Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran a stock 07 350Z tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=contraststriker;8784861]It comes back to displacement--for every one thing you do to a 5.7 it nets you more than a 3.5. Other things are quite obvious--a cam swap is ONE cam in pushrod engines...DOHC cars cost a lot more for that same swap. Smaller engines are going to cost more to mod...hence we don't see as many 400 whp Evo's as f-bodies running around [/QS

Was that supposed to be sarcastic??
Old 02-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by contraststriker
It comes back to displacement--for every one thing you do to a 5.7 it nets you more than a 3.5. Other things are quite obvious--a cam swap is ONE cam in pushrod engines...DOHC cars cost a lot more for that same swap. Smaller engines are going to cost more to mod...hence we don't see as many 400 whp Evo's as f-bodies running around

Maybe for late-model cars.

Take a look at what it takes to do a decent cam swap on an LS1. About 800 bucks when you figure in the valve train parts, not to mention the tune. If you want a top of the line kit its more like 1200. Check out a G5X3 kit sometime. The labor for putting it in is higher in a pushrod car too since its much harder to get to the cam.

Even with the stupid high prices part for part that some companies charge, having half th components on a DOHC 6 or 4 cylinder does have its good points sometimes in terms of price.

Like I said. OHV V8s are the best big power engines on Earth. But others can compete and compete well.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sparetire

Take a look at what it takes to do a decent cam swap on an LS1. About 800 bucks when you figure in the valve train parts, not to mention the tune. If you want a top of the line kit its more like 1200. Check out a G5X3 kit sometime. The labor for putting it in is higher in a pushrod car too since its much harder to get to the cam.

Even with the stupid high prices part for part that some companies charge, having half th components on a DOHC 6 or 4 cylinder does have its good points sometimes in terms of price.

Like I said. OHV V8s are the best big power engines on Earth. But others can compete and compete well.
anything can compete if you have enough $'s. The point is a lot more people are going to be able to afford making a f-body fast and its potiential is just as high if not higher than any other car out there and they hold up extremely well. It is so easy to hit 400+hp with these cars. Thats why we all love them Right??? that and they're just so damn sexy...LOL
Old 02-24-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whats the easiest way to tell the newer 07+ models from the older ones? I always assumed its from the nicer wheels and the bulge on the hood? Maybe the rear fender wells are a little wider too I think?

Anyways, I recently ran one with the bulge on the hood. He came running up through traffic all fast and slowed down when he came upon me like he wanted to run. He took off first and I hit it (60, so i threw it in 2nd) I pulled him so hard, the race only lasted a couple seconds then he let out for embarrasment I guess. He wouldnt catch back up with me, even when I slowed down. Im guessing that he couldnt really tell how loud my car was when he rolled up on me, as I was just cruising part throttle, so he probably had no idea. **** still had paper plates on it.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LivingCanvas
Whats the easiest way to tell the newer 07+ models from the older ones? I always assumed its from the nicer wheels and the bulge on the hood? Maybe the rear fender wells are a little wider too I think?

Anyways, I recently ran one with the bulge on the hood. He came running up through traffic all fast and slowed down when he came upon me like he wanted to run. He took off first and I hit it (60, so i threw it in 2nd) I pulled him so hard, the race only lasted a couple seconds then he let out for embarrasment I guess. He wouldnt catch back up with me, even when I slowed down. Im guessing that he couldnt really tell how loud my car was when he rolled up on me, as I was just cruising part throttle, so he probably had no idea. **** still had paper plates on it.
The 07's Have that bulge on the hood......other than that they look the same as the older ones. My moms got an 07 350z...don't be fooled they really are quick cars....Id take an LS1 any day of the week over it though, the 350z's lack that tourqe and that bang you back seat of your pants way!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

Wait, are you saying that cars with more displacement and live axles and decades more drag racing aftermarket supprt and R&D are better drag cars overall? No way. It cant be.

We all already know that.

But honestly, do you think every single FI 350Z is on that list? The general point being made here I think is that 350Zs have gotten a lot better from their initial power level, never mind the factory ratings.
Tell you what, go compare to how many F-bodies are in the 9s and 10s and go find more 350Zs that are. ANY car is faster with FI and they have hardly gotten "a lot" better from the factory. It's a shared platform with a shared motor that happens to handle well, that's it.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Tell you what, go compare to how many F-bodies are in the 9s and 10s and go find more 350Zs that are. ANY car is faster with FI and they have hardly gotten "a lot" better from the factory. It's a shared platform with a shared motor that happens to handle well, that's it.
Go see how many F-bodies are in the 6's with a factory based block! Not an iron block that didnt come with the chassis, but a factory based aluminum 5.7 liter block. There are a couple 350z's in the 6's trapping over 215mph, with roughly 3.8 liters of displacement.

