33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Hotchkis STB for FAST 102 Manifold Request Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lightbulb Hotchkis STB for FAST 102 Manifold Request Thread

This is a thread for all of those individuals who would like to have a STB manufactured by Hotchkis that will clear the FAST 102 Manifold. This thread is not meant to be a place for arguing the function of a STB or the importance of having one. I have submitted a request through Hotchkis suspension for them to look into manufacturing a STB that will have the necessary clearance. If you are interested in this please feel free to post and add your input/ show your support for the product. The more input/support we have for this prodcut the higher the chance that Hotchkis will produce this product. Here is the info I sent Hotchkis, and I will update everyone as soon as I hear back from Hotchkis.

Hello,

I just purchased your Strut Tower Brace for the 1998-2002 Camaro/Firebird and I am currently experiencing an issue. It has come to my attention and the LS1TECH.com (online forum) community's attention that because of a new Intake Manifold design (similar to the LS6 intake design from Fuel Air Spark Technology (F.A.S.T) not one suspension company has a strut tower brace that will currently clear the top of the manifold. The manifold is only slightly taller than a stock ls6 intake but it still can't be cleared by any current brace. I purchased your fully polished strut tower brace and the design is fantastic, however I would not be able to run this brace on my car with this intake. I was inquiring to see if you would possibly consider an alternative design or a taller brace that the LSX community can use in conjunction with this high demand intake manifold. The topic of a company stepping up to the plate and introducing a brace that would work has been a very big topic with high interest. In all honesty your company would be the only one that would offer a brace that could clear this manifold so the market and interest would play out in your favor, seeing as you would be the only company with this product. The FAST 102mm Intake is the highest performace intake right now and over 60% of the LSX and F-body world are having to remove their braces just to run this great manifold. Is there any chance that you would be willing to manufacture a new/taller strut tower brace? I will gladly get a list of people together that will vouch for the high demand for this product.

Thank You for your time and consideration.

Last edited by usafcrewchief01; 01-26-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Needed to add a few words
Old 01-26-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for looking into this, if they do end up producing a STB that will clear the 102, i will buy it for sure.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the 102 so much taller that you couldn't just use shim
plates under the two pedestals? I know installed I have
maybe 1/2" of thread left above.

What about a little quick fabbing? Like weld an extension
of 1/8 stock on the outside and another bit (or just two
washers) on the inside, and grind it to look right, after
you drill the right-answer holes?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, the 102 is very tall, I have less an 1/2 inch between the top of my intake and my cowl. Shims won't work, the STB barely even touches the studs on each side before it hits the intake.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:54 AM
Launching!

I wish it would be as easy a spacer. I am however curious as to how Hotchkis will find a way to make the old strut tower brace work. I am still waiting on a reply from them.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We could probably modify our STB to work. I'll have my motor and 102 installed in an a month or so.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Any reason why this one wouldn't clear?? This is the BMR V6 STB. It is designed to clear the higher V6 intake manifold and oil fill cap that the LS1 STB won't clear.

Last edited by ZexGX; 01-28-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have a hotchkis STB and a fast 90,the 102 is that much taller then the 90??
Old 01-28-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

What do you think the likelihood would be that Hotchkis will actually do something? I'm guessing they won't. What if they make a taller STB and then someone makes another intake that's even taller? Some parts just don't fit with other parts.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

The BMR V6 STB (STB-002) is taller than the others, I think. It has a rearward slant to it along with a slightly taller vertical height (I think...). I have one on my car (see pic above). Have you looked into that? Might be worth your time to purchase one to experiment. Worst case, you can sell it to an LS1 guy. The V6 bars fit better than the LS1 bars and allow the oil cap to be removed without breaking one of your knuckles... Well, better except for the 4L60E dipstick that rubs on the bottom of the bar. T56 cars won't have a problem.

