Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wilwood SL 6 piston VS Brembo CTS-V 4piston

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wilwood SL 6 piston VS Brembo CTS-V 4piston

I'm about to upgrade my LS1 SS brakes sytem and have a little problem. Stock brakes right now, but I have a wilwood SL 6 piston set-up. I also have the brembo cts-v set up. My question is which set-up should I go with? Which one do you guys think might be better? As for rims I have 18s C5Z06. thanks for any help
Old 01-27-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/

I don't know if you are familiar with this website, you may find threads on this site that have come up with this question.

frrax = f-body road racing autox, so there is a LOT of knowledge there.

Chances are, you're going to get great reviews on Wilwoods by folks who have Wilwoods, and great reviews from f-body owners who have the CTS-V setup(but I don't think there are many, if ANY, f-body owners who converted to toe CTS-V brakes.).

I could be wrong though.

you'll hear folks who say that the C5 brake conversion is great, Wilwood's are great, Baer's are great, AP Racing's are great, Brembo's are great...

take note with the folks who have had the above and who changed theirs to the Wilwood's or the CTS-V brakes.

Good luck!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Cts-v

I am working on CTS-V brakes right now.

Waiting on SS brake lines, will post more when i am done.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I have both sets but do you guys think one is better than the other?
Old 01-28-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, see, I don't know what you have exactly, but I can tell you what I have, which is the Wilwood 6-piston fronts with 2-pc 13" rotors, unsprung weight savings is about 17 lbs lighter than stock. Stopping power is OUTSTANDING compared to factory. rotors are far superior to factory rotors, not to mention that they're a lot lighter.

I don't know if your CTS-V setup has 2-pc rotors, I'm ASSuming you would have to make brackets for the CTS-V calipers to fit. do u also have the CTS-V rotors as well???
Old 01-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
Well, see, I don't know what you have exactly, but I can tell you what I have, which is the Wilwood 6-piston fronts with 2-pc 13" rotors, unsprung weight savings is about 17 lbs lighter than stock. Stopping power is OUTSTANDING compared to factory. rotors are far superior to factory rotors, not to mention that they're a lot lighter.

I don't know if your CTS-V setup has 2-pc rotors, I'm ASSuming you would have to make brackets for the CTS-V calipers to fit. do u also have the CTS-V rotors as well???

With the CTS-V Calipers (04-08). We use the C6 Z06 front brake rotors 14", b/c the caddys are 6 lugs and f-bodys are 5 lug the caddy rotors will not work. so the new vettes are also 5 lug.
also the "bracket" is apart of the caliper its a 1 piece fixed caliper.
the CTS-V calipers are direct bolt on (2 or 4 washers are need to space the caliper around the rotor) then theres the issure of the caddy calipers clearing the spokes of the wheels, since the caddy calipers are very "WIDE". i have 4 - C5 Z06 18x10.5 and still need 1/4 clearance so i am gonna have to use a spacer with the wheels to get the spokes out away from the caliper. Then caddy brake lines are needed b/c f-body brake lines are not long enough to reach when turing the wheels.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:28 PM
12 Second Club

Just do the Wilwood SL6's and bolt it right on the car, bed the brakes, and your ready to rock ! I have the SL6's up-front and the 4 pistons in the rear and this car stops incredibly well. My vote, obviously Wilwood
Old 01-29-2009, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camcamaro1991
With the CTS-V Calipers (04-08). We use the C6 Z06 front brake rotors 14", b/c the caddys are 6 lugs and f-bodys are 5 lug the caddy rotors will not work. so the new vettes are also 5 lug.
also the "bracket" is apart of the caliper its a 1 piece fixed caliper.
the CTS-V calipers are direct bolt on (2 or 4 washers are need to space the caliper around the rotor) then theres the issure of the caddy calipers clearing the spokes of the wheels, since the caddy calipers are very "WIDE". i have 4 - C5 Z06 18x10.5 and still need 1/4 clearance so i am gonna have to use a spacer with the wheels to get the spokes out away from the caliper. Then caddy brake lines are needed b/c f-body brake lines are not long enough to reach when turing the wheels.
Hmmmm, I have the C6Z06 rotors. Maybe I will try to find a set of the CTS-V calipers and see of those will clear my C6 Z06 wheels. That is cool that they bolt right up to the F-Body knuckle without adapter brackets. I'd rather not run spacers for the wheels though and they were VERY tight with the C6Z06 calipers. Hence I did not put them on the car as I'd rather not run a spacer if I don't have to. I'd like to mock it up and see how it all fits though....

Quick Reply: Wilwood SL 6 piston VS Brembo CTS-V 4piston