Old 11-18-2003, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are my slotted/cross-drilled rotors on the wrong way?pic inside

http://www.sdkcg.com/carpix/lifba/98...3/P1010058.JPG
Old 11-18-2003, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Depends on the manufacturer. According to most of the pics I've seen you have them correct. If those were eradispeeds that rotor would be on backwards. I'm suprised the instructions did not have them clearly marked. Or, that the rotors were not labeled L/R or have an arrow indicating the direction of rotation.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WayneSS01
Depends on the manufacturer. According to most of the pics I've seen you have them correct. If those were eradispeeds that rotor would be on backwards. I'm suprised the instructions did not have them clearly marked. Or, that the rotors were not labeled L/R or have an arrow indicating the direction of rotation.

The rotors were marked left and right...the confusion is because my buddy has the Eradispeeds and his are the opposite direction(like you said). So different manufacturers, different directions. Thank you for your help.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is usually considered "correct" to have the slot start from the inside out. Meaning, that rotor should spin counter clockwise.

Have fun.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:46 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hate to tell ya this, but they are the wrong way. The top of the slot should enter the caliper 1st, not the bottom (or inner slot).
Old 11-18-2003, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
Hate to tell ya this, but they are the wrong way. The top of the slot should enter the caliper 1st, not the bottom (or inner slot).

I was about to argue with you about that....but I did some looking and found this (I couldn't find the info I was thinking of however).

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...+Slotted+Rotor

They say that I'm wrong, and maybe I am.... Brembo wants the slot to contact the pad at the top first as well.

OOps....

Kevin
Old 11-19-2003, 12:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
It depends on the manufacturer. Those look like iRotors, and if they are, they are on the right way. Baer has theirs installed the other direction, and those are only only ones I've seen go that way. The rotors are marked with right and left, so that a sure way to get it right. The rotors on my dads car are the same direction as the ones in the pic. I'm sure it doesn't matter a whole lot, but who would know better than the people that make them...
Old 11-19-2003, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

My Powerslots, which are rendered useless after 2 track days, (now I am back to OEM vented from Autozone $40 each), are clearly marked left and right on the hub area. You should really check with the place you bought them, or the manufacturer. Looking at the Powerslots and brake pads, the pad contact patch is across the slot at the same time....May the Force be with You.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

HEY NY LS1, Your pic looks right on to me. The slots are making contact at lowest point of pad first, just like my clearly labeled Powerslots. Good luck!

Old 11-19-2003, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

The rotors were marked left and right...I put the left on the drivers side, is this correct??????? Who thought figuring this out would be so hard
Old 11-19-2003, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Running eradispeeds ...

Any idea why baer specifies one way and powerslot/other vendors say the other? Just curious...
Old 11-19-2003, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Since your rotors were clearly marked, you installed correctly. No idea why mfgrs issue different recommendendations....they probably test their own rotors on a track, and flip them each way to see what stops better, and wears better.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes sir Left = Driver's side.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry NY LS1, I think This be my fault..lol Since I have the same rotors, I tried it both ways, The way the manuf. suggested and I got massive amounts of rub and squeal. I switched them to the way the Eradispeeds are designed to be and I get a lot less, still some. The Rotors themselves are not clearly marked as to which side is which, althought the boxes they were in were clearly marked (but the boxes weren't sealed and had the tops rippped off, so it could have been switched inadvertently) Get past the break in point of the rotors and then if you have any issues switch them ( I had issues..lol)

Good Luck, let me know how it turns out
Old 11-19-2003, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Silver98camss
Sorry NY LS1, I think This be my fault..lol Since I have the same rotors, I tried it both ways, The way the manuf. suggested and I got massive amounts of rub and squeal. I switched them to the way the Eradispeeds are designed to be and I get a lot less, still some. The Rotors themselves are not clearly marked as to which side is which, althought the boxes they were in were clearly marked (but the boxes weren't sealed and had the tops rippped off, so it could have been switched inadvertently) Get past the break in point of the rotors and then if you have any issues switch them ( I had issues..lol)

Good Luck, let me know how it turns out
Rich this is all your fault

Seriously, I have no squealing and the brakes feel great, so I'm assuming they are on correctly.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry to do this, but you ALL are wrong! the only way to tell what side a rotor should be on is: w/ the rotor mounted on the hub, look down on the rotor @ the vaines between the 2 friction surfaces. you want the vanes to curve towards the rear of the car. that way the inner part of the vane (closest to the hub) will scoop air as it spins and cause air to flow outward from the center. the slots and holes dont need to sweep through the pad in any order (top to bottom or vis versa).
Old 11-19-2003, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Glenn98ZM6
sorry to do this, but you ALL are wrong! the only way to tell what side a rotor should be on is: w/ the rotor mounted on the hub, look down on the rotor @ the vaines between the 2 friction surfaces. you want the vanes to curve towards the rear of the car. that way the inner part of the vane (closest to the hub) will scoop air as it spins and cause air to flow outward from the center. the slots and holes dont need to sweep through the pad in any order (top to bottom or vis versa).
We have both cases covered..so we cant all be wrong

Glenn what u say does make sense, and that jives with what Baer recommends, but I know we followed the manuf directions on N.Y. LS1's install

I am back to being

Scott
Old 11-19-2003, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Glenn,

You are perfectly correct. I was simply answering which way the slots should be manufactured into the rotors for correct rotation. I'm assuming (dangerous, I know) that they are vented to spin properly or straight vaned rotors. But, you must go with the rotation that causes the rotor to pull air from the hub outward as Glenn said. "Let the slots fall where they may".....
Old 11-19-2003, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2002ScottOnyxSS
I am back to being

Scott

I'm with you Scott
Old 11-19-2003, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002ScottOnyxSS
We have both cases covered..so we cant all be wrong

Glenn what u say does make sense, and that jives with what Baer recommends, but I know we followed the manuf directions on N.Y. LS1's install

I am back to being

Scott
\

the only two things i saw posted was discusing orientation of the holes and the slots. i'm refering to the VANES that are between the innner and outter rotor surface. not sure why you all are confused. dont worry about the holes and slots, the vanes are what dictates the side of the car.

Quick Reply: Are my slotted/cross-drilled rotors on the wrong way?pic inside