From 2003-2007, the 350z has progressed tremendously. I consider this a more dramatic improvement over the L98-LT1-LS1 series motors. I consider the 350z quick, same as an evo, ls1, m3, etc...
Old 02-25-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TORNATIC!!
Well a friend of mine in his '07 350Z happens to have the fastest E.T. and mph stock. He goes by "VeeTec" on all the forums. His best E.T. is 13.1 and mph 107. They're definitely a force to be reckoned with a good driver.

Here's there 1/4 list. Scroll to the bottom and it'll show you stock '07 times:

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233840
I think I know him... I met him a few times at GTO meets here in Valdosta.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:34 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Go compare how many people buy F-bodies just to make them fast in a straightline, compared to how many people buy 350Zs for the same reason... that comparo is retarded
Old 02-25-2008, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Go compare how many people buy F-bodies just to make them fast in a straightline, compared to how many people buy 350Zs for the same reason... that comparo is retarded
You are spot on in every post. F-bodies are gay and slow and everything else is better.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
I think I know him... I met him a few times at GTO meets here in Valdosta.
Yeah his name is Warren and he originally had a '03 daytona blue Z at the Ga vs Fla shootout 2. Now he has the darker blue '07 Z and at the last Ga vs Fal shootout is where he ran that 13.2 at 107 down at SGMP.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by suprastars
Go see how many F-bodies are in the 6's with a factory based block! Not an iron block that didnt come with the chassis, but a factory based aluminum 5.7 liter block. There are a couple 350z's in the 6's trapping over 215mph, with roughly 3.8 liters of displacement.

From 2003-2007, the 350z has progressed tremendously. I consider this a more dramatic improvement over the L98-LT1-LS1 series motors. I consider the 350z quick, same as an evo, ls1, m3, etc...
And where are these imagineary 350Z's running 6's?? I've heard some bullshit before but you're over the top.

350Z's running 6's on stock engines....

And somehow the 350Z, which has used the same pile of **** VQ engine since it was introduced, has "progressed" more than GM did going from the L98 Gen I small block to the LS1 Gen III V8, which are completely different engine and share no parts?? Lay off the drugs, seriously.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LivingCanvas
Bulge on hood, and if you manage to fall behind one (!) look for LED tail lights.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by suprastars
At that level of racing, who gives a **** if it's a factory stock block or not. As long as the overall architecture is the same (c5r=ls1 on roids).

That's where I start seeing a big difference between import and domestic guys. You import guys are all about 'stock this, stock that' with your vastly over-engineered factory motors. Most of the domestic guys I know don't give a ****. Run whatcha' brung.

And yes, there are a couple 350z's in the 6's. Just like there are a couple lsx cars in the 6's.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:45 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
You are spot on in every post. F-bodies are gay and slow and everything else is better.
I love F-bodies, where the **** have you been? But I still have the ability to see things for what they are and aren't, and they aren't sports cars. They can be made to handle really well... for a car with a live rear axle. But the majority of people that modify them, do so with straightline performance as their top priority. Just like Mustangs.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:54 PM
10 Second Club

I bet you find more push rod motors racing than ohv motors!!
Old 02-25-2008, 04:56 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by odarabla
I bet you find more push rod motors racing than ohv motors!!
Um... huh?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
Bulge on hood, and if you manage to fall behind one (!) look for LED tail lights.
2006 Z's also have LED taillights--the only 2007 exterior difference is the hood really. It's awesome how vehemently everyone defends the LS1, as they should since it's an amazing engine. Whoever said the engine for the 07 hasn't changed from 2006 is a dumbass, however. To say the Z's engine is crap is ludicrous. Yeah. 308 hp out of 3.5 NATURALLY ASPIRATED liters IS crap. Honestly, are you that stupid
Old 02-25-2008, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chadder
That's where I start seeing a big difference between import and domestic guys. You import guys are all about 'stock this, stock that' with your vastly over-engineered factory motors. Most of the domestic guys I know don't give a ****. Run whatcha' brung.
Actually, they are NOT about pure stock vs. pure stock because they KNOW they will lose!! (EVEN, more times than not, in the case of their 'insurmountable/unbeatable' MKIV TT.)

They just pick the ONE area where some of the Nippon product is strong (the stock block, long block, or bottom ends depending on which make/model) and harp on/go to town with that.

Like you said WHO GIVES A F***???!!!

IF it's not an off the showroom floor to off the showroom floor comparison, then EVERYTHING else is out the f'ing window
Old 02-25-2008, 05:54 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Actually, they are NOT about pure stock vs. pure stock because they KNOW they will lose!! (EVEN, more times than not, in the case of their 'insurmountable/unbeatable' MKIV TT.)

They just pick the ONE area where some of the Nippon product is strong (the stock block, long block, or bottom ends depending on which make/model) and harp on/go to town with that.

Like you said WHO GIVES A F***???!!!

IF it's not an off the showroom floor to off the showroom floor comparison, then EVERYTHING else is out the f'ing window
All I EVER see you type is "blah blah blah if you like/respect one import you're not American blah blah blah." Doesn't it ever get old for YOU too?

Quick Reply: Ran a stock 07 350Z tonight.