Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Now have Konis and Stranos and I dont feel happy....

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Now have Konis and Stranos and I dont feel happy....

So I replaced the stock shocks and springs with Konis and Stranos.
Car had 100k miles. I had to buy new upper shocks mounts from monroe.

The rear went very easy and fast. Fronts were a different story. Followed Strano's instructions.
After I finished, I went for a drive. I had the fronts on 4 sweeps from full soft. Rears were half a turn from full soft.

The car still felt jittery when I would go over holes in the road. Feels like the whole front end shakes.

I then started playing with the settings but I was never able to make the car feel like a solid and stable car. I expected much more from the Konis.
Another thing that still goes on is that when I go on lets say dips or on road parts where they are not at the same level, my car bounces alot after I go over them.

My rear also sounds like I dont have shocks and like its hitting metal to metal when I go over bumps and road imperfections.

I dont know if I did something wrong during the install but im kinda disapointed.

Just my experience....
Old 09-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Launching!

Rear...make sure your upper shock bolt is tightened all the way down and I'm sure you have the rubber bushings there with the cups on top and bottom. I had the same issue with mine thinking I was going to overtighten them initially...after going crazy I went back there and tightened them all the way tight...problem solved.

Front...I could guess but Sam's the man when it comes to these so I'm not going to even step on his toes and let him chime in.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS DNA
The car still felt jittery when I would go over holes in the road. Feels like the whole front end shakes.
If you have a bunch of old worn out components in your front end, throwing shocks/springs at it isn't a miracle cure all. Did you replace anything else on the front end or just the shocks/springs?
Old 09-23-2010, 07:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Giggity
If you have a bunch of old worn out components in your front end, throwing shocks/springs at it isn't a miracle cure all. Did you replace anything else on the front end or just the shocks/springs?
I was thinking the same thing...tie rods ends perhaps?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing to keep in mind, is that these shocks seem to appreciate a little break in period. My ride was quite a bit more forgiving about 200-300 miles after I installed them.

Like 01 ss vert said, the front end "shaking" over bumps kinda sounds like tie rod ends.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SS DNA
So I replaced the stock shocks and springs with Konis and Stranos.
Car had 100k miles. I had to buy new upper shocks mounts from monroe.

The rear went very easy and fast. Fronts were a different story. Followed Strano's instructions.
After I finished, I went for a drive. I had the fronts on 4 sweeps from full soft. Rears were half a turn from full soft.

I then started playing with the settings but I was never able to make the car feel like a solid and stable car. I expected much more from the Konis.
Another thing that still goes on is that when I go on lets say dips or on road parts where they are not at the same level, my car bounces alot after I go over them.

My rear also sounds like I dont have shocks and like its hitting metal to metal when I go over bumps and road imperfections.

I dont know if I did something wrong during the install but im kinda disapointed.

Just my experience....
Did you get it aligned? If that's off, the car won't feel very stable as the toe out will be messed up.

The car should be much better over bumps than it was before. Make not mistake you have lowering springs and they ride firmly because they are both shorter and stiffer than stock, but the impact harshness should have been hugely improved. FWIW this is why I sometimes cringe a little when folks say "it rides better than stock". I agree with that to a large degree because impact harshness is much improved. But the springs firm things up. The BEST ride comes from good shocks like Koni's and stock springs to allow the softest wheel rate and greatest working travel.

You don't mention how you changed the shocks (and fwiw, you haven't called me that I can tell--maybe you left a voicemail I haven't gotten to yet?).

I can't help you much unless we speak and talk about what's up and what you did and what you expect. In the end, it's still a solid axle car. But your feelings are certainly not normal. So either you expect way, WAY too much or something is just amiss somewhere.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-23-2010, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

Yes! Alignment. Mine drove like that till I got it aligned.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, I did a Koni/Strano install earlier this year. Front shocks are on "1 sweep" firm, and the rears are now "full soft" after trying "1 click" firm.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

Ahhhh, unless you have 4/3's there are no clicks (and that's only in the rears). Part of the issue is folks use different terms and that leads to confusion. Welcome to the internet where people are rarely on the same page.

