Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano Performance Parts & Koni shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010 | 02:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Default Strano Performance Parts & Koni shocks

I've been selling and using Koni for a long, long time.

It's been implied that Koni hand-picks companies to sell their parts. That is not true, Koni doesn't select distributors. If your territory is open, and you do your buy in it's yours.

Strano Performance Parts is *NOT* a Master Distributor. I opted not to become one (and if anyone doubts that they can call Lee Grimes @ Koni North America). Why you ask? There are a number of reasons:

1. Being a small business, I don't have the room or time to deal with the amount of required in stock inventory. And Koni wanted me to stock shocks I never sell for cars I have little interest in.

2. I buy from 3 major suppliers who all together carry more stock than I ever could, which means I have access to greater numbers of shocks than if I was direct. I can also drop-ship any item not in stock at a warehouse direct from Koni North America if need be.

3. My major suppliers are scattered around the United States, meaning shipping times are generally shorter to you, the customer than if everything shipped from my shop in PA. I have warehouses in Florida, California, New York, Michigan, as well as what I stock here in Pennsylvania--and of course complete access to Koni's stock in Hebron Kentucky.

4. Being direct locks me in 100% to following Koni Minimum pricing, which means that I can't offer any sort of discount at all on Koni beyond their stated 30% off retail. If you look you'll find my 4/3 and 4/3 and DA sets are a bit less than that standard--and we offer free shipping as well.

Ok---that's all said and done. Now onto why I feel Strano Performance Parts is your best Koni supplier:

1. I am not new to the product. I have been using and *winning* on the shocks for many, many years and using them on other cars I setup--which have also won more than a few SCCA National Championships.

2. I have never pretended that an off the shelf cheap shock like a Tokico is nearly as good. Where Koni's are concerned I am not jumping on the bandwagon, I've been pulling the bandwagon for many years.

3. My background allows me to explain, in detail how the change in damping will effect the car. And I do so beyond some simplistic statement like "it gets stiffer and handles better". I can explain why rebound damping is important, and how it effects the car. I can do the same with compression damping if one is interested in a set of Double Adjustable Koni's over singles.

4. I am the one that figured out (by real world testing) that "4/3" were a viable option. In fact some of my National Championships are with those rear shocks on the car. How did I figure this out? Not by seeing someone else do it, but by doing back to back tests when I owned both my 1991 1LE and my 2001 Z28 and comparing and contrasting how the cars reacted with each shock in various situations. And for that matter, I also will sometimes use a 4th gen rear shock on a 3rd gen car as well.

5. I have and continue to take the time to walk customers through the installation and adjustment of these shocks. The instructions are pretty poor (admittedly). Do you want to be on your own, or trust someone who's never actually used these dampers on their own car to help you with this?

For years other shops have sold Koni shocks. So I'm not really worried about anyone new carrying them for the all the reasons listed above. I'm sure there will be some game playing as that's what that company tends to do. I won't stoop to that level. I'll do what I've always done. Sell a great product, at a fair price, and back it up with knowledge and support that *nobody* else can offer. Until I see these companies compete and win on a handling stage against known competition, there is no foot to stand on. I don't go bragging about my drag racing, because it's not my bag. I know how to do it, and know how to setup a car for it--but I *LOVE* corner carving. It's what I do.

Thank you for reading!!!!!
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 08-20-2010 | 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Well with all the suspension companies I've dealt with on my car I would continue to purchase from your shop cause of the best experience and advice behind the sale. Even If wasn't for my Trans Am. Thanks for all the help and looking forward to future business on other builds.
Old 08-20-2010 | 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Ill still buy from you, not only are you cheaper than other master distributors *cough* but you are always helpful on the forum.

If only I could get you to respond to my email from a month ago, lol
Old 08-20-2010 | 02:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

E-mail isn't exactly reliable since I get a zillion and I'm sure more than a few get caught in spam filters.

Why not call me?
Old 08-20-2010 | 04:29 PM
9 Second Club

+1 for Strano parts!
Old 08-21-2010 | 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
E-mail isn't exactly reliable since I get a zillion and I'm sure more than a few get caught in spam filters.

