Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LS1 vs LT1

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't consider a chase like that, a kill. He was behind you. He can't launch at the same time you do. He'd rearend you if he did. He has to wait until you've launched and started moving to do anything.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by araber89
Who gives a ****... A wins a win. Hey I don't care that an LS1 makes more power then the LT1. You still have to drive the car. If you can't drive then you won't win races. Maybe the OP can handle a car very well and the other guy couldn't. You don't know. So I say good kill OP!
You're absolutely right. If you can't give an A4 gas then you won't win races. Good thing the OP has a right foot - it's trickier than it looks.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

like I said another thread that goes nowhere...now what was you saying renegade...you were telling us how to drive an automatic...oh whats that...you stick your foot through the floor...oh I see...fun
Old 02-12-2008, 09:47 PM
11 Second Club

Funny thread. LT1's outnumber LS1's like 2 or 3 to 1 in my town. There are a couple built ones running a Pro mod stance that cruise around town. I'd like to get a hold of one of them and see what I've got.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
like I said another thread that goes nowhere...now what was you saying renegade...you were telling us how to drive an automatic...oh whats that...you stick your foot through the floor...oh I see...fun
damn look at this e-thug! haha you must be thuggin around this site 24/7 huh? **** i only post when i have a few free minutes at work, im just not as gangster as you and i cant troll around like that. and thats cool whateverone said but how is the LT1 rated at 285 and the ls1 at 305 from the factory? did they underrate the ls1 that much? cause if its rated 305 from the factory then how does it put down 345 crank? wouldnt that mean the LT put down like 305 or was it not under rated? im confused here. done with all the bullshit i just want to know why they under rated the LS so much if it really is 50 RWHP difference? cause 285-305 is 20 horse and thats crank not even RW.

not tryin to start **** just want a good explanation.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tspence45
I don't consider a chase like that, a kill. He was behind you. He can't launch at the same time you do. He'd rearend you if he did. He has to wait until you've launched and started moving to do anything.
ok well if he really is 50rwhp faster than he should catch me even after giving him a good lead. haha common that doesnt even make any sense. 50 rwhp is like what 57 crank hp more and thats a good amount should be enough to catch and pass me real easy.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Banned

Default just another ?

ok so another quick question? when i checked some of the dyno threads and stuff in each section i noticed there are a few LT1's very close to 400rwhp, around 390 realistically with a cam and full bolt ons. and also some ls1's with the same numbers. so obviously with the same amount of work these motors have very similiar power numbers. is it just that from the factory the lt1 is a dog or something? please someone let me know!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

ls1s are totally redesigned with better flowing heads...thats why they're so much better stock and respond better to mods without aftermarket heads. lt1's had some decent heads towards the end of production and to that end I wouldn't mind having a 96 Vette. Sorry about giving you a hard time...sometimes I just can't help myself...all in good fun
Old 02-13-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm also at work by the way
Old 02-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Banned

yea not harm man, i know we all get a little fussy at work and let it spill out here on the site, personally i do it all the time haha. but i work as a drafter for an engineering firm and i do everything in caps so when i come to post half the time i forget that caps lock is on haha! but honestly man i wanted an LS1 but for the price and deal i got on the LT1 it was a steal, i figure after i get some head work and full bolt on's ill throw a fat cam in this biotch. and plus i like being the under dog. its always a better win when everyone expects you to lose. and heck if you do lose, everyone expected that! also a buddy of mine had a 96 LT1 just like mine just 6 speed with some 411's and that bitch hauled!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Renegade87
ok well if he really is 50rwhp faster than he should catch me even after giving him a good lead. haha common that doesnt even make any sense. 50 rwhp is like what 57 crank hp more and thats a good amount should be enough to catch and pass me real easy.
57 rwhp is not 57 crank hp. i guarantee you only beat him cuz he couldnt drive. good kill none the less
Old 02-13-2008, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