Last edited by ZexGX; 01-28-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z28bryan
What do you think the likelihood would be that Hotchkis will actually do something? I'm guessing they won't. What if they make a taller STB and then someone makes another intake that's even taller? Some parts just don't fit with other parts.
If they make an intake taller than the 102 then there won't be an issue, as the 102 barely fits under the cowl, theres less than 1/2" between the intake and the cowl. So if they do make a taller one it wont be much taller or there will be major modifications to even fit the intake under the cowl.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Teching In

I know its been awhile since a reply was made to this thread, but has anyone experimented the BMR V6 STB with the Fast 102 as mentioned above? Any info/pics would be appreciated. Thanks

Also, not that it may ever happen, but I would also purchase a Hotchkis if they produce one to fit. +1
Old 06-23-2011, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jeckyl&HydeSS
I know its been awhile since a reply was made to this thread, but has anyone experimented the BMR V6 STB with the Fast 102 as mentioned above? Any info/pics would be appreciated. Thanks

Also, not that it may ever happen, but I would also purchase a Hotchkis if they produce one to fit. +1
I have not had a chance to test it out. I will be pulling the intake manifold in a few weeks to change out the knock sensor and knock sensor harness, so I will see if I can borrow a friends FAST 102 for test-fitting. I think it's ridiculous that people could afford a FAST 102 and not an $80 strut tower brace to temporarily experiment with.

Also, I don't understand any of your fascination with Hotchkis, as if their strut tower braces are of any higher quality than their competitors.

Last edited by ZexGX; 06-23-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

subscribing for the BMR V6 STB test fitting, it looks very promising.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
The BMR V6 STB (STB-002) is taller than the others, I think. It has a rearward slant to it along with a slightly taller vertical height (I think...). I have one on my car (see pic above). Have you looked into that? Might be worth your time to purchase one to experiment. Worst case, you can sell it to an LS1 guy. The V6 bars fit better than the LS1 bars and allow the oil cap to be removed without breaking one of your knuckles... Well, better except for the 4L60E dipstick that rubs on the bottom of the bar. T56 cars won't have a problem.
We recently built a Formula WS6 and put a FAST 102mm on it. He had a STB before and wanted to put one back on, his original one did not work so we tried the V6 bar that is on my bosses car (same as pictured above) and it did not work either.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info Tbird. I was just going to buy the V6 BMR and test it but I might just have to modify the one I have. Hotchkis is just a better look under the hood my opinion. As everyone says we wont lose much without a STB but I am for it since it saved my motor in an accident to my last car. Not a major deal if I cant fit one though.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tbird31
We recently built a Formula WS6 and put a FAST 102mm on it. He had a STB before and wanted to put one back on, his original one did not work so we tried the V6 bar that is on my bosses car (same as pictured above) and it did not work either.
Awesome. Thanks for the info!

Maybe 6LE could make a STB that clears a 102. We shall see.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know we are F-Body parts ******, we'll make it . We already have been planning to make it for awhile, just waiting on Sommer to get his motor in the car so we have something to make it off of.

In the meantime, does anyone have pics with 102s with STBs begin attempted to be installed so I can see where the issues are?
Old 06-24-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
You know we are F-Body parts ******, we'll make it . We already have been planning to make it for awhile, just waiting on Sommer to get his motor in the car so we have something to make it off of.

In the meantime, does anyone have pics with 102s with STBs begin attempted to be installed so I can see where the issues are?
Your probably going to have to make the tallest STB possible without hitting the underside of the hood, and even then, I'm no sure if it's going to clear.
I can't even post pictures of the problem for you, my SLP STB won't even touch the studs when i attemt to put it on.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What if we took our custom STB...

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=192

NOTE: I need to update the pics on the site, that was a prototype, our production pieces are WAY cleaner looking, here is one...

and just turned the part that is where the custom waterjet metal is to be parallel to the motor. We could make it higher, longer, whatever we need and then test the strength of the piece (it is facing the way it is to make it the strongest due to the angles of force on it)...

Quick Reply: Hotchkis STB for FAST 102 Manifold Request Thread