Why not call me?
Ya I understand that, thats why its no big deal. I work from 7am-6pm on week days and thats Alaska time so by the time Im off work its 10pm your time. I figured Ill give you a call when Im ready to buy, Ive already decided on a combination of Koni/UMI parts.
Old 08-21-2010 | 11:58 AM
On The Tree

You couldn't have said it any better, but just for reassurance, don't worry about other companies now distributing Koni's. The help you've given me and the community at large is well worth buying from you any day IMHO.
Old 08-21-2010 | 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

+1 for Strano.
Old 08-21-2010 | 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have yet to purchase from you, but i have every intention of getting your springs and a full set of konis whenever my budget allows. I have spoken to you several times about konis and you have always been very helpful and i've heard nothing but good things about you. Keep doin what you're doin brother!
Old 08-22-2010 | 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

+2 for Strano.My 4x4 's are working great on my D/D.
Thanks Sam.

Bill
Old 08-22-2010 | 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

As far as I have seen, Strano is the only one pushing the envelope in a variety of areas -- which is what 4th Gen fans need. How many performance shops even sell a Watts Link for example?! I still have yet to install my Strano Konis, but soon!

I would spend money with Sam again - he's got more good stuff I am interested in...

Just an idea to Sam: you might want to consider offering your unique Strano parts like sways, springs, etc. to be sold at other performance shops too -- just to widen the availability of them and exposure...
Old 08-22-2010 | 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

With all the parts I have bought Sam you should send me a t-shirt!
Old 08-22-2010 | 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

havent purchased from sam yet but thanks for the info you've given me with e-mails , hope i'll be ordering my shocks ,sways and sfc's this week
Old 08-22-2010 | 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Not a bad idea esp. when folks goto events with the shirts on -- free advertising...

Borla included a cap with my cat-back -- but really, who wears caps?! I sure don't.

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
With all the parts I have bought Sam you should send me a t-shirt!
Old 08-22-2010 | 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Not a bad idea esp. when folks goto events with the shirts on -- free advertising...

Borla included a cap with my cat-back -- but really, who wears caps?! I sure don't.
lol if its fitted i will
Old 08-23-2010 | 10:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Ya I understand that, thats why its no big deal. I work from 7am-6pm on week days and thats Alaska time so by the time Im off work its 10pm your time. I figured Ill give you a call when Im ready to buy, Ive already decided on a combination of Koni/UMI parts.
I do my best to help cover the east coast guys after work, and west coast folks before work--- I'm around most days 11-7 Eastern.

Just a note for everyone. E-mail isn't 100% reliable as there is so much spam, etc. If you send one that's fine and chances are I'll get it, but if you don't hear from me you cannot assume I'm ignoring you.
Old 08-24-2010 | 04:02 AM
TECH Addict

+ Yet another for Sam Strano. My car handles as good as it looks!
Old 08-27-2010 | 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Sam just to let you know I picked up my car from my brother in Columbus and just did the trip back to Albuquerque man what a trip for the record loved the Koni's, along with your springs I don't see how anyone would not ever want that set-up. We shot up to Cleveland once to the Summit store taking the back hills and then shot straight down to south Ohio to see the parents.

Although my brother has a bigger engine (408ci) in his 2000 TA and could take me in the straight aways his AGX/Hotchkin Spring set up simply couldn't take the turns and rolls I was doing it was an awesome side by side comparision through windy hills and turns.

On a sour note going through Tulsa OK with their crappy road construction bent my rear sway bar (beleive it or not ) so I may be hitting you up on the first for a set of your hollow bars.

Once again thanks buddy I appreciate the help
Old 08-27-2010 | 09:13 AM
12 Second Club

You wont be disappointed in his swaybars either.
Old 08-27-2010 | 09:40 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

When I had problems with my rear end being jittery, Sam was the only one who suggested to NOT spend money on parts but instead to put the factory panhard back on and soften my shocks and see if the end result would solve my problem. Everyone else wanted to sell me on what part or parts from their company I should buy. I listened to Sam and couldn't be happier.

Don't think I not a customer though. I have a set of his springs and set of Koni's from him. Chances are my sway bars will be swapped from another 3-letter company over to his. What can I say, I didn't know better back in 2001 when I bought them.

Quick Reply: Strano Performance Parts & Koni shocks