Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rearend sits to far forward, any ideas why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 11:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rearend sits to far forward, any ideas why?

Not sure if this is in the right section but anyways, I just installed some lca's/drop brackets recently and i noticed the rearend sits way to far forward. There is a small gap between the front of the rear tire and the wheel well and a pretty big gap between the tire and the rear bumper I looked at my friends camaro and his sits nicely centered. Why could this be?
Old 05-02-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i installed bmr relo brackets and the opposite happened to me, the rear was to far back, i just bit the bullet and bought umi on car adj lca and that solved the problem
Old 05-02-2010, 12:39 AM
TECH Regular

you prob threw the thrust angle out of alignment... a set of double adjustable lcas will solve the problem... are they weld on brackets??... it's really easy to screw those up, if they are welded on at the wrong angle you will have to pry and twist the rear end to get the lcas to bolt in which is what throws the thrust angle off
Old 05-02-2010, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01SOMZ28
Not sure if this is in the right section but anyways, I just installed some lca's/drop brackets recently and i noticed the rearend sits way to far forward. There is a small gap between the front of the rear tire and the wheel well and a pretty big gap between the tire and the rear bumper I looked at my friends camaro and his sits nicely centered. Why could this be?
What you just installed.

Adjustable LCA's will fix your problem
Old 05-02-2010, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by neutron82
you prob threw the thrust angle out of alignment... a set of double adjustable lcas will solve the problem... are they weld on brackets??... it's really easy to screw those up, if they are welded on at the wrong angle you will have to pry and twist the rear end to get the lcas to bolt in which is what throws the thrust angle off
they are bolt on brackets but i welded them on as well
Old 05-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

they are bolt on brackets but i welded them on as well
What brand are they?
Old 05-02-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Assuming that your LCAs are the "non-adjustable" variety, by installing the relo-brackets, the arms are now at a different point in their arc. That point, has brought the axle forward a bit, hence the change in gaps between the tire and the quarter panel in front of the tire, and the bumper at the rear.

It's similar to when you lower the car, and the body pivots over the panhard bar, now the rear axle isn't centered in the car, and you need an adj PHB.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully you installed the LCA bracket's correctly, as in normal conditions, installing them pushes the rear end BACK.

But if everything is OK, adjustable LCA's is your answer.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
Hopefully you installed the LCA bracket's correctly, as in normal conditions, installing them pushes the rear end BACK.

But if everything is OK, adjustable LCA's is your answer.
hmm, i don't see how i could've installed them wrong though. They're bolt in brackets, you'd think when i put the weight of the car on them after the install things would've set in place. The rearend was sitting forward before i even welded them in. Now i'm confused since you say the rearend usually goes back instead of forward
Old 05-02-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm, i don't see how i could've installed them wrong though. They're bolt in brackets, you'd think when i put the weight of the car on them after the install things would've set in place. The rearend was sitting forward before i even welded them in. Now i'm confused since you say the rearend usually goes back instead of forward
Key word here is "usually."

Do you have any pictures underneath the car of the install so maybe us forum members can take a peek? It won't hurt to get a visual just to make sure there isn't anything obvious going on.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

What brand brackets are they? A friend of mine told me about a bunch of "bad" brackets that were made, the wholes were off and it messed with the alignment. I'll try to get some more info for you.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
Key word here is "usually."

Do you have any pictures underneath the car of the install so maybe us forum members can take a peek? It won't hurt to get a visual just to make sure there isn't anything obvious going on.
Yea i think i have a picture after the install, let me look real quick.

Originally Posted by hlaalu
What brand brackets are they? A friend of mine told me about a bunch of "bad" brackets that were made, the wholes were off and it messed with the alignment. I'll try to get some more info for you.
Founders Performance is the brand. I only heard good things about them so i thought id try them out.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

Will this help you any?

Old 05-03-2010, 04:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah man, I mean I have never seen that specific bracket installed before, but nonetheless it looks OK to me.

I was simply just asking for a pic just incase there was something obvious wrong with the install or product so we could work from there. Best to get the easy out of the way, I guess.

To me it looks like the brackets just pushed the rear forward, hence the reason why adjustable LCA's were invented
Old 05-03-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Founders Performance is the brand. I only heard good things about them so i thought id try them out.
I having the same ones in a box waiting to be put on, I'll let you know if they push up my rear too.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

after looking at that picture again, i noticed the gap between the factory bracket mount and the drop bracket on the back side. When i welded these on the other day that gap was not there...i ran a weld accross the back side of the brackets and the factory bracket mount...weird.

I'll have to go get a picture of how it sits now and compare them.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Raptor_WS6
i installed bmr relo brackets and the opposite happened to me, the rear was to far back, i just bit the bullet and bought umi on car adj lca and that solved the problem
Yeah, Mine moved back also. They didnt seam to help my 60ft either and thats with DR's thinking about taking them out.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you go chasing your tail too much, I'd take them off (I know that would involve grinding off the weld) and see if that fixes it. I had some bolt-on LCA relocation brackets that were pushing my axle too far back in the wheel well - took them off, and magically, everything was nicely centered. That's about the point that I said **** it, and I run without them now.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Before you go chasing your tail too much, I'd take them off (I know that would involve grinding off the weld) and see if that fixes it. I had some bolt-on LCA relocation brackets that were pushing my axle too far back in the wheel well - took them off, and magically, everything was nicely centered. That's about the point that I said **** it, and I run without them now.
I agree, each company makes slightly different brackets I must say.

For me, I got UMI bolt ins. I lowered the car and got the UMI LCA brackets and the rear didn't move forward or rearwards, and it helps with axle hop. So I got a perfect deal on all counts.

You never know, I guess.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:23 PM
12 Second Club

Adjustable LCA's will solve this..

Quick Reply: Rearend sits to far forward, any ideas why?