FWIW, one "click" up on the rears on a 4/3 from full soft is 20% stiffer which is tangible. About the same as 1/2 turn up up from soft on a 4/4 rear.

Also FWIW, leadfoot4's settings are a PERFECT example of why adjustable shocks are not not some pie-in-the-sky useless option as some would like you to believe. He found settings he like better, and runs them. With non-adjustables you don't have that option--period.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, I think your car doesn't like the Strano springs. Give them to me and I'll give you my crappy Hotchkis springs LOL
Old 09-23-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

I installed some Koni SA 3rd gen rears (aka 4/3) but just the rears.. I was getting a lot of clunking in the rear. It killed me, I could push down on the hatch and hear a clunk.. Looked up under my car and noticed both springs were rubbing against frame or stock panhard, I can't rememeber what exactly it was.. It looks like the spring was binding up, making it curl towards the rear. I rotated the spring to where the final lower coil was resting on the rear of the perch. Think of the geometry of it, it makes more sense to have the final coil on the rear.. I no longer have any clunking whatsoever. And, I'm sitting on Hotchkis springs (which I love)

Just something to try, I guess. My story of my clunking.. I also installed an adjustable panhard, and adjustable torque arm shortly after, but adjusting the spring gave me my fix.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Regular

Yup, definitely get an alignment at a reputable shop. They should also tell you if anything else is worn and needing replacement after going for a drive and inspection. If you ever go autocrossing (or any performance driving), this is where you will notice the konis/strano bars are big improvements. I autocrossed a year on a stock Z28, so I was able to see the light.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98_TA_EMLC
Rear...make sure your upper shock bolt is tightened all the way down and I'm sure you have the rubber bushings there with the cups on top and bottom. I had the same issue with mine thinking I was going to overtighten them initially...after going crazy I went back there and tightened them all the way tight...problem solved.

Front...I could guess but Sam's the man when it comes to these so I'm not going to even step on his toes and let him chime in.
Yea I got the rubber bushings with the metal cups. I dont have a torque wrench so I did it by hand and I dont know if I didnt tighten it enough. Maybe needs more tightening.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Giggity
No I didnt replace anything else. I just threw on the shocks/springs.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
I was thinking the same thing...tie rods ends perhaps?
Never have changed the rod ends before. I got 100K miles.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Did you get it aligned? If that's off, the car won't feel very stable as the toe out will be messed up.

The car should be much better over bumps than it was before. Make not mistake you have lowering springs and they ride firmly because they are both shorter and stiffer than stock, but the impact harshness should have been hugely improved. FWIW this is why I sometimes cringe a little when folks say "it rides better than stock". I agree with that to a large degree because impact harshness is much improved. But the springs firm things up. The BEST ride comes from good shocks like Koni's and stock springs to allow the softest wheel rate and greatest working travel.

You don't mention how you changed the shocks (and fwiw, you haven't called me that I can tell--maybe you left a voicemail I haven't gotten to yet?).

I can't help you much unless we speak and talk about what's up and what you did and what you expect. In the end, it's still a solid axle car. But your feelings are certainly not normal. So either you expect way, WAY too much or something is just amiss somewhere.
No alignment yet. I been trying to work the bugs out but going to school full time and working 40+ hours a week doesnt really leave much time for play.

And yes I did call you before you left racing and got install instructions from you.

I will call you again one of these days to discuss my install if thats ok with you.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tie rod ends and ball joints could be a major cause of the front end feeling nasty. Did you happen to check the condition of your control arm bushings and tie rod ends when you were swapping shocks?
Old 10-21-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

So what is the consensus with the rear end bouncing, is it because his rear shocks aren't tightened as much as they should be or...
Old 10-21-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Those symptoms don't sound like characteristics caused by shocks or springs. Sounds like you have other issues.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With 100K miles on the car, I think things like ball joints and control arm bushings are in order...

Quick Reply: Now have Konis and Stranos and I dont feel happy....