Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

car slams after going over a speed bump

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car slams after going over a speed bump

Like the title says when I go over a speed bump my car slams down hard only on the pass side I replaced the struts and shocks yesturday thinking that would fix it but it didn't. I have eibach pro kit springs if that makes a differnc any ideas would help me. Oh and if. Ride the speed bump down really slow it won't do it but I know it shouldn't matter really. Thnx for any help
Old 03-30-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you sure it's not something hitting the floor boards like the exhaust or tq arm
Old 03-30-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your bumpstops.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I call that the rear is hitting the bumpstops since you have the pro-kit.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Thnx for the replies I'm sure its not torq arm or exhaust cause its only in the front and its only the pass side that hits I dnt get y the drivr side doesnt do it to
Old 03-30-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, it's in the front...there aren't any bumpstops in the front. Could be a motor mount.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

my guess is your slamming your cat, my car did the same thing the previous owner cut the stock springs on stock decarbon shocks which drop my car like 2inchs and when i went over bumps i'd always slam/bottom out hitting my cat which sits under the pass side so i just would drive over bumps slowly to avoid the banging but now i have koni's and hotchkis springs
Old 03-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Teching In

I'm sorry should said that both cats are cut off just pipe there now I got under the car just a min ago and I dnt see anything scraping.the slam I'm talkn bout is kinda like the strut bottming out with no bump stop there but I have everything in like its supposd to be wats weird is the first few times I go over the bump it'll bottom out. But sometimes it won't bottom out idk wtf is going on but I know it isn't good had a friend say that maybe my subfram is loose on that side wat do y'all think and sorry for bothring everyone so much it pisses me off when I cnt figure somthing simple out.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by egott_91
Oh, it's in the front...there aren't any bumpstops in the front. Could be a motor mount.
There are bumpstops in the front, they come on the shock, they are mounted on the shock shaft.

Originally Posted by blackblurr_00gt
I'm sorry should said that both cats are cut off just pipe there now I got under the car just a min ago and I dnt see anything scraping.the slam I'm talkn bout is kinda like the strut bottming out with no bump stop there but I have everything in like its supposd to be wats weird is the first few times I go over the bump it'll bottom out. But sometimes it won't bottom out idk wtf is going on but I know it isn't good had a friend say that maybe my subfram is loose on that side wat do y'all think and sorry for bothring everyone so much it pisses me off when I cnt figure somthing simple out.
What kind of shocks did you get? (we don't have struts) Did you install them or a shop? If it was you, did you tighten them down enough while the spring was compressed?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check the bushings or the ball joints on the lower arm maybe they are shot. and if you have miles I bet you the rubber bushings are shot on the lower arms.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 69TA
check the bushings or the ball joints on the lower arm maybe they are shot. and if you have miles I bet you the rubber bushings are shot on the lower arms.
yes do what he said
Old 03-31-2011, 07:43 AM
Teching In

Ok I will check the rubber on the arms and the ball joints. And I just got some replacment monros from orlys I know they arnt the best but they have to be better than the 140k decarbons that were on the car and its just the front right doing it. I tightnd everything down with the spring fully compressed. I guess if I dnt find anything wrong ill just drive it till it breaks lol
Old 03-31-2011, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

Mine does the same thing if i go over a speed straight on and to fast. Just learn to go over the speed bumps at a angle and really slow. About 1 tire at a time and you should be fine.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, there are bumpstops in the front integrated in the dustboot over the oem shocks...

Originally Posted by egott_91
Old 03-31-2011, 02:09 PM
Launching!

If it's a camaro or t/a check your torque arm, make sure the bolts are tight where it fastens to the rear... I've had that problem in the past.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bonethugluv
Mine does the same thing if i go over a speed straight on and to fast. Just learn to go over the speed bumps at a angle and really slow. About 1 tire at a time and you should be fine.

Ill start doing this but I still want to figure out y its doing it there has to be something wrong I know its not supposed to slam like this
Old 04-01-2011, 03:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

where are you located check your regional forums and see if u can find a local f-body owner give you a hand just an idea. i've solved many problems that way
Old 04-01-2011, 03:36 AM
Staging Lane

This maybe a long shot but ive heard of it once. The trans crossmember bolts broke on one side of frame and when you hit a good bump it seperates and hit the floor. Like I said its a long shot but I have heard of it before. Its something just to double check

Quick Reply: car slams after going over a speed bump