Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

need some advice about the way my car handles.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question need some advice about the way my car handles.

hey guys awhile back i took some friends for a ride and when we got up to about 135 mph the front end of the car started jumping around alot and i had to let out of it. my car has 16 inch wheels and tires 245-50-16. i didnt know if it was because i had someone in the back seat or if i need to put a tower brace on. but needless to say i wont be trying to run top end like that until i get that fixed. any input would be great. thanks
Old 02-06-2004, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

You need to get some new shocks and probably a custom alignment done to that bad boy. the factory specs blow.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Exclamation

A tower brace will not help with your 'floating' front. The answer IS shocks! DanoHB is correct on the alignment as well.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks alot guys. the car only has 14000 miles on it but i doubt i could talk the factory into putting some on it huh. oh well ill look into it. thanks again

Last edited by silverbeast; 02-06-2004 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbeast
hey guys awhile back i took some friends for a ride and when we got up to about 135 mph the front end of the car started jumping around alot and i had to let out of it. my car has 16 inch wheels and tires 245-50-16. i didnt know if it was because i had someone in the back seat or if i need to put a tower brace on. but needless to say i wont be trying to run top end like that until i get that fixed. any input would be great. thanks

With a weight in the rear seat the car has a nose high rake and high speed front end lift is worst. This unloads the front tires so you have less steering control and you'll get what you experienced. Shocks won't help that.

FWIW, taking helpless passengers for a 135 mph ride seems to be less than a smart move. The car was trying to warn you.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Make sure that the wheels are round, the tires don't have a broken belt in any of them and that they are in balance. I'd suspect alignment, out of round tires or wheels, or balance to be your problem. The shocks are not very good when new, but they won't "cause" your vibration. They may not be capable of damping a vibration caused by one of the other conditions I mentioned though.

Stay safe!
Old 02-11-2004, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

If the car only has 14k on it...you were prolly on a crappy road and dont do that again. Wind is also a factor at 135...not trying to be a smartazz...just doubt your shocks are bad.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, factory shocks are bad before they're even put on the cars. I never liked the way they performed at normal highway speeds, much less well into triple digit territory. Can't say that's the source of your high speed problem, but it certainly isn't helping.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jRaskell
IMHO, factory shocks are bad before they're even put on the cars. I never liked the way they performed at normal highway speeds, much less well into triple digit territory. Can't say that's the source of your high speed problem, but it certainly isn't helping.
I agree that decarbons are not so good, even new. But I can also say that I've driven a Camaro on absolutely stock suspension at 153 mph and it was slightly "floaty", but no vibration. So, it is an issue external to the shocks (assuming one has not been damaged somehow).

Quick Reply: need some advice about the way my car handles.