LT1s stock dyno ALOT lower than LS1s stock. My bonestock LT1 dynoed 255 rwhp and 275 rwtq. My bonestock LS1 dynoed 327 rwhp and 342 rwtq. Now granted the LT1 was an A4 and the LS1 was an M6 so its a little higher but not too much. Id give a M6 LT1 around 260-270 rwhp and an average lS1 around 310 so thats 40-50 rwhp difference.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:52 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Renegade87
damn look at this e-thug! haha you must be thuggin around this site 24/7 huh? **** i only post when i have a few free minutes at work, im just not as gangster as you and i cant troll around like that. and thats cool whateverone said but how is the LT1 rated at 285 and the ls1 at 305 from the factory? did they underrate the ls1 that much? cause if its rated 305 from the factory then how does it put down 345 crank? wouldnt that mean the LT put down like 305 or was it not under rated? im confused here. done with all the bullshit i just want to know why they under rated the LS so much if it really is 50 RWHP difference? cause 285-305 is 20 horse and thats crank not even RW.

not tryin to start **** just want a good explanation.
LS1s were severely underrated in the F-bodies in order to make the Corvettes look more appealing. In reality, all LS1s are basically the same power level (within specific years), which is ~350hp at the crank. They routinely put down 290-310rwhp with no mods whatsoever. The LT1 was rated fairly accurately at the crank.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 96ta
57 rwhp is not 57 crank hp. i guarantee you only beat him cuz he couldnt drive. good kill none the less
re read my post i said 50 rwhp is about 57 crank hp. assuming about a 15% drive train loss. but yea like i said if he was really that fast he would have caught me, plus he was toying around punching it and trying to get around me and when we both punched it, it was pretty even. so i am assuming that had we both launched at the same time the winner would have probably been the person who got the whole shot.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
LS1s were severely underrated in the F-bodies in order to make the Corvettes look more appealing. In reality, all LS1s are basically the same power level (within specific years), which is ~350hp at the crank. They routinely put down 290-310rwhp with no mods whatsoever. The LT1 was rated fairly accurately at the crank.
thank you ford guy(cherish that one you wont be hearing many nice things from me ) haha! but thats all i wanted to know and that does make sense. cause for LT1's they were under the vette cause the vet was the LT4 so it was different. but when it came to LS1 it was in both the vette and camaro correct?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Banned

so assuming what you guys have said say an LT and LS both had full bolt ons and the LT had a good intake head port match it should be pretty close if the LS was still running a stock intake and head? please correct me if im wrong. im kinda trying to gauge what i would need to make my LT equal to an LS. cause i really like being able to say my LT just beat your LS haha! even thou that will be a while cause i gotta fix some stuff on my car but eh its a project right!?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

Mod for mod the ls1 usually comes out on top. My Bolt-on Ls1 car motor to motor is faster then my Bolt-on, cammed, stock headed LT1 car was...Maybe with some good heads the lt1 would have been quicker.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slowmofo
Mod for mod the ls1 usually comes out on top. My Bolt-on Ls1 car motor to motor is faster then my Bolt-on, cammed, stock headed LT1 car was...Maybe with some good heads the lt1 would have been quicker.
thats what i was implying with a good port matching of the heads and intake that should cure the top end loss the LT suffers becuase thats what it seems to look like. so really the LT just needs some good heads to be close to equal with the LS1.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Banned

Default also. . .

also a guy in a local car club told me he has a buddy who will port match my intake and heads for 200 total and i was thinking about doing it after i get some long tubes
Old 02-13-2008, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

You missed the part where my lt1 car had a cam. Not all are the same though, I have a friend with a lt1 car that is set up for drag racing, and just bolt-ons for power and alot of suspension work and was running 12.5's all day..tossed a baby cam in and alittle port work was running 11.7's

Now the car is gutted, and with the same stock motor little gasket matching and a 150 shot has ran 10.8's

But its a tin can