Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-13-2016, 02:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

CTS-V Brake Install w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stage274
Um... Dont use the z06 discs... Use the 2010 camaro discs instead... Also, yes the pads will fit, because I used the same ones... The vette disc, need to be shimmed, and the contact area is not 100% correct.
Ok thanks boss. Yeah its zzperformance_esales on eBay. Dont want to post a non sponsor link. But I'm mentioning him so you know what I'm talking about. And ok great I will use the 2010 Camaro discs. Are they also 13.97" or whatever the measurement is? 2010 Camaro ss is what I should look up when getting the brake rotors? I want to go with powerstop rotors and use the pads that come with the eBay kit. I was gonna do six piston but changed my mind and it seems like looking for brembo brakes is hard because they only come on certain trims and some places consider them aftermarket. Pep Boys didn't have the 09+ cts-v rotors and I dont think they have the 04-07 ctsv rotors either for the 4piston brembos. I was cross checking the measurements and they said it fit but the sizes on the site were way too small. So what I did was looked up the part #s for the powerstop kits/parts on powerstop website and matched it to the parts on pep boys. I have a 35% coupon for pep boys and autoanything also sends me a lot of coupons. So I think im gonna get the powerstop part # for 2010 Camaro ss rotors from the powerstop site. Then search that in pep boys and order the rotors. Then get em machined for the hub. Thanks for your help dude let me know if I said anything you'd do differently.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeyofblades
Ok thanks boss. Yeah its zzperformance_esales on eBay. Dont want to post a non sponsor link. But I'm mentioning him so you know what I'm talking about. And ok great I will use the 2010 Camaro discs. Are they also 13.97" or whatever the measurement is? 2010 Camaro ss is what I should look up when getting the brake rotors? I want to go with powerstop rotors and use the pads that come with the eBay kit. I was gonna do six piston but changed my mind and it seems like looking for brembo brakes is hard because they only come on certain trims and some places consider them aftermarket. Pep Boys didn't have the 09+ cts-v rotors and I dont think they have the 04-07 ctsv rotors either for the 4piston brembos. I was cross checking the measurements and they said it fit but the sizes on the site were way too small. So what I did was looked up the part #s for the powerstop kits/parts on powerstop website and matched it to the parts on pep boys. I have a 35% coupon for pep boys and autoanything also sends me a lot of coupons. So I think im gonna get the powerstop part # for 2010 Camaro ss rotors from the powerstop site. Then search that in pep boys and order the rotors. Then get em machined for the hub. Thanks for your help dude let me know if I said anything you'd do differently.

Yeah, I bought my brakes from him... 4 piston are super cheap, and works just as well. Some people have problems with the 6 piston.

I could not be happier doing the brakes.. Really worked well!! Yeah, get the camaro disc, and call kor for the brake line kit...
Old 06-19-2015, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

KORE3 actually has the lines in stock now...! Just ordered them. stage it's good to know that you used the same guy's pads for your setup with 2010 ss rotors. now i feel confident buying his kit on ebay.

Here is the rotors I am going to buy: AR8680XPR
http://www.powerstop.com/product/pow...L%20SS%20Model

Look good? Size verified at 13.99" approximately.

Edit: what about the 04-07 cts-v rotors? Do they have correct pad contact? And do they need to be machined?

Last edited by Joeyofblades; 06-19-2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:20 AM
Launching!

KORE3 actually has the lines in stock now...! Just ordered them. stage it's good to know that you used the same guy's pads for your setup with 2010 ss rotors. now i feel confident buying his kit on ebay.

Here is the rotors I am going to buy: AR8680XPR
http://www.powerstop.com/product/pow...L%20SS%20Model

Look good? Size verified at 13.99" approximately.

Edit: what about the 04-07 cts-v rotors? Do they have correct pad contact? And do they need to be machined?

Yeah, I thought it was a good deal! I drove the car again last night, pretty hard. I have no complaints!! I am not afraid to hammer the brakes if I have too either. I was easy on the stock brakes, because they are too easy to warp.
The 18 in wheels also feel great on the F body. The truth is, you really get another car.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:53 AM
On The Tree

Hmm I'm going to ask around about the v rotors and see if there any way I can have 100% pad contact without taking a day off of work just to go get rotors machined. The machine shops around here aren't cheap and one said he'd need "a couple of days" to do the job. But I don't want to get the z06 rotors and have goofy pad contact.

