Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI 3pt SFC's

Old 12-15-2008, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up UMI 3pt SFC's

Just installed my UMI 3pt bolt in SFC's today and took the car for a ride. I have been a skeptic for years--I have read several threads that our cars don't need it, or that it increases vibrations throughout the car. Others have mentioned that they could not feel a difference when they installed SFC's on their car. Because of these threads I held off on taking the plunge.

Here's my personal take on subframe connectors:

Why the hell did I wait 8 years to put a set on my car!?! These things are great!! I was having a problem with traction.......first gear was totally worthless on street tires. With the subframe connectors installed I can get through first gear with minimal/acceptable tire spin. This alone was worth the money!! It didn't stop there for me. The car definitely feels more solid and smooth going down the road. On the highway I used to have a vibration at 65-75, it's gone!! I am definitely happy with them! I'm not a big corner carving/handling person but cornering has seemed to tighten up as well. Another noteworthy mention is that when a loss of traction occurs the car is a lot more controllable and tracks straighter.

Just my own $.02
Old 12-15-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

great info here, im also looking to get some 3pts for my car as well... did u get the tubular or boxed?
Old 12-15-2008, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

I have the tubular. Couldn't be happier with them! I've spent 115,000 miles behind the wheel of my car, so I am quite accustomed to my car's road manners and can attest that in my case they made quite a difference!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you do the install yourself?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, it was easy and straightforward. Took about 45 mins.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just use jackstands?
Old 12-15-2008, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

Front on ramps, rear on jackstands. I measured from two points on the car, one on the front bumper to the ground and the second one on the rear bumper to the ground. I then drove the front up on ramps. After the front was on the ramps I jacked the back up to where both bumpers measured the same increase in difference from the ground. The front was 8.5" higher so I jacked the rear up 8.5" to match. The rear has to hang in order to get the control arm bolts out and to bolt the back of the SFC's on. For that the rear will have to be supported with jackstands on the frame rails. To torque down the bolts and have an equal load the rear end will have to be supported with jack stands.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Bro!
Old 12-15-2008, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

hmm lil bit of incintive to install mine, been sitting behind my couch for a few weeks now
Old 12-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Launching!

i have the same sfc's and they are a very nice piece/upgrade. everything 2kta-89formula says is pretty much dead on what i would say. glad your happy with them.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive had those sitting in my garage since august. havent had times to install because of college. ill be installing this week, and thats good to know about traction. even from a roll i cant get much past 50% throttle in first.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i like em too. much better than having a wet noddle feeling subframe.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent to hear.. I am glad to hear you are pleased with the fit and performance.

Thanks for running a UMI product

Regards,
Ryan
Old 12-16-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Yep Yep Yep!

Welcome to the dark side!

Now, get some LCA relocation brackets, some adjustable LCAs, an adjustable PR bar, an adjustable TA (set at -3.5 degrees!)...

Well, whatever you do - even if it's just replacing all the rubber bushings with poly - you'll notice a BIG difference!

Originally Posted by 2kta--89formula
Just installed my UMI 3pt bolt in SFC's today and took the car for a ride. I have been a skeptic for years--I have read several threads that our cars don't need it, or that it increases vibrations throughout the car. Others have mentioned that they could not feel a difference when they installed SFC's on their car. Because of these threads I held off on taking the plunge.

Here's my personal take on subframe connectors:

Why the hell did I wait 8 years to put a set on my car!?! These things are great!! I was having a problem with traction.......first gear was totally worthless on street tires. With the subframe connectors installed I can get through first gear with minimal/acceptable tire spin. This alone was worth the money!! It didn't stop there for me. The car definitely feels more solid and smooth going down the road. On the highway I used to have a vibration at 65-75, it's gone!! I am definitely happy with them! I'm not a big corner carving/handling person but cornering has seemed to tighten up as well. Another noteworthy mention is that when a loss of traction occurs the car is a lot more controllable and tracks straighter.

Just my own $.02
Old 12-16-2008, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

It's nice to hear people's experiences with these. I'll be buying UMI SFCs in the near future
Old 12-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Launching!

I have the same one's and love them. Should be the first thing everyone does to their car.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

I installed mine about 3 years ago. what a difference they made. just as discribed previously here... I have UMI 3pt bolt on sfc's finaly had them welded this past summer cause I didn't want the bolt holes to longate. I recommend for any F-Body owners to install UMI SFC's. even if it's stock car......
Old 12-16-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ did u notice a difference once welded? was it loose at all when they were welded?
Old 12-16-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is great to hear. I just ordered the same thing for mine. I had been putting it off as long as possible but since my T-Top conversion I can definitely tell that the car is twisting quite a bit more. And now I think it's twisting so much that my doors are starting to mis-align. I have a feeling these will significantly help these issues. Can't wait!
Old 12-16-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lotus289
This is great to hear. I just ordered the same thing for mine. I had been putting it off as long as possible but since my T-Top conversion I can definitely tell that the car is twisting quite a bit more. And now I think it's twisting so much that my doors are starting to mis-align. I have a feeling these will significantly help these issues. Can't wait!
With stock, or near stock power these chassis do not twist anywhere near enough to make your doors mis-align. The problem is the weak door supports for the huge heavy doors, your chassis is perfectly strait, your doors hinges are bending causing the mis-align (probably from being open for a long period of time).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UMI 3pt SFC's