Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Whats a better torqe arm setup? tunnel/trans relo

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a better torqe arm setup? tunnel/trans relo

Im currently run the UMI #2203 tunnel brace (t/a) setup on my 02 35th. Its a beast of a ******* t/a but the clunking when shifting and the transfer of road noise is driving me crazy as is the low ground clearance. It always seems to scrap or hit my tunnel brace beings i run the lower modified one for the long tune headers.The arm fits great and has never hit the floor like other (t/a's) out there and with the SFC's, it ties the whole car in together and feels tight as hell .Now,with my S60 rear,,,,,it really only needed hime joints installed into the rear part of the arm rather then the supplied solid ones. I did this because of the wider pumpkin on my S60 was pushing my arm over towards the drivers side ,past where it mounts to the tunnel brace by like a 1 1/2 '' or so and was putting a unwanted twist on the t/a .The hime joints fixed this problem for me. I actually yanked these hime joints off of my old Global West (t/a) i had laying around the garage that wouldnt work with my S60.I really dont track my car that much as she's a weekend warrior, garage queen type bitch LOL and was reading threw a few earlyer post on here and was wondering if a relocation trans crossmember (t/a) mount might be a better option for me then what im running now ? Would this also definatly quit up my ride then what im running now? Ive read on here that when other have gone with ther trans relocation mount setup,its as quite if not quiter then stock ,is this true?

Here my UMI arm with the hime joints installed to help line my t/a up with my wider S60 rear which worked perfectly

Last edited by barnat; 06-05-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK, I just did a search and got alot of mixed input on the trans relocation bracket with the longer arm. Most said its better and quiter ,other say its the same LOL So much fior the search as always LOL Anyways beings its a street driven mostly car, i think i may sell this UMI tunnel to somebody thats stricky track and get the trans relocation with the adjustable arm here .Any input from you guys will be appreciated as always
Ill probably get the straight tunnel brace too from UMI without the t/a mount so as i can still tie in my UMI SFC's and still have my drive shaft safty loop and gain some ground clearance too after i modifiy the exhaust alittle to work with the new (straight) tunnel brace or maybe not even put one back in?

Last edited by barnat; 06-05-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same tq arm and mine doesn't make any noises. I have a 9in rear end if that matters.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AFASTYZFR1
I have the same tq arm and mine doesn't make any noises. I have a 9in rear end if that matters.
Huh? I can feel and hear it when i put it into drive or from nuetrul to drive. Its not that bad going into reverse though? When my auto is shifting into secound, i can also feel and hear it .Somebody told me maybe its the (in gear) ideal setting that maybe needs to be tunned in abit .Is it true that there a (in gear) ideal setting ? I thought maybe my S60 had too much play and checked it too and it seemed fine. I even moved the driveshaft with my hand in netruel real quick and could hear and feel it banging pretty load threw the floor of my car when i even do it by hand?
The DR moves maybe a 1/4" or so while in neutral when doing this by hand and even less 1/8' while in park
I also put back in the rubber tranny mount last year too as these pics are old ones
It just seems while in neutral,,, if i do this by hand i can really hear it banging right at the tunnel brace.But then again LOL its only a few inches awy from the tail shaft of the tranny too ?

Last edited by barnat; 06-05-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK,I think im just going to change this UMI tunnel setup to the long arm adj UMI with the trans relocation bracket and call it a day LOL Ill be listeing this here after i install my new one for those of you wanting a tunnel set up.Its really nice that UMI changed there t/a desighn to the tubbelur arm verses that S shaped one they had before ,thus saving that bushing from being torn up. Now my question here is,,,,, i know i need the #2208 relocation bracket!Now,will the regular adjustable tranny mounted t/a part # 2205 work with this relocation bracket? I noticed UMI didnt say weather it did or not on there site and didnt list another t/a for this relocation bracket so im guessing this is it?
Old 06-06-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

barnat, I have this tq arm too and I love mine. No noises or vibes. Do not use the umi instructions for adjusting it. You'll end up breaking something and giving your self a headache. It is your pinion angle that is screwed up. when it is right it'll feel smooth and be quiet. Contact madman on here from madman racing and he'll help you out.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:22 AM
FormerVendor

Hello Barnat
I noticed you are having issues with noise on the torque arm! Our tunnel mounted arms are noisier due to what you are hearing is the weight transferring on the cross member that is mounted right under your seat. But yes if the vehicle is more of a street car then I would suggest going with a full length arm with a relocation cross member to get the arm off of the transmission.

If you have any other issues feel free to give me a call and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-07-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Regular

I have the same clunking noises in my Formula with the UMI tunnel mount arm...as long as this is normal I dont have a problem with it though. I LOVE how planted the rear feels at all times.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:46 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
What you are hearing is seeing how all aftermarket mounting brackets are beefier. When the weight transfers and the vehicle squats. The bracket will bump off of the tunnel area. You can either make clearance for it, or it will clearance itself. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad

Quick Reply: Whats a better torqe arm setup? tunnel/trans relo