Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need Help fast....all new bushings needed and shocks.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Need Help fast....all new bushings needed and shocks.....

I just had two new tires put on up front today. The guy said he won't even attempt to do it until I get new bushings. He showed them to me and DAM...they are all pretty loose and look worn to hell. He's an honest guy, they don't do that type of work there.

He said I need:

UPPER and LOWER Control Arm Bushings

Outer Tie Rod End Bushings.....not inner.
I don't want poly bushings....I just want rubber replacements of any kind that are good.

Where to get them fast at a good price?

He also showed me TWO of my HALS are blown out. Soaked with fluid from top to bottom. The other two are perfectly dry.

I spoke (PM'ed) with Strano and I think the Bilstiens are good for me, no real need to spend the dollars on the Koni's, its just a daily driver...never a track car.

Opinions.......they will be going with my LG G2 Super Springs. I just want decent handling for street driving.

Thanks.......but hurry...... My car goes in for a piant job on Tuesday, I need to get all this ordered, delivered and installed by days end on Monday.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Control arm bushings....Moog, and nothing less. If you're in a hurry, and in that case, a couple of dollars here or there probably wont be a huge issue, try your closest auto parts store. They should either stock, or could get from the warehouse distributor, whatever you need pretty quickly.

Outer tire rods ends are just that, tie rod ends, not bushings. Again, get Moog. they're the best

BTW, how many miles on the car? If you're into it that much already, you might want to do the ball joints too. (Moog)
Old 05-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by leadfoot4

BTW, how many miles on the car? If you're into it that much already, you might want to do the ball joints too. (Moog)
Wanna laugh....somewhere around 180,000 miles on my 12-year old original bushings and ball joints.

I just spoke with Bennett Auto. Front UPPER bushings (MOOG) $31.00 each side. LOWER (MOOG) $41.00 each side.
So...I'm good there.

The OUTER tie rod ends, they have ones for $15.00 each side.....or the MOOG's for like $70.00 each side.

Are ball joints a pain to change out. I guess it would be smart to change them while I'm at it.

Now I need shocks. I think I'm gonna get the SLP Bilstiens from Strano tomorrow.

I'm just up against a schedule here, my car has to go into the paint shop for two weeks on Wednesday. I just had all new tires put on and they found all this crap needed to get replaced.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i put poly in my a arms......upper ball joint is easy.......lower........PITA.....i suggest take to dealer cuz they have the special tool so your arm dont get messed up.....like mine did
Old 05-20-2010, 11:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
i put poly in my a arms......upper ball joint is easy.......lower........PITA.....i suggest take to dealer cuz they have the special tool so your arm dont get messed up.....like mine did

The dealer gave me a price today of $840 just for labor to install the bushings and a front end alignment. Parts are $400.00 just for the bushings.

I called Bennett and you see the prices for the bushings in the post above....$222.00 for parts.

The guy at Bennett gave me a business card for a mechanic that does mobile work at my house or I can take it to him. He said $320.00 labor for everything. And that includes installing 4 new shocks at the same time.

Good deal. Dealership is nuts.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS6427
Wanna laugh....somewhere around 180,000 miles on my 12-year old original bushings and ball joints.

I just spoke with Bennett Auto. Front UPPER bushings (MOOG) $31.00 each side. LOWER (MOOG) $41.00 each side.
So...I'm good there.

The OUTER tie rod ends, they have ones for $15.00 each side.....or the MOOG's for like $70.00 each side.

Are ball joints a pain to change out. I guess it would be smart to change them while I'm at it.

Now I need shocks. I think I'm gonna get the SLP Bilstiens from Strano tomorrow.

I'm just up against a schedule here, my car has to go into the paint shop for two weeks on Wednesday. I just had all new tires put on and they found all this crap needed to get replaced.

I understand the pain of having to work to a compressed schedule. That's why I mentioned simply going to a local supplier, although the cost would be higher. One of the mail order places I do business with at times is not a site sponsor, so I won't mention them, however, their prices for Moog parts are: upper bushings -$20 per side; lower bushings - $25 per side; tie rod ends - $39 each; upper ball joints - $50 each (I'm shocked!); lower ball joint - $25.

I've been doing that kind of replacement work since the late 70s, so I have the tools, and can knock that stuff out in a heartbeat. Consequently, I'm totally shocked at the labor charges you're getting hit with!! It appears that I got into the wrong line of work.

