Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

QA1s vs Stranos/Bilstiens?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default QA1s vs Stranos/Bilstiens?

My Firehawk wont hook up at the track at all. It doesnt try to transfer weight at all really. Before I took it to the track I wanted to lower it with stranos and some bilstiens. I wanted a car that corned better than stock but still hooks up at the track..This prob. isnt a goods street/strip combo is it? I dont have a race car just a strong running car. I cant affored to buy konis...but anyway..now Im thinking about single adj. QA1s but idk what to do about rear springs? I still want to lower it but I dont want to cut the rear factory rear springs. I dont trust that..but thats me..Should I just stick witht the stranos and bilstiens or get the QA1s?

Last edited by 223HAWK; 12-02-2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: title
Old 12-02-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to keep the lowered car, there are other ways to try to make it hook while working around the lowering springs. Things like tires, LCAs, relo brackets, etc. Maybe you already have these? I don't know. It all depends on how you want your car to work for you.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:44 AM
10 Second Club

Iv got full adjustable UMI rear parts, torque arm, panhard bar lca's..Im just wondering if the bilstiens and stranos will be a good choice over QA1s...
6 speed car thats geting 15 in wheels and a 26 in slick..thats one thing I know I need..
Old 12-02-2009, 10:44 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

There are alot of different things that effect the way a car hooks at the track. Something else to consider if you decide to go with a coil over style shock are the Strange single adjustables. They are less expensive than the QA1's and work very well for a multi purpose car. Give me a call here at the office and we can go over your setup and see what is best for your situation.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 12-02-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i lowered my car on hypercoil springs in front, slp eibachs in back, and bilsteins. springs are progressive but still somewhat similar in spring rate to stranos. i lowered it, absolutely no traction whatsoever. added lca relocation brackets, they helped quite a bit. lower control arms helped a tad bit more. torque arm helped a tad bit more again. still had trouble launching on my 245 coopers though(these were probably the real problem all along). threw on some bfg dr's and now it 100% dead hooks, even when cold and a 32psi on the street.

with supporting suspension mods and good tires you should be fine with stranos/bilsteins
Old 12-02-2009, 11:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

You simply need to decide if how the car works everyday on the road is more important to how it works at the track (and fwiw, having QA1's is no guarantee it's "hook". In one case we had a guy cut better 60's on Koni's set to his street settings than he did on his Afco/QA1 shock combination.... and he changed to the Koni's because driving the car on the road drove him nuts because it didn't ride or handle particularly well....

My springs are among the best lowering springs for still allowing a car to get power down. That's why my springs aren't super low or super stiff in the rear--to help plant power. Even though there are others that are "only" about 10 lbs/in stiffer in the back--that rate difference is about 7% between the two. That's not nothing.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-02-2009, 04:49 PM
10 Second Club

Well whats the next best shock to a koni? I dont know if I can spend that on shocks..
Old 12-02-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ordered Konis with sams springs. Would give a report, but springs arent in yet.

Any news on the springs Sam?

Hopefully the slow boat from germany makes it in. My car sits higher than tigers escaled perched up in that tree.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
Well whats the next best shock to a koni? I dont know if I can spend that on shocks..
yeah I want to know this also.^^^

I'm looking for a good setup for a DD but meant to hook at the track. Really confused by all these threads I feel like no can give a general consensus on spring/shock combo's. I haven't heard anything about bmr?? Sorry for the
Old 12-02-2009, 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

At least Im not the only one!! Im about to say forget the 1/4 and put some stickeys on all 4 corners and make it corner like a beast!! Ohh wait I dont have the money for that ether! DAMNIT!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
Before anyone answers the question I want to address an issue here, you clearly don't understand how much of a difference shocks make (and I can't blame you, I was in the same boat at one time) since you are being specific that you "can't spend that much on shocks".
You know the amount of money you spent to get your 434hp/371ft.lbs and how much of a difference that is front stock right? Getting good shocks (like konis) would be like metaphorically adding a huge supercharger and the supporting mods to your suspension, its a HUGE difference and one you don't want to just go cheap on and end up with lackluster results because the car won't just have less grip, but it will be harder to control, more finicky and nervous and all around more sloppy. Konis are a steal for the performance gain you get. I just recently did LT headers and an ORY, and paid way more than I did for konis and got WAY less of a difference than they made (almost non-existent in comparison).
If you want to skip out somewhere skip out on something else that wont effect performance or how the car drives.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fbodyman1026
yeah I want to know this also.^^^

I'm looking for a good setup for a DD but meant to hook at the track. Really confused by all these threads I feel like no can give a general consensus on spring/shock combo's. I haven't heard anything about bmr?? Sorry for the
Search more, read the stickies.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...eal-world.html
You have to pick your poison.
Generally NO lowering spring is "ideal" for launching. You want a soft rate and a tall spring for good weight transfer, a lowering spring is generally a higher rate and shorter.
A good "handling" shock (like bilstien, Koni etc.) will ride better, handle better and have the car feeling all around more solid and connected because it transfers weight in a slow controlled manner (among other things).
A good "drag" shock (like QA1, Strange, Afco etc.) will let the car transfer weight faster but will leave the car feeling disconnected, floaty, and generally crashing into bumps because they don't "control" the spring or the car, they just let the weight go where it wants.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ssjason232
ordered Konis with sams springs. Would give a report, but springs arent in yet.

Any news on the springs Sam?

Hopefully the slow boat from germany makes it in. My car sits higher than tigers escaled perched up in that tree.
Due into the country on the 9th, then ship directly to me (or so I'm told). So we're getting closer. I appreciate the patience.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-03-2009, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

If you're really trying to get your car to REALLY hook better, I'd say ask in the drag racing section. Pretty much 95% of everyone posting in here is geared toward handling oriented applications. There seems to be plenty of guys running single digits in the drag section. Maybe there isn't a Sam Strano in there, but there's guys who have single digits.

Like we said, depends on how far the rabbit hole you want to go in each application. You can improve your car to be simultaneously good in both handling and drag racing from a bone stock setup. You can only be good though... if you want to be great then you'll have to begin sacrificing handling for drag or vice versa. Suspension tuning between autox/road racing is a lot different from suspension tuning in drag racing. Lots of completely different factors come into play. I'm pretty sure that I'd want a double adjustable shock for the rear if I was going to be serious about getting suspension right for a really fast drag racer.. (from my minimal knowledge of it)

Quick Reply: QA1s vs Stranos/Bilstiens?