EDIT: The V rotors are six lug. No wonder no one has tried them lol. Guess I'll call other machine shops and see who can do the rotors for less than $60/rotor. What a rip off. And a few days... Its a 30min job for a machinist who knows what he a doing. I swear, I don't know how some places are still in business...

Last edited by Joeyofblades; 06-20-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Hmm I'm going to ask around about the v rotors and see if there any way I can have 100% pad contact without taking a day off of work just to go get rotors machined. The machine shops around here aren't cheap and one said he'd need "a couple of days" to do the job. But I don't want to get the z06 rotors and have goofy pad contact.

EDIT: The V rotors are six lug. No wonder no one has tried them lol. Guess I'll call other machine shops and see who can do the rotors for less than $60/rotor. What a rip off. And a few days... Its a 30min job for a machinist who knows what he a doing. I swear, I don't know how some places are still in business...

Dude, no... You need the 2010 discs...

It cost me 50$ to have them machined, some payed 20 bucks.. Its not a big deal... Find a shop..
Old 06-21-2015, 06:36 AM
On The Tree

Should you grease the back of the pads where the pistons contact? I know there's no slide pins to grease now (looked at a friend's setup yesterday and learned how to use the pins/clip - wow expensive brakes are easy to put together).
Old 06-21-2015, 09:39 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So if someone has the 4-piston brembos already mounted, is it a direct swap to the 6-piston V2 version?
Old 06-21-2015, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
So if someone has the 4-piston brembos already mounted, is it a direct swap to the 6-piston V2 version?
No, the lines are different and you need to drill out the mounting holes and use bigger bolts. New rotors, pads, calipers of course. Even coming from other brembos it's a chore. xD
Old 06-26-2015, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

What torque specs for caliper bracket bolt/caliper mounting bolt for these new calipers? Can't find a sticky or anything on here
Old 06-26-2015, 06:06 PM
Launching!

What torque specs for caliper bracket bolt/caliper mounting bolt for these new calipers? Can't find a sticky or anything on here
Honestly I just torque the caliper by hand. Only used a torque specs on the wheels.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 piston rear Brembos

I have seen a few people ask but no reply's... Does any one know where to buy or have the rear bracket made to bolt on the 4 piston Brembos in the rear??

I know Luke Skaff has some drawings but don't know if some one sells these or even who will make them..
Old 06-28-2015, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stage274
Honestly I just torque the caliper by hand. Only used a torque specs on the wheels.
I ended up using blue loctite and 96 ft lbs as per the 2004 CTS-V's caliper mounting bolt spec specified by Cadillac.

Originally Posted by Badss70
I have seen a few people ask but no reply's... Does any one know where to buy or have the rear bracket made to bolt on the 4 piston Brembos in the rear??

I know Luke Skaff has some drawings but don't know if some one sells these or even who will make them..
http://www.bigbrakeupgrade.com/Rear_Brake_Kits.html

In other news, this upgrade as a pain in the *** for me. The new lines from KORE3 had too long of a fitting (longer than stock) on the end that connects to the hard line, so we had to move the bracket that sits between hard line and hose further away from the hard line in order for them to come together evenly. Initially we tried bending it but then the angle was off. So we marked a spot on the bracket and drilled a new hole through it, and used a nut/bolt and red loctite on the factory hole in the frame to hold it to the new hole we drilled into the bracket. This rotated the bracket out to not be so close to the hard line and it went in flawlessly. Also a pain was drilling a hole into the frame so the little "nub" on the bracket had something to go into... it's just a little angled tab that grabs onto the edge of the hole. Luckily I was at a shop and we had Dremel stuff to use. I'm not sure if this problem happens with flynbye lines... apparently not since the write up doesn't mention it... unless I just have weird 1998 brake lines that everyone else doesn't... but beware of this if you are buying KORE3 lines and I do NOT recommend buying lines from them... their lines were engineered in a way that made me have to take extra steps as described above to fabricate the bracket to allow the hard line and hose to connect... The lines themselves are great quality and all but if you're doing this upgrade, especially if you're not experienced with drilling new holes in stuff and have multiple tools that can drill tight spaces... get the flynbye lines, as I can't speak for them but OP of this thread and many others have not had the problem I just had... I can only speak for the KORE3 lines and what I had to do above for an extra 2 hours of fabrication to make it work. =/

Last edited by Joeyofblades; 06-28-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Flynbye is closed i believe, when i ordered from them i got no communication for two weeks and had to file a Paypal claim to get a refund. did you contact Kore3 about your lines not working right? we didn't have to modify anything to use them on my '94.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by formula218
Flynbye is closed i believe, when i ordered from them i got no communication for two weeks and had to file a Paypal claim to get a refund. did you contact Kore3 about your lines not working right? we didn't have to modify anything to use them on my '94.
I was with an actual mechanic and we had my brakes off already. So no, we didn't stop and give up and put everything back. We drilled a new hole in the bracket for the bolt/nut and drilled a hole in the frame (using several air tools around the shop, may I add...) for the ear of the bracket to sit into. Red loctite was applied.