The upper ball joints are fairly easy, you just have to be able to grind, chisel, or drill out the rivets that hold them to the a-arm. One thing to consider, as this project cascades into a real project.... You mention shocks, and in order to change the front shocks, you have to completely disassemble the front suspension in order to do this. The shock/spring assembly forms a "sandwich", with the upper a-arm assembly and shock tower, so it's a lot easier to do this all at one time. It's a bit of a project, but it's a lot easier to hit it all at once, rather than try to "piecemeal" it.

You may want to take the car to the body shop first, rather than try to cram a front end rebuild in first. It might also allow you to save some money by shopping around for your parts....
Old 05-21-2010, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

to bad you dont want poly bushings.............it was a breeze...did it myself......and i only meant using the dealer to install the lower arm ball joint.......i dont make 100$ a hour............and cant afford to pay it
Old 05-21-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
to bad you dont want poly bushings.............it was a breeze...did it myself......and i only meant using the dealer to install the lower arm ball joint.......i dont make 100$ a hour............and cant afford to pay it

Poly bushings or OE replacement bushings....they install simillarly, so it's the same. Poly, however, transmits more NVH to the car, and if you live in an area where the roads are really rough, they're not the ticket. I had the full compliment of poly bushings in my '96 Camaro....for 1 summer, Then I took them out. Too rough on me, and too much impact administered to the car.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Banned

I understand the pain of having to work to a compressed schedule. That's why I mentioned simply going to a local supplier, although the cost would be higher. One of the mail order places I do business with at times is not a site sponsor, so I won't mention them, however, their prices for Moog parts are: upper bushings -$20 per side; lower bushings - $25 per side; tie rod ends - $39 each; upper ball joints - $50 each (I'm shocked!); lower ball joint - $25.

I've been doing that kind of replacement work since the late 70s, so I have the tools, and can knock that stuff out in a heartbeat. Consequently, I'm totally shocked at the labor charges you're getting hit with!! It appears that I got into the wrong line of work.

The upper ball joints are fairly easy, you just have to be able to grind, chisel, or drill out the rivets that hold them to the a-arm. One thing to consider, as this project cascades into a real project.... You mention shocks, and in order to change the front shocks, you have to completely disassemble the front suspension in order to do this. The shock/spring assembly forms a "sandwich", with the upper a-arm assembly and shock tower, so it's a lot easier to do this all at one time. It's a bit of a project, but it's a lot easier to hit it all at once, rather than try to "piecemeal" it.

You may want to take the car to the body shop first, rather than try to cram a front end rebuild in first. It might also allow you to save some money by shopping around for your parts....
I think you're right, I should just wait till the car is out of paint. I also have another problem to deal with....when I got my G2 Super Springs and Hals installed, along with everything you see in my sig...which all went in at the same time.....I had to take a spanner wrench and kind of work the front Hals and the rear Hals up and down to make the car sit right. I think if I just buy the SLP Bilstiens my car is gonna be out of wack with no way to adjust for it, since they aren;t adjustable like the Hals are for ride hieght.

I like the G2 springs.....so now I have anther dilemma. I want to stay lowered exactly where the hieght is right now.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

i only have polys in my lower a arm as i have a spohn upper arm.......dont have any noticeable NVH from it........them polys are doing the job !!!!
Old 05-21-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Old 05-21-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Old 05-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just change them all, Lower, upper, control arms, cross member, sway bars strut tops and bearings, rears end also.
If possible do all ur short shocks or coil overs.
The car will be transformed 100% different, well worth it.
I used a Fulcrum Super Pro Bushings which are tops, tried pedders years ago but Super Proo are the goods!
They are slightly harder than rubber, but last and last.

Give them a go.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vuss2107
Just change them all, Lower, upper, control arms, cross member, sway bars strut tops and bearings, rears end also.
If possible do all ur short shocks or coil overs.
The car will be transformed 100% different, well worth it.
I used a Fulcrum Super Pro Bushings which are tops, tried pedders years ago but Super Proo are the goods!
They are slightly harder than rubber, but last and last.

Give them a go.
Yup, I'm doing them all while I'm in there. MOOG brand mostly, but AC Delco for new sway bar bushings.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS6427
Yup, I'm doing them all while I'm in there. MOOG brand mostly, but AC Delco for new sway bar bushings.
Actually, I'd use Energy Suspension poly bushings for the sway bars...
Old 05-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Banned

Actually, I'd use Energy Suspension poly bushings for the sway bars...
I can do that.......

Quick Reply: Need Help fast....all new bushings needed and shocks.....