Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BRAKE and ABS INOP light came on last night, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 12:54 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default BRAKE and ABS INOP light came on last night, any ideas?

I received my lugnuts and put my Bogarts on and took it out for a run last night and out of nowhere while I was on the highway, the Brake and ABS INOP light came on. I didnt know what was going on, but I was worried. I applied the brakes to make sure they were still working, thankfully they were. I dont know if it had anything to do with the wheels and tires. I have 26x11.5x15s ET Streets in the rear mounted on 15x10s and 165r15s in the front mounted on 15x4s. I figure it may be the rims and tires because Ive never experienced this problem before until I put them on. Whats the reason behind this? Thanks

Oh one more thing...I was testing the tires out a bit and gave them a couple of turns to get 'em a little sticky and I did a practice launch, nothing real serious, and my low trac light came on. Is that normal?
Old 01-04-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is normal, it happens alot when you are running skinnies and slicks because of the differences in tire sizes
Old 01-04-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Check to see if you have a loose ground. I had this exact thing happen (ABS INOP, Brake light, and even the gauges would flip on and off.....) and it was the little ground wire on the drives side.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:18 PM
9 Second Club NA

When I got back in the car to head back home last night, the lights did not come on and for the whole way home. Hopefully it doesnt come on again. Im almost positive that its the rims and tires because like I said before, I never had this problem until I put them on. Thank for the help.

2001CamaroGuy: I dont think its a ground because I never experienced the flickering as you did, but thanks for the suggestion.

Lastly, what are the purposes of those lights or what are they warning you about? Just wanted to know in case it they ever come on again and I have the stock wheels and tires on.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

I believe that each wheel has its own sensor that senses the speed of each individual wheel. There is a small "gear" that spins with the wheel that passes over a small magnet. As this "gear" spins over the magnet, an electrical current is created thus sending a signal to the computer. When the computer detects contradiciting speeds between the wheels, it thinks there is a malfunction and subsequently shuts down the ABS and TCS/ESR. Thus triggering the light on your dash. Someone correct me if I am wrong. But I think this is how it operates.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:43 AM
9 Second Club NA

Everything sounds like it could be right to me, but the only part that I would have to disagree on is the shutting down part of the ABS. When those lights did come on, I made sure that the brakes did work before I panicked. LOL Sure enough they did and I just hoped they would get me to my destination in one piece.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:52 AM
Teching In

when the abs light comes on it could be many things. each wheel has a sensor, called a speed sensor. is any of these are corroded or unplugged your abs light will come on. if there is a bad fuse your abs light will come on. whenever the abs light comes on it means the computer deactivated the abs but you still have normal braking.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lopo
when the abs light comes on it could be many things. each wheel has a sensor, called a speed sensor. is any of these are corroded or unplugged your abs light will come on. if there is a bad fuse your abs light will come on. whenever the abs light comes on it means the computer deactivated the abs but you still have normal braking.
Many times metal shavings build up on the magnet and subsequently throws the light.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:16 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What they said...

Also, it usually always happens on the dyno as well.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
What they said...

Also, it usually always happens on the dyno as well.
Yep, classic example. Front wheels stopped and rears spinning. Speed sensors in each of the 4 corners pick up a difference in speed, subsequently triggering the ABS INOP light. After the dyno pull and when the car is driven normally for about 5-10 minutes, the light should go out.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:08 PM
9 Second Club NA

Where are these sensors, magnets, etc. located?
Old 01-05-2004, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NVMySS
Where are these sensors, magnets, etc. located?
Apparently the front wheel sensors are located somewhere behind the wheel above the lower control arm. Probably behind the rotors. The rears are located behind the wheels probably behind the rotors. I guess these individual speed sensors communicate with the vehicle speed sensors. I know one is located on the aft end of the transmission on the left side(manual tranny).
Old 01-05-2004, 09:56 PM
Restricted User

i was doing donuts last night in the snow and it came on. so i shut the car off and started it up again to see what happened. the abs light and the brake went off but then the mileage etc didnt show. so i shut it off and restarted again and it was fine. dont know what happened but whatever.

Quick Reply: BRAKE and ABS INOP light came on last night, any ideas?