much of a street racing scene around my area(lafayette, IN) besides a few ricers. It is a rare occasion that I race someone. If I do it's usually on a back road or long stretch of highway where there is no traffic and I can see for miles in all direction in case of cops. I have had my ws6 for 7 months and maybe raced 2 people. I bought my car more for hott rodding around and going fast on backroads, but I do get the occasional race evry now and then.
pretty much how it is in the ATX here, about 7 months of ownership, MAYBE 5 races since....sucks...
Old 02-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

I've never gotten a speeding ticket/racing ticket...

I actually just got back home from racing my buddys GT stang he just got. I took him to a big 3 lane road that never has many cars on it. We did a few runs, and on the last one, we were both doing well over 100 and passed a cop going the other direction...we just split up and took a million detours home.

Cops are always in the other direction when I'm speeding...so I just get the hell outta there before they could turn around and follow me.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Teching In

It takes a lot of conditions being in place before I'll street race.

Any traffic or pedestrians and I'm out.

It's simply not worth hurting someone or losing your car to prove you're faster.

I commonly see these idiotic ricers weaving through traffic, cutting people off and crap. If they endanger someone with their Mad Skillz I have called the GSP and reported their azz.

I know, I know.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive a NAPA truck for work, so I'm ALWAYS out on the road. Every single day I see numerous people pulled over along the highway, and 99% of them are just ordinary DDs. NJ troopers are all over the highways here, both day and night, on highways and back roads. There's just no way around them, so street racing is totally out of the question. And I'm sure police everywhere are cracking down harder on street racing, with more and more 275+hp 4&6cyls. The only action I ever see anymore is someone every now and then revving their motor. Around here, there's just no use anymore. Sportbikes don't even goof off around here either.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99DWPTA
Call me a *** i still street race
You're a ***

Even if you're not. What? You did ask for it
Old 02-02-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

too dangerous to street race with most of the streets around here being 45mph. feels better saving it for the track IMO.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Not saying I don't race but I will NEVER attend an organized street race. If no one's around and no chance of a car pulling in front of me and the opportunity arrises... well... Funny thing is, the only time I've ever almost been in a wreck while racing was at the drag stip. Guy pulled the wheels off the ground and came head-on into my lane since he couldn't control it. If I was about .3 - .4 quicker in my 60', he would've t-boned me.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

cops have pretty much shut down our scene. use to be huge around here. Ive stopped myself, and when i think about it, i was pretty dumb about it. but it was fun at the time. Now i just wait for the track.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by darrensls1
You're a ***

Even if you're not. What? You did ask for it
Damn Darren, you beat me to it!!!!!
Old 02-03-2008, 01:16 AM
Teching In

Very rarely...
Old 02-03-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I built my car to street race. Try and stop me...gotta catch me first.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I quit street racing for a couple of reasons. The stakes just got too high and it wasn't fun anymore. Secondly I had twins and I don't wan t to leave them fatherless over something preventable. Too much stupid crap happens now that causes people to die or go to jail for a really long time. Mostly because it wasn't fun any more though.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
If you still race on the street at least take it to a place where the public isn't around or others driving next to you.
Thanks, mom.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:25 AM
10 Second Club

If I street race, it is from 0-the speed limit.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

that last time i street raced was last year
Old 02-03-2008, 06:27 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jermzz
I built my car to street race. Try and stop me...gotta catch me first.
Can't outrun a police radio.

With with Darren again on this one. No way. Way to much to lose. I have a twin brother who has a 13 second car and is exactly the opposite. He lives in a very small town were his car is one of the faster ones. He loves to race on the streets. I keep encouraging him to go to the track because it is a blast, but he says he doesn't want to ruin his car. I personally think he is afraid of having his 13 second car exposed.
Sure it used to be fun to race on the street when I was younger, but the risks definalty outway the rewards. I don't think I could ever live it down if I hurt or killed someone or the other driver I was racing did.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:04 AM
12 Second Club

All I do is street race, my dad is being a dick and said I cant go to the track so I just take it to the street
Old 02-03-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jp74
Can't outrun a police radio.
A radio is only good if they know where you are. Radios can't keep sight of you. This is such a bs line. I've run on the freeway, city streets, day, night, whatever you can think of. By myself, with groups of people.

Lets face it, those crown vics aren't so fast. As long as you're paying attention like you should be and the man isn't already on your *** before you notice him, they don't have much of a chance. If they're close enough behind you to get your plate, don't even bother. Whatever, I just think you watch too much cops. 9 times out of 10 when I see a cop, I'm a mile away before he can even react. And I can spot those headlights in my rearview half a mile away every time.

*shrug*
Old 02-03-2008, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jermzz
A radio is only good if they know where you are. Radios can't keep sight of you. This is such a bs line. I've run on the freeway, city streets, day, night, whatever you can think of. By myself, with groups of people.

Lets face it, those crown vics aren't so fast. As long as you're paying attention like you should be and the man isn't already on your *** before you notice him, they don't have much of a chance. If they're close enough behind you to get your plate, don't even bother. Whatever, I just think you watch too much cops. 9 times out of 10 when I see a cop, I'm a mile away before he can even react. And I can spot those headlights in my rearview half a mile away every time.

*shrug*
This thread is about how many of us stopped racing on the streets. We all have different reasons. Some because we have families, some because we don't want to get in trouble and some because we are a law enforcement entity. I personally think it's much more fun racing at the track. There are no excuses like "Traction suck" or "If we went longer I would have got you".

By the way, I don't watch to much cops. I have given my fair share of tickets to street racers and show offs, but the majority of the time I tell them to cut the **** and go home, unless they try to run. I was young and reckless too at one time.. You are fortunate that you haven't been caught racing. You should go play the lottery, you seem lucky. Hope you or the person you are racing don't hurt anyway or yourselves. It would be pretty hard to live with IMOP if you were being reckless.

Quick Reply: How many of you stopped racing on the street?