Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front rotors that won't warp in 3 mos.?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front rotors that won't warp in 3 mos.?

Has anyone ever bought front rotors for our cars that last longer than 3-6 months without warping? I'm not hard on my brakes either! Really getting pissed off!
Old 08-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Launching!

If it keeps happening, are you sure that something else is not wrong? Maybe stuck caliper pins?

I have been using auto parts store (Napa) blanks for 3 years now with no problems.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

anything but stock should last awhile.

theres quite a few upgrade options. check some sponsors.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

brembo blanks?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

on my Y2K SS @ 9 k miles dealer machined front roters, @ 11 k dealer replaced both, @ at 12 k dealer replaced both again, 14 k dealer replaced again, now 11 years/76 k miles still on the last OE repacement and NO problems with brakes after many high speed stops
PS: my car has NEVER had a inpack on it, I do all my off/ons myself
Johnny
Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

x2. Skip the pretty, drilled, slotted, dimpled, smothered and covered rotors for the street. It's an overkill. You'll never see the temperatures all that crap is supposed to help with.

Originally Posted by hsproyaya
brembo blanks?
Old 08-16-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

x2 on checkin the pins
Old 08-17-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure the hub mounting area is clean. Also you make sure you torque the wheels to the proper spec. We install literally 100s of rotors at the shops I've worked at with very few issues, and most are cheap Chinese rotors.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hsproyaya
brembo blanks?
i like my brembo blanks. i found you get what you pay for when it comes to rotors. they're not too expensive either, but you just won't find a set of 4 for $150.

also - as stated, check for stuck guide pins.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:05 AM
Banned

Over-torquing of the lug nuts can warp rotors quickly.

Make sure you torque them to spec in a star pattern. Spec is 100ft.lbs.

Usually "warped" rotors are not actually warped though. Its uneven pad material buildup on the rotor. It is much more common for this kinda warping to happen than the rotor actually warping from excessive heat.

A good place to read up on this stuff would be StopTech's White-Pages. They can be found Here. More to the point, the article I would refer you to would be Here.

Read up and double check everything. Utilizing higher quality components will always bring peace of mind to me as well as making sure everything is proper.

Good luck!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HavATampa
x2. Skip the pretty, drilled, slotted, dimpled, smothered and covered rotors for the street. It's an overkill. You'll never see the temperatures all that crap is supposed to help with.
I'll keep my zinc coated drilled and slotted rotors, looks totally awesome and with no warping problems at all. I got mine from a non sponsor.

I liked them so much I replaced my wife's worn out rotors on her G6 with them. Looks badass now!
Old 08-17-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mike@ZMS
Usually "warped" rotors are not actually warped though. Its uneven pad material buildup on the rotor. It is much more common for this kinda warping to happen than the rotor actually warping from excessive heat.
So whatever we want to call it.. warping or uneven buildup... I think we can all agree that the stock rotors shake after a bit of use.. whatever it is that causes it
Old 08-17-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

I had a problem with my stop rotors after I purchased my car.. So, I replaced them with;

Powerslot Rotors( no drilled holes to worry about cracking after super hard use)

Hawks Performance Pads

Earls Stainless steel lines..

I love the brakes now.. Night and day difference..
Old 08-17-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

I had a problem with my stop rotors after I purchased my car.. So, I replaced them with;

Powerslot Rotors( no drilled holes to worry about cracking after super hard use)

Hawks Performance Pads

Earls Stainless steel lines..

I love the brakes now.. Night and day difference..
Old 08-17-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HavATampa
the street is the ONLY place 'safe' to use garbage like drilled rotors. they are never recommended for track use. read the stickies, drilled rotors are for LOOKS and nothing else. they do absolutely nothing to help you stop.

i use brembo blanks for the track. the first set i got was warped from the factory. that being said, you dont have to overheat them to warp.....you can just drop them on the floor and theyll warp. after getting them turned, ive had around 20 track days, seeing temps WAY higher then anything youll ever see on the street; im talking 1000 degrees more then street temps. they have yet to warp.

if any rotor keeps warping, as others have said, its not the rotor. frozen guide pins are probably the problem. even a bad hub could do it. whenever brakes are done, always grease the pins thoroughly, and id suggest to re-grease them once a year, regardless of pad condition.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Banned

By grease, I hope you are talking about something that can take the heat like anti-seize or similar.

I have used anti-seize to keep the pins lubricated, with great results.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:32 AM
TECH Resident

Use Grease or even better Sil Glyde, not anti seize, it's not high temp rated. Or high enough. I used to use it till I read the specs. Make sure your sil glyde is rated to high temps as well. Make sure to use a Torque wrench when tightening lug nuts as well.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

I was just looking at anti-seize last night, and the high temp stuff (Copper Kote) is rated to over 2000 degrees. There was some other stuff with a similar rating. I'm thinking that if my brakes were THAT hot, I'd have other things to worry about besides what I used on the pins.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

i was talking actual brake caliper lube, or grease. i have a tub from a parts store, been using it for years, with absolutely no problems. as i said before, racing produces temps over 1000 degrees higher then anything on the street, and my slide pins are like new after every track day.

whatever the tub i have is, it doesnt specifically say 'high temp' or 'racing application'. but i swap brakes after every event, and check the pins every time. not once have i ever seen anything burn, discolored, or dry. nothing even smells burned.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
I was just looking at anti-seize last night, and the high temp stuff (Copper Kote) is rated to over 2000 degrees. There was some other stuff with a similar rating. I'm thinking that if my brakes were THAT hot, I'd have other things to worry about besides what I used on the pins.
Sorry, I was un aware that they make a high temp version.
The standard is only good to something like 450.

Quick Reply: Front rotors that won't warp in 3 mos.?