Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Qa1 adj shocks almost all the way stiff on 1 hr dirve = headace

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 03:14 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Qa1 adj shocks almost all the way stiff on 1 hr dirve = headace

So I got my rear 12 way adjustable qa1's on and turned it down 2 clicks from as stiff as it would go. I had a migrane in about 30 mins lol. Plus it launched worse than ever with it set stiff. Set it to a pretty loose setting and it hooks better. I think the fronts will make the actual difference though
Old 02-08-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i might be wrong, but i always understood that for drag racing you want them set very soft
Old 02-08-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Why so stiff?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Restricted User

I guess for drag racing you are saposed to set the front real loose and set the back pretty stiff, but it is not plesant to drive around on really stiff shocks lol
Old 02-08-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no, im pretty sure you got that backwards bud
Old 02-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
no, im pretty sure you got that backwards bud
lol that came from people over at bmr and others, so im pretty sure it isn't backwards. You set the front soft so it lifts up and transfers the weight on the wheels. And you want the rears stiff so it keeps the tires planted
Old 02-08-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z99ls1
lol that came from people over at bmr and others, so im pretty sure it isn't backwards. You set the front soft so it lifts up and transfers the weight on the wheels. And you want the rears stiff so it keeps the tires planted
You got the right idea. I have summit drag shocks set on 50/50 (stiff) in the back. Over big bumps they're kidney punishers, haha.
You wan't the rear stiff and the front soft. Race cars don't squat. You want the rear as stiff as the tires or track will hold. You want weight tranfer to plant the tire, not wasted on rear suspension travel.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Restricted User

Yea thats what I have my rears set at now. Maybe 60/50. Not as hard on the back. I haven't got my front on yet, but im going to set those really loose
Old 02-09-2011, 08:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You definitely want the rear stiff when setting up adjustable drag shocks, I think the problem you are having is that the stock front shocks aren't allow for much weight transfer at the moment. If you set the rears up too loose the car will waste energy squatting rather than launching forward. Having a car that squats in the rear alot is generally bad for launching and is a huge misconception among people. You probably wont see the full potential of the rear shocks till you get the front loosened up some and the weight transfering. Is the front sway bar still on the car?

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
You definitely want the rear stiff when setting up adjustable drag shocks, I think the problem you are having is that the stock front shocks aren't allow for much weight transfer at the moment. If you set the rears up too loose the car will waste energy squatting rather than launching forward. Having a car that squats in the rear alot is generally bad for launching and is a huge misconception among people. You probably wont see the full potential of the rear shocks till you get the front loosened up some and the weight transfering. Is the front sway bar still on the car?
Yea the front sway bar is still on the car. If I take it off, do I take it off all the time or just for the track? I have heard of taking it off before, but why does it help? I would leave it off all the time if it won't hurt anything
Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By removing the front swaybar you allow the front suspension to act independently. You also remove the friction that the swaybar bushings create. I ran my SS with stock front springs (i know it wasnt the most desireable combo but it worked for 1.5 60fts) and no swaybar with QA1 12 way single adjustable shocks and had no issues at all driving the car on the street. My car was a 6 speed so the loser the front end was the better it liked it. I ran my fronts on 2 clicks from full loose and my rears a 6 clicks from full lose. I also ran stock SS springs in the rear.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
By removing the front swaybar you allow the front suspension to act independently. You also remove the friction that the swaybar bushings create. I ran my SS with stock front springs (i know it wasnt the most desireable combo but it worked for 1.5 60fts) and no swaybar with QA1 12 way single adjustable shocks and had no issues at all driving the car on the street. My car was a 6 speed so the loser the front end was the better it liked it. I ran my fronts on 2 clicks from full loose and my rears a 6 clicks from full lose. I also ran stock SS springs in the rear.
So I could use my stock springs with the qa1 12 way adjustable shocks?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:53 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I could use my stock springs with the qa1 12 way adjustable shocks?
I did. I wouldn't say I recommend it. But it worked. The QA1 or AFCO or any other aftermarket spring would be a LOT better for you.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yea the front sway bar is still on the car. If I take it off, do I take it off all the time or just for the track? I have heard of taking it off before, but why does it help? I would leave it off all the time if it won't hurt anything
On my 99 T/A I had the front sway bar was removed and the car was daily driven for over 3 years, as long as you are driving the car reasonably you can drive without the front sway bar no problem. like Jeremy said with the front sway bar removed it allows the front suspension to travel which helps with weight transfer and it also removes the weight of the sway bar from the front of the car which also helps with weight transfer.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: Qa1 adj shocks almost all the way stiff on 1 hr dirve = headace