Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rod or Bushing End LCA's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rod or Bushing End LCA's?

I'm looking to get a pair of UMI LCA's but I don't know which set to get, the bushing/bushing ends, rod/bushing ends, or rod/rod ends. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the rod and bushing ends? Its a street car that will see the track every now and again.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:47 PM
10 Second Club

I would try a search. I just went through this myself and a search will help you out alot more than a few guys that are on here tonights opinion. Hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

so you went through this yourself but didnt feel like offering your opinion? tried the search but will attempt another
Old 06-03-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

alright i got a lot of info on the pros and cons of poly bushing ends, but I havn't gotten any cons of the rod end other than more noise and the pro that they dont bind. dont they wear out and need replacing every so often? if so is it easy to replace a rod end on an LCA, how often would this need to be done, and how much would this cost? thanks.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Imo, take a look at J&M LCAs, or DKT with the Johnny Joint ends.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:30 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BlackBirds
I'm looking to get a pair of UMI LCA's but I don't know which set to get, the bushing/bushing ends, rod/bushing ends, or rod/rod ends. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the rod and bushing ends? Its a street car that will see the track every now and again.
Hello
I noticed that you are interested in a set of our lower control arms! But just can not decide on which set to get! I will be more than glad to give you an example of each control arm. If you are going to be using it as a daily driver and it will see the track a handful of times a year you will be perfectly fine with the poly bushings either the non adjustable (2015-2018) Or if you use it as a street and strip car I would suggest going with the poly/rod end (2016)! You will still have the quality of a poly on the chassis and the rod end on the rear end will hold up better than the poly. And if the vehicle is a race car we also have a rod/rod (2017-2017OF) They will have a harsher ride on the street due to the rod ends but if it is a race car you are not looking for ride quality you are looking for performance. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-03-2009, 07:45 AM
TECH Junkie

We went round and round on this subject (in a fairly long thread) a couple of years ago. The conversation included a moderator who's handle escapes me. I don't recall the title of the thread, but I will offer the conclusions we reached:
1) AFA as each end type is concerned, poly ends are quiet, but tend to bind up. Rod ends can be noisy if not properly maintained, but allow articulation (movement in the correct axes).
2) As UMI stated, rod/rod can be noisy, and should be considered race only (unless you like clunky vehicles).
3) Poly/poly will be the quietest, but will bind up. Basically no improvement over stock.
4) Poly/rod offers the best of both worlds. The rod end, bolted to the chassis, allows articulation. The poly end, bolted to the body, quiets the ride. This is what I have and the mod finally admitted this is what he uses also.
5) Rod ends need to be lubricated periodically. It seems that lubing them every oil change will make them last the longest.
6) Rod ends will wear out eventually. They can be replaced and it is not that difficult to do. Once you have them in your hand you will understand.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
We went round and round on this subject (in a fairly long thread) a couple of years ago. The conversation included a moderator who's handle escapes me. I don't recall the title of the thread, but I will offer the conclusions we reached:
1) AFA as each end type is concerned, poly ends are quiet, but tend to bind up. Rod ends can be noisy if not properly maintained, but allow articulation (movement in the correct axes).
2) As UMI stated, rod/rod can be noisy, and should be considered race only (unless you like clunky vehicles).
3) Poly/poly will be the quietest, but will bind up. Basically no improvement over stock.
4) Poly/rod offers the best of both worlds. The rod end, bolted to the chassis, allows articulation. The poly end, bolted to the body, quiets the ride. This is what I have and the mod finally admitted this is what he uses also.
5) Rod ends need to be lubricated periodically. It seems that lubing them every oil change will make them last the longest.
6) Rod ends will wear out eventually. They can be replaced and it is not that difficult to do. Once you have them in your hand you will understand.
Hope this helps.
+1 From all the reading I have done on this.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Hope this helps.

i dont agree. two years ago there was old **** on the market. now there is new stuff.

6LE sells a polyrod end that is the ****. 99Bluz28 has it on his car. ask him. and they totally go against every thing you say up there ^^^

this joint is quit. yet articulates. is poly but dont bind. is a rod end but doesnt have to be replaced(well the hole joint. you just replace the bushing about every 5 year)

to BlackBirds. look at this link. it is the J joint. and they are the ****. it will pay for itself the first time you have to replace rod ends. rod ends are about 40 bucks each(for the good ones) and need repalced every one to two years on a street car.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackBirds
so you went through this yourself but didnt feel like offering your opinion? tried the search but will attempt another
Considering this question was asked 10 times on the last 2 pages of this section I did not think I needed too. I was just trying to help. This entire subject is too opinionated. Some guys are cool with the clunking others are not. Which are you??
Old 06-03-2009, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Like Brad has mentioned I would recommend poly on at least one end or better yet both ends for a vehicle seeing a lot street use. The are quieter, softer and last longer. If the car saw a lot of track time then the rod ends would be more beneficial.

If you need additional information please don't hesitate to contact us and thanks for considering a UMI product!

Ryan
Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
i dont agree. two years ago there was old **** on the market. now there is new stuff.

6LE sells a polyrod end that is the ****. 99Bluz28 has it on his car. ask him. and they totally go against every thing you say up there ^^^

this joint is quiet. yet articulates. is poly but doesn't bind. is a rod end but doesn't have to be replaced(well the hole joint. you just replace the bushing about every 5 years)

to BlackBirds. look at this link. it is the J joint. and they are the ****. it will pay for itself the first time you have to replace rod ends. rod ends are about 40 bucks each(for the good ones) and need repalced every one to two years on a street car.
Hehe. I guess if the question was rod end vs poly end vs polyrod end, your argument might have validity. Polyrod ends were never mentioned, so I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with. Supposing that it was mentioned, everything you stated supports what I said. The poly part of it is quiet, the rod part of it articulates. Exactly what I said.
There is also another type which has been attempting to break into the mainstream as well, but has not made it in the last four years of attempts.
Fortunately for us, technology almost always advances. Perhaps once this new type has some mileage and some user feedback (more than a sample size of one) it can enter into the debate.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Banned

what do you mean once the new type has some mieage on it?

if you mean the polyrod like i was talking about. well tat has been around for years. ask currie.

and my car has about 10K on it with them and there is a local guy with close two 30K on it.

they are around. just not on this forum. which doesnt help my point. just stating they are around.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for your input guys, I think I'm going to go with the poly/rod type.

Quick Reply: Rod or Bushing End LCA's?