Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Formy vs. GTP

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formy vs. GTP

I was going down Mannheim road last night at about 10:30. It was about 10 degrees outside. I was jammin to some tunes when a red Grand Prix GTP (97-03) flies by me. He gets stuck at the red light and I come up next to him. Its some dude with his g/f just staring at me. Were about 150ft away from an uphill bridge. The light turns green and I roll out slowly. He does the same and then punches it and jumps out about a car length and a half before I nail it from about 10mph. Well that speed apparently wasn't enough for traction with my all season tires. I stayed layed into it and I passed him will I was spinning. We hit the uphill part of the bridge when I finally hooked and I was gone. I took it about to about 80 and he was nothin but headlights in the rear view. Easily 2.5-3.5 lengths ahead. I finished going over the bridge and slowed down to about 40 in a 35 and the GTP coasted past me and never slowed down. I am assuming he was stock because the exhaust looked stock. I couldn't hear **** from his car because WOT with the cutout open and music blasting pretty much drowns everything out. Mediocre kill, but a fun race in the cold.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Teching In

ive had a majority of my runs from grand prixs and avalanches lol. they dont make the best kill stories but are fun now and then.
good kill
Old 02-22-2008, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I won't even try when its only 40 degrees outside with anyone. I've had a couple Grand prix GXP V8's want a piece and they take off but its too dangerous for me as I tried once and almost lost it at 60 MPH in 3rd gear when I went straight to redline smoking the tires.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

Nice kill, they're not a whole lot in stock form, but watch out after a few bolt on's. I had a 97 GTP that was cam'd and other little **** and it ran a 13.6 here, stock LS1's run high 13's to low 14's here. It was definatly a fun mustang killer!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

GTP's can be made into 12 sec cars easily and cheaply. ntm though they have no topend of anykind. they get to full power at low rpm and reach it quickly. they run better times than ls1s with the same wheel HP. as long as they have some real good meat upfront.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

yea, my friend has one with just a catback, 3.4 pulley, and intake. It moves out pretty good for such few mods...
Old 02-22-2008, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

hmmm...you guys are giving me a good idea for my new tax time dd
Old 02-22-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

www.clubgp.com its kinda like a sister site to here. 3 grand makes a NA GP a 12 sec car easily. with the dang car tuning turbo setup. get the IC raise the boost a little more get some stickier tires and your running low 12's. its funny because they Still have horrible top end. but the 3.8 reaches its peak power so early.

i dont understand why v6 camaro and birds never got as popular with modding. because Grand prix's have a huge aftermarket.

3.4 pulley and few mods put them in mid high 13s. while when they drop to a 3.2 pulley they break into ls1 territory then. as far as 1/4 time is concerned. but they do have to do alot of smaller mods to keep KR down. to support higher boost.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
but they do have to do alot of smaller mods to keep KR down. to support higher boost.
very true man. they are nice rides and the 3.8L is a good motor i mean check its history it has placed in the top 10 best engines for like 15 years running. and sadly they are discontinuing it soon if they havent already i cant remember exactly when they were doing it.

but there is a guy in a local car club that ive rolled out with a few times rockin a 97 GTP with a smaller pullie bigger injectors headers and a few other goodies and that thing moves! on the freeway it holds its own too, now i agree with everyone there top end is not the greatest but its not too shabby. the 3.8 is more of a torque moster not soo much hp.