74.38%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

BMR K Member VS UMI K Member

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question BMR K Member VS UMI K Member

which one r u guys using? how do u like it and how was the fitment? im going to order one tomorrow and am not sure which one to buy. sponsors feel free to chime in. thanks guys
Old 06-15-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My BMR bolted right up with no alignment probs whatsoever. Wieghed 29.5 lbs less than the stock kmember.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

My bone stock motor ripped apart the welds on a bmr k member, the motor started sagging in the car and was grinding the harmonic balancer on the stabilizer bar.

I removed all the bmr stuff from my car.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Wow you broke the welds. What k member r u using now? Anybody know the weight difference between the UMI and BMR?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 75tonyA
My bone stock motor ripped apart the welds on a bmr k member, the motor started sagging in the car and was grinding the harmonic balancer on the stabilizer bar.

I removed all the bmr stuff from my car.
Sorry to hear that!!! But it does help me make my choice. I like the double support that the UMI K-member has a lot.

I had to call UMI and ask a few question about it and they told me it bolts right up and no problems.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird
Wow you broke the welds. What k member r u using now? Anybody know the weight difference between the UMI and BMR?
I think the BMR weights 1.5 lbs less but it doesn't have the double support brace that UMI has.

Dual Tube Center Section Adds Increased Strength over any Competitors Design

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=175
Old 06-15-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

1.5 lbs aint much. Hmm sounds like UMI is better. Do they make a chromoly k member?
If so whats the price difference?
Old 06-15-2010, 10:25 PM
10 Second Club

1.5 lbs aint much. Hmm sounds like UMI is better. Do they make a chromoly k member?
If so whats the price difference?
I don't think they make one in chromoly... But to be honest I don't think I would want a chromoly K-member.

From what I have read chromoly is very lite but very weak ... As the guy said about his broke K-member and that was normal lol

Now I do know they make the A-arms in chromoly which I will do.

I think UMi has a set with both K-member and the Arms
Weight Savings with Chrome Moly A-Arms- 35.5 lbs

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=146

Old 06-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
I don't think they make one in chromoly... But to be honest I don't think I would want a chromoly K-member.

From what I have read chromoly is very lite but very weak ... As the guy said about his broke K-member and that was normal lol

Now I do know they make the A-arms in chromoly which I will do.

I think UMi has a set with both K-member and the Arms
Weight Savings with Chrome Moly A-Arms- 35.5 lbs

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=146

I smell a BMR and UMI war coming on here...

Chromoly is lighter and stronger than mild steel. The thing is the welding process is a little different. Chromoly is harder to pentrate and takes more attention to detail when it comes to welding.

I've had **** from UMI, BMR, and Spohn.

Call me a UMI nut swinger or whatever but I just bought another 500 bucks worth of UMI gear and I have no doubt that the quality will be outstanding.

EVERYTHING about UMI all the way down to stickers they include with their items is better. Stuff has broken in the past a long time ago, and UMI has made corrections and replaced them. I guarantee that if you had the two K-members side by side, your decision would be easy.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Chromoly is lighter and stronger than mild steel. The thing is the welding process is a little different. Chromoly is harder to pentrate and takes more attention to detail when it comes to welding.

EVERYTHING about UMI is better. Stuff can break and it does but they'll handle it, but if you had the two K-members side by side, you're decision would be easy.
This is what i was talking about..... I have read from a few people that the welds on the Chromoly parts would break. And this was a sponsor on this site and they didn't replace his after he showed them.

But like you said if the welds suck who care about the part.

As for the (UMI) K-member I have not seen a better looking K-member out there .
Old 06-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
This is what i was talking about..... I have read from a few people that the welds on the Chromoly parts would break. And this was a sponsor on this site and they didn't replace his after he showed them.

But like you said if the welds suck who care about the part.

As for the (UMI) K-member I have not seen a better looking K-member out there .
No, what you stated was that the chromoly was weak which couldn't be more far from the truth, so don't discredit the material if the welding was ****.

Chromoly parts when welded properly should be damn near indestructible.

And if anyone breaks a chromoly suspension piece it will clearly be a weld failure. That sponsor should replace that part with no questions asked after forking out that kind of cash. This I know UMI does.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:14 PM
12 Second Club

My vote always goes for UMI simply because out of both F-Bodies I have built with their products, not a single item has ever had fitment issues nor any other problems. A+ Seller and product!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

So they make chrome moly a arms not k members? I want to make sure the k. Member welds hold up cuz i wont want to take my motor out again if the welds brake. So do you think its better to just go with mild steel k member and chrome moly a arms?
Old 06-15-2010, 11:40 PM
10 Second Club

So they make chrome moly a arms not k members? I want to make sure the k. Member welds hold up cuz i wont want to take my motor out again if the welds brake. So do you think its better to just go with mild steel k member and chrome moly a arms?
From what they have on there site they don't have a Chrome Moly k-members

But they do make a road racer k-member but they say "These areas are exposed to more stress from a road race car than a street or drag race car would ever apply"

quote from the Road Race k-member

"When it comes to serious racing you want an item built to withstand high amounts of abuse to prevent failure that could lead to down time and extra cost. Our road race version K-member is designed for the serious racer that exposes there vehicle to more stress than any street car will ever experience. How do we do it? We take are already over-built street K-member and improve it even more. Using additional 1.000” tubing we tie together crucial areas. These areas are exposed to more stress from a road race car than a street or drag race car would ever apply. This item weighs in at 3lbs more than our standard version but still maintains a much needed weight savings. "

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=176
Old 06-16-2010, 06:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone for the positive comments, we appreciate it!

Our K-member is a very well built and well designed item. It is designed to take the abuse of a street car, drag car and autocross. We do not make the item in chrome moly, due to the complex design of this item producing it in 4130 chrome moly would increase the price significantly for little weight savings. Other companies offering this item in chrome moly recommend it to be used for drag race only. This is because there design is much simpler so there production time would be less than half of this item allowing them to sell it less expensive. Like mentioned above chrome moly material is stronger than mild steel since it has a higher tensile and yield strength. The key to chrome moly is the welding process, if welded incorrectly it can crack or become brittle. With an item of this size offering it in chrome moly would take some extra testing and extra cost due to the amount of welding that is involved and increased material cost.

Another note on our k-member. Every K-member that leaves our facility is fully inspected and stamped with an inspection number to reference an inspection sheet. This way we can guarantee fitment every time! Every k-member is also placed on a LS1 block to verify motor mount fitment and prevent you the user from having issues.

If anyone has any questions please let me know and I am glad to help.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 06-16-2010, 06:51 AM
TECH Resident

thanks ryan for chiming in. looks like ill be callin in today to order one.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

just pulled the trigger on the UMI k member. thanks 4 the help brad. cant wait to get it!!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

just pulled the trigger on the UMI k member. thanks 4 the help brad. cant wait to get it!!
Thanks for the order, you won't be disappointed

Please post a reply when you get it and let us know what you think. I always like to hear back.

Thanks again,
Ryan
Old 06-16-2010, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Lucky dog! You will love that piece!
Old 06-16-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Hey Ryan, will solid or prothane motor mounts work with your k member ?

Quick Reply: BMR K Member VS UMI K Member