Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

shock settings suggestions: koni 4/3 kit, strano springs, dana 60

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011 | 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Talking shock settings suggestions: koni 4/3 kit, strano springs, dana 60

Hi everyone!

I pulled the trigger, and now I'm looking to see what other people running a heavier rear end have found for a sweet spot with the koni shocks and strano springs.
Id like to get it set up real close before installing the rear shocks to make my life easier.

So, what has worked well for you? When you post, please let me know what you have tried too, and why you didn't like it. Id like to get some input here to help me decided where to start.

Mods are in the sig, its far from a stock car.

Driving habits: Its a daily driver for one. But, I drive her hard often, so I want it to handle well on fast corners. I know, I'm asking for the world, but I'm just trying to explain what I want the car to do. I accelerate fast sometimes too. I'm currently on stock shocks and springs, so I know the car will ride a bit rougher... and I look forward to it. I just don't want it to jar my teeth over crappy roads with stress cracks.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2011 | 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

no one has a heavier rear end with koni's and strano springs?
Old 05-06-2011 | 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

REALLY?! I cant believe not a single setup like I have...
Old 05-06-2011 | 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not everybody has the same tastes in shock settings. I know I played around with mine for a while (tried two different settings up front, then drove around with the rear seat down and pulled over every so often to fine tune the rears til it was perfect for me).

Might as well try the softest setting on the rear (I think that's what the majority of folks do), and I'd suggest either 4-5 on the fronts for starters.

Did you ask Strano what he recommended?
Old 05-06-2011 | 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the response! I have tried calling him, but he is super swamped right now. I didn't want to bother him if I didn't have to, ya know?

Plus, I want to get these installed this weekend, and I doubt he answers the phone on the weekend.. Maybe Ill PM him just to check.

Did you get tools to adjust the front shocks? I didn't get any.
Old 05-06-2011 | 07:23 PM
Banned

all you need is a long 2.5mm Allen Wrench. and even after 5 years on my springs and shocks, i still adjust the rear shocks. the fronts most people seem to like 4 sweeps from full soft as a starting point.

And Sam is out of the shop for the next week or so racing.

and a good read:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...cs-inside.html
Old 05-06-2011 | 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Interesting. Can you feel the bottom out of the front shocks when doing the "sweeps"?

And I have third gen rear shocks to help control my dana 60. Is full soft the best place to start there? I hear it is a PITA to ajust them because they have to come off the car.

Trending Topics

Old 05-06-2011 | 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FirebirdStud
Interesting. Can you feel the bottom out of the front shocks when doing the "sweeps"?
What do you mean the "bottom out"? You mean when you run out of adjustment (I think its 9 or 9 1/2 sweeps)? If thats what you are talking about it just wont let you turn it anymore.

And I have third gen rear shocks to help control my dana 60. Is full soft the best place to start there? I hear it is a PITA to ajust them because they have to come off the car.
You can try full soft, it certainly wont hurt. And they arn't that bad, once the car is jacked up (with the axle hanging) they are easy to get on and off.
Old 05-06-2011 | 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

4 sweeps from full soft up front and 1 click from full soft in the rear is a very good starting point.
Old 05-08-2011 | 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok, thanks for the good starting point! Ive ran into some rust on the front shock upper mounting locations... no sure how Im going to deal with this just yet. Ugh stupid rust.
Old 05-14-2011 | 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sam suggested 4 sweeps from soft up front, and full soft out back. At least while I break in the shocks.
Getting the car buttoned up tomorrow, and alignment monday so I can drive it to see what I think about the new setup!
Old 05-16-2011 | 01:46 AM
On The Tree

I have the front set at 6, and the rear at 6 (1/4 turns) from full soft. I might go up more in the back, but for now it's fine.
Old 05-16-2011 | 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got the car aligned tonight finally, and reset the pinion angle and put in a new steering gear. This car is like brand new now! haha.

I have the third gen rear shocks, so I have them set at full soft. Rides pretty stiff right now, but I hear the shocks need some time to wear in.

Quick Reply: shock settings suggestions: koni 4/3 kit, strano springs, dana 60