Then everything was a bolt up and a brake bleed. He was psyched and so was I. Then his dad showed up and was pissed. We acted like nothing happened but being a master mechanic he saw the rotors were untouched underneath the wheels and probably figured it out. That, or the gallon of brake fluid we spilled on his shop floor. Lmao!

Why did this happen to me? Because 1998? Because base model trans am? Because something else? No one else has had this problem.

Last edited by Joeyofblades; 06-28-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My God, i didnt know http://www.bigbrakeupgrade.com/Rear_Brake_Kits.html existed.. Thank you!

FYI I was one of the lucky ones whom bought from Flynbye 3 months ago...he is still open but takes FOREVER to ship the items. If you have the patience the items are top notch.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Sure, no problem. It's pricey as you can see. Rear brakes aren't something that concern me so ill leave my 18s unfilled in the back and my monstrous brakes up front.

I only blame KORE3 for making the fitting on the end of the hose to thread over the hard line longer than stock. Had it been the same length, I'd have had no problems at all and been able to attach the hose to the line right away. But trying to push the hard line back enough to give the fitting on the hose enough room to come through the bracket enough so it would sit in the bracket and we could put the u-shaped clip on there to hold it in place wasn't working (cant really move a hard line). So if the flare on the hard line was shorter it would allow the hose end to come through more right? Well my buddy didn't want to re flare a stock brake line for fear of messing it up, so we just made two new holes as I described for the bracket to sit slightly further out and allow more room between the hard line and the bracket so the hose could come through, seat, and be clipped into place with that u shaped thing.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

(Front brakes only)
so if using 5th gen SS rotors, which calipers have more pad contact? the Gen 1 CTSV 4 piston, or Gen 2 CTSV 6 piston calipers? or are they the same?

and why does a 14" Camaro rotor give more pad contact than a 14" C6Z rotor?
(I know Camaro has to be hub bored, and c6Z has to have washer to center caliper on rotor, but how does this change pad contact?)
Old 07-03-2015, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS 2
(Front brakes only)
so if using 5th gen SS rotors, which calipers have more pad contact? the Gen 1 CTSV 4 piston, or Gen 2 CTSV 6 piston calipers? or are they the same?

and why does a 14" Camaro rotor give more pad contact than a 14" C6Z rotor?
(I know Camaro has to be hub bored, and c6Z has to have washer to center caliper on rotor, but how does this change pad contact?)
A CTSV2 rotor is 14.6". This is the six piston caliper 2009+ model. Won't work with 5th gen rotors. The six piston pads are dramatically larger so more contact than any four prison setup. But the difference in stopping power has not been tested or proven to be worth the extra cost and drilling the holes on the spindles to make the bolts fit. I got the four piston setup to save a few bucks and avoid drilling things for fear of messing up the spindle hole and needing to get new spindles and retry it. A headache when my car is driven every day and can't be on jack stands for a week while I wait for new spindles. I considered ordering new spindles, drilling and test fitting, then swapping spindles, but thought that would be a headache to change spindles. Maybe not but I didn't want to find out the hard way.

The pad contact I think has to do with the size of the "hub" part of the rotor where the bolt holes are. People swear by it but I have c6z rotors and my brakes work wonderfully. Plenty of people do either and it works out fine. I was worried about it but trust me you really shouldn't get hung up on it.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Just for giggles I'll post my pics here from my install. I don't have any from the bit of trouble we had with getting the lines to meet properly in the bracket (and had to relocate the bracket as I mentioned above), but here's some brake/wheel ****. Would probably look better with the six pistons but as mentioned above they work just as well I'm sure and are a lot cheaper and you don't have to drill out the bolt holes on the spindle to make them larger and get larger bolts.

18x9.5" Corvette c6 z06 Spyder black chrome replicas
4-piston 04-07 cts-v calipers
KORE3 brake lines (call and ask for them)
2006 corvette z06 14" powerstop evolution rotors (shoot me, i don't care)
powerstop evolution pads (Came with the kit from eBay)

Quick Reply: CTS-V Brake Install w/ Pics